Author Topic: Aerosmith  (Read 2926 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Aerosmith
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 07:56:05 PM »
Thanks for the recs, peeps. I'll take a look through them again later this week, try out the samples of them online, and pick a handful or so that show the most promise.  :hat

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2016, 12:16:42 AM »
And it has Beyond Beautiful which, for me, is one of their best songs despite (or because of) the Led Zep influence.  :metal
Any specific Zeppelin song?
Because I just realized that the pre-chorus "Under My Skin" is basically "Kashmir".

Not a specific song but the whole vibe is very reminiscent of Led Zep.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 05:03:11 AM »
I would also like to add that I love Rock In A Hard Place.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 07:23:12 PM »
"Beyond Beautiful" is a gem on an otherwise really uneven album. "The Grind" off of the 2004 album is also really good.

Couldn't get into the last one though.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 07:38:33 PM »
I stopped listening to anything new after Honkin' On Bobo. When the last album was released, I couldn't care less.

However, after reading a bit about the album (which has songs written by Tom and Brad for the first time since 1989), I'm now interested in giving it a chance.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2016, 04:05:41 PM »
I stopped listening to anything new after Honkin' On Bobo. When the last album was released, I couldn't care less.

I was the same way when the new album came out. I've always loved the classic stuff but I went through a phase where I was strongly against anything post Permanent Vacation. But I started to remember how much I loved albums like Nine Lives and Permanent Vacation when I was kid, so I gave the new album a chance, and it's.... interesting. Some of it is great (Luv xxx, Street Jesus, Something) and some of it is really bad, like that God-awful country song, or any of those horrible ballads. But I'd definitely give it a listen if I were you. Some of the bonus tracks are cool too, like the song Tom sings, Up on the Mountain, or the cover, Shakey Ground.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 06:24:36 PM »
Yeah, I assumed it wouldn't be a perfect album - no Aerosmith albums is, really (Pump is close, though).
Still, good to hear about the variety in it. Will check it out.

Last week I watched the MTV Icon docummentary (which was my introduction to the band in 2002). I didn't remember Pink's performance was that great! Probably my favourite of the show.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2016, 01:33:23 AM »
Well, thanks to seeing this thread, I went and made a 'best of' post 70s.  Surprised at how many of these and others I was somewhat/very much familiar with

Heart's Done Time / Rag Doll / Dude Looks Like A Lady / Angel / F.I.N.E. / Love In An Elevator / Janie's Got A Gun / Dulcimer Stomp / The Other Side / What It Takes + Untitled Track / Get A Grip /Fever / Livin' On The Edge /Crazy / I'm Down / Fallen Angels

There's only a handful of Beatle covers I enjoy, and 'I'm Down' is one of them.  Needed a short little punchy number near the end.  'Fallen Angels' (with Glenn Frey) made for a good closer.   If I was to expand to two discs , Eat The Rich / Cryin' / Hangman Jury / Monkey On My Back / Amazing / Jaded ....would be added, as well as Kings & Queens (since there is not enough room on my early best of).
I am sure there are others I missed.

I would add 'Pink' (had never seen that 'interesting' video until I read this thread.  We love it!)  I did give 'Night in the Ruts' a relisten.  It's OK, a semi-rehash 'Rocks' (which isn't all bad).  'Rock in a Hard Place'.....first time I ever heard it.  Sometimes it comes down to age, or when one hears a certain band/album.  I tried, but nothing grabbed me. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2016, 03:28:06 AM »
Cool! I need to get to know some albums too (the late '70s/early '80s, and Music From Another Dimension!). I hope to discover many gems as you did.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2016, 07:54:19 AM »
Inspired by this thread I gave Music From Another Dimension a couple of spins in the past few weeks. I had bought it two or three years ago when it was on sale, but never really listened to it.

This isn't bad at all. It has some good rockers and even some of the ballads work. Sometimes it sounds like classic Aerosmith.

My main gripe is that it's too long and loses momentum because of it. Cut it down to maybe ten songs, most of them rockers. Ditch the country balllad and the Tyler solo piece (as much as I like his voice, this doesn't work over sparse instrumentation), one of the Perry sung songs and maybe another ballad and you have a very solid and enjoyable record.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2016, 08:05:50 AM »
Cut it down to maybe ten songs, most of them rockers. Ditch the country balllad and the Tyler solo piece (as much as I like his voice, this doesn't work over sparse instrumentation), one of the Perry sung songs and maybe another ballad and you have a very solid and enjoyable record.

This is exactly what I did when I put the album on my iPod, except I ditched basically all the ballads and kept the perry songs. What can I say, I'm a Joe fanboy.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2016, 10:33:27 AM »
What can I say, I'm a Joe fanboy.
Walk on down :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2016, 05:06:33 PM »
To everyone who gave them, thanks for the recommendations last month.  :tup :tup

FYI, when I said, "What are some good deep cuts to check out from the 70s albums aside from Toys in the Attic?", I should have had the words "the ones from" before Toys in the Attic there, cause I have had that album forever and like all of it.

Checking out the recommended song sample on iTunes now. 

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2016, 12:05:29 PM »
Just Push Play

My Fav albums are Toys and Rocks, and ... JPP.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2016, 06:54:59 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2016, 07:02:16 AM »
Never cared for them all that much.  They are OK, I don't have anything against them, but I never, ever get the urge to listen to them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2016, 07:12:15 AM »
Probably understandable but I wouldn't bet much money on it.

Wasn't it The Eagles that were on a farewell tour for several years and The Scorpions that announced in 2010 that they quit only to tour constantly and record a new one?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2016, 03:16:30 PM »
Good thing I caught them on tour two years ago. Whenever you go to see an older band, you know it might be the last time you're seeing them. And that was the feeling I had with Aerosmith.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2016, 07:20:37 PM »
That news got me wondering:

Have any of you been to an Aerosmith show recently? Like, in the past 2 or 3 years.

The closest to 'live Aerosmith' I ever got was when I listened to A Little South Of Sanity on repeat in my early teens, and to my ears that sounded like a phenomenal band with a lot of energy.

But, those live recordings happened 20 years ago, so I'm curious: what do they sound like now?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2016, 04:10:24 AM »
To put it simple, they sound old. But still good and worth the money.  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2016, 08:44:50 PM »
Just finished listening to Pump, Get A Grip, and Nine Lives and that is one amazing 3 album run right there.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2016, 09:00:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCC2jUOMja4

Some songs are a bit slower, but I was actually shocked by how good they still sound. Truly didn't expect it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2016, 01:09:56 PM »
Just finished listening to Pump, Get A Grip, and Nine Lives and that is one amazing 3 album run right there.

I know a lot of people prefer the older material, but, for me, Pump is the most consistantly good material across the whole album of anything they've put out.