Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 307973 times)

Offline Volante99

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #1190 on: November 11, 2019, 07:21:16 PM »
Delete-
Sorry double post- apologies

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1191 on: November 11, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »
While Portnoy was obviously not bluffing, perhaps a better way to put it is that he never thought they'd go on without him.  He had taken such control of the band that he probably thought they either wouldn't go on without him or they'd fail if they tried...and he was wrong on both accounts.  Because Dream Theater, the brand name is a business, I suspect he was still a part of or at least connected enough to the organization that when Portnoy got wind of the fact that they had hired a new drummer, that is when he thought, "oh shit," and then tried to get his spot back.  I don't buy the "I tried to go back to save the band from ourselves" line he later gave. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1192 on: November 11, 2019, 07:32:35 PM »
It's amazing that we are on the cusp of a new decade, and Portnoy is still Portnoying as always.

Yes I signed back in to write this. See you in 2030.

Hey Daddy!  Miss you here!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1193 on: November 11, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »
Not calling his bluff, but from an outsider's perspective I've always been under the impression that MP thought they would do whatever he said and if he wanted a break, they would agree, and he was blindsided by the fact that they didn't feel the same way--I'm sure no matter what he was shocked that they didn't agree and decided to move on. I don't think we'll ever know the full details, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that hotel meeting a week before we found out.

I've always felt since it happened that it was what was best for both parties. DT got to continue and MP got to be a free agent and do whatever he wanted and play with whomever he wanted. That's why the mud slinging from MP has always bothered me, I thought he was happy with where he was--why the constant need to bring up the past almost 10 years later

EDIT: Kev basically said what I said, he just put it better  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1194 on: November 11, 2019, 07:34:46 PM »
While Portnoy was obviously not bluffing, perhaps a better way to put it is that he never thought they'd go on without him.  He had taken such control of the band that he probably thought they either wouldn't go on without him or they'd fail if they tried...and he was wrong on both accounts.  Because Dream Theater, the brand name is a business, I suspect he was still a part of or at least connected enough to the organization that when Portnoy got wind of the fact that they had hired a new drummer, that is when he thought, "oh shit," and then tried to get his spot back.  I don't buy the "I tried to go back to save the band from ourselves" line he later gave.

I think this is spot on.....because of his massive ego. It never crossed his mind that they’d even consider another drummer. That’s why for years I’ve used the term ‘holding the band hostage’ when describing what he tried to do to them....because it fits perfectly.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1195 on: November 11, 2019, 07:47:08 PM »
I guess I’m unaware of the historical inaccuracies. Portnoy left the band in September, asked to rejoin in December but the damage was done, by late 2010/early 2011 communications appear to be completely broken down and the door was shut to Portnoy. Auditions for a new drummer had began by November. My “calling his bluff” is more a read between the lines assessment of the situation. Again I won’t claim that DT didn’t try to work things out prior to the public announcements. What is certain is that the situation escalated rapidly and deteriorated even faster. I’m also sure that Portnoy is reluctant in admitting he was holding the band hostage with power plays. I’m actually amazed he admits, publicly, he wanted to rejoin DT almost immediately.

Well, he claimed it was something he was willing to do "for the fans". Don't remember the exact words he used back then, but he played the "I can't do this anymore but I'm going to be a martyr for the fans" card and made it look like the other guys just didn't care for him at all.

And, well, the whole trying to rejoin thing only happened AFTER the A7X guys told him he was not going to become their full time drummer and he found himself without a steady gig to pay the bills. Only then he realized what he had actually done and went back running to see if it wasn't too late for him, but they already had auditioned 7 guys, recorded a big documentary for it, and hired Mangini as a full time member of the band, there was just no turning back at that point. I felt really bad for the guy at that point, but he brought it all on himself, unfortunately.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1196 on: November 11, 2019, 08:04:18 PM »
Yeah, I think the following summarizes what happened:

MP has always taken pride in describing himself as an "OCD maniac that oversees and orchestrates every tiny aspect of his projects and life", and the moment DT slipped away from that stuff it made him crash because he thought the band would always be in line with his ideas and/or plan. PLOT TWIST, they weren't and they were never gonna be. In all fairness, that must've been a pretty hard crash. I feel it basically put his whole life upside down.

I don't wanna sound like I pity him, tho. I kinda did in 2010-2011 because some of the stuff he said back then I could picture him with a pair of puppy eyes posting "I tried to do occasional work throughout the year but it was not meant to be... the ball is in their court, not mine..." (but with far more suspension points) but he's been such an ass about so many things that I basically stopped caring about his crap so long ago.

But hey, DarkLol, if you stopped caring so long ago why do you bother posting so much about this shit? Funny question you ask. I feel that every time a piece of juicy MP gossip surfaces it makes me remember my early 20s in the 2010 and it brings that part out of me. We all enjoy a healthy dose of gossip and shitposting every now and then. It's sad to see the guy digging himself deeper into a hole of self-pity but I really couldn't be happier with most of the things DT has done in the past decade.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:14:42 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1197 on: November 11, 2019, 08:27:07 PM »
“A hole of self-pity”?   Cmon.   That’s just mean. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1198 on: November 11, 2019, 08:27:59 PM »
Not as mean as saying his old friend’s vocals were annoying.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1199 on: November 11, 2019, 08:29:25 PM »
Don't blame the response,  blame the agitator.

Mike can't help himself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1200 on: November 11, 2019, 10:56:01 PM »
I like how my three biggest fans reply right away. Love you guys :*

And in relative order of bigness too.

small, medium, and large

:RJ:

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1201 on: November 12, 2019, 12:36:45 AM »
Well, I was more of thinking he knows everything he says can be taken out of context, and he’s pretty much hinted that he doesn’t like JLB that much, so it’s probably not a good thing to say ever. And you’re right, least of all to someone in the media. But why is he the only one that takes jabs (for the most part, maybe JLB has said something before, I think he has). I think everyone in the studio was kinda shocked when he said it.

And that's really it, isn't it?  I don't know how he meant it - and neither does anyone here - but it COULD be interpreted at least seven different ways*, only one of them really that deserves an apology to James but al least five of which are actually nothing to even comment on.   But it seems like it's okay to assume the worst, and turn around and call him a "pig" and worse. 

I don't know why this is a surprise at this point; he clearly is at war with his need to be open and transparent, and his need to be giving and responsive to those asking him for information. He's also said that he's good with DT and he's got a good relationship, at least with some of the guys at this point... I think I'd leave the drama to them and let them sort it out.  If it's not an issue between Mike/John/Jordan/John/James/Mike - and the nonsense around the first Sons record clearly isn't/wasn't - why should it be an issue for us?

*(James' vocals - as in his specific singing - are annoying...)
(Vocals - either the singing itself or the need for a vocal line/melody - of any kind, including Mike's, on DT material is annoying...)
(Vocals - either the singing itself or the need for a vocal line/melody - of any kind in general are annoying...)
(He was excited to write material with John and Jordan without having to write vocal melodies/lyrics...)
(He was being self-deprecating about his vocal melodies/lyrics in the time period where he felt compelled to write a lot of words ('97-'99)...)
(It was a reaction to the "load" of writing a "hit single" with someone like Desmond Child...)
(It was a reaction to the burden of writing an entire album-length story...)

I'll give you another one.

There was clearly a discussion around not understanding the language. What was said before this clip started? There might be some context missing.

My first thought was that maybe these guys were mentioning they were having issues enjoying DT because they can't understand the language/lyrics.

I don't know, I just don't subscribe to guilty until proven innocent. Especially when we have only 30 seconds of a discussion to dissect.

Agreed. I watched that YouTube clip and I'm not 100% convinced Portnoy was saying LaBrie is a bad singer. There's definitely some context missing. I don't think the interviewer was even talking about Liquid Tension.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1202 on: November 12, 2019, 01:32:52 AM »
I feel like breaking a lance for Russell Allen. While I agree that James is the voice of DT and the moment he leaves, I leave too (never say never but I can't imagine myself appreciating a DT album without James on it), judging Russell based on A-Mob is like like judging the Star Wars saga based on Jar Jar Binks.

The guy CAN sing and he's amazing, powerful and heartfelt when needed. Still I wouldn't see him in DT, but with Symphony X he did amazing things, and he continues to do so when he doesn't fall back on the "tough guy" vocals.

S-X songs like Paradise Lost, The Sacrifice, The Edge of Forever, Candlelight Fantasia and the magnum opus The Divine Wings of Tragedy show what Russell can do at his very best.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1203 on: November 12, 2019, 01:34:13 AM »
Well, I was more of thinking he knows everything he says can be taken out of context, and he’s pretty much hinted that he doesn’t like JLB that much, so it’s probably not a good thing to say ever. And you’re right, least of all to someone in the media. But why is he the only one that takes jabs (for the most part, maybe JLB has said something before, I think he has). I think everyone in the studio was kinda shocked when he said it.

And that's really it, isn't it?  I don't know how he meant it - and neither does anyone here - but it COULD be interpreted at least seven different ways*, only one of them really that deserves an apology to James but al least five of which are actually nothing to even comment on.   But it seems like it's okay to assume the worst, and turn around and call him a "pig" and worse. 

I don't know why this is a surprise at this point; he clearly is at war with his need to be open and transparent, and his need to be giving and responsive to those asking him for information. He's also said that he's good with DT and he's got a good relationship, at least with some of the guys at this point... I think I'd leave the drama to them and let them sort it out.  If it's not an issue between Mike/John/Jordan/John/James/Mike - and the nonsense around the first Sons record clearly isn't/wasn't - why should it be an issue for us?

(Vocals - either the singing itself or the need for a vocal line/melody - of any kind, including Mike's, on DT material is annoying...)
(Vocals - either the singing itself or the need for a vocal line/melody - of any kind in general are annoying...)
(He was excited to write material with John and Jordan without having to write vocal melodies/lyrics...)
(He was being self-deprecating about his vocal melodies/lyrics in the time period where he felt compelled to write a lot of words ('97-'99)...)
(It was a reaction to the "load" of writing a "hit single" with someone like Desmond Child...)

There was clearly a discussion around not understanding the language. What was said before this clip started? There might be some context missing.

My first thought was that maybe these guys were mentioning they were having issues enjoying DT because they can't understand the language/lyrics.

I don't know, I just don't subscribe to guilty until proven innocent. Especially when we have only 30 seconds of a discussion to dissect.

Agreed. I watched that YouTube clip and I'm not 100% convinced Portnoy was saying LaBrie is a bad singer. There's definitely some context missing. I don't think the interviewer was even talking about Liquid Tension.

Your wife is caught on tape cheating and you say: I'm not 100% convinced there's definitely some context missing maybe she is just practicing the art of sex :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1204 on: November 12, 2019, 03:25:08 AM »
I feel like breaking a lance for Russell Allen. While I agree that James is the voice of DT and the moment he leaves, I leave too (never say never but I can't imagine myself appreciating a DT album without James on it), judging Russell based on A-Mob is like like judging the Star Wars saga based on Jar Jar Binks.

The guy CAN sing and he's amazing, powerful and heartfelt when needed. Still I wouldn't see him in DT, but with Symphony X he did amazing things, and he continues to do so when he doesn't fall back on the "tough guy" vocals.

S-X songs like Paradise Lost, The Sacrifice, The Edge of Forever, Candlelight Fantasia and the magnum opus The Divine Wings of Tragedy show what Russell can do at his very best.

Absolutely agree with all of this. I'd also throw in Whispers, A Winter's Dream Part 1, The Accolade, Through The Looking Glass, Lady Of The Snow, Communion & The Oracle, some parts of The Odyssey title track, When All Is Lost, & Without You as examples of his beautiful singing.

I also think songs like Of Sins & Shadows, Smoke & Mirrors, Evolution (The Grand Design), Fallen, Eve of Seduction, Nevermore, & Legend show that how powerful his voice can be in a more intense metal setting, without it sounding overly gritty.

But yeah, despite me preferring him as a singer, I don't think his voice would fit well with Dream Theater. Imagining him singing something like The Looking Glass or Barstool Warrior is pretty difficult for me, but hearing his voice on something like Bridges In The Sky would be AMAZING. :hefdaddy

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. I'm kind of a Russel Allen fangirl & wanted to step in to defend him. :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: November 12, 2019, 05:55:24 AM »
Not as mean as saying his old friend’s vocals were annoying.

IF he said that.   We can't agree that that's exactly what he meant.   (And I'd ask the group; was James ever an "old friend"?)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: November 12, 2019, 05:57:28 AM »

Your wife is caught on tape cheating and you say: I'm not 100% convinced there's definitely some context missing maybe she is just practicing the art of sex :lol

Great example that has little to do with the scenario at hand.  More like "standing on a sidewalk holding another man's hand". and I can tell you from first hand experience that YES, context IS important in that scenario.  Granted it's not a 50-50 split, but not EVERYONE here is solid in agreement that that was exactly what Mike meant.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1207 on: November 12, 2019, 07:09:18 AM »

Great example that has little to do with the scenario at hand.  More like "standing on a sidewalk holding another man's hand". and I can tell you from first hand experience that YES, context IS important in that scenario.  Granted it's not a 50-50 split, but not EVERYONE here is solid in agreement that that was exactly what Mike meant.

Seriously? Come on! There are two major FACTS surrounding that statement which makes its interpretation very easy and straightforward:

(I) He asks if they are "on air" and get really shocked when being replied yes!
(II) We all know the bad blood and disrupted relationship between MP and JLB!   

And BTW what other scenario/context might apply? What are you expecting to assume the clear meaning behind such a statement? A signed and notarized Affidavit?   

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1208 on: November 12, 2019, 07:13:56 AM »
I guess I’m unaware of the historical inaccuracies. Portnoy left the band in September, asked to rejoin in December but the damage was done, by late 2010/early 2011 communications appear to be completely broken down and the door was shut to Portnoy. Auditions for a new drummer had began by November. My “calling his bluff” is more a read between the lines assessment of the situation. Again I won’t claim that DT didn’t try to work things out prior to the public announcements. What is certain is that the situation escalated rapidly and deteriorated even faster. I’m also sure that Portnoy is reluctant in admitting he was holding the band hostage with power plays. I’m actually amazed he admits, publicly, he wanted to rejoin DT almost immediately.
Yeah, I thought this was the chronology of the situation too. Whether you call it a bluff or a burn or whatever, at some point when DT had already moved on, MP was still thinking the situation was open for a reconcilliation, because it hasn't been more than a few months. I think he was very sincere in wanting a break, and that he thought his pitch to the band would work 100% because this was the definitive lineup of the band.

I hope MP ignores this completely. No replying to the news outlets, no replying to fans baiting him to answer in the comments. An apology would ring hollow - you can publicly apologize for offensive (to a large number of people) jokes, not insulting (to one person) ones. And there's no context that excuses the ex drummer of a band saying the band has annoying vocals - if it was about the language thing, he would have said confusing, if he was talking about DT's detractors, he would have said "you know how people always say that DT has annoying vocals, I was talking about them" right after. So if he said he was taken out of context, that would be a little lame.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1209 on: November 12, 2019, 07:27:17 AM »
Hey Stads,

What my Mike did was deplorable.

:corn
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1210 on: November 12, 2019, 07:27:24 AM »
Stadler, once again I will point out that it is possible MP had a benign intent behind what he said.  You are right that we can't agree on what he meant.  But what you have not addressed is, as a few others have said, it just doesn't matter.  It is obvious from his reaction once he realized he was on the air that, whatever the intent, his comment was likely to be taken negatively.  And that being the case, as he has done in the past, he showed a glaring lack of judgment and maturity in making a comment that is likely to be taken that way toward his old bandmates.  He just shouldn't have said it, period.  He screwed up.  Majorly.  Again.  This is a pattern.  And he is losing fans because of it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:42:00 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emtee

« Reply #1211 on: November 12, 2019, 07:40:06 AM »
Yes he is. I am an example of one.

He was a huge influence on me. Everything he sold, I bought.
I saw him whenever he came anywhere near my town. I
defended him, talked him up...there weren't many
bigger fans.

There are only so many behavioral passes I can give. At this
point, he has become  someone I no longer admire, nor someone
I want to support.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1212 on: November 12, 2019, 07:40:37 AM »
If he would have left out the word "annoying", nobody would be talking about it.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: November 12, 2019, 07:40:47 AM »

Seriously? Come on! There are two major FACTS surrounding that statement which makes its interpretation very easy and straightforward:

(I) He asks if they are "on air" and get really shocked when being replied yes!
(II) We all know the bad blood and disrupted relationship between MP and JLB!   

And BTW what other scenario/context might apply? What are you expecting to assume the clear meaning behind such a statement? A signed and notarized Affidavit?

I've already given several.  Seven, in fact, which you quoted.   The two points you made MAY mean what you think it does but we don't know.  We just don't.  His "on air" comment may have been just about the brouhaha that's going on here; if memory serves, he has lurked in the past.

Offline PoisonGodmachine

« Reply #1214 on: November 12, 2019, 07:44:49 AM »
Ok guys, I've created this account JUST TO CLEAR THE AIR:

Mike wasn't talking about LTE, they were talking about crazy fans. He told a story where a fan ran on stage and couldn't speak English, so he just kept saying "please, please", then he got kicked off the stage.
The host said "but the intention was good" (intention, not Liquid Tension), but the problem was the language barrier. Then Mike said that the language barrier is exactly what made it  good, and joked "it's like Dream Theater without annoying vocals, it's perfect."
There was no mention of LTE at all.

Still, there was no reason to take a random jab at James' vocals, even though he thought they were off air (actually they were off air on the radio, but the live video feed was still running).

Here's the full interview: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7nw3js
The part that matters starts at 07:35

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: November 12, 2019, 07:49:40 AM »
"it's like Dream Theater without annoying vocals, it's perfect."

Still, there was no reason to take a random jab at James' vocals,

It really doesn't matter if LTE was being discussed or not. He....once again....jumped on an opportunity to slight JLB. Were this the first instance of this 10 years after they broke up then sure....it's not a big deal. But this is ANOTHER instance of MP just not being self aware enough to realize that even IF it was a 'joke' or in jest....(which I personally doubt) that it's not a good idea to say.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1216 on: November 12, 2019, 07:50:47 AM »
So I’m even more confused now, what exactly is like DT without annoying vocals?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1217 on: November 12, 2019, 07:56:16 AM »
Still, there was no reason to take a random jab at James' vocals, even though he thought they were off air (actually they were off air on the radio, but the live video feed was still running).
Yeah, that's just the part of this that there is no context that can justify "it's like Dream Theater without annoying vocals". There's no need to clear the air with us, because he wasn't taking a jab at us. He didn't say "it's that part of the DT fanbase that isn't on the annoying forums". He has been taking shots at his former bandmates for a decade, and we're the party that's been observing that and lamenting that, since most of us are fans of all members of DT. That's all.

Welcome to the forum, even if you registered just for this, stick around for a bit  :angel:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: November 12, 2019, 08:02:00 AM »
I'm not sure the idea of being on the air or not matters, other than the fact it got out due to it.  It just makes me wonder, if he's comfortable saying this off air on an interview, that's still saying a lot in my mind.  It's not the same as talking to a good friend of someone you can confide in, you're talking to an interviewer who even if its not recorded or aired, is going to hear you talk shit about a former band member and isn't going to forget that. 

Have any of you ever been in a room when someone just starts talking shit about someone else and you start to think to yourself, "wow, this person's kind of a dick for just openly talking so poorly about someone else" because while it was only one comment, I can totally see someone feeling that way in this situation and why would you want to do that?  Keep your negative personal comments to yourself.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1219 on: November 12, 2019, 08:21:07 AM »
Have any of you ever been in a room when someone just starts talking shit about someone else and you start to think to yourself, "wow, this person's kind of a dick for just openly talking so poorly about someone else" because while it was only one comment, I can totally see someone feeling that way in this situation and why would you want to do that?  Keep your negative personal comments to yourself.
That's a good point. hadn't thought of it that way. I'm one of those people that can remain good friends with both parties after a breakup. As a rule I don't have a problem with one of them talking poorly of the other. That's kind of to be expected. Where I have been offended is when somebody else talks shit about one of them on behalf of the other. That seemed like baiting me, and that's uncool. It's also not what happened here. MP had an opinion about someone he broke up with and he expressed it. People got pissed off, and that's that.

I was very much of the opinion that it was a pretty straight jab at JLB. MP finds his vocals annoying. I think he's made that kind of clear. That said, referring to it with regard to the gazillions of people who feel that way is a pretty different remark.  It won't matter here, but that's an important bit of context to consider.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: November 12, 2019, 08:30:12 AM »
For me it just comes down to decency and in this matter I don't think MP has shown any, at all....since the break. It still remains all about him and it always will. I'm sure JP and the gang could make comment after comment about countless habits that MP had that were annoying to them.....spitting all over the stage and them multiple times a show just to look cool.....changing speeds and timing of songs because of antics to draw attention to himself......but the point is they haven't and don't.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: November 12, 2019, 08:56:24 AM »
Ok guys, I've created this account JUST TO CLEAR THE AIR:

Mike wasn't talking about LTE, they were talking about crazy fans. He told a story where a fan ran on stage and couldn't speak English, so he just kept saying "please, please", then he got kicked off the stage.
The host said "but the intention was good" (intention, not Liquid Tension), but the problem was the language barrier. Then Mike said that the language barrier is exactly what made it  good, and joked "it's like Dream Theater without annoying vocals, it's perfect."
There was no mention of LTE at all.

Here's the full interview: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7nw3js
The part that matters starts at 07:35

Looks like Blabbermouth has updated their story to reflect this.

Also, just a gut feeling, but I'm thinking this whole situation could potentially squash any possible 25th anniversary LTE activity in two years.  I can't imagine the DT guys reuniting with MP for LTE after this "annoying vocals" comment out of respect for JLB.  It's a shame.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:04:14 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1222 on: November 12, 2019, 09:17:46 AM »
Blabbermouth also nicely shit on this forum.

What it should have said was -- based on information from a member of dreamtheaterforums.org.

The way it is written now basically makes it the forum's fault (bosk's) for the wrong info. And that's not accurate. There goes blabbermouth, trying to find clicks instead of writing the appropriate headlines and leads...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: November 12, 2019, 09:23:11 AM »
Blabbermouth also nicely shit on this forum.

What it should have said was -- based on information from a member of dreamtheaterforums.org.

The way it is written now basically makes it the forum's fault (bosk's) for the wrong info. And that's not accurate. There goes blabbermouth, trying to find clicks instead of writing the appropriate headlines and leads...

WOW

**The original version of this article — based on information from DreamTheaterForums.org — incorrectly stated Portnoy and the radio show host were discussing LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT when Mike made his comment about DREAM THEATER.**

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-says-liquid-tension-experiment-was-like-dream-theater-without-annoying-vocals/

is this true?  Their "news" came from here? 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1224 on: November 12, 2019, 09:24:45 AM »
It's possible someone from here first brought it to their attention, and they posted the story based on what was in this thread rather than doing their own research and vetting the story first.  Dunno.  It wouldn't surprise me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."