News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)

Started by ariich, August 23, 2010, 05:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfking

Quote from: abydos on March 13, 2011, 04:47:40 PM
Quote from: GuineaPig on March 13, 2011, 08:42:30 AM
I was relistening to some of the older PoS albums recently.  Still baffled how people consider One Hour By the Concrete Lake to be in the same league quality-wise with their other stuff.  That album's pretty bad.
That album is pretty fucking amazing actually.

Yep, fucking extremelly amazing!!

sonatafanica

It's alright. There's not much wrong with it, and the sound is pretty cool.

Crow

Terribly sound quality, wonderful songs. A shame really. I'd listen to it more if it didn't have such bad sound quality.

sonatafanica

I guess it doesn't bother me much as I'm not really uptight about sound quality.

ClairvoyantCat

I'm going to say that I actually like the production.  The drum kit is thin, but besides that, it's a pretty good production.  The guitar tones are perfect;  especially the distorted ones.  Aggressive, but not too imposing. 

Silver Tears

Road Salt's gotten even more awesome since the last time I listened to it  :metal

Adami

Quote from: dtismajesty on March 13, 2011, 09:03:06 PM
I'm going to say that I actually like the production.  The drum kit is thin, but besides that, it's a pretty good production.  The guitar tones are perfect;  especially the distorted ones.  Aggressive, but not too imposing. 

For me it's mostly the kick drums. The guitars don't sound too bad and the vocals and bass and keys are lovely. But the kick drums are pretty harsh.
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

ClairvoyantCat

Yeah, I can agree with that.  They kind of sound like someone tapping their fingers on plastic.  Regardless, for an underground metal band with a very limited amount of options back then I think that it is very good.  I only have an issue with the production if the band has lots of money and I know they could do better.  And, as I said, I actually like the mix.  And the material is very strong, as well.  If anything, it's their best guitar album for sure. 

GuineaPig

Surprised no one has mentioned the elephant in the room that is production on early PoS albums: keyboards.

petrucci07

Quote from: GuineaPig on March 14, 2011, 08:59:05 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned the elephant in the room that is production on early PoS albums: keyboards.

I thought the definition of an elephant in the room was that it's something that no one mentions.

/pedancy

Sorry, couldn't resist.
But seriously, I've never really noticed anything wrong with the keys.

GuineaPig

Quote from: petrucci07 on March 14, 2011, 01:15:25 PM

I thought the definition of an elephant in the room was that it's something that no one mentions.

/pedancy

Sorry, couldn't resist.

No, I used it correctly.  Quite often, one precedes the statement by "Let me address the elephant in the room.." or some other variant.  It's used to imply that other people are ignoring it.

But the keyboards are kinda shit.  It's like they only had cheap Casio ones with 5 effects and were forced to use "vibraphone" for half the songs.

ariich

Quote from: GuineaPig on March 14, 2011, 02:16:19 PM
It's like they only had cheap Casio ones with 5 effects and were forced to use "vibraphone" for half the songs.
:lol

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

petrucci07

Quote from: GuineaPig on March 14, 2011, 02:16:19 PM
Quote from: petrucci07 on March 14, 2011, 01:15:25 PM

/pedancy

Sorry, couldn't resist.

No, I used it correctly.  Quite often, one precedes the statement by "Let me address the elephant in the room.." or some other variant.  It's used to imply that other people are ignoring it.

But the keyboards are kinda shit.  It's like they only had cheap Casio ones with 5 effects and were forced to use "vibraphone" for half the songs.

Ah, didn't know that. My bad  :yarr
I don't know, they sound a little dated, and the only use of vibraphone I can recall off the top of my head is Ashes.

ClairvoyantCat

https://www.tv4play.se/nyheter_och_debatt/efter_tio?title=daniel_gildenlow_-_road_salt&videoid=1394701

I'm kind of getting tired of Road Salt being performed, but this is a nice one.  Much better than the Melodifestivalen performance. 

Also, apparently a short clip of Where it Hurts was aired, but my Sweidsh-impaired self is unable to find it. 

sonatafanica

I think the first Melodifestivalen performance of Road Salt is my favorite version of the song.

ClairvoyantCat

I find it hard to judge, I guess, because the whole Melodifestivalen atmosphere felt so wrong for a song like Road Salt to be performed in, while the dark, quiet, simple room here is much more suited.  Anything's better than the studio version, though.  It didn't really come out quite right on the album. 

AwakeFromOctavarium

jonny108

Quote from: dtismajesty on March 17, 2011, 11:22:58 PM
https://www.tv4play.se/nyheter_och_debatt/efter_tio?title=daniel_gildenlow_-_road_salt&videoid=1394701

I'm kind of getting tired of Road Salt being performed, but this is a nice one.  Much better than the Melodifestivalen performance. 

Also, apparently a short clip of Where it Hurts was aired, but my Sweidsh-impaired self is unable to find it. 

Probably my favourite performance of Road Salt that was.  I saw that Daniel posted it on his facebook but it wouldn't let me load it.  So thanks for posting, worked this time.  :)

jonny108

Well the Where it Hurts video shouldn't be far off now I hope.

TheVoxyn

Posted on facebook:
QuoteThe video for "Where It Hurts" will be released on YouTube at 3 pm tomorrow (Wednesday 30th of March). It might get banned though, so don't wait too long!

abydos

Oh good. More naked Daniel in fake blood.

ClairvoyantCat

Why the hell would they not just post it somewhere where it won't get taken down and then link to it? 

I don't get it.

abydos

Because they(he) are(is) controversial and edgy and provocative.

sonatafanica

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: abydos on March 29, 2011, 04:46:21 PM
Because they(he) are(is) controversial and edgy and provocative.

So I guess the most controversial, edgy, and provocative music video would be one that people can't even see. 

Your logic is flawless. 

Really, they could just try their luck at youtube and then put it somewhere else too.  I really don't want this to be another Ending Theme. 

abydos

Nah, i'm just fooling around. Not flawless, but not 100% wrong - it will be put on youtube, then it will be removed. They are far too hardcore for the mainstream :D
I honestly can't wait to watch it, everything promo-related that has come out of this guy in the last couple of years has been hilarious.

Lynxo

Warning.

wolfking

Definitely fucked up, but extremely captivating.  DG is certainly one creative and interesting individual.

Lynxo

That's apparently a real, live, pumping heart.

Wheter they took it from an animal or just went on a killing spree around the neighbourhood is not yet clear.

TheVoxyn

ClairvoyantCat

It's an animal heart, according to the inside of Road Salt one.  I think it's a deer heart or something, I forget.

Also, that was amazing!

wolfking

Fuck!  That makes it even more fucked up.  Interesting that you need the link to see the video, wasn't aware youtube had such a feature.  I searched for it and it didn't show up.  Also, I'm subscribed to InsideOut and it's not in my subscriptions either.  

Tell me Lynxo, how did you get the link?

ClairvoyantCat

They made it unlisted to minimize the chance of it getting removed right after it's put up on youtube. 

I still don't understand why they wouldn't just put it on a site without restrictions on nudity... it makes no sense whatsoever. 

wolfking

Quote from: dtismajesty on March 30, 2011, 04:47:21 AM
They made it unlisted to minimize the chance of it getting removed right after it's put up on youtube. 

I still don't understand why they wouldn't just put it on a site without restrictions on nudity... it makes no sense whatsoever. 

yeah, I thought that, it's fine if it stays there, but I guess it still with get removed sooner or later.  They should just host it on their website for everyone to download in .mpg or .avi format.

Lynxo

Quote from: wolfking on March 30, 2011, 04:44:26 AM
Fuck!  That makes it even more fucked up.  Interesting that you need the link to see the video, wasn't aware youtube had such a feature.  I searched for it and it didn't show up.  Also, I'm subscribed to InsideOut and it's not in my subscriptions either.  

Tell me Lynxo, how did you get the link?
DG himself said on Facebook it would be available on https://www.youtube.com/insideout so I just went there and search through all their PoS videos. I think it's up earlier than what DG thought, he said on Facebook it would be avaliable in a hour or something.

EDIT: Also, I agree it's weird they don't have it for downloading somewhere, after all the work they put into making it. I mean, they sure took a hell of a time finishing it.