Author Topic: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025  (Read 26082 times)

Buddyhunter1, neseblod (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Out of more than 600millions monthly users, 230millions are Premiums.
Spotify makes 13.2 billions out of the 28 of the global music sales.
It's not profitable because record companies are still those who make the most out of all of this.

Good point. I remember a little while back Snoop Dogg was talking about how much he got for 1 billion streams of a song, it was some crazy low amount. What he failed to disclose is that the song had 18 different writers and sample credits and that the gross amount the song made was much higher.

I'm not defending Spotify at all but whether it's a record deal or streaming there are many avenues taken to grab more pieces of the artist pie, and of course some is to blame on the artists signing a bad deal.

Offline Setlist Scotty

On a related note, in all those discussions about how different singers preserving or losing their voices, it would be really informative to compare their touring schedules. From my perspective, based on my - admittedly very limited - personal experience, full gas singing 5-6 days a week is just too much, something you can partially recover from when younger, but not really when age hits you. IMO, spacing of the shows is an elephant in the room as it is rarely brought up when talking about singers' performance decline, but I suspect it is one of the major factors. But more data would be needed to confirm (or refute) this claim.
You can certainly look at Rush as a reference. I don't remember exactly what tour it was, but there was a point where they stopped doing shows on consecutive days just to make sure Geddy had time to rest his voice. And even then, while on tour, I recall him saying that at least on show days he kept his speaking to a bare minimum, once again to preserve his voice. Now obviously DT doesn't have the draw that Rush does - at least in North America - so that's a factor, as is the increase in expenses post-pandemic, which Rush never had to deal with. So I'm sure that if it were up to them, they'd space the shows out more for James' sake, but it's quite possible that's just not financially feasible.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline emtee

I spun D/T and ADToE this weekend, paying really close attention to the drums. It's going to be interesting to hear MP's rendition of some of these songs. Gotta believe The Alien will be in the setlist. This is a tough song to play. MP will certainly handle it just fine but it may have his spin on it in some places.