Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)

Started by ariich, August 23, 2010, 05:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

faemir

Braeking Darling Break... wtf that flute at the end?

edit: why was of salt a bonus track?

in fact, why are any of the extra songs on rs1/2 bonus tracks? Did the band ever mention why? They don't exactly feel like b-sides.

perfectchaos180

Road Salt Two was better than I was expecting

I hated Road Salt One at first, but most of the songs have grown on me (Innocence is phenomenal), and I've been obsessed with this band for the past couple of months

Softly She Cries and The Deeper Cut were really good

Mortar Grind was amazing

Disappointed in the final track so far (and by that I mean the Physics of Gridlock), its usually the best one :(

I like the orchestral stuff, but since it is a double album it kind of doesn't fit....

lelanddt

Guys...........Vocari Dei and Pluvius Aestivus are unbelievable songs! I know, I'm probably three albums too late. But Still!

Ben_Jamin

Vocari Dei is the best song ever made to be honest. Its emotional and has this heavenly atmosphere. The messages are among the best emotion I've heard, its one song I will never ever get tired of, and when I read the track by track concept before I bought the album, this track was the one that had me interested, for the concept of the song and how they executed it.

bout to crash

lelanddt

Quote from: bout to crash on September 27, 2011, 10:10:31 PM
Quote from: Ben_Jamin on September 27, 2011, 09:31:20 PM
Vocari Dei is the best song ever made to be honest.

I wouldn't go that far.

Maybe not the best of all time, but incredibly beautiful, elegant, and simple. It doesn't need to be long or complex. It's really special!

AwakeFromOctavarium

I never got the love for Vocari Dei. Latericius + Omni is much much better imo.

Liberation

So, I'm after my first listen of RS2. :)

The first impression is definitely good, I think better than it was with RS1. My favourites this far are:
The Deeper Cut - this song really has a lot of character. (I don't know how to explain it better.) It's just... strong. And I love the repeated "into the wild...".
Through The Distance - beautiful. As simple as that.
The Physics of Gridlock - well, this song is pretty weird, especially part III, but it's great. Daniel is actually doing really well with French. :p

Also, I LOVE Road Salt Theme and End Credits. They give the album that feeling of being a well-constructed piece and an actual album, rather than randomly placed songs which was my major issue with RS1. Also, the album feels much more consistent overall (there's no :hefdaddy song for me yet like Sisters was on RS1, but nothing that I have trouble to listen to the end like She Likes to Hide).

Though a thing I really dislike about both RS albums is the whole "I'm so manly, she's so fragile" theme in the lyrics. Daniel has shown one million of times in the past, and even on RS itself (Sisters again) that he can talk about male-female relations in a much more subtle and emotional way. It brings it down for me a bit, especially compared to songs with really interesting lyrics like Conditioned or Through The Distance.

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: lelanddt on September 27, 2011, 10:33:17 PM
Quote from: bout to crash on September 27, 2011, 10:10:31 PM
Quote from: Ben_Jamin on September 27, 2011, 09:31:20 PM
Vocari Dei is the best song ever made to be honest.

I wouldn't go that far.

Maybe not the best of all time, but incredibly beautiful, elegant, and simple. It doesn't need to be long or complex. It's really special!

Thats some reasons why I consider it to be the best. One other is how the song doesn't over do it. The samples add to that mystery of who/what god is, but then I'm talking about the live version. Haven't heard the studio version, but since it was played live that alone adds to the magic. Since that is how I judge a songs greatness.

faemir

Zantera

Road Salt Two is really really fantastic.
Quite possibly their best since BE, or maybe even TPE (IMO), and I would rank it as my third favorite PoS-album together with BE, after Entropia and TPE.

Standout songs for me: The Physics of Gridlock, The Deeper Cut, Healing Now and Conditioned.

petrucci07

I really like The Deeper Cut (which by the way, according to the lyrics book has a subtitle of "Into the Wild", which is kinda cool), but this won't top Scarsick for me. Not that I think it's their best, I just think it's their last great album.

faemir

You guys are crazy, To the Shoreline is the best.

Dem vocals.

Zantera

To the Shoreline is great, but not top4 on the album for me.

faemir

I'm really excited for their next album though, as much as I love 70s prog, I've just had too much of it recently.

Scarsick was easily their best mixed album too, I was going back and Remedy Lane / TPE 1 sound really bad compared to BE onwards.

Zantera

Yeah, I don't care for the "going back to the 70's because it's popular"-thing.
Will be interesting to see what they do next. :)

petrucci07

Quote from: faemir on October 02, 2011, 10:03:31 AM
I'm really excited for their next album though, as much as I love 70s prog, I've just had too much of it recently.

Scarsick was easily their best mixed album too, I was going back and Remedy Lane / TPE 1 sound really bad compared to BE onwards.

I find that the mix on Scarsick is a bit clinical (however well that fits with the subject matter); I think the best mixed is "BE". Although the mixes on Ending Theme and 12:5 are brilliant too

Liberation

Quote from: Zantera on October 02, 2011, 09:39:30 AM
To the Shoreline is great, but not top4 on the album for me.
Agreed.
Quote from: Zantera on October 02, 2011, 10:04:22 AM
Yeah, I don't care for the "going back to the 70's because it's popular"-thing.
Will be interesting to see what they do next. :)
And this too.

faemir

You guys are crazy, Shoreline is easily top 4.

Nighthawkwill7

As someone who is new to Pain of Salvation, I am loving Road Salt 2.

Now to work my way through the back catalogue  :biggrin:

Any particular album considered a must-have?

Liberation

Quote from: faemir on October 02, 2011, 03:27:40 PM
You guys are crazy, Shoreline is easily top 4.
Well, for me the top four this far is:
Through The Distance
The Deeper Cut
The Physics of Gridlock
Softly She Cries

To The Shoreline is very nice, but it doesn't grab me as much as these four (plus Conditioned which would be fifth I think).

faemir

I think I just have a man-crush on the very final bit where he goes a little bit higher (an octave? I'm no technical guy)

Zantera

Rank the songs on the album then.. :P

The Physics of Gridlock
The Deeper Cut
Healing Now
Conditioned
Softly She Cries
To the Shoreline
Eleven
Mortar Grind
Through the Distance
End Credits
Of Salt
Road Salt Theme
Break Darling Break

ariich

To the Shoreline
The Deeper Cut
The Physics of Gridlock
Eleven
Healing Now
Softly She Cries
Of Salt
Through the Distance
Conditioned
Mortar Grind
End Credits
Road Salt Theme
Break Darling Break

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Liberation

After three listens (and this far I've stuck to the vinyl so no bonus songs yet):
The Deeper Cut
The Physics of Gridlock
Softly She Cries
Conditioned
Eleven
Through The Distance
To The Shoreline
Healing Now
Mortar Grind

I do not rank Road Salt Theme and End Credits, because I love both but can't find a way to fairly compare them with the rest.

Softly She Cries, 1979 and Eleven are going up my list very quickly. Through The Distance on the other hand fell down a bit. It's a very consistent album overall, I put Healing Now second lowest but I still like it very very much (and it also grows on me a bit). The only song I have issues with is Mortar Grind - it sounds a bit muddy, and I really dislike the lyrics. Though the way they sing "MORTAR GRIND" is amazing.

Also, does anyone know what's the meaning of "eleven"? (Other than that it's actually repeated 11 times during the song)

TheVoxyn

faemir

I'm now enjoying RS2 in ways RS1 never did. It's brilliant.

Zantera

RS1 is still fairly meh for me, but RS2 is brilliant.

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

LieLowTheWantedMan

Quote from: Liberation on September 28, 2011, 06:11:56 AM
Though a thing I really dislike about both RS albums is the whole "I'm so manly, she's so fragile" theme in the lyrics. Daniel has shown one million of times in the past, and even on RS itself (Sisters again) that he can talk about male-female relations in a much more subtle and emotional way. It brings it down for me a bit, especially compared to songs with really interesting lyrics like Conditioned or Through The Distance.
Exactly what I'd been thinking. However, I love this album, which is great since their previous two disappointed me.

Also, my favourite is Mortar Grind. Even if it does sound like Down.

Liberation

Actually, when I look at it now only Mortar Grind has this problem on RS2. RS1 had too much of this though.

The King in Crimson

Just got my CD and t-shirt today and I'm listening now.

Wow, this is soooooo much better than Road Salt One so far (which I liked quite a bit). The jam section in Eleven is so much fun.

wolfking

Still getting my head around this album.  RS1 took a long time to grow on me so I'm guessing this one is the same.  A lot of the melodies on RS2 seem stronger though.  I would have liked some more heavier songs, but the diversity of the material here is exceptional.  It's amazing how this band has never made the same album twice. 

jonny108

The Deeper Cut
The Physics of Gridlock
Through the Distance
Healing Now
To the Shorline
Eleven
Conditioned
End Credits
Mortar Grind
Softly She Cried ( EDIT: Solfly She Cries not cried.)
Road Salt Theme

Amazing album  :)

Liberation

Quote from: jonny108 on October 09, 2011, 05:14:27 AM
Softly She Cried [second last]
[softly he cries]

But... but... it's a great song :(