News:

Dreamtheaterforums.org is a place of peace.  ...except when it is a place of BEING ON FIRE!!!

Main Menu

Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)

Started by ariich, August 23, 2010, 05:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dethklok09

recently got into this band (lolimanoob), what are some recomendations.

The King in Crimson

"Disco Queen" is their best song. ;)

LieLowTheWantedMan

ClairvoyantCat

Adami

I don't think I could pick a best, they have so many great songs that are all quite lovely.  :)
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

dethklok09

thank you adami I know wherever I am I can always count on such a swell guy such as you. :)
I think I may check out every song now from begining to end because they are so lovely :)

Perpetual Change

I'd consider Pain of Salvation songs to be a lot of things.

"Lovely" though? Seriously?  :lol

AwakeFromOctavarium

The best PoS song can only be The Perfect Element, sorry.

wolfking

AwakeFromOctavarium

The amount of emotion put into that song is almost equivalent to an entire album of theirs aside from TPE. True fax.

ClairvoyantCat

The Perfect Element cannot be the best song of theirs because of the chorus.   

I mean, it's not an unbearable chorus to listen to, but it is a HUGE letdown considering the intensity that they were trying to build through the first verse.  The song also doesn't really flow very well. 

I find the most emotional Pain of Salvation songs to be the ones with less abstract and more personal lyrics.  Such as a Trace of Blood, where you know what Daniel is singing about and you really feel what he was going through there.  Or Dedication.  That's another one.  And Thorn Clown. 

The King in Crimson

Quote from: LieLowTheWantedMan on February 01, 2011, 09:07:52 PM
Quote from: The King in Crimson on February 01, 2011, 09:05:04 PM
"Disco Queen" is their best song. ;)
lol

Iter Impius is the best, though.
I am not kidding.

It's so very catchy, unique, and just plain balls-out strange. I like that they tried something THIS different and actually ended up making a good song. I could listen to this song over and over again. :)

wolfking

Disco Queen is fantastic, I'd go as far as putting it in my top 15, maybe even 10.

AwakeFromOctavarium

Quote from: dtismajesty on February 02, 2011, 08:55:22 AM
I find the most emotional Pain of Salvation songs to be the ones with less abstract and more personal lyrics.  Such as a Trace of Blood, where you know what Daniel is singing about and you really feel what he was going through there.  Or Dedication.  That's another one.  And Thorn Clown. 
A Trace of Blood. It came as a completely different song when I read up on the lyrics and the back story.

ariich

I mean, it's not an unbearable chorus to listen to, but it is a HUGE letdown considering the intensity that they were trying to build through the first verse.  The song also doesn't really flow very well. 
I agree that the chorus is a little bland, but the bridge section ("Once...") is one of the greatest things in the history of music and more than makes up for it.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Ultimetalhead

Quote from: ariich on February 03, 2011, 04:19:21 AM

I agree that the chorus is a little bland, but the bridge section ("Once...") is one of the greatest things in the history of music and more than makes up for it.
Yeah, the chorus is not that great. The rest of the song is pretty much amazing, but even without the chorus it wouldn't be their best song. I'm not really sure what I'd consider their best song, but it's probably off of Remedy Lane.

FlashCE

Quote from: AwakeFromOctavarium on February 02, 2011, 03:49:57 AM
The best PoS song can only be The Perfect Element, sorry.

This.

"Sisters" is second best.

Adami

I find the chorus of TPE to be quite brilliant.
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

mizzl

Quote from: Ultimetalhead on February 03, 2011, 04:46:31 AM
Quote from: ariich on February 03, 2011, 04:19:21 AM

Yeah, the chorus is not that great. The rest of the song is pretty much amazing, but even without the chorus it wouldn't be their best song. I'm not really sure what I'd consider their best song, but it's probably off of Remedy Lane.
All of this.

Oh, and Beyond the Pale is the best them

Jakartabassplayer

I don't understand the resentment against the chorus.
I personally think the chorus is brilliant.

ClairvoyantCat

So they are apparently in the early filming stages for a documentary... “If Has to Bleed a Little”  It's going to feature tour footage and recording footage and some other cool things.

To be honest I would probably only really take an interest if there was also live content.  I've been itching for some new live Pain of Salvation content recently.

Also, remember that video of Where It Hurts with the bloody sex scene?  That should hopefully be out in a few weeks at most.

wolfking

Yeah, both Be Live and Ending Themes are two of the best concerts I've seen.  I'd buy dozens of official live concerts from this band.

If it's a documentry on RS1 will we even see the rest of the band?  :lol

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: wolfking on February 03, 2011, 01:34:40 PM
Yeah, both Be Live and Ending Themes are two of the best concerts I've seen.  I'd buy dozens of official live concerts from this band.

Well since it's a tour documentary I assume there will be plenty other members footage, and it wouldn't be Pain of Salvation without a shirtless Johan in multiple scenes.

Also, on the normal track of a Pain of Salvation release, we won't see the dvd for a good 4 years at least. 

wolfking

Quote from: dtismajesty on February 03, 2011, 01:39:08 PM
Quote from: wolfking on February 03, 2011, 01:34:40 PM

Well since it's a tour documentary I assume there will be plenty other members footage, and it wouldn't be Pain of Salvation without a shirtless Johan in multiple scenes.

Also, on the normal track of a Pain of Salvation release, we won't see the dvd for a good 4 years at least. 

I guess we should concentrate on RS2 first.  :lol

Also, listening to Remedy Lane again now.  What a damn fucking fine album.  This band is musical perfection.

LieLowTheWantedMan

Yeah, that's my problem. When I first heard the song, the intro and first verse really led me to believe I was in for a really intense song, but the rest of the song disappointed.

jonny108

From Daniel's faceboooook: Would LOVE to come to Argentina - actually working on it for June, keep your fingers crossed!

Road Salt Two news will follow the coming week or two :)

Ultimetalhead

pain of occupation

beyond the pale > tpe (the song)

debate closed.

faemir

ClairvoyantCat

To rank all of their closers from best to worst: (I count Martius/Nauticus II and Plains of Dawn as the real closers to their respective albums)

Enter Rain
Martius/Nauticus II
Beyond the Pale
Innocence
Plains of Dawn
The Perfect Element
Inside Out

Every closer they've done is amazing, though. 

ariich

1. The Perfect Element
2. Plains of Dawn
3. Beyond the Pale
4. Enter Rain
5. Martius/Nauticus II
6. Innocence
7. Inside Out

IMO.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: ariich on February 03, 2011, 03:12:48 PM

2. Plains of Dawn

Interesting.  Reminds me how much of an underrated song Plains of Dawn is.

Crow

TPE
Beyond The Pale
Enter Rain
Plains of Dawn
Inside Out
Martius/Nauticus II
Innocence

all great songs of course.
Also Idioglossia is the best Pain of Salvation song

ariich

Quote from: dtismajesty on February 03, 2011, 03:29:58 PM
Quote from: ariich on February 03, 2011, 03:12:48 PM

2. Plains of Dawn

Interesting.  Reminds me how much of an underrated song Plains of Dawn is.
I absolutely adore it.

I CRY AS I'M WATCHING YOU RUN ACROSS PLAINS OF DAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN

pain of occupation

enter rain has to be my least fav closer; i would say its not even close, but i'm not the biggest fan of innocence either.