Author Topic: Aerosmith  (Read 2975 times)

SebastianPratesi

Aerosmith
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:03:16 PM »
Didn't find a thread about Aerosmith, so I decided to start one. I got into Aerosmith when I was 12, with the MTV Icon special in 2002. They were the first 'old' band I got into - it was my bridge to Metallica, the Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, etc.

I was obsessed with them for 2 years, and I bought every CD I could find at the time (which basically consisted of their Geffen-era albums/compilations and Just Push Play). Later on, I listened to their first 4 albums, and a friend gave me a copy of Honkin' On Bobo (a covers album) for my 14th birthday. After I got sucked into the world of prog, I basically lost interest in the band, but recently I've found myself interested in revisiting some of their songs.

Such a cool band! Steven and Joe usually get the attention, but Tom and Brad are amazing musicians too, and each of them has seen at least one of their songs become a single and a hit.

These are my favourites:

1. Trip Hoppin' (2001) some sort of tribute to The Beatles' "The End" on the solos
2. The Reason A Dog (1985) written by Tom
3. Janie's Got A Gun (1989) written by Tom
4. Permanent Vacation (1987) written by Brad
5. Deuces Are Wild (1993)
6. Blind Man (1994)
7. Same Old Song And Dance (1974)
8. Voodoo Medicine Man (1989) written by Brad
9. No More No More (1975)
10. Girl Keeps Coming Apart (1987)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:17:30 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Aerosmith
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 08:43:11 PM »
Good band. I still need to check out more of the deep cuts from the 70s, since they supposedly have a lot of good ones from those albums.  All of Toys in the Attic is great, and while many of their later hits, written by outside peeps, were a bit nauseating, songs like What It Takes, Love in an Elevator, Livin' on the Edge and Rag Doll are all great.  One of those bands that is easy to listen to in a group or at a party. :coolio

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 10:22:07 PM »
1 Kings and Queens/Movin Out

3 SOS/Walkin the Dog

After that there are a handful of songs that I really dig and a huge catalog of stuff that doesn't interest me in the slightest. But damn, those top 4 are Earth shattering.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 02:36:50 AM »
I love their 70 stuff, although there are some equally amazing songs later in their career. My favorite album has to be Draw the line. Other favorites: the debut, Toys in the attic, Rock in a hard place and Just push play. Saw them live two years ago, it would have been such a shame not to have seen such a legendary band.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 03:55:41 AM »
Very good band. I love their 70s stuff and I love their "comeback" output.

My favorites would be (in no particular order):

Toys In The Attic
Draw The Line
Pump
Get A Grip

They often get flak for their ballads and their use of outside writers, especially end of 80s/beginning of 90s but I don't mind. In fact I like most of their power ballads because they are way better than 90% of the rest and they did have some really strong rocking songs aside from that. And they made clever use of videos/MTV.

Saw them live two times in the 90s, once opening for Whitesnake and then as headliner (with The Black Crowes opening). They were killer live. Steven Tyler isn't the best of singers but he has that special on-stage charisma. Joe Perry played like twenty different guitars and while Joe and Steven get all the spotlights, Brad, Tom and Joey are just as essential for the sound and groove that makes Aerosmith great and special.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 07:33:32 AM »

3 SOS/Walkin the Dog

After that there are a handful of songs that I really dig and a huge catalog of stuff that doesn't interest me in the slightest. But damn, those top 4 are Earth shattering.

I LOVE that you mentioned "Movin' Out".  I absolutely LOVE that song. 

Favorite songs (not in order, except for the first one):
Seasons of Wither
Movin' Out
Major Barbara
The Reason a Dog
Kings and Queens
No Surprize
Cheesecake
Simoriah
Love In An Elevator (the girl in the black bikini in the video is perhaps the hottest girl ever in a music video)
Combination
No More No More

Favorite Albums (in order):
Toys In The Attic
Night In The Ruts
Get Your Wings
Rocks
Permanent Vacation

Say what you want about Steven Tyler, his voice has held up about as good as any singer in rock.  He's 67, and he can still bring it.  They used to be one of those bands I would go see each tour just because it was fun, but I've sort of stopped that now (I'm working on bucket list things), but I would go again to see them.  They just have too many great songs to ever put on a bad show (even the ballads work live). 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:40:44 AM by Stadler »

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 08:10:21 AM »
Lots of great tunes mentioned above.  One of my favorites is "One Way Street" from their debut album.  Great harmonica and guitars in that one.  The band I was in 20 years ago played this one, lots of fun, especially the build-up to the end of the song.
- Ronzoni -

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »
Love In An Elevator (the girl in the black bikini in the video is perhaps the hottest girl ever in a music video)

They used to be one of those bands I would go see each tour just because it was fun, but I've sort of stopped that now

I don't think I've ever watched that video - I guess I'll have to :P

What tours/years did you see them?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 09:53:19 AM »
Stadler, awesome call on The Reason A Dog. Great tune!! I love Done With Mirrors.

Also great call on recognizing Night In The Ruts and it's tracks. It's the heaviest of their albums and it is BY FAR my favorite.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »
What tours/years did you see them?

I saw:

The Done With Mirrors tour in 1985 (Steven Tyler was NOT sober and fell off the drum riser)
The Permanent Vacation Tour in 1987 (I think I saw two shows on this tour)
The Pump Tour in 1989 (Great great show; first time I saw my favorite song of theirs played live, "Seasons of Wither"  I think I saw two shows on this tour)
I can't remember if I saw the "Get A Grip" show; I was in Georgia then, so not 100% sure I would have.
The Nine Lives Tour in 1998 (Second date with my first wife)
The Kiss/Aerosmith tour in 2003 (This is up there with the best shows I've ever seen; Kiss as opening band DESTROYED.  They were SO good, and the only thing that made it less than perfect was Peter Criss sucked; I'm convinced there was a drummer back stage).
The Rockin' The Joint tour in 2005 (This pissed me off; it was a great show, but they played the night before as well.  They saw this for the last six songs:
Walkin' The Dog
Dream On
No More No More
Love In An Elevator
Seasons of Wither
Helter Skelter

I saw this:
Lord of Your Thighs
Dream On
No More No More
Love In An Elevator
Back In The Saddle
Draw The Line

Still good, but I'd seen BITS a hundred times before (well, at least five ;)) but I would have loved Lord..., Seasons... and the Beatles cover.  )

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 10:50:27 AM »
Cheesecake's a great song. Between the lyrics and that slide guitar it's just sleazy as all fuck.

Only saw Aerosmith once at one of the Texxas Jams (not the one from the DVD). At that point I was already sick of them. Every time they come through now I think to myself that I should grab a cheap scalper ticket just to see a couple of the songs that interest me. Then I think about the songs I'll also have to sit through and blow it off. They're one of a handful of bands whose bad songs outweigh any benefit of seeing their shows.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 10:57:34 AM »
Great hard-rocking band.  I like the 70's stuff the best, of course.  Get Your Wings, Toys in the Attic, Rocks, etc.  The debut isn't bad.

Got to play "Lord of the Thighs" a few summers ago at a jam.  I'd always wanted to play that song because of the piano part, and finally got to.  We nailed it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 12:19:01 PM »
Cheesecake's a great song. Between the lyrics and that slide guitar it's just sleazy as all fuck.

Only saw Aerosmith once at one of the Texxas Jams (not the one from the DVD). At that point I was already sick of them. Every time they come through now I think to myself that I should grab a cheap scalper ticket just to see a couple of the songs that interest me. Then I think about the songs I'll also have to sit through and blow it off. They're one of a handful of bands whose bad songs outweigh any benefit of seeing their shows.

I'd hate for you to go on my account and feel like you wasted your money, but the only song that REALLY doesn't translate live is "I Don't Want to Miss One Thing" or whatever it is.   The rest rock just enough live to make them not totally suck.

Plus, I think there are a handful of things you just have to see live once, to say you did, and Steven singing "Back In The Saddle" is one of them.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 01:20:35 PM »
I've only seen Aerosmith once, and that was their opener, "Back in the Saddle".  It totally smoked.  Great show.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 04:10:58 PM »
I have only been a casual fan over the years but I did something I've only done for one other band and saw them a second time in a different city on their last time in Australia.  At the first gig (festival) they did something I have trouble admitting - blew my favourite band (Van Halen) off the stage.  Tyler was amazing.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 07:20:35 PM »

3 SOS/Walkin the Dog

Kings And Queens is my favorite.   Seasons Of Wither is up there as well
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 09:27:36 PM »
Certainly would have liked to have seen them after their comeback (did enjoy 'Permanent Vacation, Pump, and Get A Grip).  Lost interest with 'Draw The Line' and have never listened to 'Right in the Nuts', er...'Night in the Ruts'.  I did see Joe Perry as a warm up way back for Rush.  Showing my age a bit, saw the band as one of two warm up bands (Queen being the other).
A mostly chronological best of, all 70s (save one). 

Same Old Song and Dance / Mama Kin / Dream On / Walking The Dog / SOS (Too Bad) / Train Kept A Rollin (with 40 seconds of 'Wither') / Toys In The Attic / Walk This Way / Sweet Emotion / Round and Round / You See Me Crying                   

Back In The Saddle / Last Child / Draw The Line / Get It Up / Let The Music Do The Talking (plus the JPProject fadeout) / Sick As A Dog / Nobody's Fault / Home Tonight

Old style, my favorite album side is Side Two of 'Rocks'
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 10:55:39 PM »
Certainly would have liked to have seen them after their comeback (did enjoy 'Permanent Vacation, Pump, and Get A Grip).  Lost interest with 'Draw The Line' and have never listened to 'Right in the Nuts', er...'Night in the Ruts'.  I did see Joe Perry as a warm up way back for Rush.  Showing my age a bit, saw the band as one of two warm up bands (Queen being the other).

Same Old Song and Dance / Mama Kin / Dream On / Walking The Dog / SOS (Too Bad) / Train Kept A Rollin (with 40 seconds of 'Wither') / Toys In The Attic / Walk This Way / Sweet Emotion / Round and Round / You See Me Crying                   

Back In The Saddle / Last Child / Draw The Line / Get It Up / Let The Music Do The Talking (plus the JPProject fadeout) / Sick As A Dog / Nobody's Fault / Home Tonight

Those are some great songs!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 12:24:21 PM »

If you're even remotely a fan of the band, you have to listen to NITR.  It's not "Draw The Line, Part II" in any way.  It rocks harder, and despite the band chaos, is probably a shade more cohesive than DTL. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 12:31:28 PM »
Night In The Ruts is AMAZING!! I have no idea why it catches the grief it does.

That solo in Think About It!  :metal :hefdaddy
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 12:48:46 PM »
I'm a casual fan of Aerosmith. I loved Pump, Get A Grip, and Nine Lives when i was a little kid and a few years ago I looked into their older stuff. There are a lot of really great gems. I haven't checked out anything more recent than Nine Lives.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 12:51:07 PM »
I'm sure I will get a whole host of different answers, but what are some good deep cuts to check out from the 70s albums aside from Toys in the Attic? 

Note: I am not that big of an Aerosmith fan to where I will buy all of the albums, but adding a handful or so of deep cuts that I can buy from amazon or iTunes would add to my collection nicely. :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 01:01:17 PM »
Think About It
SOS (Too Bad)
Combination
Sick As A Dog
One Way Street

There's 5!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »
I'm sure I will get a whole host of different answers, but what are some good deep cuts to check out from the 70s albums aside from Toys in the Attic? 
I suppose you referred to 'Toys In The Attic' the album, right?

My recommendations would be:
-"Make It" (first song on first album)
-"Lord Of The Thighs" (the piano and overall mood reminds me of "Darkness" from 1985)
-"Sick As A Dog" (as TAC also already said; a nice poppier song by Tom)
-"Home Tonight" (a cool, heavier 'You See Me Crying' or 'What It Takes', which -based on your first post in this thread- I think you might like)
-"Draw The Line"

I'd also recommend you check out the album Done With Mirrors from 1985 - their 'reunion' album. All songs were written by the band members only, and the sound is reminiscent of their '70s albums (it doesn't feature any horn arrangements or extra musicians like the other Geffen-era albums). Some cool songs there - "The Reason A Dog", "The Hop", "Let The Music Do The Talking".
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 03:40:33 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 03:42:26 PM »
Are you thinking of albums or songs when you say deep cuts? As far as albums go, Draw the line is a deep cut, often neglected as not a great follow-up to very popular Toys in the attic and Rocks. But I think it's tremendous, slightly more experimental yet equally melodic and rockin'.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 03:47:22 PM »

I'd also recommend you check out the album Done With Mirrors from 1985 - their 'reunion' album. All songs were written by the band members only, and the sound is reminiscent of their '70s albums (it doesn't feature any horn arrangements or extra musicians like the other Geffen-era albums). Some cool songs there - "The Reason A Dog", "The Hop", "Let The Music Do The Talking".

Hell yes! This is a great and underrated album!

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 03:40:03 AM »

Hell yes! This is a great and underrated album!

No, it isn't  :biggrin:

Let The Music Do The Talking is an alright song but it was a Joe Perry solo song before. The rest is more or less mediocre. Some things seem unfinished, maybe with a little bit more work and effort those songs could have been better. The sound is raw but not in a good way (it's just a shit production) and the record completely lacks any kind of energy.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 08:55:11 AM »
Deep cuts?  My list is a somewhat fair rep.

Then again, it doesn't include 'Big Ten Inch'.  Now, that's deep. ;)

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 09:43:37 AM »
Since "Toys In The Attic" is a SONG, too (and covered by REM as a b-side), I'll assume Kev knew what he was asking.  I would offer the following (some of which have been mentioned here already):

Movin' Out
Woman of the World
Spaced
Seasons of Wither
Uncle Salty
Adam's Apple
No More No More
Round and Round
Combination
Nobody's Fault
Sight For Sore Eyes
Chiquita
Bone To Bone
Think About It
Chip Away The Stone (perhaps not a "deep track")

Looking back, I have to say, "Toys In The Attic" as an album is about as solid from top to bottom as any big-name rock band has ever put out in my humble opinion.  I know it's my "taste", but I love every single song on that record.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »
Toys In The Attic (the album) is indeed a great classic rock record with (as Stadler already mentioned) every song being great and some of them really really great. No week spot on that record. My favorite would probably be Sweet Emotion.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 10:21:13 AM »
I haven't checked out anything more recent than Nine Lives.
Good call!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 10:34:55 AM »
I'm a casual fan of Aerosmith. I loved Pump, Get A Grip, and Nine Lives when i was a little kid and a few years ago I looked into their older stuff. There are a lot of really great gems. I haven't checked out anything more recent than Nine Lives.

Just Push Play has some nice songs in it (besides the singles) - some of which feel like futuristic pop. My favourites are the "Trip Hoppin'", "Under My Skin" and "Just Push Play" (with a cool reference to "Walk This Way").

I haven't checked their latest album, though.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
And it has Beyond Beautiful which, for me, is one of their best songs despite (or because of) the Led Zep influence.  :metal

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »
And it has Beyond Beautiful which, for me, is one of their best songs despite (or because of) the Led Zep influence.  :metal
Any specific Zeppelin song?
Because I just realized that the pre-chorus "Under My Skin" is basically "Kashmir".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »

Just Push Play has some nice songs in it (besides the singles) - some of which feel like futuristic pop. My favourites are the "Trip Hoppin'", "Under My Skin" and "Just Push Play" (with a cool reference to "Walk This Way").

I haven't checked their latest album, though.

That's a weird album in the context of the band (I know Joe Perry does not like it at all) but the lyrics are kind of good, in an odd way. Sometimes Stephen lapses into cliché too easily (they've kind of over done the "Put your key in the wrong. Key. Hole!" thing) but there's some interesting work on that album.  It's better than it gets credit for.