Author Topic: 2011/12 Setlist Predictions Thread  (Read 105711 times)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Re: Setlist Predictions/Wishlist Thread
« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2011, 08:17:02 PM »
The Great Debate! However live they could cut out the sample voices. I think it adds to the song at home and when I listen to the whole album I listen to the song all the way through, but I would love to hear this song live.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #246 on: February 03, 2011, 08:32:18 AM »
There's ONLY 12 songs that I still "need" to see DT perform:
Don't Look Past Me
Status Seeker
Light Fuse & Get Away
Only A Matter of Time (have only seen as partial part of medley)
Space Dye Vest
You Not Me
Take Away My Pain
Where Are You Now
Wither
The Best of Times
The Shatterred Fortress
Raw Dog
Anything else they play is gravy! :metal

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: February 03, 2011, 11:32:39 AM »
Don't Look Past Me
Status Seeker
Light Fuse & Get Away
Space Dye Vest
The Best of Times

Don't count on any of these.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #248 on: February 03, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »
Don't Look Past Me
Status Seeker
Light Fuse & Get Away
Space Dye Vest
The Best of Times

You forgot to keep Raw Dog with those

Worst song DT has made apart from SoC

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #249 on: February 04, 2011, 12:23:46 PM »
I'd quite like to see some Raw Dogging done.  ;)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #250 on: February 04, 2011, 12:42:59 PM »
Same here...it'd be rockin.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #251 on: February 05, 2011, 05:34:09 AM »
Don't Look Past Me
Status Seeker
Light Fuse & Get Away
Space Dye Vest
The Best of Times

You forgot to keep Raw Dog with those

Worst song DT has made apart from SoC
This, but include SoC
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2011, 06:19:30 AM »
SIX DEGREES OF INNER TURBULENCE IS ONE SONG GODDAMMIT

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InsistentTerminology

The best example... they play Solitary Shell live on its own. It has a unique chorus and melody. It has a complete verse / chorus structure and a solo.

Six Degrees is a song, yes. Big long forty-minute long doohickey. Solitary Shell's a song too. They even indexed it separately purely to let you - the listener - listen to it on its own.

It's music. It's an ambiguous concept. Appending a silly word to it doesn't make any difference to how it sounds, and it's so cloudy a "thing" that it can be loads of different things at once dependent on context or mood or whether there's an F in the month. The fans care about the terminology way more than the band ever have. You can call Solitary Shell whatever the christ you like and it's still the same bit of music. I like to call it a "Reginald." Six Degrees is a "Parsley." Which are at once both the same thing and completely different.

I'm firmly in the "I don't really care for a second what SDOIT is, let's all go listen to About to Crash" camp.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #253 on: February 06, 2011, 09:29:08 AM »
It's one song because the band said it was one song :P

Offline robwebster

« Reply #254 on: February 06, 2011, 05:19:46 PM »
Totally.

Doesn't preclude ATC from being a song too.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #255 on: March 06, 2011, 04:21:27 PM »
They should stop this MP's obsessive compulsive thing and also remove his signature songs: the full AA suite, The mirror, The best of times, Honor thy father, and play Wait for sleep/Learning to live, Scarred/Space-dye vest, full versions of Take the time and Metropolis Pt.1, You not me and Anna Lee.

IMHO.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #256 on: March 07, 2011, 02:38:19 PM »
They should stop this MP's obsessive compulsive thing and also remove his signature songs: the full AA suite, The mirror, The best of times, Honor thy father, and play Wait for sleep/Learning to live, Scarred/Space-dye vest, full versions of Take the time and Metropolis Pt.1, You not me and Anna Lee.

IMHO.

I have no idea what you are trying to say with your overall post, other than what they should and should not play.  And I have to say, that list is very..."off," for lack of a better term.

-12 Step Suite:  Some of those songs are fan favorites that a LOT of people like having played.  There is no reason why they shouldn't play those songs.
-The Mirror:  Great song.  Fans love it.  There's no reason to not play it.
-The Best of Times:  Yeah, very personal song for Mike.  I doubt they'd play it, and that's probably for the best.
-HTF:  Not quite as personal and emotional as TBOT, but kind of in a similar vein.  Still, they've played it in the past, and I wouldn't be shocked if they played it again because I'm pretty sure JP likes it.

-Wait for Sleep:  Why wouldn't they play it?  They've played it before and I wouldn't be surprised if they played it again.  But what does this have to do with Mike?
-Learning to Live:  Same.
-Scarred:  Same.  Except that JP doesn't like playing it, so I can actually see it being pulled from the sets now that Mike is no longer around to write sets that include it.
-Space Dye Vest:  I don't really care.
-Full version of Take The Time:  I'm fine with the edit because it only excludes the part that is impossible to sing anyway.  But, as with other songs above, (a) there's no reason to believe it won't be played again, and (b) what does this even have to do with Mike?
-Full version of Metropolis:  Yet again, it's been played a ton in the past and (a) there's no reason to believe it won't be played again, and (b) what does this even have to do with Mike?
-You Not Me:  The vast majority of fans would be thrilled if this never got played.
-Anna Lee:  I would love for this to be included, as would a lot of others.  I believe Mike said awhile back that it would likely show up in a future set.  Not sure how the rest of the band feels about it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #257 on: March 07, 2011, 03:34:12 PM »

IMHO.

I have no idea what you are trying to say with your overall post, other than what they should and should not play.  And I have to say, that list is very..."off," for lack of a better term.

-12 Step Suite:  Some of those songs are fan favorites that a LOT of people like having played.  There is no reason why they shouldn't play those songs.
-The Best of Times:  Yeah, very personal song for Mike.  I doubt they'd play it, and that's probably for the best.
-HTF:  Not quite as personal and emotional as TBOT, but kind of in a similar vein.  Still, they've played it in the past, and I wouldn't be shocked if they played it again because I'm pretty sure JP likes it.

-Wait for Sleep:  Why wouldn't they play it?  They've played it before and I wouldn't be surprised if they played it again.  But what does this have to do with Mike?
-Scarred:  Same.  Except that JP doesn't like playing it, so I can actually see it being pulled from the sets now that Mike is no longer around to write sets that include it.
-Full version of Take The Time:  I'm fine with the edit because it only excludes the part that is impossible to sing anyway.  But, as with other songs above, (a) there's no reason to believe it won't be played again, and (b) what does this even have to do with Mike?
-Full version of Metropolis:  Yet again, it's been played a ton in the past and (a) there's no reason to believe it won't be played again, and (b) what does this even have to do with Mike?
-You Not Me:  The vast majority of fans would be thrilled if this never got played.
-Anna Lee:  I would love for this to be included, as would a lot of others.  I believe Mike said awhile back that it would likely show up in a future set.  Not sure how the rest of the band feels about it.

I think that post was supposed to be a joke (albeit a poorly worded one).

Most of those songs are unaffiliated with Mike, and who the fuck would suggest that Dream Theater shouldn't play LtL?

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #258 on: March 08, 2011, 10:59:53 AM »

IMHO.

Gotta respectfully disagree with you here Bosk....First of all, the poster said they SHOULD play Wait for sleep/Learning to live, Scarred/Space-dye vest, full versions of Take the time and Metropolis Pt.1, You not me and Anna Lee.

Secondly, I am in 100% agreement, that for THIS upcoming tour cycle (at least) they should NOT play any of MP's "signature" songs like the ones mentioned. I really don't wanna see any of the 12 step songs or The Mirror, played without MP (let's face it, you know as well as everyone that at some point, MP WILL return). :hefdaddy

Finally, I guess I am in the major minority here, but I'd LOVE to see You Not Me played on this tour! Why? Because it's one of the 12 DT songs I've never seen played live before. That's what I'm about when I go to see DT. It's not about "hearing the hits", or the "classics"...sure, they're cool, but I want to see stuff I've never seen played before. So bring on, "Don't Look Past Me", "Status Seeker", "Light Fuse And Get Away", "Only A Matter of Time", "Space Dye Vest", "You Not Me", "Take Away My Pain", "Where Are You Now", "Wither" & "Raw Dog"!!! :tup
I'll patiently wait for MP to return to see "The Shattered Fortress" (to close out the 12 step suite in it's entirety) & "The Best of Times"  ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #259 on: March 08, 2011, 11:35:19 AM »
Gotta respectfully disagree with you here Bosk....First of all, the poster said they SHOULD play Wait for sleep/Learning to live, Scarred/Space-dye vest, full versions of Take the time and Metropolis Pt.1, You not me and Anna Lee.

I know.  My point is, there is already precedent for most of those, and an expressed desire for others, so why wouldn't they?

Secondly, I am in 100% agreement, that for THIS upcoming tour cycle (at least) they should NOT play any of MP's "signature" songs like the ones mentioned. I really don't wanna see any of the 12 step songs or The Mirror, played without MP

Okay.  Well, as I said above, I don't get that sentiment at all and I think it would just be depriving fans of good music most of us want to hear for no good reason I can see.  Why would they do that?

let's face it, you know as well as everyone that at some point, MP WILL return  

I highly doubt it.  Barring him doing just a guest spot at some point down the road or playing at a "reunion" show in the distant future if the band ever disbands and then gets back together after a significant amount of time has passed, I would be shocked if we ever see Mike Portnoy in DT again.  You may feel free to correct me if it ever happens, but I feel very confident that that day will never arrive.

Finally, I guess I am in the major minority here, but I'd LOVE to see You Not Me played on this tour! Why? Because it's one of the 12 DT songs I've never seen played live before.

That's fine.  Your logic in general is great.  A lot of us love the rarities.  But the reason you are, as you acknowledged, in the minority with regard to that particular song is because it is generally considered to be a bad song.  I don't want to hear a bad song just because it is rare (and this is one of very few DT songs I would consider a "bad" song).  Does that mean it won't be played?  I don't know.  But, again, most fans would be just fine never hearing this song in a live set.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bargey

• Moving In Circles
« Reply #260 on: March 09, 2011, 04:13:37 AM »
I'd like to see them do something similar to that recent Opeth tour DVD:

Start with an entire classic album (either I&W, Awake, FII, SFAM, 6DOIT, 8VM) for act 1, then a song from every other album in order for act 2. Maybe in between the two acts they could play 3 or 4 of the songs from the new record, or some covers / rarities.

But TBH as long as they play for 4 hours every night I couldn't care less what songs they play :P
Withdrawn and Introverted, Infectiously Perverted

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #261 on: March 12, 2011, 03:12:22 PM »
They had better keep Honor Thy Father. Its one of their heaviest songs that's well structured.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #262 on: March 14, 2011, 03:38:39 AM »
I'm in the minoroty, and much prefer "You Or Me" over "You Not Me."  But require to hear either live at some point for my mission to fulfilled.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #263 on: March 14, 2011, 04:53:46 AM »
I'm in the minoroty, and much prefer "You Or Me" over "You Not Me."  But require to hear either live at some point for my mission to fulfilled.

I actually agree with you

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #264 on: March 17, 2011, 02:52:39 AM »
I'd like to see them do something similar to that recent Opeth tour DVD:

Start with an entire classic album (either I&W, Awake, FII, SFAM, 6DOIT, 8VM) for act 1, then a song from every other album in order for act 2. Maybe in between the two acts they could play 3 or 4 of the songs from the new record, or some covers / rarities.

But TBH as long as they play for 4 hours every night I couldn't care less what songs they play :P

That would be totally tits, but I think Live Scenes from New York kinda touches on that idea, Including ACoS.
If they did that again, or in your case like RAH by Opeth, they would have to pull out some rare cuts that, if I'm not mistaken by the earlier posts in the thread, some of the band members don't even like.

Perhaps someone should start a thread on this idea, and see what everyone comes up with.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #265 on: June 10, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »
Home, A change of seasons, count of tuscany, and space dye vest please  ;D
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #266 on: July 05, 2011, 10:52:10 AM »
So now that we have seen yesterday's setlist we can start speculating what will change for the rest of the tour.

Assuming they keep the one song per album format:

I could see ANTR instead of TCOT
Spirit instead of FT? Maybe Home?
CIAW is probably almost a nightly thing

Other than that I don't know much about DT setlists beyond their Chaos in Motion tour

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #267 on: July 23, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »
I think DT is in full melodic mode now. After the new album release, we're gonna see a massive ADTOE setlist, filled up with the old glories from I&W, Awake and FII, with some surprises like Space-dye vest, Anna Lee, Raise the knife, To live forever and Don't look past me. I really got this strong feeling and it got me very excited.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #268 on: July 23, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »
I think DT is in full melodic mode now. After the new album release, we're gonna see a massive ADTOE setlist, filled up with the old glories from I&W, Awake and FII, with some surprises like Space-dye vest, Anna Lee, Raise the knife, To live forever and Don't look past me. I really got this strong feeling and it got me very excited.

Were I James, I would not like the idea of singing Don't Look Past Me. That song is awfully difficult!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #269 on: July 23, 2011, 12:05:28 PM »

Were I James, I would not like the idea of singing Don't Look Past Me. That song is awfully difficult!

Yes it is. As beautiful as difficult.

Just wishful thinking.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #270 on: July 23, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »

They already said there's no plans to do B sides or anything anytime soon.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #271 on: July 23, 2011, 03:07:32 PM »

They already said there's no plans to do B sides or anything anytime soon.

I never said soon. I am thinking of the next months.

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #272 on: August 24, 2011, 03:02:01 PM »
Lets see what we got folks. What will they play?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:31:15 AM by cyberdrummer »
This is a nice place

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #273 on: August 24, 2011, 04:03:12 PM »
2 Hours, 35 minutes (approx.)

Under A Glass Moon
On The Backs of Angels
Forsaken
Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo
Ytse Jam
Outcry
Home
Trial of Tears
The Great Debate
Far From Heaven/
Breaking All Illusions
Innocence Faded
Wither
Octavarium
------------
Metropolis, Pt. 1
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #274 on: August 24, 2011, 04:44:20 PM »

Under A Glass Moon
On The Backs of Angels
Forsaken
Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo
Ytse Jam
Outcry
Home
Trial of Tears
The Great Debate
Far From Heaven/
Breaking All Illusions
Innocence Faded
Wither
Octavarium
------------
Metropolis, Pt. 1

I would die to hear this setlist  :o Love it!!
This is a nice place

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #275 on: August 26, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »
Lets see what we got folks. What will they play?

Well, since they will only be playing about 2 hours, I think the setlist will be something like this:
Under A Glass Moon
These Walls
On The Backs of Angels
Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo / Ytse Jam
Outcry
Wither
Peruvian Skies
The Great Debate
Caught In A Web
The Spirit Carries On
Lost Not Forgotten
In The Presence of Enemies
-----------------
Far From Heaven
Breaking All Illusions

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #276 on: August 26, 2011, 09:54:24 PM »
Are they going to be keeping the same songs from the European tour? I like the set list they got. Only problem is I know what to expect kinda wanted a surprise for my first DT concert. That's what I get for browsing the forums so much :P

2 hours is awesome, I hope they can go 2.5 more DT the better. I would suspect Trivium will play for hour?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #277 on: August 26, 2011, 10:05:12 PM »

Under A Glass Moon
On The Backs of Angels
Forsaken
Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo
Ytse Jam
Outcry
Home
Trial of Tears
The Great Debate
Far From Heaven/
Breaking All Illusions
Innocence Faded
Wither
Octavarium
------------
Metropolis, Pt. 1

This would be awesome.
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #278 on: August 26, 2011, 11:14:54 PM »
They will likely change up a few songs here or there, while keeping the 'one song from every album' they've been doing so far this cycle.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #279 on: August 27, 2011, 05:15:22 PM »

It'll probably be similar to the Europe leg. I can see their encore being Far From Heaven and Breaking All Illusions, meaning they'd consistently end their main set with The Great Debate, Learning To Live, or Metropolis.

I don't see The Count Of Tuscany being played this time around.  Same with Ytse Jam, but given that one's much shorter, who knows?

Peruvian Skies, Caught In A Web, Fatal Tragedy, and Under A Glass Moon will probably all stay on the setlist. There's a decent chance These Walls, Forsaken, and Endless Sacrifice will as well, but I'm less attached to those songs.

Other than FFH/BAI, I bet they'll consistently play OTBOA, BMUBMD, and probably two other new songs. Probably LNF, Outcry, or Bridges In The Sky. Beneath The Surface and This Is The Life won't be played right away, a la Wither.

I really don't know which older songs might be added, if any, but I'm holding out for Hell's Kitchen.