Author Topic: The Story Behind Your Username  (Read 32261 times)

Offline LTE

Re: The Story Behind Your Username
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »
Mine is the way the locals would pronounce the last name of Boston's first baseman at the time I joined the forums.  It's also how people would sometimes pronounce my surname, despite the spelling difference.
hey my last name is miller too!
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
I actually have no idea where I got this username, but I am 100% sure that I've been using it since before the Pokemon, Arceus.

It's probably Latin or something I discovered whilst sniffing glue.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
I always love these threads...

:lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
Zook is my main cartoon character I created in 4th grade. Been using this screen name for ages. Zook is also the darkness within me. :neverusethis:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2010, 01:52:05 PM »
Created the antigoon handle in middle school for counter-strike I think. One of my friends called me the "anti-goon" because I was really short and skinny.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2010, 01:52:36 PM »
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2010, 01:52:53 PM »

Zz-eye-ann-el.

Like "Zion" from The Matrix, with a vowel replaced.

Do you see it Nick?!

TELL JEFF. GO. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2010, 02:28:31 PM »
Created the antigoon handle in middle school for counter-strike I think. One of my friends called me the "anti-goon" because I was really short and skinny.

Kinda similar to mine.  My friend Dave (no, TAC, not Meniketti) sort of came up with the initial iteration back in high school.  We both were into arcade games.  The more stuff you had to shoot/blow up/etc., the better the game.  Dave observed that the name of one space shoot-em-up game, Boskonians, was kinda neat, and that you could kinda play around with it.  So taking BOSKONE, you could kinda break up the letters to get 13051 < ONE.  ("13" = "B"; "5" = "S"; "1<" = "K")  Mathematically, this is not true because 13051 is not less than one.  BUT, you can kind of flip it on its head metaphysically.  The idea was basically along the lines of the romantic ideal that one who has known love is greater than the untold masses who have not.  Thus, 13,051 representing the masses who have never known love are < the one who has.  13051<ONE is thus a paradox, and "BOSKONE" thus becomes the "cool secret password" for a couple of high school boys with nothing better to do than come up with such things. 

It's just one of those things that stuck through the years, and I began using shortened versions of it.  Way back when common use of the Internet and email and such was still relatively new, I had to choose a username for my AOL account.  Usernames had to be lowercase and had to have some numbers as well as letters.  The obvious choice was the shortened form, "bosk1."  I've used it in that form ever since.  So both the lack of capitalization and the 1 at the end are officially part of the name, and the one isn't on there just because I knew everyone would want "bosk" as their username and put the 1 on just to show I was first.   :biggrin:

Anyway, as I said, kinda dorky, but there you have it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »
My user name has a double meaning.  I joined the forum shortly after the release of SC, so I was listening to it a lot!  I also use my name to describe to human condition from my point of view.  The alt-caps effect is meant to represent the rollercoaster of life.  I guess it could've been Systematic Motion, but CC just seems to work better.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2010, 02:36:03 PM »
Zelda Bomber

Zelda the video game, and the Bombers were a group in Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. I made it when I joined a Zelda message board back in 2000, and it just kind of stuck. I like it.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2010, 02:59:31 PM »

Kinda similar to mine.  My friend Dave (no, TAC, not Meniketti) sort of came up with the initial iteration back in high school.  We both were into arcade games.  The more stuff you had to shoot/blow up/etc., the better the game.  Dave observed that the name of one space shoot-em-up game, Boskonians, was kinda neat, and that you could kinda play around with it.  So taking BOSKONE, you could kinda break up the letters to get 13051 < ONE.  ("13" = "B"; "5" = "S"; "1<" = "K")  Mathematically, this is not true because 13051 is not less than one.  BUT, you can kind of flip it on its head metaphysically.  The idea was basically along the lines of the romantic ideal that one who has known love is greater than the untold masses who have not.  Thus, 13,051 representing the masses who have never known love are < the one who has.  13051<ONE is thus a paradox, and "BOSKONE" thus becomes the "cool secret password" for a couple of high school boys with nothing better to do than come up with such things. 

It's just one of those things that stuck through the years, and I began using shortened versions of it.  Way back when common use of the Internet and email and such was still relatively new, I had to choose a username for my AOL account.  Usernames had to be lowercase and had to have some numbers as well as letters.  The obvious choice was the shortened form, "bosk1."  I've used it in that form ever since.  So both the lack of capitalization and the 1 at the end are officially part of the name, and the one isn't on there just because I knew everyone would want "bosk" as their username and put the 1 on just to show I was first.   :biggrin:

Holy shit.  :lol

Anyway, mine should be pretty self-explanatory.

Offline SilentFox

« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2010, 03:32:51 PM »

Where does the umlaut over the "o" come from?

Basically, the story behind my username is that I stole it from a friend in middle school because I thought it was cool and have used it ever since.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2010, 03:49:01 PM »
Ulauts make everything more metal.  Ask Queensryche and Motley Crue.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2010, 04:14:59 PM »

Don't forget Spinal Tap!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2010, 04:17:03 PM »
Ulauts make everything more metal.  Ask Queensryche and Motley Crue.

Don't forget Spinal Tap!
Ulauts make everything more metal.  Ask Queensryche and Motley Crue.
:facepalm: On you all

Motörhead

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2010, 04:21:57 PM »
Drëäm Thëätër

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »

Don't forget Spinal Tap!

Motörhead

Of course.  I was only giving examples, not an exhaustive list.  I figured if I invoked the name of the mighty Motorhead, the more delicate members of the forum might have a panic attack.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2010, 04:25:02 PM »
Drëäm Thëätër
For some reason that just makes it weird-looking, not more  :metal  :lol

Don't forget Spinal Tap!

Motörhead

Of course.  I was only giving examples, not an exhaustive list.  I figured if I invoked the name of the mighty Motorhead, the more delicate members of the forum might have a panic attack.
Ah, I see

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »
ALL WOUND UP
ON THE EDGE
MOTÖRHEAD

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2010, 04:44:32 PM »
Longtime DTF folks have heard this story at least twice now, but what the hell.

A telemarketer talked me into three years of Stereo Review magazine, but he managed to swap the first two letters of my name when he typed in the information, so I got three years of magazines addressed to Orbert instead of Robert.  Orbert is the name I always use on forums or other online stuff.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2010, 04:46:33 PM »

A telemarketer talked me into three years of Stereo Review magazine, but he managed to swap the first two letters of my name when he typed in the information, so I got three years of magazines addressed to Orbert instead of Robert.  Orbert is the name I always use on forums or other online stuff.

Orbert = way more  :metal

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »
ALL WOUND UP
ON THE EDGE
MOTÖRHEAD

SLEEP DISTURBED
RESTLESS MIND
KILLING TIME
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:58:51 PM by BirchBoy »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2010, 04:56:45 PM »

A telemarketer talked me into three years of Stereo Review magazine, but he managed to swap the first two letters of my name when he typed in the information, so I got three years of magazines addressed to Orbert instead of Robert.  Orbert is the name I always use on forums or other online stuff.

Orbert = way more  :metal

Thanks.  I think of jazz rather than metal, since there's a jazz trumpeter from Chicago named Orbert Davis and I live in Chicago (the burbs actually).  But metal is cool, too.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2010, 05:19:14 PM »
My girlfriend is really good mates with the guitarist from Motorhead's son.

Inb4 Cool Story Bro.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2010, 05:25:01 PM »
ALL WOUND UP
ON THE EDGE
MOTÖRHEAD

SLEEP DISTURBED
RESTLESS MIND
KILLING TIME

BOUTS OF FEAR
PERMEATE
ACE OF SPADES

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2010, 05:27:15 PM »

Inb4 Cool Story Bro.
Odd wording but I get what you're saying.

Anyway, to continue,
ALL WOUND UP
ON THE EDGE
MOTÖRHEAD
SLEEP DISTURBED
RESTLESS MIND
KILLING TIME
BOUTS OF FEAR
PERMEATE
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

HEIGHTENING
NERVOUSNESS
DOWN ON ME

I AM PARALYZED
(I WON'T) PAY YOUR PRICE

CAUGHT OFF GUARD
WARNING SIGNS
BURIED ALIVE

TENSION STRIKES
CHOKING ME
ONE SHORT LIFE

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2010, 08:37:08 PM »

That isn't dorky at all, it's awesome! Best story of the thread so far, IMO.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2010, 02:44:23 AM »

Inb4 Cool Story Bro.
Odd wording but I get what you're saying.

I was very tired.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2010, 05:40:31 AM »

I had a similar situation where the Scottish Qualifications Authority sent me a letter address to "Harru" and one of my friends now calls me by that name to this day :yeahright

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2010, 07:16:26 AM »

I remember that conversation.  Good stuff.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2010, 07:19:13 AM »

I remember that conversation.  Good stuff.

Not to mention my glorious day of being endowed with umlauts. Good times............
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2010, 07:22:04 AM »
And that sexy pink avatar :eyebrows:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2010, 09:12:50 AM »
Basically, the story behind my username is that I stole it from a friend in middle school because I thought it was cool and have used it ever since.

For some reason, I'd always assumed that your username was a Redwall reference.

And...now that I think about it, that was a pretty dumb assumption.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2010, 09:20:47 AM »
Back when I was really into Star Wars (I still am, but I used to be REALLY into it) I played a lot of Star Wars games that let you create a custom character (like KOTOR and stuff). I decided that I would just create an identity for all video games that I would use (except for Rock Band and Guitar Hero, where my name is always The Impregnator). So Setra Taeso became my Jedi name.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline SilentFox

« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2010, 06:57:40 PM »

For some reason, I'd always assumed that your username was a Redwall reference.

And...now that I think about it, that was a pretty dumb assumption.
Truth be told, Redwall was one of my favorite series.  Gotta love those Dibbuns!  Not a dumb assumption -- I give you permission to call me Slagar  ;D