Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 440066 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7735 on: March 19, 2021, 08:49:32 AM »
One of the buddies of mine who I’ve spoke of quite a bit......big Trump guy......told me and two of my other buddies that we are going to die very young as the vaccine is just a way for ‘them’ to start to control the population by killing us off.

This is a college educated person who is very intelligent, very good job.....good family man.....someone who in any given moment t is a well reasoned person, who whole heartedly believes what he just told us in a group chat.

That's amazing.

That's amazingly sad. You've got to actively want to believe something as far fetched as that. It makes me curious about what he's lacking in his life that he would want to believe in such a paranoid/improbable view of the world.

Gregg it's baffling. He has a fantastic six figure job.....four beautiful daughters and a wonderful wife. I've known the guy since we were in 5th grade....he's a close friend. But for whatever reason he drank the trump kool aid big time. As I mentioned, he's a reasoned and thought out individual......which is what makes this so weird. He really went 'all in' on trump and is certainly one of the extreme members of his supporters now. I just don't get it.

But this goes well beyond Trumpism, Gary. Trump himself has had the vaccine and is taking as much credit as he can for any success associated with the roll out. He's even encouraged people to get vaccinated recently. If your friend truly is all in on the kool-aid, he'd be jumping at the opportunity to get the vaccine because his dear leader said too. I'm thinking your friend has something else going on in his life that makes him feel good supporting such nonsense.

Could be? I know him well and we have pretty honest conversations but who's to say what he is or isn't telling me?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7736 on: March 19, 2021, 09:17:56 AM »
Belief is a hell of a drug...

I've said it before. It comes down to ones personal beliefs.

Doesn't matter if you are intelligent or a dumb. Both can believe the same things.

Basically, have you guys asked those intelligent people you know, why they believe it, to get their perspective? Or did you just think them a looney and are questioning their personal beliefs because you can't understand why they believe It? The only way to know and understand is to ask why...Why does the person so wholeheartedly believe what they believe?

Each person's individual beliefs shape their perception of Life on this world, and experiences of life can shape a person's belief. Near Death Experiences are big ones that can tremendously shift a person's belief, either into believing something else entirely or being more submissive to their belief.

One of the buddies of mine who I’ve spoke of quite a bit......big Trump guy......told me and two of my other buddies that we are going to die very young as the vaccine is just a way for ‘them’ to start to control the population by killing us off.

This is a college educated person who is very intelligent, very good job.....good family man.....someone who in any given moment t is a well reasoned person, who whole heartedly believes what he just told us in a group chat.

That's amazing.

That's amazingly sad. You've got to actively want to believe something as far fetched as that. It makes me curious about what he's lacking in his life that he would want to believe in such a paranoid/improbable view of the world.

Gregg it's baffling. He has a fantastic six figure job.....four beautiful daughters and a wonderful wife. I've known the guy since we were in 5th grade....he's a close friend. But for whatever reason he drank the trump kool aid big time. As I mentioned, he's a reasoned and thought out individual......which is what makes this so weird. He really went 'all in' on trump and is certainly one of the extreme members of his supporters now. I just don't get it.

But this goes well beyond Trumpism, Gary. Trump himself has had the vaccine and is taking as much credit as he can for any success associated with the roll out. He's even encouraged people to get vaccinated recently. If your friend truly is all in on the kool-aid, he'd be jumping at the opportunity to get the vaccine because his dear leader said too. I'm thinking your friend has something else going on in his life that makes him feel good supporting such nonsense.

Could be? I know him well and we have pretty honest conversations but who's to say what he is or isn't telling me?

And that right there is TRUST. Do you trust him to be telling you the truth about himself and what he thinks?

How much do we trust each other?....I can tell you it's pretty darn low...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:27:58 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7737 on: March 19, 2021, 09:27:00 AM »

That's amazing.

People want to belong. And each belief system is a system of belonging and Faith. People that don't have this tend to fall victim easily to manipulation.

Cults take advantage of these people and make them do things, because they're exposing their weakness of belief and mind.

QAnon did just that to the people who's trust and belief in government is at an all time low. They need something to assure they'll be safe, so they fall victim to those that spew this stuff.

Scientology is another great example.

Some religions, some people think are cults. The Spaniards, holding their beliefs as truthful and the "Right, correct" way, viewed many people as Pagans and heretics. And actually went to the lengths to force people into their belief system.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7738 on: March 19, 2021, 10:35:01 AM »
I think many conservatives liked Trump for saying what's on his mind when in fact that is a death kneel for politicians.  when you are a child you don't know better to say those things.  As an adult, you should learn what's appropriate to see and what you shouldn't say.

I agree with this; I think it was less about Trump and what he was saying than it was "a license to ill".  I think it's hard for a lot of people to take a position and stand firm with it in the face of opposition.  We like it when others share our views; it's reinforcing.  It doesnt' have to be substantively the same, but I imagine there are people who feel empowered to stick to their guns in the face of contrary information (and that's not exclusive to either side of the aisle).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7739 on: March 19, 2021, 10:37:05 AM »
I got my first shot this morning.   

I'm psyched (though every itch, pain, spasm, or sneeze triggers an immediate wave of panic).

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #7740 on: March 19, 2021, 10:46:49 AM »

That's amazing.

People want to belong. And each belief system is a system of belonging and Faith. People that don't have this tend to fall victim easily to manipulation.

Cults take advantage of these people and make them do things, because they're exposing their weakness of belief and mind.

QAnon did just that to the people who's trust and belief in government is at an all time low. They need something to assure they'll be safe, so they fall victim to those that spew this stuff.

Some religions, some people think are cults. The Spaniards, holding their beliefs as truthful and the "Right, correct" way, viewed many people as Pagans and heretics. And actually went to the lengths to force people into their belief system.

Faith and Belief are not virtues and belief without reason are both dangerous and quite frankly - ridiculous. Keeping this to the topic at hand, people believe things about the virus that have no basis in fact but we already know this. They have inserted themselves as experts when they have no expertise in the subject but they feel justified because - well they believe. That's dangerous!

I will continue in the P/R section but I will leave this with  - ALL religions are cults and the religion of trump is the most dangerous of our lifetime.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7741 on: March 19, 2021, 10:57:40 AM »
CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said earlier this week that her agency was reconsidering its stance as more data became available.

“CDC is committed to leading with science and updating our guidance as new evidence emerges,” she said in a statement Friday. “These updated recommendations provide the evidence-based roadmap to help schools reopen safely, and remain open, for in-person instruction.”

President Biden has called on schools to fully reopen, and the revised guidelines put the CDC more clearly in line with the White House. Until now, the CDC was encouraging schools to remain partially shut at the same time Biden was encouraging them to fully open.

Biden pushes full-time school, but districts are cautious after CDC weighs in

But the change is sharply opposed by the country’s two large teachers’ unions, which argue that there is scant research about the impact of closer contact in urban schools, where buildings are older and classrooms more crowded.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/cdc-schools-three-feet-distance/2021/03/19/62689464-88bc-11eb-82bc-e58213caa38e_story.html?fbclid=IwAR0QYoC1VmrK7PqXznpB33SPJG_fVmOTFmVB0tPKeZ-VFAuxqAaAmc-fUeQ

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7742 on: March 19, 2021, 11:23:16 AM »

That's amazing.

Faith and Belief are not virtues and belief without reason are both dangerous and quite frankly - ridiculous. Keeping this to the topic at hand, people believe things about the virus that have no basis in fact but we already know this. They have inserted themselves as experts when they have no expertise in the subject but they feel justified because - well they believe. That's dangerous!

I will continue in the P/R section but I will leave this with  - ALL religions are cults and the religion of trump is the most dangerous of our lifetime.

See, here's the thing. What happens when that belief ends up being proven as fact? That is Science in a nutshell.

People have Faith in Science, but also they don't have to believe it. Just like people have faith in the new dream theater album being good, doesn't mean they believe it will be. Upon release, it's proven to be either true to your faith and belief it will be good, or totally prove your belief and faith wrong. Yet, you still hold faith for the new album and the tour being good, and maybe the songs being played live will convert you to believe the album is actually good.

Also, how do you become an expert? Sometimes, the expert doesn't know everything either. They aren't perfect as well. Which is why you have to have faith that the expert is telling you the truth as well. And when that faith is tested many times, and shown to be deceitful, it's kind of hard to trust the expert. Especially when they flip-flop.

For me, I don't consider no one an expert at anything. They are more well-versed and well-informed of what they do. And sometimes, people come in and say something to that expert which makes that expert look stupid, because they never bothered to think of it, and therefore it changes their perspective. These things can happen the more time goes on.

And also...This forum is a cult. Fandom is a cult. Everything in this world can be a cult.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #7743 on: March 19, 2021, 11:32:56 AM »

That's amazing.

See, here's the thing. What happens when that belief ends up being proven as fact? That is Science in a nutshell.

People have Faith in Science, but also they don't have to believe it. Just like people have faith in the new dream theater album being good, doesn't mean they believe it will be. Upon release, it's proven to be either true to your faith and belief it will be good, or totally prove your belief and faith wrong. Yet, you still hold faith for the new album and the tour being good, and maybe the songs being played live will convert you to believe the album is actually good.

Also, how do you become an expert? Sometimes, the expert doesn't know everything either. They aren't perfect as well. Which is why you have to have faith that the expert is telling you the truth as well. And when that faith is tested many times, and shown to be deceitful, it's kind of hard to trust the expert. Especially when they flip-flop.

For me, I don't consider no one an expert at anything. They are more well-versed and well-informed of what they do. And sometimes, people come in and say something to that expert which makes that expert look stupid, because they never bothered to think of it, and therefore it changes their perspective. These things can happen the more time goes on.

And also...This forum is a cult. Fandom is a cult. Everything in this world can be a cult.

I will respond to this in the appropriate forum.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7744 on: March 19, 2021, 11:46:41 AM »
I think many conservatives liked Trump for saying what's on his mind when in fact that is a death kneel for politicians.  when you are a child you don't know better to say those things.  As an adult, you should learn what's appropriate to see and what you shouldn't say.

I agree with this; I think it was less about Trump and what he was saying than it was "a license to ill". 
Some people might be surprised that so many conservatives are Beastie Boys fans, but I happen to know that bosky has been know to ride across the land, kickin' up sand, Sheriff's posse on his tail 'cause he's in demand.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7745 on: March 19, 2021, 11:53:27 AM »

I agree with this; I think it was less about Trump and what he was saying than it was "a license to ill". 
Some people might be surprised that so many conservatives are Beastie Boys fans, but I happen to know that bosky has been know to ride across the land, kickin' up sand, Sheriff's posse on his tail 'cause he's in demand.

You know I would pay money to see him rap this.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #7746 on: March 19, 2021, 01:21:24 PM »

That's amazing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7747 on: March 19, 2021, 01:22:51 PM »
I got my first shot this morning.   

I'm psyched (though every itch, pain, spasm, or sneeze triggers an immediate wave of panic).

Nice!  I'm getting mine in just over a week  :corn

Offline emtee

« Reply #7748 on: March 19, 2021, 02:09:46 PM »
The wife got J&J last night. Very mild side effects and she is fine today. We are both vaccinated now!

Bummed to see the headlines though. Cases up in several states. Warnings of another surge with a variant strain. Ugghh! Seems like we just can't turn the corner all the way.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #7749 on: March 20, 2021, 09:32:06 AM »

That's amazing.

Responded in the P/R section.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #7750 on: March 20, 2021, 01:56:45 PM »
Just got the single-dose J&J shot this morning. :metal Not feeling any side effects yet.

My dad called one of the big Boston medical centers on Thursday to see if he could schedule an appointment for himself since individuals 60 and older become eligible on Monday. To our surprise, they said they had a surplus of doses so not only could they immediately schedule him, but he was able to schedule me and my sister as well, and we're not supposed to be eligible until April 19th! Quite the unexpected but awesome surprise.

An interesting thing I heard from the nurse right before getting the shot was that while the J&J vaccine is a bit less effective from a percentage standpoint, trials have shown it to be effective against all four variants of Covid currently out and about, while the other two vaccines only seem to be effective against two.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #7751 on: March 20, 2021, 03:16:37 PM »
That might not be accurate as the trials for J&J were done later, when the variants were more prevalent.  The trials for the first two were done prior to that.  Not saying the nurse was wrong, just that the trials were done at different times and that might have skew the results.  Pfizer and Moderna are now testing a third booster tailored to the new variants.
Just my understanding of it...I could be very wrong.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 04:12:26 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7752 on: March 20, 2021, 04:12:42 PM »
From what I've read the 2 shot vaccine is 95% effective and the J&J single shot is 70%.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7753 on: March 20, 2021, 05:29:31 PM »
From my understanding all of the US approved vaccines offer "some" protection against the current variants.  And that "some" is likely good enough for now.  I've only read the Astazeneca was not effective against the South African variant.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7754 on: March 21, 2021, 05:25:22 AM »
From what I've read the 2 shot vaccine is 95% effective and the J&J single shot is 70%.

That's accurate.  However, it is also worth noting that during the trials there were ZERO deaths among the group of J&J participants who DID NOT receive a placebo.  Nor were there any hospitalizations.  Meaning, the J&J vaccine was 100% effective (in the trials) at preventing serious illness and death from covid-19 infection.  To be clear, some folks who had the J&J vaccine still got sick, but they all survived it, which is the point.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7755 on: March 21, 2021, 05:34:38 AM »

https://youtu.be/K3odScka55A

This video gives a basic overview of what the efficacy rates mean.
Essentially it's hard to compare the numbers against each other because they refer to the rates of their own clinical trials.

They are all good and any one of them is better than getting none.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7756 on: March 21, 2021, 06:01:17 AM »
I already had the first shot. It was from Moderna. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7757 on: March 21, 2021, 12:18:05 PM »
They are all good and any one of them is better than getting none.

Yup and I will include astrazeneca that i've even spoken poorly about.  The more I've learned, it doesn't seem the blood clots are a big concern (seems more likely not related to the vaccine than is related) and even if it's not very effective against mutations, still better than nothing.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7758 on: March 21, 2021, 01:26:39 PM »

No worries. I just had my 1st Pfizer shot today.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7759 on: March 21, 2021, 05:00:16 PM »
Miami Beach looks like an absolute shit-show.  It's like people think the end is in sight, so let's go back to normal!!   >:(

BTW, it ain't terribly different up here either - just not beach weather.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7760 on: March 22, 2021, 06:45:22 AM »

No worries. I just had my 1st Pfizer shot today.

Sorry if I came off as upset.  I wasn't t all. Just stating I had my 1st shot. 

Dad gets his 2nd shot this Saturday.  We are having him stay over Saturday night to be their incase he is weak and sick from the shot.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7761 on: March 22, 2021, 07:08:55 AM »
I got mine Friday; Saturday and Sunday the arm hurt pretty bad.  I worked outside (I was burning brush and stuff) and found myself very tired on Saturday night; I slept through a sick dog and my wife up most of the night.  Sunday was worse; I wasn't "sick", but I wasn't myself.  I had a little nausea, and felt a little achy, but honestly I couldn't tell you if it was the shot or the work on Saturday.  Today, so far, I feel fine, and the arm is better.   

My daughter got hers on Friday and apparently Saturday she was pretty ill; chills, body aches, nausea.  She had COVID, so there's that, but at least it went away fairly quickly (couple hours).   We're both sort of sweating the second shot, though.

My parents go today.  To say I'm worried is an understatement; I don't know how they're going to cope with any significant side effects.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7762 on: March 22, 2021, 07:10:36 AM »
I got mine Friday; Saturday and Sunday the arm hurt pretty bad.  I worked outside (I was burning brush and stuff) and found myself very tired on Saturday night; I slept through a sick dog and my wife up most of the night.  Sunday was worse; I wasn't "sick", but I wasn't myself.  I had a little nausea, and felt a little achy, but honestly I couldn't tell you if it was the shot or the work on Saturday.  Today, so far, I feel fine, and the arm is better.   

My daughter got hers on Friday and apparently Saturday she was pretty ill; chills, body aches, nausea.  She had COVID, so there's that, but at least it went away fairly quickly (couple hours).   We're both sort of sweating the second shot, though.

My parents go today.  To say I'm worried is an understatement; I don't know how they're going to cope with any significant side effects.

My parents will be getting their no.2 on the same day. I'm going to take that day off from work. I want to be at their house just in case one of them gets bad.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7763 on: March 22, 2021, 07:20:54 AM »
Miami Beach looks like an absolute shit-show.  It's like people think the end is in sight, so let's go back to normal!!   >:(

Yeah, it looks pretty bad. I feel like we have the end in sight, but now there's talk of another wave that has me worrying.

I was trying to find a video I saw yesterday on the news. They interviewed some woman as to why she was there and her response was "I need to be drunk, I wanna be lit". Now, I'm not saying for people to stay home all the time until this is over (that's what I'm trying to do as much as I can, but I don't expect others to do the same), but if that's your reason for endangering yourself and who knows how many other people, then your priorities are in the wrong place.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7764 on: March 22, 2021, 07:43:26 AM »

I read something recently that said people while people typically have worse reactions to the second shot, if you have bad reactions to the first it might be a sign you already had covid. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7765 on: March 22, 2021, 09:35:34 AM »

Yeah, it looks pretty bad. I feel like we have the end in sight, but now there's talk of another wave that has me worrying.

I was trying to find a video I saw yesterday on the news. They interviewed some woman as to why she was there and her response was "I need to be drunk, I wanna be lit". Now, I'm not saying for people to stay home all the time until this is over (that's what I'm trying to do as much as I can, but I don't expect others to do the same), but if that's your reason for endangering yourself and who knows how many other people, then your priorities are in the wrong place.

With how Society is in these modern times. That response does not surprise me at all. Although, it is the news, and they like to find the dumbest person there or the most dingy, so they can get their headline piece or to scare people with...See, this person doesn't care, and in turn you expect that all those people there are exactly like this person and their response. Making you become fearful of Florida...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7766 on: March 22, 2021, 02:56:07 PM »

I'm bosk1 and I get respect.  Your cash and your jewelry is what I expect.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7767 on: March 22, 2021, 02:59:57 PM »

I'm not gonna be that diplomatic about it.  People saying they're out there, in big crowds, maskless, during the middle of a pandemic wherein a communicable disease is killing 1000+ people per day, every day.  "Because I've got to be drunk, man, I have to party dude!"

They're fucking assholes, plain and simple. Selfish assholes. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7768 on: March 22, 2021, 04:12:33 PM »
Barry, young, dumb an they think they are invisible. 

Offline JLa

« Reply #7769 on: March 23, 2021, 03:58:05 AM »
I'm so envious of you guys getting your vaccine shots. Vaccination here in Norway is horribly slow already, and now we've paused the Astrazeneca altogether due to the blood clot issue. It's really weird how we've seen so many (or, "many", I think it's 3 deaths and about 5 patients after 130 000 shots) cases when the rest of the world have seen very few. I would still take it if I got the chance, but it'll probably be scrapped now.

I think I'm on schedule for getting vaccinated in May or something. Just gotta stay home a little longer ...