Bad
21 (10.6%)
Terribly
4 (2%)
Meh
18 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Samsara

I was never a big fan of the record to begin with and my appreciation for it is still pretty low. I did finally come around on "The Count of Tuscany," but aside from that and "A Rite of Passage," (although I prefer the radio edit on that to the full version) I pretty much don't care for the album at all.

?

:rollin at the cannibal concept! Anyway, BC&SL has aged pretty well. I like TCOT more than I did at first but I also like AROP less than I used to.

bodiesinflight

Man, it really doesn't feel like it's over a year old already...

bosk1

Quote from: Samsära on August 19, 2010, 07:33:54 AM..."A Rite of Passage," (although I prefer the radio edit on that to the full version)

I feel the same way about that song.  It's pretty good as is, but shortening it just a bit as they did for the edit actually takes it up a notch.  I wish that version were available for purchase.

Samsara

Quote from: bösk1 on August 19, 2010, 07:43:08 AM
Quote from: Samsära on August 19, 2010, 07:33:54 AM..."A Rite of Passage," (although I prefer the radio edit on that to the full version)

I feel the same way about that song.  It's pretty good as is, but shortening it just a bit as they did for the edit actually takes it up a notch.  I wish that version were available for purchase.

Frankly, I think it's a symptom of a lot of songs DT has put out recently. I love long songs that take you on a journey, but sometimes, just being long to be "progressive" just doesn't work. To me, a song should never ever want you to hit the fast-forward button. I mean seriously, who the hell skips a note of "A Change of Seasons" or even "Home?" Not me. But I can't say the same for a lot of the material in DT's most recent albums.

I truly hope they grasp the concept that just because you can make something long, doesn't mean you should, if the song tells itself in six or seven minutes as opposed to 10.

Time will tell.

hefdaddy42

This.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

MirzekDT

Quote from: Samsära on August 19, 2010, 07:52:41 AM

Frankly, I think it's a symptom of a lot of songs DT has put out recently. I love long songs that take you on a journey, but sometimes, just being long to be "progressive" just doesn't work. To me, a song should never ever want you to hit the fast-forward button. I mean seriously, who the hell skips a note of "A Change of Seasons" or even "Home?" Not me. But I can't say the same for a lot of the material in DT's most recent albums.

I truly hope they grasp the concept that just because you can make something long, doesn't mean you should, if the song tells itself in six or seven minutes as opposed to 10.

Time will tell.

I know that I'm in minority here but if there is Dream Theater epic where I sometimes feel this little section maybe shouldn't be here then it's only some parts of ACOS and ITPOE's Reckoning last solo section and "JR madness part" as it was labelled on making of DVD but I never skip anything anyway... However AROP for example is definitely more consistently intersting to me than ACOS

Shooters1221

WOW, crazy looking back at this. Much more positive than today. :o

Sorry if I posted and shouldn't have in this thread.

fadetoblackdude7

Happy 10 year to BC&SL! I'd say it has aged quite well!