Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 308010 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #1120 on: November 11, 2019, 09:20:08 AM »
Well MP was ruining Dream Theater with his vocals so...

I probably wouldn't have gone so far as to say "ruin," but I pretty much feel the same way. 

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1121 on: November 11, 2019, 09:25:01 AM »
Well MP was ruining Dream Theater with his vocals so...

I probably wouldn't have gone so far as to say "ruin," but I pretty much feel the same way. 

Ruin is a strong word, but once he began to insert himself into the second lead vocalist role, the songs started suffering. I think his vocals on The Glass Prison are fine. Not much or anything else after that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1122 on: November 11, 2019, 09:28:44 AM »
Mike Portnoy: is Mike Portnoy again

Me: SMH
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1123 on: November 11, 2019, 09:52:18 AM »
To me, it's just another example of MP not controlling himself, and sticking his foot in his mouth.

It doesn't matter HOW he meant it. The fact he said it, even under the guise he was off-air, speaks volumes. Enough already. Grow the F up. Sure, depending on context you could take it as a joke (all those nutty sharp high notes, har har, etc.). But MP just never seems to get the big picture.  It's sad, really.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1124 on: November 11, 2019, 09:54:07 AM »
Mike Portnoy: is Mike Portnoy again

Me: SMH
This. I understand that he was just speaking his mind, and apparently didn’t think he was on-air. However, he’s said douchey things quite purposefully in a public forum many times. He’s allowed to have his opinions but at his age, he should have a little more class when speaking to media types or fans. It obviously wasn’t a private setting. But then again, being classy has never really been his forte. His personality was fun and entertaining when I was 15, not so much when I’m 33.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: November 11, 2019, 10:40:55 AM »
MP taking a random jab at JLB is just plain wrong, especially since it was the addition of James' voice that helped propel DT into the mainstream and ultimately helped make MP a household name in prog and metal circles. :-\
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:33:16 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: November 11, 2019, 12:07:47 PM »
I'd kind of like if this just squashed the idea of a LTE follow up that he's talked about.  I'd hope JP and JR don't feel the need to do DT without the annoying vocals.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1128 on: November 11, 2019, 12:27:58 PM »
Just made it to Blabbermouth
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-says-liquid-tension-experiment-was-like-dream-theater-without-annoying-vocals/

Well, half agree with him in the comments  ::)

My "favorite" comment is the one that called LaBrie "the last guy in". Sure, back in 1992, but he's on all DT albums except one and has the longest tenure of anybody else (past members included) except the two Johns  :rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1129 on: November 11, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »
It doesn’t matter if it was a tasteless joke, if it was meant to be off-air or if it was tiny slip; it was a very crappy thing to say but once again it’s so in his character it’s not surprising at all.

And also, expert people at missing the point: “ISN’T HE RIGHT THO? LOL”. It’s not about if you like JLB or you despise him, it’s about MP behaving like a child who needs scolding to understand the impact of words and that comments like that don’t make you sound “cool” at all, but the complete exact opposite.

Oh, it’s kinda sad to see someone you admired so much falling from grace so quickly and harshly.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1130 on: November 11, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »
Oh, it’s kinda sad to see someone you admired so much falling from grace so quickly and harshly.

I dunno about quickly, but yeah, in 9 years the dude has just lost almost all the respect I had for him, and there was a whole lot there. Still love the drumming he's done with DT but post-DT he just seems so salty
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: November 11, 2019, 01:23:22 PM »
It doesn’t matter if it was a tasteless joke, if it was meant to be off-air or if it was tiny slip; it was a very crappy thing to say but once again it’s so in his character it’s not surprising at all.

And also, expert people at missing the point: “ISN’T HE RIGHT THO? LOL”. It’s not about if you like JLB or you despise him, it’s about MP behaving like a child who needs scolding to understand the impact of words and that comments like that don’t make you sound “cool” at all, but the complete exact opposite.

Oh, it’s kinda sad to see someone you admired so much dig so deep.

Agreed.  It's really not a huge deal, just kind of shows some of his true feelings on JLB.  Which is pretty much known, but at the same time, you don't need to say it even if the mic isn't hot.  Sometimes it's best to keep that shit to yourself, something he hasn't learned.  But since this is nothing new, it hardly changes how I feel towards MP although I do kind of hope the rest of the DT guys take notice and don't work with him on LTE or really anything and stick up for their singer and his annoying vocals. 

I mean, now that I am thinking about it, how the hell is JLB annoying but he'll tour with Ross Jennings or JSS singing DT?  It makes no sense other than being personal.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1132 on: November 11, 2019, 01:30:25 PM »

I dunno about quickly, but yeah, in 9 years the dude has just lost almost all the respect I had for him, and there was a whole lot there. Still love the drumming he's done with DT but post-DT he just seems so salty
Yeah, I know there’s a lot of wisdom in the “separate the art from the artist” statement but sometimes I find it hard to support (with money, of course) an artist who personally I don’t feel attached to in any sort of  emotional way but the nostalgia that lingers from the days in which he was one of the musicians that I looked up to the most.

MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1133 on: November 11, 2019, 01:46:20 PM »
Look in the mirror,
What do you see?
The source of annoying vocals in DT songs.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: November 11, 2019, 02:02:11 PM »
Meh.  He's bitter and that's fine, although DT may not have gotten the success they had without James.  I'm sure if he knew they were on air he wouldn't have said it.  Don't know why he wouldn't think they were on air though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1135 on: November 11, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »
I know this whole JLB is good/bad/used to be good singer thing has been around for a long time.  I know he can struggle a little (or a lot) live some times, but imho opinion I think he still sounds great on the albums.

I like JLB's voice and I think he has oodles of talent.  But I know not everyone feels that way.  I honestly don't care what MP thinks.  I just care about how I feel about his performance as a fan, and I give him an "A"  :).
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1136 on: November 11, 2019, 02:52:32 PM »
Meh.  He's bitter and that's fine, although DT may not have gotten the success they had without James.

Nobody will ever know of course, but my personal thought is that with somebody with a voice anywhere near Russell Allen, I think they could have gone really, really big. I have never met a person who wasn't impressed with their musical skill and yet good songwriting, but I know a lot of people who say "yeah, but that singer..."

(In now way am I defending MP, who is trying to resuscitate his career with this kind of stuff)
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: November 11, 2019, 02:58:26 PM »
Meh.  He's bitter and that's fine, although DT may not have gotten the success they had without James.

Nobody will ever know of course, but my personal thought is that with somebody with a voice anywhere near Russell Allen, I think they could have gone really, really big. I have never met a person who wasn't impressed with their musical skill and yet good songwriting, but I know a lot of people who say "yeah, but that singer..."

(In now way am I defending MP, who is trying to resuscitate his career with this kind of stuff)

I think at the time, James was the perfect singer for I&W and Awake.  It would have been interesting however to see if he was fired if MP got his way after his voice declined and they replaced him with an Allen type.  If that then would have helped them get even further with their success or hinder them.  I love James' voice and as Lion said, love listening to him on the albums.  I'm happy with James and DT.

It's just funny the success they are having now so late into their career that to them Mike's comment would really be invalid to them.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1138 on: November 11, 2019, 02:59:31 PM »
It's funny to think about all the bands that have broken up or changed members and so many have far more drama than Dream Theater. Take Motley Crue, I don't know much about them but I'm pretty sure every single member hates each other and yet they still reunited.

Of course, there are two things at play. First, they had millions of dollars behind their "reconciliation" and second, their drama was so great it was almost meaningless. It got so big where I doubt they even remembered why they hated each other so it was easier to put that stuff behind them, and the millions didn't hurt.

With a band that is Dream Theater's size, a reunion won't do much more than a temporary pay bump, and they would have to confront their very real differences. Mike would actually need to humble himself and give a real apology which I can't see him ever doing and DT aren't desperate enough for what would amount to a small increase in popularity.

And that is why there will never be a reunion with Portnoy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: November 11, 2019, 03:03:42 PM »
There is very little payday for a DT reunion with MP.  DT is just not that widely appealing to all of the sudden bring in more sales because of that.  I'd imagine it would sell a bit better than currently, but I can't imagine much to make it worth it (from a money standpoint). 

When I saw Aerosmith earlier at their Vegas residency, I was chatting with a security guard and he told me the entire band hates each other and they all stay somewhere different and get driven to the venue separately, basically only seeing each other on stage for the performance.  Now, a band as big as them can do that, I can't imagine DT having the funds to be able to shuffle everyone around privately so they don't have to deal with each other.  Just doesn't seem worth it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: November 11, 2019, 03:05:17 PM »
Besides Mike, the other guys aren't the kind of guys to chase the big bucks, if there was any on offer anyway.  They seem happy and content and can live very comfortably.  They also don't seem greedy to turn everything upside down to reunite.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1141 on: November 11, 2019, 03:07:40 PM »
There is very little payday for a DT reunion with MP.  DT is just not that widely appealing to all of the sudden bring in more sales because of that.  I'd imagine it would sell a bit better than currently, but I can't imagine much to make it worth it (from a money standpoint). 

Yep. It's a fixed market. The people who are going to see them are likely going to see them anyway. Some of us might make a point to catch multiple shows, and some people might be willing to travel a bit further to see them, but it's not enough to move them out of the venue class they currently reside within.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1142 on: November 11, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
And this is different than the 400 pound man. That would be deliberately hurtful to the guy. JLB doesn't give a damn what MP's opinions about him are, and they are just opinions.

Okay, now that is something with which I can agree.  If JLB saw that video, he'd probably laugh to himself and think, "What a sad, bitter little man our ex-drummer has become."
Yep, I agree completely. I'd also call it an equally shallow and petty interpretation.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1143 on: November 11, 2019, 03:11:06 PM »
And that is why there will never be a reunion with Portnoy.

DT has zero reason to reunite with MP. Their music and musicianship has been dramatically better than it was in the final years of MP. I love listening to and watching MP play BUT for as good as he is he still sped up and slowed down songs unintentionally with the way he 'performed'. MM and the click track have eliminated that....and for me and my ears....it's been great.

They have no incentive to allow MP the privilege of playing with them again...nor does he deserve that privilege based off his behavior after he left them high and dry. Although I know they won't....I'd LOVE for JP to allow JLB to pen lyrics to a song that lambasted MP for being the spoiled, bratty baby that he's been since the split. Sure, he's reconciled with JP and JR but IMO that has more to do with the human beings that JR and JP are and less to do with MP 'changing' for the better. His recent comments just lend more evidence to what many suspect of him.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1144 on: November 11, 2019, 03:13:46 PM »

Yep. It's a fixed market. The people who are going to see them are likely going to see them anyway. Some of us might make a point to catch multiple shows, and some people might be willing to travel a bit further to see them, but it's not enough to move them out of the venue class they currently reside within.

Case in point: I'm mere days away from the 20th anniversary of the beginning of my DT live experience, and in these 20 years I've always see them in the same venue, the one Iron Maiden play (and sell out within days). So from SFAM until now, with the odd exception (a festival, a theatre for The Astonishing, a totally equivalent venue basically as big as the same one once in 2002), they've always played the same place no matter what. And early next year they're still gonna play that arena. A Portnoy reunion wouldn't change that (well, to the point that they'd sell out that arena, I don't think they ever completely have a sold out even though at times it was pretty packed)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1145 on: November 11, 2019, 03:39:59 PM »

Oh, it’s kinda sad to see someone you admired so much dig so deep.

Agreed.  It's really not a huge deal, just kind of shows some of his true feelings on JLB.  Which is pretty much known, but at the same time, you don't need to say it even if the mic isn't hot.  Sometimes it's best to keep that shit to yourself, something he hasn't learned.  But since this is nothing new, it hardly changes how I feel towards MP although I do kind of hope the rest of the DT guys take notice and don't work with him on LTE or really anything and stick up for their singer and his annoying vocals. 

I mean, now that I am thinking about it, how the hell is JLB annoying but he'll tour with Ross Jennings or JSS singing DT?  It makes no sense other than being personal.

Agreed in all accounts. JLB hasn’t had a perfect vocal career, as it has had more ups and downs than probably any other metal singer I’m aware of, but his voice defined, defines and will continue to define DT. I find it, for some reason, very heart-warming to see all current members support and love him.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1146 on: November 11, 2019, 03:56:51 PM »

If Russell Allen sang for DT I wouldn’t be a fan.   I’m in because of James.   

I just don’t really see how all the vitriol is justified when we can’t even agree what he meant.  Apparently few of you are fans of Floyd, Oasis, the Stones, KISS, The Black Crowes, The Kinks, Van Halen, Iron Maiden... it’s between them. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1147 on: November 11, 2019, 04:00:25 PM »

I have always felt and said MP is in a conundrum. His band (when he was in DT) really owes a ton to James, and he knows that, and that is what burns him the most.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1148 on: November 11, 2019, 04:30:29 PM »

A perfectly valid opinion, and dare I say, good for you. But, I think you will agree that it is a minority opinion.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: November 11, 2019, 04:39:46 PM »

A perfectly valid opinion, and dare I say, good for you. But, I think you will agree that it is a minority opinion.

Minority opinion in liking James or sticking with the band because of him?  Really?  I enjoy DT as a whole but a lot of the reason is because of James too.  Couldn't imagine anyone else singing on the albums.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1150 on: November 11, 2019, 04:44:26 PM »
I don’t think he sees it that way. I think he’s always felt that JLB held them back from being more commercially successful. I’m sure he actually said this even when he was in the band. Basically said, in so many words “we know his voice is annoying but we’re stuck with him as he is the voice of DT”.

Agree with Stadler about Russell Allen, would hate him to be the singer in DT. Such a generic cheese metal singer. La Brie is a much classier singer imo and gives DT a much more unique recognisable sound. I remember listening to AMob and ADTOE side by side when those albums came out and there was no comparison between the two performances.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: November 11, 2019, 04:45:45 PM »
Allen would be cool, but wouldn't be able to cover the vast types of music DT has done IMO.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1152 on: November 11, 2019, 04:49:29 PM »
LaBrie in his prime > Allen in his prime imo. I also agree with what Kade just said.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1153 on: November 11, 2019, 05:04:18 PM »
James can convey emotion. He can make you feel stuff. I don't think Russ Allen could match that. Sure, if you like Russ Allen, fine, but I just would not be able to connect to Dream Theater they way I have had it not been for James.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1154 on: November 11, 2019, 05:04:46 PM »
Not sure whether MP had a benign meaning or not.  He either realized that he did not, or he realized that whatever he said was likely to be taken poorly.  So either way, he should have not opened his mouth in the first place.  Either way, he shouldn't have said what he said to begin with.  This is just one more in a LONG list of examples where he proved that, even in the BEST case scenario, he severely lacks in judgment and maturity.  So at the end of the day, as was said above, it doesn't really matter what he meant.  He continues to alienate fans by acting the way he does, and he is foolish to fail to realize that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."