Author Topic: 2011/12 Setlist Predictions Thread  (Read 105760 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Setlist Predictions/Wishlist Thread
« Reply #210 on: November 04, 2010, 12:33:53 PM »
Having another evening with tour again would be pretty effing sweet.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #211 on: November 04, 2010, 01:05:18 PM »
Yes since the only times I saw them were with gigantour and maiden. Although the gigantour time would be good for me if they get an opening band
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #212 on: November 04, 2010, 06:45:53 PM »
I just hope they'll play Hell's Kitchen now that mike won't say NO!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2010, 03:15:49 PM »
Just to weigh in on a couple of disputes earlier in this thread (sorry for being late to the table):

Hell's Kitchen:  I'm surprised to hear that MP refused to play Hell's Kitchen in its entirety.   I saw the full song played in 1998 at Toad's Place, and it rocked.  So he has put it the setlist before. 

Anna Lee:  I always thought MP wanted to bring this song back into the setlists, but I figured he never found the right tour to fit it in.  In a DVD audio commentary MP gives high praise to the song and its Beatles-like vibe, and mentions that he would like to play it again soon. 

You Not Me:  In the FII official bootleg liner notes, Mike calls the original demo version a cool tune and says to look for its return in future live sets.  (I was so excited by this proclaimation that when I met MP at a meet and greet, I told him that I was looking forward to it being played very soon.  MP, however, did not respond and just looked at me with glazed over eyes.  I think he might have just been burned out, as it was the last date on ProgNation 09)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »
Would it be correct to assumed that most of the songs that has Mike's back vocals won't be played anytime soon?
Also songs with Mike's personal lyrics like the AA suite, Constant Motion and ACoS is probably out of the question now.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2010, 02:11:11 AM »
Would it be correct to assumed that most of the songs that has Mike's back vocals won't be played anytime soon?
Also songs with Mike's personal lyrics like the AA suite, Constant Motion and ACoS is probably out of the question now.

Why? Songs with Kevin Moore's lyrics have been played since he left the band. Aside from something like The Best of Times (equivalent to Kevin's Space Dye Vest), I don't see any reason why the band wouldn't consider playing the songs you've listed. I do think out of respect for MP that they'll hold off on performing the 12 Step Suite in it's entirety until he returns.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2010, 04:51:47 AM »
I agree.  With the exception of TBOT and maybe some of the 12 Steps songs, they've played the hell out of everything else to the point where they aren't necessarily MP songs anymore, but part of the DT live catalogue.  Not much reason to avoid playing them.  Except for Constant Motion, of course.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2010, 12:33:06 PM »
The only 12 step song I can see not being played is The Shattered Fortress
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2010, 12:43:32 PM »
I could live with this setlist every damn time. Best DT show I've seen of the 14.

https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/?show=766
That was my first concert.   :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #219 on: November 08, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Hell's Kitchen:  I'm surprised to hear that MP refused to play Hell's Kitchen in its entirety.   

He didn't.

I do think out of respect for MP that they'll hold off on performing the 12 Step Suite in it's entirety until he returns.

This is one of the very few times I'll ever disagree with you when it comes to DT-related info, but:  Dude, he's not coming back. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Dream Team

« Reply #220 on: November 08, 2010, 01:51:31 PM »
Who's going to do MP's vocal parts in the 12-step songs, CM, etc? The only options are JP and the new drummer, and I sure hope they don't pick the new drummer solely on the criteria that he has an awesome "harsh" voice.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #221 on: November 08, 2010, 03:23:23 PM »
Who's going to do MP's vocal parts in the 12-step songs, CM, etc? The only options are JP and the new drummer, and I sure hope they don't pick the new drummer solely on the criteria that he has an awesome "harsh" voice.

They aren't idiots.  They know what they're looking for.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #222 on: November 08, 2010, 11:51:17 PM »

I really doubt they'll play too much of the 12 step songs from now on, simply from a logistics point of view.

As far as songs like CM, Petrucci can probably do the trade off stuff. None of portnoys harmonies are too important.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Dream Team

« Reply #223 on: November 09, 2010, 11:36:42 AM »

They aren't idiots.  They know what they're looking for.

Actually, what I meant to say is that I hope that isn't part of the criteria AT ALL.

Offline gilpdawg

« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2010, 05:08:03 AM »

I really doubt they'll play too much of the 12 step songs from now on, simply from a logistics point of view.

As far as songs like CM, Petrucci can probably do the trade off stuff. None of portnoys harmonies are too important.
It would be a shame if we don't hear Glass Prison again. And JP had as much to do with that song as MP did. I don't think they'll play the whole thing, but I don't think anybody would mind if they played one of those songs every other tour or something.

Online Adami

« Reply #225 on: November 12, 2010, 11:28:55 AM »
Well they might play TGP, but they'd have to re-distribute the vox, because it's split 3 ways as of now.

TDS shouldn't be too hard, but I don't think they have much of a reason to play it, they haven't in a while I don't think.

They could play TROAE, I guess.

They won't play Repentence, well....probably for the same reason they've barely played it already.

They'll probably never play TSF, for obvious reasons.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #226 on: November 12, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »
I dunno.  I've said before that I think it would be awesome if they did a "mini-12SS" with TGP going right into TSF.  You get a lot of the best of the suite that way without eating up such a huge chunk of the set by playing the whole thing.  Obviously, with Mike out, it's less likely than it otherwise might be.  But I don't know that they necessarily wouldn't do it without Mike being in the band.  I don't think they necessarily have to exclude any particular song (other than probably TBOT).  But I guess I could see them feeling like playing some things like the 12-Step songs might just be too touchy.  Either way, not a big deal if you ask me.  Yeah, they're great songs that would be great to see live.  But it's not like DT don't have enough other material to keep their sets interesting from now until whenever they ultimately decide to call it quits.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #227 on: November 12, 2010, 03:47:42 PM »
I dunno.  I've said before that I think it would be awesome if they did a "mini-12SS" with TGP going right into TSF.  You get a lot of the best of the suite that way without eating up such a huge chunk of the set by playing the whole thing.  Obviously, with Mike out, it's less likely than it otherwise might be.  But I don't know that they necessarily wouldn't do it without Mike being in the band.  I don't think they necessarily have to exclude any particular song (other than probably TBOT).  But I guess I could see them feeling like playing some things like the 12-Step songs might just be too touchy.  Either way, not a big deal if you ask me.  Yeah, they're great songs that would be great to see live.  But it's not like DT don't have enough other material to keep their sets interesting from now until whenever they ultimately decide to call it quits.

Oh I don't think its a big deal either. I figured we wouldn't have heard Repentence even WITH mike in the band unless they did the whole suite.

As for TSF, I just can't picture JP going "INVENTORY!!!!!!!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #228 on: November 12, 2010, 06:04:17 PM »

Oh I don't think its a big deal either. I figured we wouldn't have heard Repentence even WITH mike in the band unless they did the whole suite.

As for TSF, I just can't picture JP going "INVENTORY!!!!!!!"

John Myung is going to do it

Online Adami

« Reply #229 on: November 13, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »
SELF RESTRAINT!

Show some.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #230 on: November 23, 2010, 09:16:54 PM »
I'd actually really like to see them do stuff from the first album.  So far I've only seen Ytse Jam and Fortune In Lies...I'd really like to see a little Light Fuse and Get Away or Status Seeker...or...shit it's actually been so long since I listened to it I don't remember any other song titles  :P
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2010, 03:21:54 PM »
I could live with this setlist every damn time. Best DT show I've seen of the 14.

https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/?show=766
Oh hey, I was at this one. AWESOME setlist. AFiL? Mirror? Finally Free? Met. I? A Mind Beside Itself? ITNoG? ACoS? All at the same show? We were treated like kings!

Offline newmarko

« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2011, 10:31:50 AM »
Mike was the main person involved in the set lists every night, and was pretty involved in the process even choosing songs based on the last time they played in a city.

So what now? Do you think they will just play a standard set list, or will they continue to switch songs from night to night?

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2011, 03:27:27 PM »
Ocatavarium for me. That would be awesome to get that one live.
"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #234 on: January 18, 2011, 09:15:16 AM »
Metropolis!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2011, 09:18:08 AM »
Metropolis!
Actually, this. It's a tried-and-true classic which I've yet to see them perform.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: January 18, 2011, 07:49:05 PM »
Metropolis!
Actually, this. It's a tried-and-true classic which I've yet to see them perform.

The extended jam is fucking awesome

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: January 18, 2011, 07:59:19 PM »
Metropolis!

The extended jam is fucking awesome
I'm sure it is. I've never seen Dream Theater jam before. The only thing out-of-the-ordinary (which was ordinary on the tour, I think) I've seen them (er, Mike Portnoy) do was play Iron Maiden's "Where Eagles Dare"'s intro at the end of the big ending to "Home" (I think) on the Black Clouds & Silver Anniversary Tour.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: January 18, 2011, 08:13:01 PM »
I saw it ProgNation 09. If that's the only time I'll have seen Metropolis, it was well worth it. I'm sure you'll get it

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2011, 04:10:25 AM »
I think SDV would now be possible to hear in DT consert because JR and JLB perform this song in Tarrytown NY.

or what you think?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #240 on: January 22, 2011, 09:49:30 AM »
I don't care for the song too much. Of course with all the mystique surrounding it, it'd be cool to say I've seen it, but on a personal level I don't care all that much.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #241 on: January 22, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »
six degrees...once was not enough
maybe even with an extended solo section  :biggrin:

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive