Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 391079 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Flying Colors: Morse + Morse + Portnoy + LaRue + McPherson project
« Reply #840 on: March 30, 2012, 05:05:04 AM »
Then you're fine.  :tup

Offline unklejman

« Reply #841 on: March 30, 2012, 06:00:48 AM »
Does the album feature extensive Morse shredding?

Not really.

Does the album feature extensive Morse shredding?
Not at all.

Damn.  :-[

It's true he doesn't do any over the top shredding, just some shreddy fills, and a shreddy section in the last track.

I will say this though. I've listened to the Dregs, and several of his solo albums. This album by far contains some of the most fulfilling playing I've heard from him.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: March 30, 2012, 06:04:37 AM »
Fair enough, I can't wait to give this a listen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #843 on: March 30, 2012, 06:13:17 AM »
Fair enough, I can't wait to give this a listen.

You haven't done this already? Go ahead, it's awesome.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #844 on: March 30, 2012, 08:34:15 AM »
People on the mp forums are silly. "50+ listens omg it's the best thing evar!!!!!@" it's good, but Jesus Christ. People here were pretty tempered with their adtoe reactions saying "it's good but i give it a few more spins"

I like the album, but I don't feel the need to excessively stroke one's ego for them.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #845 on: March 30, 2012, 09:11:32 AM »
People on the mp forums are silly. "50+ listens omg it's the best thing evar!!!!!@" it's good, but Jesus Christ. People here were pretty tempered with their adtoe reactions saying "it's good but i give it a few more spins"

I like the album, but I don't feel the need to excessively stroke one's ego for them.

Yeah, well, remember that after MP left Dream Theater, and in the succeeding months as MP made increasingly bitter/hostile/jealous statements regarding DT, many of the DT fans & even general music fans fled that forum, so what's left includes a disproportionate amount of MP groupies, many are looking to praise anything MP does.

Heck, I've read a couple posts congratulating Mike for assembling this particular group of musicians...
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #846 on: March 30, 2012, 11:05:30 AM »
With the release of AM and FC I finally had to unfollow MP's twitter feed.  He was retweeting so much over-the-top praise for the albums that it was spamming my feed something fierce.

As for the album itself, it is good.  However, it is very forgettable.  I have it in my rotation, but there is not a single bit of the music that sticks in my head beyond the enjoyment of listening to the track at the time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #847 on: March 30, 2012, 01:01:38 PM »
Got this yesterday. First thoughts after one listen - it's good, with flashes of brilliance, but it's just not great. With this level of musicianship it should have blown me away. I really hope it grows on me with succesive listens. McPhearson's voice is OK on the softer, popier songs, but on the heavy parts, well, it just isn't suited.

After one listen, this is my impression as well.  I liked most of it, and there were some definite flashes of greatness (Everything Changes really stood out to me).  I agree that the singer's voice sounds much better on the mellower stuff.  I wasn't keen on tracks 9 or 10, but it was only one listen, so time will tell.  Although he isn't up front a lot, it is nice hearing Neal Morse do something that isn't all-out prog for once.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #848 on: March 30, 2012, 01:12:36 PM »
I really like McPherson's voice on this. To me it's what really makes this album stand out. The juxtaposition of the more classic sounding instrumental arrangements with his modern poppy voice just really works some how.

Also I did not find this album at all forgettable, in fact, these songs are always getting stuck in my head.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #849 on: March 30, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »
I've listened to it twice through (the second more as background music). I really like it. I get a Transatlantic feel from it so far. I actually dig MP's vocal song. He sounds good and reminds me a little bit of Phil Collins' vocals (I really don't know why). I like the combination of Neal, MP, and Casey's vocals as a whole. They sound tight. I'll have to listen more closely.

The sound and dynamics of the mix are very soothing. It's a great mix.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #850 on: March 30, 2012, 04:33:13 PM »
IT'S IN!!

I'll play it a thousand times working on the bathroom tomorrow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #851 on: March 30, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »
YAY!  :tup :tup :tup
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #852 on: March 30, 2012, 07:45:27 PM »
I really love the messages of the songs. They speak from the heart and will be good to hear when in troubled times.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: March 30, 2012, 07:49:08 PM »
One of the things I like the most about this album is that I sort of feel that the guys were having fun while recording it. It's so happy but still very good at a musical level.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #854 on: March 30, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
One of the things I like the most about this album is that I sort of feel that the guys were having fun while recording it. It's so happy but still very good at a musical level.

I agree, I feel a joy in their playing... I wasn't sure if it was just me projecting, so I'm glad to see someone else feels this way.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #855 on: March 30, 2012, 10:16:51 PM »
Better Than Walking Away hit me pretty hard one morning as I was driving to work.  I was listening to the words and it was a lot of stuff I'd thought about before, a lot.  I think overall it helped me with the whole "get over yourself" issue.  There are times when walking away is the right thing to do, but I think I've allowed myself to come pretty close for the wrong reasons, and the lyrics helped me see that.  It might sound hokey, but I actually think I'm a better person now that I understand that.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #856 on: March 30, 2012, 11:10:19 PM »
I love this album, I've been listening to it quite obsessively the past few days! I simply love all the songs on it. I particularly enjoy the Steve Morse-led bits and it has also put me onto a later Deep Purple and Dixie Dregs binge too, that man is such a god!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #857 on: March 31, 2012, 12:19:13 AM »
After two listens, the ones I am liking the most are Blue Ocean, The Storm, Forever in a Daze, Everything Changes and Infinite Fire.

Everyone seems to talk about Kayla possibly being a big single, but that song seems like it just barely misses the hook.  Not a bad song, but the hook just isn't there.

Shoulda Coulda Woulda is easily the clunker of the bunch.  Very generic and mediocre.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #858 on: March 31, 2012, 01:06:01 AM »
After two listens, the ones I am liking the most are Blue Ocean, The Storm, Forever in a Daze, Everything Changes and Infinite Fire.

Everyone seems to talk about Kayla possibly being a big single, but that song seems like it just barely misses the hook.  Not a bad song, but the hook just isn't there.

Shoulda Coulda Woulda is easily the clunker of the bunch.  Very generic and mediocre.
I agree completely, Kayla is fun but IMO "love is what I'm waiting for" would make a much better single. Its the perfect combo of queen, ben folds and take that :lol
Clunkers for me are shouldawouldacoulda and all falls down, this band suits the lighter stuff so much better
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #859 on: March 31, 2012, 01:12:49 AM »
Fun album. Proper promotion could make it a hit I reckon. It gets better after every listen. I can see it becoming a favorite.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #860 on: March 31, 2012, 02:15:08 AM »
I have to say I do like it. It's more of a "commercial" styled album to what I usually listen to, I will admit, but Blue Ocean and Infinite Fire, I thought, were really good, and the rest of it wasn't bad.

Also: dat bass solo
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #861 on: March 31, 2012, 07:26:49 AM »
I am thrilled that they will be touring, but I'm also resolved to the fact that it will probably be NY, LA, Chicago, and Philly.  And that's it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #862 on: March 31, 2012, 07:30:38 AM »
I am thrilled that they will be touring, but I'm also resolved to the fact that it will probably be NY, LA, Chicago, and Philly.  And that's it.

Well, if tickets are fairly cheap (i.e. under $100), I may make the trek out to Philly to see them as it's only 3 hours away from here. Although I will hold out hope for a Baltimore or DC show.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline unklejman

« Reply #863 on: March 31, 2012, 08:51:44 AM »
I wouldn't rule out a Nashville show, or maybe a Texas show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #864 on: March 31, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »

I agree completely, Kayla is fun but IMO "love is what I'm waiting for" would make a much better single. Its the perfect combo of queen, ben folds and take that :lol
Clunkers for me are shouldawouldacoulda and all falls down, this band suits the lighter stuff so much better

Agreed all-around.  Love Is What I'm Waiting For is the single, not Kayla (if there is one). 

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #865 on: March 31, 2012, 09:59:20 AM »

I agree that Kayla doesn't have a big hook, but plenty of rock songs have been successful without one.  Also, I've been told every chick named Kayla is gonna want this song  ;)

"Love ignites when we are here / Kayla, Kayla" that's pretty hot, according to my g/f (not named Kayla  :lol)

The little interlude with Neal Morse would probably get cut for radio play.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #866 on: March 31, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »
We shall see.

Threw the whole thing on my iPod for my hour of cardio a bit ago (except for track 2, which I am already ready to chuck), and several of them popped up on shuffle when I was running (I usually have about 60+ songs on there for such purposes); they sounded good in that context, although a few of them I can tell will be a bit too mellow to become regular workout tunes, but some of the more upbeat, rocking ones should work nicely.

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #867 on: March 31, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »
I don't think there is a single on here.  I played The Storm for a friend last night, she wasn't digging it.  I am though, don't think I enjoy quite the enthusiasm so many are having for it, but it is a solid album and I'm glad I picked it up.  Hopefully they'll tour somewhere close to me.....

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #868 on: March 31, 2012, 01:42:48 PM »
I don't think there is a single on here.  I played The Storm for a friend last night, she wasn't digging it.  I am though, don't think I enjoy quite the enthusiasm so many are having for it, but it is a solid album and I'm glad I picked it up.  Hopefully they'll tour somewhere close to me.....

I'm not a big fan of The Storm (its OK), nor of it's radio potential.  It's a little bland.  I think Forever In A Daze would go over better with it's prominent bassline and the crescendo of a chorus.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #869 on: March 31, 2012, 02:03:59 PM »
I don't think any of the songs have radio potential.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #870 on: March 31, 2012, 02:23:43 PM »
I don't think any of the songs have radio potential.

Same here. It's great stuff, but it's just not very radio friendly.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline j

« Reply #871 on: March 31, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »
I agree that Kayla doesn't have a big hook, but plenty of rock songs have been successful without one.  Also, I've been told every chick named Kayla is gonna want this song  ;)

"Love ignites when we are here / Kayla, Kayla" that's pretty hot, according to my g/f (not named Kayla  :lol)

Kayla is the name of a fat chick that I work with.  Ruined.

-J

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #872 on: March 31, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »
Kayla is a magical song.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #873 on: March 31, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »
Kayla is a magical song.

Can it magically make J's fat chick thinner?  :justjen

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #874 on: March 31, 2012, 05:29:04 PM »
Why is everybody worried about a radio song?  A band like Rush who is a staple in the music community only gets one song on the radio and then they disappear.

Radio is obsolete.

Also after 2 listens this album is great!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC