Started by ariich, August 23, 2010, 05:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonny108

Quote from: Liberation on October 09, 2011, 09:00:06 AM
Quote from: jonny108 on October 09, 2011, 05:14:27 AM
Softly She Cried [second last]
[softly he cries]

But... but... it's a great song :(

It's an awesome song! Doesn't mean I don't like it because it's near the bottom, I love them all  :heart

ClairvoyantCat

Me while listening to the fast jammy section in the middle of Healing Now: 

abydos

So they had a show here, some guy has uploaded a few songs with decent quality. Here's Ashes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aOVDvudZBU

bout to crash

That fuckin' song still gives me chills.

Liberation

My greatest wish is Enter Rain live. And in general more Scarsick songs in the rotation, I don't see why there can't be 3 in every setlist, I know it's a pretty controversial album but on Ending Themes you can really see people get into them. They have a lot of energy.

Zantera

I can only speak for myself, and the fact that I don't like Scarsick that much, apart from a few really good songs it has.
However, I think their earlier catalog is SO good, and RS2 brought so many good tracks to the table, that if I would make up a wish-setlist, there wouldn't be much room for any Scarsick songs left.

Ultimetalhead

So, I'm starting to think that I like RS1 more than RS2. Am I crazy?

Gorille85

RS2 only comes out over here in two weeks... WTF

jonny108

Quote from: Ultimetalhead on October 12, 2011, 10:47:19 AM

Yes, you are crazy.

Zydar

Zantera

Dr. DTVT

You were already crazy.  This more or less confirms you're a terrible human being.

Perpetual Change

I like RS1 a lot more than RS2. RS2's out of the box songs like "To the Shoreline" are a step-forward, but almost all the 70s sounding stuff is a huge step back.

LieLowTheWantedMan

RS2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RS1

Zantera

Quote from: LieLowTheWantedMan on October 12, 2011, 07:27:34 PM
RS2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RS1

This.
RS2 is about a 4,5/5 album for me, meanwhile RS1 would be a 3/5 album.

ariich

Quote from: 73109 on October 12, 2011, 07:29:32 PM
Wait...wait...wait...

RS1=RS2
This.

Both are amazing, I don't think I can really choose between them.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

NecessaryPain

I'd say they're both as good as each other.

There's no way RS2 is miles better than RS1, and the same vice-versa.

Personally, as much as I dig the new stuff, I think it's time for a new direction already. More prog rock/metal, please.

Zantera

Yeah the 70's thing is fairly lame for me.
They did two albums, one good and one great (as I see it), and something new and refreshing would be cool.
Even though I don't care that much for Scarsick as an album, TPE part 3 would be cool.

Perpetual Change

Like I said, both these album are what, like just under an hour? I think there's a good 30 minutes of great music on each. Two albums probably wasn't necessary.

faemir

I love TPE1 and Scarsick, so I would totally welcome part 3.

Ultimetalhead

I've got this delusion that Gildenlow will end up returning to delicious prog metal when he does TPE part III. Or, he could make another Scarsick, which would taint the entire series. THERE'S STILL TIME TO SAVE THE NAME OF THE PERFECT ELEMENT, DANIEL. MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION.

ariich

I don't think he'll do the same thing as the RS albums again, but I don't expect him to do anything else again either. I imagine he'll explore something else new as he always does.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.

bout to crash

:tup

Anyway, finally got RS2 yesterday (had to go to three different stores) and will be listening to it on my commute :)

Liberation

Quote from: Ultimetalhead on October 13, 2011, 06:40:11 AM
I've got this delusion that Gildenlow will end up returning to delicious prog metal when he does TPE part III. Or, he could make another Scarsick, which would taint the entire series. THERE'S STILL TIME TO SAVE THE NAME OF THE PERFECT ELEMENT, DANIEL. MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION.
Why exactly do you need to "save" something that has two flawless parts this far?

Also, it seems every album starting with BE is a 180 degrees turn. Epic, symphonic and philosophical BE -> dark, ultramodern and down to earth Scarsick -> lively '70s Road Salt.

Conclusion? ELECTRONIC ALBUM INCOMING

Zantera

I would probably enjoy an electronic album more then RS1 and Scarsick to be honest, but in terms of variety, I think they hit a homerun with The Perfect Element really.
That album just has loads of variety, and doesn't really have a single weak spot throughout.

Ultimetalhead

Quote from: Liberation on October 13, 2011, 08:57:35 AM
Quote from: Ultimetalhead on October 13, 2011, 06:40:11 AM
Why exactly do you need to "save" something that has two flawless parts this far?
Scarsick is an abomination.

Liberation

Gorille85

Scarsick is good though. And I would love to hear an electronic album by them!

NecessaryPain

Quote from: ariich on October 13, 2011, 07:47:17 AM
I don't think he'll do the same thing as the RS albums again, but I don't expect him to do anything else again either. I imagine he'll explore something else new as he always does.

That's fine by me. PoS is always evolving and always making new music.

I don't necessarily want another RL or TPE, either. I'm happy for some new stuff.

Just no more 70's. They are both worthy additions to their discography, and they will be awesome live, but two albums is plenty.

I wouldn't be suprised if Gildenlow decided to go for a heavier approach next time round. That's something they've not quite explored yet.

ariich

I'd love to hear something more electronic from PoS. 1979 showed how amazingly that kind of influence can work.

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: Gorille85 on October 13, 2011, 11:24:34 AM
Scarsick is good though. And I would love to hear an electronic album by them!

I'd be interested in seeing how this would work.  They have such an organic sound (especially in the more recent efforts, but throughout their proggy years as well) that it's not easy to imagine how they would create an electronic album and still make it sound like Pain of Salvation.  As far as what's coming next, the only hint I know of is that Daniel said that TPE3 is still to come, and it will be symphonic.  But even that was a while ago, and it's very possible that things have changed.  I can't wait to see where they go next! 

faemir

Can anyone explain why Portnoy seems to always do drums on Ashes whenever possible?

petrucci07

Quote from: faemir on October 13, 2011, 05:05:16 PM
Can anyone explain why Portnoy seems to always do drums on Ashes whenever possible?

He likes the song+likes playing with other bands+is ronery