Author Topic: Would You Be Interested...  (Read 17028 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Would You Be Interested...
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 10:02:38 AM »
goodbye yellow brick road...wow, I would like to hear that!
You're missing on a great acoustic set! This was released with the International Fan Club (I think in '98?). I really like this CD. You should get your hands on it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 10:03:29 AM »
I can't see DT doing an acoustic album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »
??? Damnation is not an all-acoustic CD.  Far from it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 11:19:58 AM »

I was thinking the same thing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 11:32:14 AM »
I'll love whatever they come out with next, but I hope they do something like SFAM, Awake, or SDOIT again (in the musical aspect at least). That would be cool.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 12:01:56 PM »

I know it's not all acoustic, but saying "acoustic" is just an easier way of saying its mostly mellow, especially when compared to past materials.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I want to hear more magical songs like to live forever.

Yeah me too. And I'd personally love an acoustic/mellow album by DT but I don't think it'll happen.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2010, 12:41:15 PM »
A change-up of that sort would certainly be welcome. DT has become very stale to me.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2010, 01:02:42 PM »
I'm happy with their sound atm, I hope they carry on the way they are atm.

Offline xeper

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2010, 01:04:09 PM »
I broached the subject about an all-acoustic disc some time ago, and it met with a lot of resistance from folks on here.

But yeah, I'd be totally down with it. All acoustic, with Jordan on a real piano.

Immediately came to my mind when I read the OP. His ivories tickle me:blush  :metal
Have you guys heard his latest solo album "Notes on a Dream"? It's all him doing piano w/ reworkings of some DT tunes. Really good stuff, it's probably on iTunes/Amazon/whatever else digitally.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 01:11:03 PM »

I agree. To Live Forever is one of my favourite DT songs, and I'd love to see them doing a song that is in the same or a similar vein. Unfortuantely, I can't seem them doing it.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2010, 02:28:50 PM »

I agree. To Live Forever is one of my favourite DT songs, and I'd love to see them doing a song that is in the same or a similar vein. Unfortuantely, I can't seem them doing it.

There's something so lovely and atmospheric about that song.  :heart

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 02:54:28 PM »
Hey, this is an interesting thread.  I wouldn't be thrilled with an acoustic album.  But I do think DT needs to modify their approach for the next album.  I found it interesting in a recent interview, Jim Matheos even seems to be taking subtle shots at DT -- saying that the prog metal genre has become too much about long songs and fast playing.  I took that as slight shot at DT, since DT is the face of the genre.  An acoustic album?  No.  But something a little different?  For sure!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 02:56:42 PM »
I'd love to see a more mellow album from DT.  Their least heavy stuff (ToT, LtL, Octavarium) are some of my favorites.  I'd love to see an album like that.  The whole "4-piece kit, bunch of acoustic guitars and let's see what happens" thing sounds very much like Marillion's new album.  Acoustic or not, I think a more mellow DT record would be really cool.  It worked for The Mars Volta and Opeth.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2010, 03:14:12 PM »
Hoping for a bluegrass album myself.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2010, 03:17:41 PM »
I just think if DT went in with some new rules and restrictions, it might produce a very interesting outcome.

For instance. No typical JR solos. No fast unisons. One small drumkit. No more than 3 songs longer than 8 minutes and no more than 1 longer than 12. No fantasy or "straight from the diary" lyrics. No circus music or anything resembling the typical instrumental sections they have been doing since TDOE. (i'd go into more detail of that, but I don't feel like looking up time stamps). No more trying to be make "hits" and no more portnoy lead vocals.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2010, 03:22:56 PM »
I just think if DT went in with some new rules and restrictions, it might produce a very interesting outcome.

For instance. No typical JR solos. No fast unisons. One small drumkit. No more than 3 songs longer than 8 minutes and no more than 1 longer than 12. No fantasy or "straight from the diary" lyrics. No circus music or anything resembling the typical instrumental sections they have been doing since TDOE. (i'd go into more detail of that, but I don't feel like looking up time stamps). No more trying to be make "hits" and no more portnoy lead vocals.
Lyrics written by JMX and JR only. 

Portnoy not allowed to talk during the entire process of writing/recording the album.

Online Adami

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »
I don't care who writes lyrics, just take them seriously. In all the interviews, they all seem to chuckle when talking about petrucci's lyrics. Sure...it was funny for TDEN....but let it go. No more joke lyrics, no more "fun" lyrics, at least not until you prove you can do something different. And no, AROP doesn't count.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2010, 04:12:14 PM »
A-fucking-men.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2010, 04:15:38 PM »
They haven't repeated themselves in the past, so I doubt they will repeat this lyrical style as well. It's been done, it kind of worked, they'll probably move on and try something new.

Online Adami

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2010, 04:17:04 PM »
They haven't repeated themselves in the past, so I doubt they will repeat this lyrical style as well. It's been done, it kind of worked, they'll probably move on and try something new.

He's been doing horrible lyrics since ToT. Hell, I wouldn't even call anything past Awake to be "great" on petruccis part. The closest he has come is Misunderstood. Everything else was meh at best and horrible at worst.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2010, 04:18:50 PM »

I hope they do move on, as much as I love them I don't really like their recent lyrical style.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »
Wtf?

In The Name of God is IMO the best DT song lyric-wise. Most of his other lyrics don't go far behind. The Dark Eternal Night or The Count can't be compared since they're something entirely different.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2010, 04:24:37 PM »
I still don't think "fun" songs should be excused. I mean did Petrucci even look at what he wrote for The Count? Some of the lines are downright embarrassing even for a joke song.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2010, 04:30:34 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with the lyrics themselves, they're a well-executed idea of a tale or something. It's the way they're sung which is hilarious at times, and in a not really good way. I think I don't need to introduce the parts which I have in mind. :P

Online Adami

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2010, 04:47:22 PM »
Wtf?

In The Name of God is IMO the best DT song lyric-wise. Most of his other lyrics don't go far behind. The Dark Eternal Night or The Count can't be compared since they're something entirely different.

You're wrong. ITNOG is mediocre at best. It's just like a kids school report on the subject. As was AROP and any other "I read about this the other day" songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2010, 05:02:21 PM »
While I wouldn't say ITNOG has the best Petrucci lyrics (that honor goes to Voices, maybe LitS), they aren't medicore at best either.  They're just good.  Not really good, but good.  I do agree that this lyric slump they've been in since Scenes needs to end.  When Mike writes the best lyrics on the new album, you know something's gone wrong, even if another thing has improved.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2010, 05:05:41 PM »

There's something so lovely and atmospheric about that song.  :heart

This is dead on!!!!  Let the music breath a little bit. Some separation of sound.  Thats what I'd like to hear.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2010, 05:22:40 PM »
Wtf?

You're wrong. ITNOG is mediocre at best. It's just like a kids school report on the subject. As was AROP and any other "I read about this the other day" songs.
The song has a perfect balance of metaphor and straightforward approach, and it's just perfectly shown. It shows the source of the problem, but still remains somehow poetic. It's ironic at moments, but also serious enough. And most importantly the message feels really powerful, especially the chorus which is one of the most amazing choruses DT has created (lyrics + actual vocals + music). A Rite of Passage is a different thing entirely but I really like the symbolism in the song and the way the lyrics really feel like they're written by someone who knows what he's writing about.

While I wouldn't say ITNOG has the best Petrucci lyrics (that honor goes to Voices, maybe LitS), they aren't medicore at best either.  They're just good.  Not really good, but good.  I do agree that this lyric slump they've been in since Scenes needs to end.  When Mike writes the best lyrics on the new album, you know something's gone wrong, even if another thing has improved.
What about MP this time? Another "MP bashing day" I've missed in the calendar? Honor Thy Father may not be the best but it captures the subject. All his other lyrics are really good at least, and the whole AA Suite and Home are absolutely amazing.

I also don't see any serious lyrical change after SFAM. I'd draw the line between Octavarium and Systematic Chaos but that's due to the lyrical themes seriously changing rather than the "quality" itself.

Online Adami

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2010, 05:34:25 PM »
Dude, if you're under the impression that DT can do no wrong, then this thread just might not be for you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2010, 07:06:27 PM »
Sorry, I forgot that not whining about everything the band has done post-SFAM immediately makes me a blinded fanboy.

Online Adami

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2010, 07:13:56 PM »
Sorry, I forgot that not whining about everything the band has done post-SFAM immediately makes me a blinded fanboy.

No, but you're actually defending lyrics like TCOT. It's pretty accepted that they're terrible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2010, 07:14:07 PM »
That's not what he said.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2010, 07:27:20 PM »
No, but you're actually defending lyrics like TCOT. It's pretty accepted that they're terrible.
I think they're better than some people claim because they work the way the are. I haven't said they're great or something.

Btw, saying that "it's accepted" is the poorest argument possible.

That's not what he said.
It was obviously slightly exaggerated, but any other rational explanation of how do you find out someone thinks "the band can do no wrong" based upon a non-negative opinion on the band's recent work?

Online Adami

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »
Because you seem to counter any criticism made in this thread. That says something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com