Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 307999 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2975 on: January 31, 2023, 01:50:25 PM »
Quick note re: Eric Gillette.

I love the man, from his guitar playing, to his singing, to his stage presence and the conversations I've had with him off stage. And he's an amazing musician on other instruments as well. That said, having his two solo albums, you really see where the magic with a guy like Neal Morse happens. His ability to take the raw pieces of Eric's work and infuse and arrange them in his masterful songwriting ways, really takes Eric to the next level. On a technical scale, no question Eric runs circles around Neal in several ways, but Neal just has that *it* factor when composing that is tough for many to equal.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2976 on: January 31, 2023, 03:56:32 PM »
I'm just waiting for the Tejeida/Gillette/Sandnes album that "doesn't exist" ;), which IMO will showcase much more of Eric in his own element vs with NMB.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2977 on: January 31, 2023, 05:14:22 PM »
I'm just waiting for the Tejeida/Gillette/Sandnes album that "doesn't exist" ;), which IMO will showcase much more of Eric in his own element vs with NMB.

:metal :hefdaddy

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2978 on: January 31, 2023, 05:36:22 PM »
Mike Rocks
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2979 on: January 31, 2023, 06:41:19 PM »

I love the man, from his guitar playing, to his singing, to his stage presence and the conversations I've had with him off stage. And he's an amazing musician on other instruments as well. That said, having his two solo albums, you really see where the magic with a guy like Neal Morse happens. His ability to take the raw pieces of Eric's work and infuse and arrange them in his masterful songwriting ways, really takes Eric to the next level. On a technical scale, no question Eric runs circles around Neal in several ways, but Neal just has that *it* factor when composing that is tough for many to equal.

Agreed.  Being great at songwriting trumps everything in music.  You can have the greatest voice in the world, or have the most technical skill on an instrument, but if you can't write a song, then you have to rely on others for the hard part (writing good songs).

Online Mladen

« Reply #2980 on: February 01, 2023, 01:19:56 AM »
"Mike Portnoy Breaks Down His Favorite Teenage Albums"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zH7gmLJxws
That was such a cool video. I love it when Mike nerds out and talks music.  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2981 on: February 01, 2023, 07:39:54 AM »

Agreed.  Being great at songwriting trumps everything in music.  You can have the greatest voice in the world, or have the most technical skill on an instrument, but if you can't write a song, then you have to rely on others for the hard part (writing good songs).
True.  And it seems so simple to grasp, but many people don't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2982 on: March 02, 2023, 10:08:18 AM »
A video of MP behind a kit playing some of his favorite intros from bands that influenced him, as well as some of his creation, popped up on my feed yesterday.

He has many amazing qualities as a drummer but while watching the vid it occurred to me that his memory might be his most prized asset. He astounds me in this regard. He would name an intro and play it. One after another. Maybe my age is catching up to me but I couldn't do that without a refresher for each intro. The dude could put an elephant to shame.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2983 on: March 02, 2023, 10:13:20 AM »
A video of MP behind a kit playing some of his favorite intros from bands that influenced him, as well as some of his creation, popped up on my feed yesterday.

He has many amazing qualities as a drummer but while watching the vid it occurred to me that his memory might be his most prized asset. He astounds me in this regard. He would name an intro and play it. One after another. Maybe my age is catching up to me but I couldn't do that without a refresher for each intro. The dude could put an elephant to shame.

This.  Now expand that to entire ALBUMS not just intros.  I really DON'T know how he does it.  It's not like Kiss, who has been playing the same setlist more or less since 1984.  Some of the records he's played on he's only done live a dozen times at best. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2984 on: March 02, 2023, 10:45:17 AM »

This.  Now expand that to entire ALBUMS not just intros.  I really DON'T know how he does it.  It's not like Kiss, who has been playing the same setlist more or less since 1984.  Some of the records he's played on he's only done live a dozen times at best.

I've always been amazed at not just him, but Dream Theater in general, being able to play all those songs back when they'd change up sets and just be able to play them.  So many intracacies just stored in the brain.  I will say, to be fair, I'm sure we all remember lots of things at our day jobs and it may be similar.  They play music for a living, being able to remember all the parts probably comes with the territory of such a job.  I still think it's amazing though because it does show a passion for the music beyond just memorizing your parts.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2985 on: March 02, 2023, 10:50:29 AM »

I've always been amazed at not just him, but Dream Theater in general, being able to play all those songs back when they'd change up sets and just be able to play them.  So many intracacies just stored in the brain.  I will say, to be fair, I'm sure we all remember lots of things at our day jobs and it may be similar.  They play music for a living, being able to remember all the parts probably comes with the territory of such a job.  I still think it's amazing though because it does show a passion for the music beyond just memorizing your parts.

Totally.  JP is like that as well (or at least was--I think the passage of more time and the volume of material he has written is catching up a bit.  I remember the story of when they got together with the Queensryche guys when they were planning the tour, and were talking about setlists, and Wilton saying with respect to some of the older QR songs they hadn't played in awhile that he would have to go back and relearn those songs if they played them because he couldn't remember how they went, and JP grabbing a guitar and going, "Oh, let me show you real quick.  It goes like this..."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2986 on: March 02, 2023, 10:57:19 AM »
 :lol that's great

I follow Mark Morton (guitarist of Lamb of God, he's very active on twitter and will respond) and he's said he'll go watch youtubers playing Lamb of God videos to relearn how to play the old rarer songs when they come on the setlist.  In some ways, I get that and it's honest and respectable way to learn your parts, but also, it does make me think of how I bet JP wouldn't need to do that.  I feel like a musician on his level (or MP, JR, and many others) they could probably listen to the song again and start remembering how to play it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2987 on: March 02, 2023, 11:46:44 AM »
Rudess remarked once something along the lines of JP having the best musical memory he has encountered.  If they were going to plan to put something in the setlist that the band hadn't played in 15 years, he would just remember it, or mostly remember it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2988 on: March 02, 2023, 11:51:07 AM »
Rudess remarked once something along the lines of JP having the best musical memory he has encountered.  If they were going to plan to put something in the setlist that the band hadn't played in 15 years, he would just remember it, or mostly remember it.

I'll buy that for a dollar, after seeing his solo show on consecutive nights.  What sounds like "jamming" most assuredly is NOT.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2989 on: March 02, 2023, 11:51:30 AM »

Oh man I wish I had that. I literally video record myself playing almost every riff I write because I won't remember it 10 minutes late and listening to it on audio only doesn't mean I'll remember or be able to figure out how to play it. I currently have 41 videos on my phone for the new song I'm writing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2990 on: March 02, 2023, 01:12:00 PM »
I'm the same way, if I write a great melody or tune I need to record it asap, it'll be gone by the time I come back to the guitar if I don't record it somewhere

Offline Adami

« Reply #2991 on: March 02, 2023, 01:22:33 PM »
I'm the same way, if I write a great melody or tune I need to record it asap, it'll be gone by the time I come back to the guitar if I don't record it somewhere

Yea, I also just have an awful ear. At least for stringed instruments. I've written whole songs and now I have no idea how to play 90% of them. Maybe if I sat down for hours I could get somewhere, but it's unlikely. I usually need to see my hands on the frets to know what I'm doing. Really lame. Good thing I'm mostly a drummer  :lol
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2992 on: March 02, 2023, 02:21:00 PM »

Yeah, this is an awesome video. I really enjoyed it.

In terms of the memory aspect, most of what Mike was playing (the 70s/80s stuff) he learnt when he was a teenager. If I think of myself, I learnt the rhythm guitar parts of the entire Metallica Masters of Puppets and Justice albums when I was 17/18 years old and played along to those albums 100s of times. Today, many, many years later I can still pick up a guitar and play all those parts like it was yesterday. However, I also played bass in a cover band for 10 years when I was in my late 30s into my 40s and now a few years later I can barely remember how to play any of those songs.

So I think what is amazing about Mike is that he can retain the newer as well as the old.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2993 on: June 28, 2023, 04:52:06 PM »
Mike has posted a very cryptic post saying:

Coming soon…✨#stars

...with four pictures of the nighttime sky with stars shining.
https://www.facebook.com/100044540401846/posts/pfbid0bxzMJJhAEogYjnzJaWKxQvNQZgJR9UPmw6A7angBNRWzu6NmN941jgm36Ramnayal/?mibextid=Nif5oz

New album/project/show coming?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2994 on: June 28, 2023, 05:04:39 PM »
MP is going to be on dancing with the stars, calling it now

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2995 on: June 28, 2023, 05:17:47 PM »
Mike has posted a very cryptic post saying:

Coming soon…✨#stars

...with four pictures of the nighttime sky with stars shining.
https://www.facebook.com/100044540401846/posts/pfbid0bxzMJJhAEogYjnzJaWKxQvNQZgJR9UPmw6A7angBNRWzu6NmN941jgm36Ramnayal/?mibextid=Nif5oz

New album/project/show coming?

-Marc.

It's the music video for TWD song Stars.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Adami

« Reply #2996 on: June 28, 2023, 05:30:49 PM »
Dammit. Thought he was gonna do a Star Trek concept album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2997 on: June 28, 2023, 07:24:29 PM »

I would LOVE for a metal band to do a Star Trek or Star Wars or MCU themed concept album. Healthy doses of cheese would be no problem for me. Arjen does do sci-fi themed albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2998 on: June 28, 2023, 07:28:38 PM »

I would LOVE for a metal band to do a Star Trek or Star Wars or MCU themed concept album. Healthy doses of cheese would be no problem for me. Arjen does do sci-fi themed albums.

Check out Galactic Empire
https://open.spotify.com/album/5BzHFeFeMhWKGGN5raEMlF?si=--r_-s_GQ0az4EWrvSGStg
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2999 on: June 28, 2023, 07:30:01 PM »

They're touring in the fall with Hanabie from Japan opening.. I'd kill to hit that show

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3000 on: June 28, 2023, 07:38:48 PM »

They're touring in the fall with Hanabie from Japan opening.. I'd kill to hit that show

They are playing in..literally..your neck of the woods in July.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #3001 on: June 28, 2023, 07:42:01 PM »

A bunch of Pagans Minds stuff is inspired by Stargate.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3002 on: June 28, 2023, 08:32:20 PM »

They are playing in..literally..your neck of the woods in July.

But that's not with Hanabie, they're the ones I want to see  :lol

That show is on a Friday though, may be a fun one to hit...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 08:39:20 PM by lonestar »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3003 on: August 25, 2023, 08:31:30 AM »
Mike was on Eddie Trunk's new youtube show That Rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGQZwXojY_Y

Honestly got a few laughs from this, Flying Circus  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3004 on: August 25, 2023, 08:33:28 AM »
I saw that yesterday on youtube but have yet to watch it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3005 on: August 25, 2023, 09:16:49 AM »
That intro was like 18 minutes long.  Nice AC/DC knockoff!  :) ;)

Top Six Side Projects:
1. Asia
2. Flying Colors
3. Rainbow (started as a side project to Deep Purple)
4. Slash And The Conspirators
5. Transatlantic
6. Temple Of The Dog

Hon Mention: Coverdale - Page; Velvet Revolver; The Power Station; The Panic Channel (side project to Jane's Addiction)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 10:46:52 AM by Stadler »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3006 on: August 25, 2023, 09:48:45 AM »

I thought the same thing about the intro, and I believe this is the format of their show.  They do like 20 minutes of their own thing before bringing on the guest.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3007 on: August 25, 2023, 09:50:55 AM »

I thought the same thing about the intro, and I believe this is the format of their show.  They do like 20 minutes of their own thing before bringing on the guest.

No, I meant just the playing of the song (I was exaggerating with the 18 minutes)!!!!  :) :) :)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3008 on: August 25, 2023, 10:33:15 AM »
Mike was on Eddie Trunk's new youtube show That Rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGQZwXojY_Y

Honestly got a few laughs from this, Flying Circus  :lol

I watched it last night, was a really fun watch. I skipped through most of the beginning segment. The shenanigans get a bit to much at times.

Interesting notes from MP that he'll be a drummer at one of the games for Seattle Seahawks drumline .

Eddie asked him about dream Theater and loving the friendship they all have now.

Interesting discussion about how sidebands are everyone's thing now.   

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3009 on: August 25, 2023, 10:53:07 AM »
Jim said he was going to ask Mike about Twisted Sister and he didn't.  I meant to ask him in Tennessee and I chickened out.  Dee had mentioned that they may do a handful of fundraising/charity type gigs, and I'd really like to see one show with Mike in the band.