Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 450679 times)

Online PMSummer

Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #3605 on: August 30, 2023, 02:21:39 PM »
I mean I like dogs too but I see multiple every day without thinking about it but you betcha the second I see a panther I'm telling all my mates about it.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3606 on: August 30, 2023, 02:28:15 PM »
I mean I like dogs too but I see multiple every day without thinking about it but you betcha the second I see a panther I'm telling all my mates about it.

Alright, we cool then.

You don't have to shut your dirty whore mouth.  :biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3607 on: August 30, 2023, 02:35:32 PM »
the last time i saw a panther in person just left me kind of depressed, honestly. it was shortly after the album panther came out, so my thoughts on how i related to that trapped panther in the song were weighing heavily on my mind. i was at the zoo with my ex-wife and two of our children and ended up at the big cat exhibit and there was a panther there sleeping on a tree.

my family kept trying to bother it and wake it up and it made me a little sad and got me thinking. that panther at the zoo, confined in a world not meant for it, felt like a reflection of the song's theme. my daughter encouraged me to shout at it and because she's my daughter i did but in that moment i felt like one of the dogs. i'll be honest, it left me feeling a bit disgusted.

i'm not here to preach or be like a bleeding heart liberal or anything, but after that, i made a decision – i won't be going to the zoo again. my children were upset and my ex-wife told me i was being ridiculous (ever wonder why she's my ex?) but it's about staying true to my values.
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3608 on: August 30, 2023, 07:05:35 PM »
in this dog world, i've often felt like a panther trying to find my place. and you know what? i've come to realize that it's okay to be different, to be that panther in a sea of dogs. pain of salvation helped me finally put it into words and embrace it.

recently, i've been reflecting on my journey, and i can't help but draw parallels between my experiences and the dynamics in my family. people like my ex-wife, my mother, my oldest daughter, well, they're like the dogs, sticking to their routines and familiar paths. and that's alright – there's beauty in their simplicity and steadiness. but me? i'm that panther, the one who's always seeking something more, something different. i've embraced change, explored the depths of my emotions, and ventured into uncharted territories. it's not always easy being the panther, but it's where i find my authenticity and my true self.

pain of salvation's music has been my refuge, my companion in this journey of self-discovery. their songs resonate with the struggles of the panther – the longing, the questioning, and the yearning for something beyond the ordinary.

so, here's to embracing the panther within, and to finding our own paths in this dog world. may we all find the courage to be true to ourselves, no matter how unconventional it might seem. :metal

I hate that I can't/suck at interpreting lyrics. My brain goes automatically to the music. Very interesting take. Have to revisit Panther with your interpretation in mind and focus on the lyrics.

I've grown to love Panther. Concrete Lake is my fave. I actually got to spend sometime with POS at Prog Power USA. They stayed in the same hotel as I did. Very nice dudes. I have to dig out my Polaroids.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #3609 on: August 31, 2023, 04:15:50 AM »
I feel that the departure of Johan Langell really impacted this band. PoS compositions require a really tight drummer (in terms of style) to bring it together and Margarit just isn't it, unfortunately.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3610 on: August 31, 2023, 07:09:31 AM »
i can't help but think it could've been even more intriguing if they had gone with the title "dog" instead.

imagine this: a whole concept album where you're experiencing life from the perspective of a dog in a world dominated by panthers. i mean, how cool would that be? it could've explored themes of survival, adaptation, and the struggle to find your place in a world that's not exactly tailored for you.

the tracks could've taken us on a journey through different scenarios - from navigating the dense jungle-like landscapes to encountering other animals, maybe even forming unexpected bonds with them. the dog's perspective could've given us a unique way to explore the dynamics of power, hierarchy, and maybe even rebellion against the panther rule.

i'm not saying "panther" is bad by any means. it's got that signature pain of salvation sound with their progressive and thought-provoking lyrics. but just think about the emotional depth we could've had if they delved into the psychology of being a dog surrounded by panthers. the struggle to fit in, the longing for acceptance, and the constant awareness of your own vulnerabilities.

the musical arrangements could've been just as diverse, maybe even incorporating some canine-like elements in the instrumentation to really immerse us in the dog's perspective. i can already imagine the melodic riffs and harmonies capturing the dog's curiosity, fear, and determination.

overall, "panther" is a solid album with its own merits, but i can't help but feel that "dog" could've taken the whole concept to another level. it's all about exploring a different angle and bringing out those hidden emotions that we might not have considered before. anyways, just my two cents on the matter. would love to hear what you guys think!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3611 on: August 31, 2023, 07:50:03 AM »
i can't help but think it could've been even more intriguing if they had gone with the title "dog" instead.

imagine this: a whole concept album where you're experiencing life from the perspective of a dog in a world dominated by panthers. i mean, how cool would that be? it could've explored themes of survival, adaptation, and the struggle to find your place in a world that's not exactly tailored for you.

the tracks could've taken us on a journey through different scenarios - from navigating the dense jungle-like landscapes to encountering other animals, maybe even forming unexpected bonds with them. the dog's perspective could've given us a unique way to explore the dynamics of power, hierarchy, and maybe even rebellion against the panther rule.

i'm not saying "panther" is bad by any means. it's got that signature pain of salvation sound with their progressive and thought-provoking lyrics. but just think about the emotional depth we could've had if they delved into the psychology of being a dog surrounded by panthers. the struggle to fit in, the longing for acceptance, and the constant awareness of your own vulnerabilities.

the musical arrangements could've been just as diverse, maybe even incorporating some canine-like elements in the instrumentation to really immerse us in the dog's perspective. i can already imagine the melodic riffs and harmonies capturing the dog's curiosity, fear, and determination.

overall, "panther" is a solid album with its own merits, but i can't help but feel that "dog" could've taken the whole concept to another level. it's all about exploring a different angle and bringing out those hidden emotions that we might not have considered before. anyways, just my two cents on the matter. would love to hear what you guys think!

Dude I can see it, an album about just wanting to fit in, have your own place with your own people who you mutually care for, love, and protect.

Honestly that would be the antithesis of a Daniel Gildenlow concept though lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #3612 on: August 31, 2023, 07:51:44 AM »
I hear the next album is called "YOU ALL JUST DONT GET ME! UGH!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #3613 on: August 31, 2023, 07:53:52 AM »
I hear the next album is called "YOU ALL JUST DONT GET ME! UGH!"

:lol :lol :lol

thank y'all for indulging my silly idea  :rollin
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3614 on: August 31, 2023, 09:21:07 AM »

appreciate your creative take on the album concept, but it seems like you might be missing the point of "panther" and maybe even pain of salvation's style in general. the album's focus is more on exploring human emotions, struggles, and societal themes through metaphors, rather than literally embodying different animals' perspectives.

pain of salvation's approach often involves delving into complex and abstract ideas, and "panther" is no exception. while the "dog" concept you mentioned could be interesting, it doesn't quite align with the band's typical thematic exploration.

it's totally fine to have your own interpretations and preferences, but maybe pain of salvation's music might not resonate with the angle you're looking for. that's the beauty of art – it's subjective and can evoke different responses from different people.

keep on enjoying the music in your own way, and maybe explore other bands that delve into animal-themed concepts more directly. cheers!
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

« Reply #3615 on: August 31, 2023, 11:04:29 AM »

appreciate your creative take on the album concept, but it seems like you might be missing the point of "panther" and maybe even pain of salvation's style in general. the album's focus is more on exploring human emotions, struggles, and societal themes through metaphors, rather than literally embodying different animals' perspectives.

pain of salvation's approach often involves delving into complex and abstract ideas, and "panther" is no exception. while the "dog" concept you mentioned could be interesting, it doesn't quite align with the band's typical thematic exploration.

it's totally fine to have your own interpretations and preferences, but maybe pain of salvation's music might not resonate with the angle you're looking for. that's the beauty of art – it's subjective and can evoke different responses from different people.

keep on enjoying the music in your own way, and maybe explore other bands that delve into animal-themed concepts more directly. cheers!

thanks for takin' the time (you can feel the waves coming on!) to share your thoughts on my take about the "panther" album. i get what you're saying about the album's focus on human emotions and all that metaphorical stuff. i guess i just saw it from a different angle, you know? like, sometimes music hits folks in ways that might not be exactly what the artist intended, and that's the beauty of it.

i agree that pain of salvation goes deep into complex ideas, and "panther" isn't any different. but i reckon my dog analogy was more around the vibe it gave me rather than literal animals. but i get where you're coming from – their style's more about abstract themes and societal stuff.

you're right – art's all about interpretation and feeling a connection, even if it is not the same as everyone else's. i'll keep on spinning their tunes, and yeah, maybe i'll check out other bands that fit that animal-themed bill more closely. thanks for the insights, mate. do you have any specific examples? i'd love to hear a few!!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3616 on: August 31, 2023, 12:28:16 PM »

thanks for takin' the time (you can feel the waves coming on!) to share your thoughts on my take about the "panther" album. i get what you're saying about the album's focus on human emotions and all that metaphorical stuff. i guess i just saw it from a different angle, you know? like, sometimes music hits folks in ways that might not be exactly what the artist intended, and that's the beauty of it.

i agree that pain of salvation goes deep into complex ideas, and "panther" isn't any different. but i reckon my dog analogy was more around the vibe it gave me rather than literal animals. but i get where you're coming from – their style's more about abstract themes and societal stuff.

you're right – art's all about interpretation and feeling a connection, even if it is not the same as everyone else's. i'll keep on spinning their tunes, and yeah, maybe i'll check out other bands that fit that animal-themed bill more closely. thanks for the insights, mate. do you have any specific examples? i'd love to hear a few!!

thanks for being open to the discussion, mate. absolutely, music can resonate in all sorts of unexpected ways, and it's cool to see how different folks connect with it uniquely. i apologize if i got the wrong impression from your post - mentioning things like jungles gave me the impression you were taking the animal theme a bit too literally, but maybe we're actually on a similar wavelength after all. :lol

still, if you are into exploring bands with a more outright animal-centric concept, you might want to give a listen to bands such as the eagles, band of horses, fleet foxes, counting crows, modest mouse, whitesnake, bloodhound gang, imagine dragons (if you enjoy a more fantasy-themed flair), owl city, a flock of seagulls, or gorillaz. i can't vouch for the quality on all of these as a few were recommendations from my son, but i hope this helps! :heart

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3617 on: August 31, 2023, 12:33:34 PM »

thanks for being open to the discussion, mate. absolutely, music can resonate in all sorts of unexpected ways, and it's cool to see how different folks connect with it uniquely. i apologize if i got the wrong impression from your post - mentioning things like jungles gave me the impression you were taking the animal theme a bit too literally, but maybe we're actually on a similar wavelength after all. :lol

still, if you are into exploring bands with a more outright animal-centric concept, you might want to give a listen to bands such as the eagles, band of horses, fleet foxes, counting crows, modest mouse, whitesnake, bloodhound gang, imagine dragons (if you enjoy a more fantasy-themed flair), owl city, a flock of seagulls, or gorillaz. i can't vouch for the quality on all of these as a few were recommendations from my son, but i hope this helps! :heart
What about Ratt?

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3618 on: August 31, 2023, 12:36:25 PM »

What about Ratt?
i don't believe the animal has two ts and also my son and i were trying to recommend bands that are enjoyable

Online PMSummer

« Reply #3619 on: August 31, 2023, 12:41:29 PM »
Seriously, what the hell is going on here? It's like the thread took a wrong turn at irony junction and ended up in a parallel universe of utter randomness.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3620 on: August 31, 2023, 12:45:12 PM »
Seriously, what the hell is going on here? It's like the thread took a wrong turn at irony junction and ended up in a parallel universe of utter randomness.

I know, right? It's like a bunch of dogs in here, like this is a dog's world or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3621 on: August 31, 2023, 12:50:04 PM »
This is what the rap verses on Panther do to a mf
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3622 on: August 31, 2023, 01:00:16 PM »

after i cleared up the misunderstanding with 808 i decided to have some fun with the animal topic and if you could not properly identify that list of bands as part of a jape you might be a dog yourself, mate :lol no worries though much love brother

I know, right? It's like a bunch of dogs in here, like this is a dog's world or something.

this i kind of take offense to though - i established earlier in the thread i identify with the panther - it's a little upsetting to be labeled a dog :\

Offline Adami

« Reply #3623 on: August 31, 2023, 01:04:21 PM »
You're just a panther living in a dog's world.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3624 on: August 31, 2023, 01:14:39 PM »

i'm going to guess you're being sarcastic but i'm not going to rise to the bait. expected better behavior from a moderator though. :sad:

Offline Adami

« Reply #3625 on: August 31, 2023, 01:20:51 PM »

i'm going to guess you're being sarcastic but i'm not going to rise to the bait. expected better behavior from a moderator though. :sad:

Huh?

1. I'm not a moderator. That was a joke from Bosk
2. I was kidding. Not being sarcastic or trying to provide bait. Just trying (and failing) to be silly. No harm meant.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3626 on: August 31, 2023, 01:28:33 PM »

Huh?

2. I was kidding. Not being sarcastic or trying to provide bait. Just trying (and failing) to be silly. No harm meant.

oh... my mistake... much love brother :metal

Offline Adami

« Reply #3627 on: August 31, 2023, 01:38:06 PM »

Huh?

oh... my mistake... much love brother :metal

:metal
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3628 on: August 31, 2023, 07:18:38 PM »

I've grown to love Panther. Concrete Lake is my fave. I actually got to spend sometime with POS at Prog Power USA. They stayed in the same hotel as I did. Very nice dudes. I have to dig out my Polaroids.

Glad to see some love for OHBTCL...It was the first POS album I listened to, back when it came out (Entropia was re-printed later) and I always found it to be  fantastic. In retrospect, still retaining some of the eclectic approach of Entropia (there are still a few writing credits for Daniel Magdic, if I remember correctly), but already channeled into the more "mature" version of POS. The production is a bit weird, but the songs are undeniable. Might not be my #1 (that spot is for Remedy Lane), but it's top 3 on most days.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3629 on: September 01, 2023, 07:09:28 AM »

Glad to see some love for OHBTCL...It was the first POS album I listened to, back when it came out (Entropia was re-printed later) and I always found it to be  fantastic. In retrospect, still retaining some of the eclectic approach of Entropia (there are still a few writing credits for Daniel Magdic, if I remember correctly), but already channeled into the more "mature" version of POS. The production is a bit weird, but the songs are undeniable. Might not be my #1 (that spot is for Remedy Lane), but it's top 3 on most days.

I would love to see OHBTCL get a full remix the way RL did. Hell, get the same guy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline obelix5150

« Reply #3630 on: September 07, 2023, 07:41:46 PM »
I feel that the departure of Johan Langell really impacted this band. PoS compositions require a really tight drummer (in terms of style) to bring it together and Margarit just isn't it, unfortunately.

I just have to say quickly, as someone who has played with Leo since Spring of last year, that he is one of the absolute top class drummers in progressive music. :)

Offline Adami

« Reply #3631 on: September 07, 2023, 07:44:39 PM »

I just have to say quickly, as someone who has played with Leo since Spring of last year, that he is one of the absolute top class drummers in progressive music. :)

I'll admit that it took me a while to get into Leo, but the stuff he plays on the last two albums truly blows my mind. Just didn't love his playing on the Road Salt albums, but I didn't really love those albums anyway.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3632 on: September 08, 2023, 03:01:51 AM »
And DG probably comes up with a lot of the drumming to begin with, so who knows how much of that is 100% the drummer's "fault". That said, I have no issues with his drumming and I quite enjoy it.

Offline Kram

« Reply #3633 on: September 08, 2023, 12:14:10 PM »
Agreed, Leo is awesome! Johan was great too, no doubt.  But when I listed to POS (especially the last 2 albums as Adami pointed out), one thing that DOES NOT come to mind, is the drumming being subpar.

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #3634 on: September 08, 2023, 01:17:05 PM »
When Daniel says "fuck the homies, fuck the poses" what exactly does he mean. Who is he giving the big FU to and why???
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3635 on: September 08, 2023, 02:21:46 PM »
When Daniel says "fuck the homies, fuck the poses" what exactly does he mean. Who is he giving the big FU to and why???

well, i reckon it's hard to say for sure what daniel means by them words in the song cribcaged. could be he's just venting some frustration or expressing disapproval towards certain folks, but it's open to interpretation, ya know? sometimes artists use strong language like that to convey their emotions or make a point in their music. as a long-time fan of pain of salvation, i've learned to appreciate the complexity and depth of their lyrics, even if they don't always align with my own views. it's all part of what makes their music so thought-provoking and unique.

maybe he just hates these bitches:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3636 on: September 08, 2023, 03:00:42 PM »

I love Cribcaged.

Just based on the style of the song itself, I would say it’s an obvious “diss track” aimed at the entire “gangsta rap” culture… I’m not against any style of music, but the lifestyle has become a product to be sold, and image is everything. It’s the whole ball of fake wax that he’s aiming at, and I think it’s brilliant.

I also love the way that *everything* in the lyric sheet that he says “F***” to, has a trademark symbol next to it. Just a brilliant move that really underlines what everything in the song is aimed at.

I’ve been putting a trademark symbol next to Ozzy’s(tm) name ever since.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3637 on: November 03, 2023, 02:26:41 PM »
for those who never saw this, but their complete TPE live at ProgPower is on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjXl7K3Mx1Lxp5CzlBX4sO2zAF53zLW8K

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3638 on: November 03, 2023, 02:30:32 PM »
I thought the song Cribcaged was based off of the MTV show Cribs?  Lyrics point to that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3639 on: February 03, 2024, 09:20:09 PM »