News:

Dreamtheaterforums.org is a place of peace.  ...except when it is a place of BEING ON FIRE!!!

Main Menu

Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)

Started by ariich, August 23, 2010, 05:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adami

Oh god, people who think Enter Rain is the greatest song ever written.

The song is very good, but seriously the chorus just drags it down. No matter how amazing the ending is, it doesn't save the rest of the song from being a standard PoS song.
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

contest_sanity

the truth < Enter Rain

the truth = Jesus Christ

Enter Rain = Daniel Gildenlöw

Therefore:

Jesus Christ < Daniel Gildenlöw

OH NO WHAT DID I JUST DO!!!

wolfking

Quote from: Adami on December 09, 2010, 01:10:46 PM
Oh god, people who think Enter Rain is the greatest song ever written.

The song is very good, but seriously the chorus just drags it down. No matter how amazing the ending is, it doesn't save the rest of the song from being a standard PoS song.

I always liked Enter Rain, it's not the best thing they've ever done but it's good, but I never understood the hype with the ending, yeah it's good but come on.  Maybe I've just missed something.

Adami

I never understood the hype around the chorus. It's just him saying "enter rain" over and over. But people seem to think it's the best thing he's ever written.

Ultimetalhead

The Perfect Element, Part I is such an amazing album. Amazing that its sequel is so crappy.

faemir

I love his delivery of the chorus, so I don't really get how you can feel ambivalent about it.

And I think Idiocracy needs more love, especially the ending :omg:

Adami

Quote from: faemir on December 09, 2010, 05:12:30 PM
I love his delivery of the chorus, so I don't really get how you can feel ambivalent about it.

And I think Idiocracy needs more love, especially the ending :omg:

It's a fine chorus. But it's not THAT great.

faemir

Better than TPE's.

(edit: I don't consider enter rain their best song btw)

wolfking

I actually find The Perfect Element (the song) one of the weakest moments on that album, (that still means it's amazing.)

Adami

Quote from: faemir on December 09, 2010, 05:19:43 PM
Better than TPE's.

No.

Quote from: wolfking on December 09, 2010, 05:27:40 PM
I actually find The Perfect Element (the song) one of the weakest moments on that album

No.

Ultimetalhead

I actually find The Perfect Element (the song) one of the weakest moments on that album, (that still means it's amazing.)
I tend to agree. While the other songs all have a ton of great moments, TPE only has a few, and only one that really resonates with me.

wolfking

Quote from: Ultimetalhead on December 09, 2010, 07:25:08 PM
I tend to agree. While the other songs all have a ton of great moments, TPE only has a few, and only one that really resonates with me.

Yeah, I think that's what I mean.  I love it, but I love most of the other songs more, they just stick with me more.

Darkes7

Quote from: faemir on December 09, 2010, 10:52:26 AM
Enter Rain > The Perfect Element.

Discuss.
I think I wouldn't strictly agree, but I'd say Enter Rain is very, very close behind.

Quote from: Adami on December 09, 2010, 03:10:20 PM
I never understood the hype around the chorus. It's just him saying "enter rain" over and over. But people seem to think it's the best thing he's ever written.
Because it's so powerful. As simple as this...

AwakeFromOctavarium

I will ignore the discussion and claim that The Perfect Element is one of the best songs ever.

Silver Tears

Quote from: Darkes7 on December 10, 2010, 05:05:33 AM
Quote from: Adami on December 09, 2010, 03:10:20 PM
Because it's so powerful. As simple as this...

I like the song and all but I don't find it particularly amazing either to be honest.

PixelDream

I never thought 'Enter Rain' was great, kind of underwhelmed actually. Hadn't listened to it in years, but now I'm revisiting it, and yeah. It's pretty damn great.

Nonetheless, not really in the PoS mood, going back to Meshuggah.  :xbones

Jakartabassplayer

Quote from: AwakeFromOctavarium on December 10, 2010, 05:17:00 AM
I will ignore the discussion and claim that The Perfect Element is one of the best songs ever.
:tup

abydos

It's 50% better if you listen Falling before it and let the songs flow into each other.
Falling by itself is better than Enter Rain, so I don't know what is there to discuss... :D

Darkes7

PoS ended with BE and everything later should be burned. We know. Next.

Gorille85

Scarsick is better than people are making it out to be. And Road Salt is definitely not bad.

Darkes7

Yes, but that happens whenever he appears in this thread. And this time I'm not even exaggerating.

Perpetual Change

I enjoy both Scarsick and Road Salt, but only on occasions. I would have liked it better if PoS had written different albums instead of those one.

Darkes7

I doubt a different album that's forced because "fans would want that" would be any better than these two they/he created because that's what they/he wanted.

Perpetual Change

Yeah, I realize that, but the point is Scarsick and Road Salt are  both albums I simple "tolerate" because I believe that the artist involved (DG) is worth giving full consideration. Road Salt One has grown on me quite a bit lately, though.

abydos

Quote from: Darkes7 on December 10, 2010, 11:35:58 PM
PoS ended with BE and everything later should be burned. We know. Next.
That's just so rong.

wolfking

Scarsick is very special to me, an amazing, amazing album.

faemir

I eagerly await RS2, especially considering the reworking they are doing.

Darkes7

I'm also waiting and very interested. I just had this idea that since RS1 is called Ivory and RS2 is supposed to be called Ebony, I hope RS2 will be darker, more serious, and possibly heavier, which would most likely solve my main and only real problem with RS1.

abydos

They are? I thought it was going to be like RS, what are they doing to it(wasn't it recorded like 5 years ago)?

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: Darkes7 on December 11, 2010, 05:22:29 AM
I'm also waiting and very interested. I just had this idea that since RS1 is called Ivory and RS2 is supposed to be called Ebony, I hope RS2 will be darker, more serious, and possibly heavier, which would most likely solve my main and only real problem with RS1.

Daniel has said the two albums will still sound like songs that belong together as a whole.  They are just reworking parts of it, not changing most of the songs or the album's general sound. 

Also, you don't have to like it, but I can't help but feel most people here are missing the point of Enter Rain.  No one ever said it was the most creative thing that Daniel has ever written, or the most "epic";  it's the simplicity of the song and the buildup that makes it so great to me, even if it was probably the easiest PoS song to write, I find it one of the very most effective.  The Perfect Element was complex and metaphoric, but Scarsick was direct and simple (and in my opinion, effective), take it or leave it. 

faemir

If RS2 is like RS1, I won't be disappointed.

Scarsick and RS1 are both 4 out of 5 star records for me.

MirzekDT

For me Scarsick is easily better than TPE, I used to love TPE and hate Scarsick at my getting into POS period but now after many many listens I have almost no desire to listen to TPE (I still enjoy it very much when I listen to it but I just don't have any feeling like OMG I must listen to this right now) and I still have desire to listen to everything from Scrasick and there's no emotionally emptier moment there maybe except for MMMM I can live without that song but it's still good... And Idiocracy + Flame To The Moth combo is one of my favorite pieces of music overall it gets me everytime there's just so much emotion there

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: MirzekDT on December 11, 2010, 03:32:59 PM
For me Scarsick is easily better than TPE, I used to love TPE and hate Scarsick at my getting into POS period but now after many many listens I have almost no desire to listen to TPE (I still enjoy it very much when I listen to it but I just don't have any feeling like OMG I must listen to this right now) and I still have desire to listen to everything from Scrasick and there's no emotionally emptier moment there maybe except for MMMM I can live without that song but it's still good... And Idiocracy + Flame To The Moth combo is one of my favorite pieces of music overall it gets me everytime there's just so much emotion there

Thank you.  Our minority is few in number but strong in heart. 

Go Scarsick!

faemir

Nick

Quote from: dtismajesty on December 11, 2010, 08:58:07 PM
Quote from: MirzekDT on December 11, 2010, 03:32:59 PM

Thank you.  Our minority is few in number but strong in heart. 

Go Scarsick!

Scarsick is the best them!