Author Topic: I Listened to Raw Dog Again  (Read 10277 times)

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
Re: I Listened to Raw Dog Again
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2010, 12:21:24 PM »
Bebot solo? :O where?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2010, 12:22:56 PM »
Bebot solo? :O where?

After the first keyboard solo, the change in tone is definitely there, and when it ends you can tell that the nature of the patch changing pitch is very similar to the Bebot solo in A Rite of Passage.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2010, 12:53:51 PM »
They're not bad, just different

That's what fanboys say about everything that gets even a slight bit of criticism.

(That's not to say that you are a fanboy...)
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2010, 01:41:12 PM »
I dunno about anyone else, but I find it pretty ridiculous that people will happily have a go at Darkes for not being able to accept the opinions of others, but will then accuse BRGM of being a troll because his opinions differ from the norm. Ok his English isn't great, but then he's a kid from Sweden, there's no reason he should HAVE to have perfect English, and he's good enough to express his opinions. Everyone should try responding to what he says instead of discussing his posting style, which is never on topic.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2010, 01:43:24 PM »
Oh and tri.ad, he was talking about his opinions being different rather than bad, which is absolutely true. The only "bad" opinion is one based on factually incorrect information. Outside of that, calling an opinion bad is pretty lame.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2010, 01:56:03 PM »
Oh and tri.ad, he was talking about his opinions being different rather than bad, which is absolutely true. The only "bad" opinion is one based on factually incorrect information. Outside of that, calling an opinion bad is pretty lame.
I've seen people say that making fun of bad music isn't trolling before.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline j

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2010, 02:00:55 PM »
The only "bad" opinion is one based on factually incorrect information.

Right, like "Systematic Chaos is superior to 8 of the 9 other DT albums". :neverusethis:

-J

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2010, 02:12:58 PM »

Right, like "Systematic Chaos is superior to 8 of the 9 other DT albums". :neverusethis:

-J

Well, that's a matter of opinion.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2010, 02:35:20 PM »

-J
:lol :facepalm:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2010, 03:09:32 PM »
Oh come on! hahaha  :lol

Well, SC just happens to be one of my fav Albums of all time...sorry ^^ but that's just how I am, hehe :P I kinda like their heavy stuff as well, and I do not understand all this talking about "wankery" in that album.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2010, 03:19:34 PM »
The wankery comes from that fact that, while I'm positive the songwriting wasn't conceived this way on purpose, something about the combination of the riffs themselves, the style they're trying to play, and their ideas of how the execute those ideas (meaning Petrucci and Jordan doing a lot of shredding and fast arpeggios) melds into something that, to a good number of people, sounds mindless and scattered. Back during Images and Words a lot of the sections with those same characteristics (the arpeggios and fast playing) came out not muddled and creative for some reason. I want to attribute this to the fact that the band sat down and tweaked those parts to perfection but that might not be the case. Nowadays it seems that the band is so wrapped up in the technicality of their technical sections that they come out bland and uninspired. For a great deal of people it works though I'm not really a fan of it. It's a shame because this is the same exact group that created some great technical sections in Scenes From A Memory.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2010, 03:22:29 PM »
Well, SC just happens to be one of my fav Albums of all time...sorry ^^ but that's just how I am, hehe :P I kinda like their heavy stuff as well, and I do not understand all this talking about "wankery" in that album.
:tup :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »
The wankery comes from that fact that, while I'm positive the songwriting wasn't conceived this way on purpose, something about the combination of the riffs themselves, the style they're trying to play, and their ideas of how the execute those ideas (meaning Petrucci and Jordan doing a lot of shredding and fast arpeggios) melds into something that, to a good number of people, sounds mindless and scattered. Back during Images and Words a lot of the sections with those same characteristics (the arpeggios and fast playing) came out not muddled and creative for some reason. I want to attribute this to the fact that the band sat down and tweaked those parts to perfection but that might not be the case. Nowadays it seems that the band is so wrapped up in the technicality of their technical sections that they come out bland and uninspired. For a great deal of people it works though I'm not really a fan of it. It's a shame because this is the same exact group that created some great technical sections in Scenes From A Memory.

hmmmm...Okay...Cuz I like their technical stuff on SC, seems I'm one of a few.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2010, 04:07:36 PM »
BRGM, keep in mind that this forum is not necessarily representative of opinions of the whole DT fanbase. I know plenty of people who like SC. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2010, 04:09:41 PM »

Because it honestly feels like DT is focusing on technicality in SC more than songwriting, whereas the quality of the song should come before technicality. To add to that, many of the songs in SC just aren't very good to me, so it really feels like there was more of an emphasis on technicality and less on quality songwriting. That's why it tends to get that label.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »
I've always maintained that after the emotion of Score, SC was DT's "take a breather" album. It's not serious and very fun to listen to. I gave them a pass and hoped for something much more impactful on their "next" album. SC is very easy on the ears and I enjoy it immensely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2010, 04:26:01 PM »
I've always maintained that after the emotion of Score, SC was DT's "take a breather" album. It's not serious and very fun to listen to. I gave them a pass and hoped for something much more impactful on their "next" album. SC is very easy on the ears and I enjoy it immensely.

I agree with this completely. The fact is, when I first listened to it, I thought it was good. Sometimes, I feel like I unfortunately let people on the internet color my opinion a little bit too much.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2010, 04:26:23 PM »

Good one TAC.  Keeping this in mind makes it easier to enjoy SC.  That album isn't even in my top 5, but I still enjoy it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »
That album isn't even in my top 5, but I still enjoy it.
Exactly the same here. :tup

And well said TAC!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2010, 04:41:33 PM »
Yes, but

To me it's better than Ytse Jam...and well..no question about it being better than Eve...pfft

I kid, but I couldn't resist.  Luv ya, BRGM, you old weirdo you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2010, 04:44:40 PM »
That album isn't even in my top 5, but I still enjoy it.
Same here, its on my bottom 2, but i still like, it the thing is that the album is "bad" by DT standard.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline j

« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2010, 07:31:26 PM »

No need to apologize, and I think there's some really good stuff on SC just like every other DT album, even the lesser ones.

And for what it's worth, you seem to have a decent sense of humor, and it's hard not to like you in spite of your outlandish opinions. :biggrin:

-J

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2010, 01:35:48 AM »
I listened to it again today and I couldn't help but feel Mike's drums had more of a punch and had a better volume in the mix and it wasn't a compressed song in terms of production. It's a perfectly balanced production and sounds better than BC&SL in my opinion. Not much, but better.

Just my noobish opinion  :D
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2010, 02:10:14 AM »
I listened to it again today and I couldn't help but feel Mike's drums had more of a punch and had a better volume in the mix and it wasn't a compressed song in terms of production. It's a perfectly balanced production and sounds better than BC&SL in my opinion. Not much, but better.

Just my noobish opinion  :D

I partly agree with you. As faulty as the production on SC was, you can't deny that the drums have the necessary punch that lacks on BCASL. BCASL sounds slightly better in terms of loudness, but the drums aren't accentuated enough to provide the necessary punch and thus, they got drown out by the overloud guitars.

Mentlegen.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2010, 02:33:48 AM »
I partly agree with you. As faulty as the production on SC was, you can't deny that the drums have the necessary punch that lacks on BCASL. BCASL sounds slightly better in terms of loudness, but the drums aren't accentuated enough to provide the necessary punch and thus, they got drown out by the overloud guitars.

ANTR would have sounded great if it had the drum sound of Raw Dog. The double kicks and blast beats would sound excellent.

I don't what it is with me though recently, I have been paying more attention to sound quality and production. On SC, the two main sounds you hear are drums and guitar. If they turned down JP a little and turned MP up and JM up and keep JR where he is, the mix would be excellent. Raw Dog has the production I want
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2010, 03:41:09 AM »
Nothing wrong with that, mate. :)

And it's a common phenomenon in today's music production in rock and metal that the guitars overpower everything; I think this is because they appear to not be affected that much by the huge amount of compression these days.

As for Raw Dog... Well, the guitars, particularly the rhythm guitar, are too loud compared to the rest of the instruments. But the drums have the right amount of punch, the snare could be louder, though.

Mentlegen.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2010, 06:30:20 AM »
I'm not so picky about production anyways. Raw Dog is great when it's only the rhythm guitar is playing. It makes you headbang for shit, but the bad part is when it all becomes a solo fest. That really turns me down.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2010, 11:07:58 AM »
SC's production has always seemed sterile, though the loud mastering hasn't really helped in changing that.