Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 256888 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: The "Apple Thread": iCloud (Fall) + Lion (July)
« Reply #1610 on: July 20, 2011, 06:27:04 PM »
Mouse gestures are so fucking annoying. I really don't see the purpose.

How can a journalist get away with lying like that? Snow leopard is not required. WTF?

I doubt he was lying outright, probably just a misunderstanding, because doesn't it require Snow Leopard to download the update?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1611 on: July 20, 2011, 06:41:31 PM »

How can a journalist get away with lying like that? Snow leopard is not required. WTF?

I doubt he was lying outright, probably just a misunderstanding, because doesn't it require Snow Leopard to download the update?

Ok if you have a mac you already have Snow leopard. It's been out for years now. Once you download the update you are free to burn it to a disc or put it on a usb drive. Then you can do a clean install no Snow leopard required. If you buy a new mac it comes with lion. But it's not a requirement to have snow leopard to install Lion, that's not true. You can do a fresh clean install without SL.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1612 on: July 20, 2011, 06:42:47 PM »

Also until you use it, it's hard to see the purpose. I was on the fence about it but now i see the advantages. They redesigned the UI interaction, it's much improved and i never had an issue in the first place but this is another step forward.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1613 on: July 20, 2011, 07:00:06 PM »
wow did not expect this. Impressive and this also means mbPro is due for a refresh very soon...

Electricpig reports that early benchmarking data obtained by Laptopmag.com from Apple's new MacBook Air models released today demonstrate significant performance improvements over the previous generation and even other Apple notebooks. Testing was performed using the Geekbench benchmarking tools.

According to the report, not only do the new MacBook Air models at least double the scores of the previous generation in testing with Geekbench, but the new machines also compare extremely favorably to even high-end MacBook Pro models from last year.
Quote:
The new 13-inch MacBook Air earned a Geekbench score of 5860, a bump in performance of over 100 percent compared to last year's model. The 11-inch MacBook Air was even more impressive, skyrocketing from 2024 to 5040 for 149 percent increase.

To put these benchmarks into perspective, the 2010 17-inch 2.67 GHz Core i7 MacBook Pro scored 5423. For £849 the 11-inch MacBook Air offers a benchmark on par with last year's £2099 17-inch MacBook Pro.
Geekbench testing focuses on processor and memory performance, providing comparisons of raw power between machines but only telling part of the story. Consequently, it remains to be seen how the new MacBook Air models will stack up in real-world situations, but early indications suggest that Apple's ultraportable lineup has indeed received a major increase in performance.

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1614 on: July 20, 2011, 07:14:43 PM »

Ok if you have a mac you already have Snow leopard. It's been out for years now. Once you download the update you are free to burn it to a disc or put it on a usb drive. Then you can do a clean install no Snow leopard required. If you buy a new mac it comes with lion. But it's not a requirement to have snow leopard to install Lion, that's not true. You can do a fresh clean install without SL.

But you had to have access to Snow Leopard to do this. Not ever Mac user is on Snow Leopard who could be. I'm sure half of them don't even know/give a fuck as to what Snow Leopard is. And whether they care about it or not, the point of the matter is that *at the moment* they cannot upgrade directly to Lion. They must first install SL, or find someone who has SL and a DVD burner, and then proceed.

All of this said, Apple will be selling it on a Flash Drive soon apparently. But soon is not today, so until that happens, yea you need SL to upgrade to Lion.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1615 on: July 20, 2011, 07:16:52 PM »
Yeah, it seems like you currently need Snow Leopard to acquire Lion, but not to install it. Why that is is completely beyond me, but whatever.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1616 on: July 20, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »
Yeah, it seems like you currently need Snow Leopard to acquire Lion, but not to install it. Why that is is completely beyond me, but whatever.

Because the Mac App Store only works on snow leopard. Just as certain applications only work on W7 and not XP etc. There is no story here really. Who is using a mac and doesn't use Snow leopard? It's been out for years now. It's not like it's new. Besides if you never upgraded to snow leopard odds are you are using a very old computer that Lion won't run on anyway. So basically it's a non issue. Most everyone who has a computer that can run Lion has snow leopard already and can download it. IT's not needed to install and Apple will be selling a USB drive for those with capped internet. SL not required there either.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1617 on: July 20, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-lion/id444303913?mt=12&ls=1

Requirements: Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later

https://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/

Step 1: 
Make sure your Mac can run Lion.
Step 2:
Make sure you have the latest version of Snow Leopard.
Step 3:
Download OS X Lion from the Mac App Store.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1618 on: July 20, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
Like i Said it's not required to install Lion. It's required if you want to download lion. But you can do a fresh install without SL or get the USB drive.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1619 on: July 20, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »
But currently there's no way to get it besides downloading, so the reviewer is, for all intents and purposes, correct.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1620 on: July 20, 2011, 08:08:18 PM »
I here what you are saying and you are correct but at the same time he said this...

Snow Leopard required for installation

That is not true. Once you have it, you never have to see SL again if you don't want.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1621 on: July 20, 2011, 08:08:39 PM »
You mean can't, right?

correct. Sorry for typo.

Look here to see what i'm talking about...

https://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/gestures.html

Seems nifty but I had to laugh at:

The scroll bar that wasn’t.
In OS X Lion, the scroll bar appears only when you scroll. So it doesn’t get in the way of the content on the screen.

I can not for the life of me remember a time when I've heard someone say the scroll bar blocks content on the screen. That extra 1/4" on the side isn't hurting webpages or documents at all. In fact pages are designed to fit the scrollbar. Apple: C'mon son.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1622 on: July 20, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »
But currently there's no way to get it besides downloading, so the reviewer is, for all intents and purposes, correct.

This.  The workaround you're mentioning, TJ, would require a fresh install as opposed to an in place upgrade, which I'm pretty sure the average Mac (heh) won't appreciate.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1623 on: July 20, 2011, 08:11:14 PM »

This.  The workaround you're mentioning, TJ, would require a fresh install as opposed to an in place upgrade, which I'm pretty sure the average Mac (heh) won't appreciate.

What do you mean average Mac (heh)?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1624 on: July 20, 2011, 08:12:30 PM »
You mean can't, right?

correct. Sorry for typo.

Look here to see what i'm talking about...

https://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/gestures.html

Seems nifty but I had to laugh at:

The scroll bar that wasn’t.
In OS X Lion, the scroll bar appears only when you scroll. So it doesn’t get in the way of the content on the screen.

I can not for the life of me remember a time when I've heard someone say the scroll bar blocks content on the screen. That extra 1/4" on the side isn't hurting webpages or documents at all. In fact pages are designed to fit the scrollbar. Apple: C'mon son.

I'm using it right now and it is a nice subtle features that enhances the UI. It's the same way in IOS which i prefer of the standard scrollbars. I'm glad they included it here.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: July 20, 2011, 08:14:17 PM »

What do you mean average Mac (heh)?

It was a Joe-k.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1626 on: July 20, 2011, 08:15:21 PM »
I'm using it right now and it is a nice subtle features that enhances the UI. It's the same way in IOS which i prefer of the standard scrollbars. I'm glad they included it here.

I bet, it's just the way they're marketing it. They're making up a solution to a "problem" that absolutely 100% does not exist.

Because Apple hasn't realized that most of their user base has figured out that they don't really need to spend money on those unnecessary upgrades every time Apple makes a slight tweak to their products every six months or so.

Offline TL

« Reply #1627 on: July 20, 2011, 08:19:12 PM »
Come on, the new Mac OS has a full screen grid of apps! I mean, sure, Windows 3.1 had that too, but they called them "icons", which isn't nearly as hip.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1628 on: July 20, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1629 on: July 20, 2011, 08:22:16 PM »
Come on, the new Mac OS has a full screen grid of apps! I mean, sure, Windows 3.1 had that too, but they called them "icons", which isn't nearly as hip.

I can never tell when people are serious or joking on here. I'm going to assume you are joking, not about Windows 3.1 but about the comparison.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1630 on: July 20, 2011, 08:23:11 PM »

I bet, it's just the way they're marketing it. They're making up a solution to a "problem" that absolutely 100% does not exist.

Because Apple hasn't realized that most of their user base has figured out that they don't really need to spend money on those unnecessary upgrades every time Apple makes a slight tweak to their products every six months or so.

It's been 4 years since they have put user features in the OS. Two years ago was a performance upgrade with no new end user features really. So this is a pretty big upgrade for the mac. There are a ton of new little things that i'm noticing that are QUITE welcome aside from the major new enhancements. Day 1 is going well so far...

The last release that had end user features was FAR from 6 months ago. It was actually October 26 2007

Offline TL

« Reply #1631 on: July 20, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »

I can never tell when people are serious or joking on here. I'm going to assume you are joking, not about Windows 3.1 but about the comparison.
I would like you to explain to me how having 'apps' on your desktop is different from having icons on your desktop.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1632 on: July 20, 2011, 08:34:31 PM »
They aren't on the desktop. At all.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1633 on: July 20, 2011, 09:39:24 PM »
Reading this thread gives me lols. Thank you tj. :lol :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline TL

« Reply #1634 on: July 20, 2011, 09:43:13 PM »
Okay then, where are they, and how are they different from program/shortcut icons?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1635 on: July 20, 2011, 09:55:40 PM »
Okay then, where are they, and how are they different from program/shortcut icons?

I'm glad you asked. i JUST made a video for you. Uploading to youtube now. =)

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1636 on: July 20, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »
OK HERE IT IS... THE MOMENT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR...

MY LAUNCHPAD DEMO! Also a couple other things but yeah... CLICK 720P!

https://youtu.be/nFHK1ncXxlQ

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1637 on: July 21, 2011, 04:02:34 AM »
This is the only Mac related video worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCEQZ_4V7NY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1638 on: July 21, 2011, 05:35:33 AM »
I think the the Lion features in the video would have impressed me more if I hadn't experienced most of them already using gnome3.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1639 on: July 21, 2011, 06:26:55 AM »
Okay, apple users, where can I find a DVD Audio Extractor for free for a mac that will extract the entire song?  The two free trial ones I found only let you go up to three minutes per song.  On my old PC, I was able to easily find a trial version that let you extract the whole songs. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1640 on: July 21, 2011, 08:07:10 AM »
So basically I picked the wrong time to upgrade to Mac.

And why is that?

Because right now everything is in flux and trying to fit into the new way Steve Jobs has deigned worthy for us to use his computers.  Fortunately school hasn't started yet so I still have time to wait for Apple to do things they should have done in the first place such as multicam editing in Final Cut.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TL

« Reply #1641 on: July 21, 2011, 10:46:30 AM »
OK HERE IT IS... THE MOMENT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR...

MY LAUNCHPAD DEMO! Also a couple other things but yeah... CLICK 720P!

https://youtu.be/nFHK1ncXxlQ

So "fullscreen applications" are literally just programs? Like, what almost every computer has had since the invention of the GUI? I can quickly and easily navigate 'full screen apps' on my computer too. See, the programs I have running are all on this bar at the bottom of the screen. If I click one of these bars, it instantly brings that program to the foreground! Amazing! I really don't see how gestures make that any faster/easier/better.

As for 'mission control', all I have to say is alt+tab. Also, WindowsButton+Tab if you want the same thing with a cool visual.

I fail to see how anything I saw there is 'revolutionary' or even new. I really don't see how gestures are better than just using a mouse. It feels like Apple just gave hip names to a bunch of existing things.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1642 on: July 21, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »
I've grown to hate being a mac user. People are so shitty to you when they find out you use one.

Offline TL

« Reply #1643 on: July 21, 2011, 10:52:11 AM »
I've grown to hate being a mac user. People are so shitty to you when they find out you use one.
Well if you just happen to use a Mac, that's fine. The problem is when you have Mac users that are acting like having a Mac is the most amazing, revolutionary thing ever, when it really isn't. For example, when you run into a Mac user bragging about 'full screen apps' as if they're not literally just programs.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1644 on: July 21, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »
I don't do that at all. They take one look at my computer and unleash a flurry of nonsense like, "Oooooh, well, excuse ME, your majesty! But shouldn't you be in a coffee shop listening to indie music and reminding everyone of how much better you are than them?" "You use a mac? Ugh, what the fuck, man?" Or they just laugh. I guess having a mac is indicative of my character.

I like my computer. It's fast. It's slick. It does everything I need it to do. I don't even get involved with all of the fancy apps and modulations they make. I don't act snide or condescending towards other people based on what computer they use. They should have the courtesy to treat me the same way.