Author Topic: Practice Drum Kits  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
Practice Drum Kits
« on: January 29, 2010, 12:20:47 AM »
where do i find one?

im so depressed not being able to drum, and dont have the money for an electric kit.

halp?

Offline LTE

Re: Practice Drum Kits
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 07:22:34 AM »
Get some pringles cans, and cut them to different lengths for toms. Snare could be like a thick paper, which makes a nice "snap" when hit with sticks. Bass is just your foot on a mat or something.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 09:17:54 PM »
Get some pringles cans, and cut them to different lengths for toms. Snare could be like a thick paper, which makes a nice "snap" when hit with sticks. Bass is just your foot on a mat or something.

:rollin You asshole  :P
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 02:24:32 AM »
Rock Band. 

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 07:16:25 PM »
k lets start with moar srs answers now. k?

i only really need something for my feet. so i can continue with my pedals. cause practicing with out pedals, to me, doesnt seem to do much. other then that ill just buy a practice pad to put on an old stand

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 07:51:07 PM »
I actually wasn't kidding with Rock Band.  The only drawbacks are the lack of a second bass pedal, and a pedal for the hi-hat.  Other than that, you'll be exposed to drum beats from a variety of styles, developing hand-foot coordination, tempo, etc. 

Rock Band is actually how I learned how to play drums.  I couldn't play AT ALL on drums, then after playing Rock Band, I was able to play drums decently.  I was at a jam with guys who played as a hobby, including some amateur drummers, and they kept asking me to do drums since I could play more complicated beats. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 08:21:57 AM »
^This is true.  I was there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 10:28:54 AM »
You know the Rock Band thing is true. My roommate has rock band and well I spent a lot of time playing the drums. I wish hanging out with my buddies band playing guitar (I've been playing guitar for years now) and I sat down behind the kit to see if I could do something decent and well I was surprised at how well I played.

So in the end Rock Band is pretty decent.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 10:31:19 AM »
You know the Rock Band thing is true. My roommate has rock band and well I spent a lot of time playing the drums. I wish hanging out with my buddies band playing guitar (I've been playing guitar for years now) and I sat down behind the kit to see if I could do something decent and well I was surprised at how well I played.

So in the end Rock Band is pretty decent.

It's nowhere near the real deal, but it certainly helps with basic motions and foot and hand separation.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 10:58:29 AM »
Absolutely.  As FW mentioned, prior to that jam session, he had never played actual drums.  When we were rehearsing a few songs the day before, he got onto my drum kit to experiment with it a bit.  This was the first time he had ever gotten behind a real drum kit in his life.  He kind of experimented around for somewhere between 5 and 15 minutes just to get a feel for where everything was and what the differences in sound and feel were from Rock Band.  Then he just took off and sounded like he had literally been playing for years.  That game definitely taught him the basic skills and then some.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 12:36:40 PM »
Absolutely.  As FW mentioned, prior to that jam session, he had never played actual drums.  When we were rehearsing a few songs the day before, he got onto my drum kit to experiment with it a bit.  This was the first time he had ever gotten behind a real drum kit in his life.  He kind of experimented around for somewhere between 5 and 15 minutes just to get a feel for where everything was and what the differences in sound and feel were from Rock Band.  Then he just took off and sounded like he had literally been playing for years.  That game definitely taught him the basic skills and then some.

Ah, video games. they never cease to amaze.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 09:18:16 PM »

I had sat behind a real kit before, but I had no knowledge of what to hit, and so I was literally just banging things.  I think the most complicated thing I did was alternate between the bass and snare!

Gran Turismo 3 also taught me how to drive!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 09:59:15 PM »

I had sat behind a real kit before, but I had no knowledge of what to hit, and so I was literally just banging things.  I think the most complicated thing I did was alternate between the bass and snare!

Oh, okay.  But still, I think my point still stands.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »

Gran Turismo 3 also taught me how to drive!

I gotta say, before getting into the GTA series I was only kinda good at killing hookers but boy should you see me now.  :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon