Author Topic: Peter Gabriel Appreciation Thread  (Read 39093 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Peter Gabriel Appreciation Thread
« Reply #210 on: December 08, 2020, 03:35:57 PM »
That tour was the only time I've seen Peter live, and it was a hell of a show.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #211 on: December 08, 2020, 03:39:31 PM »
Kate Bush did a fine job on the studio version, but that live version of Don't Give Up with Paula Cole is so incredible that it is my go-to version now.  She slams it out of the park in that bridge in the middle. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline romdrums

« Reply #212 on: December 08, 2020, 03:43:35 PM »
Kate Bush did a fine job on the studio version, but that live version of Don't Give Up with Paula Cole is so incredible that it is my go-to version now.  She slams it out of the park in that bridge in the middle. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

The time I saw PG live, it was on the Growing UP tour, and his daughter Melanie forgot the words in the middle section. She was trying, but my sister and I were like, "Please, give up!" Fortunately, he had Sevara Nazarkhan come out and do the vocals on In Your Eyes.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #213 on: December 08, 2020, 03:54:26 PM »

Oh, I’d so much rather listen to Paula Cole than Kate Bush (who’s fine in her own quirky way I guess). She also out-sings Sinead O’Conner on Come Talk to Me.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #214 on: December 09, 2020, 06:35:13 AM »
I think Ane Brun did a GREAT job on the New Blood version. Her voice is extremely fragile, it sounds beautiful.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #215 on: December 09, 2020, 06:27:43 PM »

The time I saw PG live, it was on the Growing UP tour, and his daughter Melanie forgot the words in the middle section. She was trying, but my sister and I were like, "Please, give up!" Fortunately, he had Sevara Nazarkhan come out and do the vocals on In Your Eyes.

I thought his daughter did a nice job on Downside Up.  Her voice wasn't OMG amazing, but good enough to work in that song.

Oh, I’d so much rather listen to Paula Cole than Kate Bush (who’s fine in her own quirky way I guess). She also out-sings Sinead O’Conner on Come Talk to Me.

Wait, does Sinead sing on that song on Us?? I honestly cannot remember. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #216 on: December 09, 2020, 06:38:39 PM »

I thought his daughter did a nice job on Downside Up.  Her voice wasn't OMG amazing, but good enough to work in that song.

Wait, does Sinead sing on that song on Us?? I honestly cannot remember.

Sinead sings on both Come Talk to Me and Blood of Eden on Us. I also thought Melanie Gabriel did a nice job on the Growing Up tour. Her performance of Downside Up (both live and on New Blood) is one of my favorite PG duets.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2020, 03:33:53 PM »

Sinead sings on both Come Talk to Me and Blood of Eden on Us. I also thought Melanie Gabriel did a nice job on the Growing Up tour. Her performance of Downside Up (both live and on New Blood) is one of my favorite PG duets.

Gotcha, re: Sinead. Just goes to show how little I listen to the Us record.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #218 on: December 12, 2020, 08:45:05 PM »
I'm the guy who thinks Gabriel never made a bad solo album.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #219 on: December 13, 2020, 06:57:09 AM »

I think the same. Sure, there are some I like more than others, but none of them is "bad".

Offline HOF

« Reply #220 on: December 13, 2020, 10:05:24 AM »

I think the same. Sure, there are some I like more than others, but none of them is "bad".

I don’t know that I would call any of them “bad” either. 1 and 2 are a little hard for me to enjoy, but both have good things about them. I think those were largely PG searching for his voice and style as a solo artist outside of Genesis, and a bit of a necessary trial and error on his way to bigger things with 3 and beyond.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #221 on: December 13, 2020, 06:09:36 PM »
It's my least favourite of his solo albums (still great though) but PG1 must be one of the most eclectic records in my collection. From quirky prog (Moribund) to complex pop-rock (Solisbury) to barbershop quartet (Excuse Me) to an extraordinarily beautiful ballad (Humdrum) to soft jazz (Waiting for the Big One) to weird Wagnerian thundering brass sections married to an even weirder disco-rocker (Down the Dolce Vita) to an iconic hair-raising anthem (Here Comes the Flood). In its way it's every bit as off-the-wall as his previous one with Genesis, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. I love its exuberance and sense of total artistic freedom, even if I don't exactly like all the songs.

PG2 I absolutely love though. Such a beautiful, intimate record. It's an album for this very season and I play it a lot during the dark winter months. It's mainly known for On The Air and DIY, but Mother of Violence, White Shadow, Flotsam and Jetsam, Indigo and the sublime Home Sweet Home would easily make my top 20 Gabriel tracks.

PG4 is his masterpiece and a top ten album of all time for me.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 07:30:35 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: December 14, 2020, 07:36:27 AM »
It's my least favourite of his solo albums (still great though) but PG1 must be one of the most eclectic records in my collection. From quirky prog (Moribund) to complex pop-rock (Solisbury) to barbershop quartet (Excuse Me) to an extraordinarily beautiful ballad (Humdrum) to soft jazz (Waiting for the Big One) to weird Wagnerian thundering brass sections married to an even weirder disco-rocker (Down the Dolce Vita) to an iconic hair-raising anthem (Here Comes the Flood). In its way it's every bit as off-the-wall as his previous one with Genesis, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. I love its exuberance and sense of total artistic freedom, even if I don't exactly like all the songs.

PG2 I absolutely love though. Such a beautiful, intimate record. It's an album for this very season and I play it a lot during the dark winter months. It's mainly known for On The Air and DIY, but Mother of Violence, White Shadow, Flotsam and Jetsam, Indigo and the sublime Home Sweet Home would easily make my top 20 Gabriel tracks.

PG2:  has anyone dug into the "trilogy"?    PG2 was done with Robert Fripp, and there was a larger concept of a trio of albums including PG2, Fripp's Exposure, and Daryl Hall's (yes, that Daryl Hall) Sacred Songs.   Some songs actually appear on multiple records:  Exposure and Here Comes The Flood both appear on Fripp's album, and there are I think four songs that appear on both Exposure and Sacred Songs.    It was never sold this way, though, because Hall's management got cold feet and shelved Sacred Songs for a long time, and also prevented most of his vocals from appearing on Fripp's work. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #223 on: December 14, 2020, 08:03:25 AM »

PG2:  has anyone dug into the "trilogy"?    PG2 was done with Robert Fripp, and there was a larger concept of a trio of albums including PG2, Fripp's Exposure, and Daryl Hall's (yes, that Daryl Hall) Sacred Songs.   Some songs actually appear on multiple records:  Exposure and Here Comes The Flood both appear on Fripp's album, and there are I think four songs that appear on both Exposure and Sacred Songs.    It was never sold this way, though, because Hall's management got cold feet and shelved Sacred Songs for a long time, and also prevented most of his vocals from appearing on Fripp's work.

I have PG2 and Exposure (the expanded reissue which includes Hall on some tracks), but I’ve never checked out Sacred Songs. Been meaning to do that for a while.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: December 14, 2020, 08:08:27 AM »

I have PG2 and Exposure (the expanded reissue which includes Hall on some tracks), but I’ve never checked out Sacred Songs. Been meaning to do that for a while.

It's pretty good.  You have to sort of leave the notion of "Hall and Oates" on the side, because it's not that at all, and immerse.  I love his voice (Fripp has called him the best singer he's ever worked with, and in fact, there was an embryonic band called "Discipline" with Fripp, Levin, Hall and Jerry Marotta that never got off the ground).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #225 on: December 19, 2020, 07:27:54 PM »

Missing the Hall, but it not sounding as I might expect would not be a bad thing in my eyes.

Offline HOF

« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2021, 06:59:09 AM »
Gabriel in the studio working on a new album (finally):

https://www.loudersound.com/news/new-peter-gabriel-album-closer-than-you-think

Offline HOF

« Reply #227 on: June 04, 2022, 08:17:51 AM »
Manu Kache has indicated the new PG solo album will be released “at the end of the year.”

https://www.loudersound.com/news/is-peter-gabriel-albums-new-album-finally-going-to-be-released

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #228 on: June 04, 2022, 10:25:18 AM »
yeah I saw this on Rock History Music's YouTube page.

I/O. 23 new songs.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #229 on: June 04, 2022, 10:55:19 AM »
I believe it when I hold it in my hands.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #230 on: June 05, 2022, 12:06:38 PM »
I believe it when I hold it in my hands.

That is my take as well. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #231 on: June 07, 2022, 08:58:45 AM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #233 on: November 08, 2022, 06:23:19 AM »

itspetergabriel
Verified
It’s been a while and I am now surrounded by a whole lot of new songs and am excited to be taking them out on the road for a spin. Look forward to seeing you out there - pg

TICKETS: Tickets go on sale starting Friday 11 November 2022 at LiveNation.com.

Offline HOF

« Reply #234 on: November 08, 2022, 06:30:34 AM »
Nice, but when is the album coming out?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: November 08, 2022, 09:42:58 AM »

Offline HOF

« Reply #236 on: November 08, 2022, 09:44:07 AM »

Ha, probably! Seriously though, how weird is it to announce a tour to support a new album but not a release date for the album?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #237 on: November 08, 2022, 09:45:52 AM »
I think Ane Brun did a GREAT job on the New Blood version. Her voice is extremely fragile, it sounds beautiful.
No. Horrible beyond belief. (wrong notes too) Check Jennie Abrahamson's version in 2013 and 2014 for reference. His best partner that wasn't Kate.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #238 on: November 08, 2022, 09:47:42 AM »
according to a recent (September) interview with Manu Katché (who plays on it and on the tour), the plan was to have it released this year. But, given Peter only finished it at the end of October, that may not be feasible anymore. Will be out before the tour starts though.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #239 on: November 08, 2022, 10:51:08 AM »
Somehow I already got tickets for my gf and me for Berlin. Waldbühne is beautiful, I can't wait for that concert.
Unfortunately, they were 200€ per ticket and now I have no more money so I guess it's pasta & pesto for the rest of the month.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: November 08, 2022, 11:04:39 AM »
No. Horrible beyond belief. (wrong notes too) Check Jennie Abrahamson's version in 2013 and 2014 for reference. His best partner that wasn't Kate.

Will be seeing Jennie Abrahamsson in a Kate Bush tribute cocert on tuesday.... she is fantastic

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #241 on: November 08, 2022, 11:06:39 AM »
yeah me too (possible exception being PG2, but then again, I don't hate that one either)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #242 on: November 08, 2022, 11:07:59 AM »

Will be seeing Jennie Abrahamsson in a Kate Bush tribute cocert on tuesday.... she is fantastic
yeah, saw her on Peter's last tour in 2014. One of the best concerts I ever attended, and I'm very hard to impress. (the original band that did So was on this tour and the entire album was played in the second half, absolutely brilliant)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #243 on: November 08, 2022, 12:21:23 PM »
yeah me too (possible exception being PG2, but then again, I don't hate that one either)

I think II is great, way better than I. It seems so somber and fragile, very unique.

Offline HOF

« Reply #244 on: November 08, 2022, 12:22:16 PM »

I think II is great, way better than I. It seems so somber and fragile, very unique.

I'm not a huge fan of I or II, though both have their moments.