Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 256906 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Re: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPhone 5
« Reply #3255 on: September 15, 2012, 03:36:07 PM »
AT&T and Verizon suck so bad. I have AT&T. I am still unlimited since the first iPhone. But I know that will end soon.

Verizon is by far the best carrier on the market. It's not even close.

They are both horrifically over priced and now only offer limited data usage for a lot of money a month. They both are shit because of that to me. I've never had an issue as far as coverage with ATT so no complaints there but their pricing for stuff is absurd.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3256 on: September 15, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »
Overpriced for what? With cell phone technology you pay for what you get. Verizon, and AT&T to a lesser extent, are the best you're going to get as far as data coverage and with the influx of users the price is more a cost to keep up with the demand than anything. Data is going to grow because that is the way technology is headed so stop whining about companies. They're the ones actually making sure you're able to access the data.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3257 on: September 15, 2012, 08:18:11 PM »
Im  not arguing that every cent cellphone companies spend is well spent, but I dont think people realize how expensive those infrastructures are to build an maintain. Not to mention how often they have to develop new ones. The turnover on the technology doesn't give then great profit margins years down the road like many other companies

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3258 on: September 19, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3259 on: September 19, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
I don't understand why people are making it to be a huge deal that the new iPhone isn't revolutionary. People act like it's an atrocity that the new iPhone isn't revolutionary. Not every release has to completely reinvent the product. Sure, Apple is playing it up to be like a revolutionary product, but doesn't everyone do that? It's called marketing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3260 on: September 19, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »
I think the worst thing Apple did is change to the Lightning connector. Everything now has that iPod/iPhone dock and Apple will probably charge you $35-45 for an adapter from this new connector to the old.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3261 on: September 19, 2012, 11:42:46 AM »
True. That will be annoying, but I'll let it slide because I've always hated the old connector.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3262 on: September 19, 2012, 11:47:17 AM »
I think the worst thing Apple did is change to the Lightning connector. Everything now has that iPod/iPhone dock and Apple will probably charge you $35-45 for an adapter from this new connector to the old.

They had to change them some time. I remember saying the same thing when everything switched to micro-usb. I now have about a dozen USB2.0 cables that are sitting around and good for nothing (with the exception of charging my PS3 controllers). There is going to come a day when TVs no longer come with AV jacks. Adapters are used all the time because technology changes. My dad has one of those auxiliary-to-cassette adapters so he can use his iPod in his truck.

Knock off adapters for under $5 bucks are going to be appearing within a week of the iPhone5 release. People shouldn't be too worried.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3263 on: September 19, 2012, 11:48:42 AM »
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but IOS 6 is available now.  I've already updated my iPod, iPad and iPhone  :hat

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #3264 on: September 19, 2012, 11:50:33 AM »

Who the hell uses a Samsung laptop?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3265 on: September 19, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but IOS 6 is available now.  I've already updated my iPod, iPad and iPhone  :hat

My iPad took over a half hour on my school's network.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3266 on: September 19, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »
It's a 760mb download, so yeah, it takes a bit of time.  Even on the ridiculously fast network here in my office it took 20 minutes...plus, the word is out now, so the Apple update servers are getting slammed

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3267 on: September 19, 2012, 12:03:53 PM »
Who the hell uses a Samsung laptop?

....me....

But it's just a simple laptop for school, web browsing, and word processing. Anything that actually takes resources is done on my desktop.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3268 on: September 19, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
Does anyone know how Verizon's whole shared data plan works. There's a $50 dollar one for unlimited talk/text and 1gb data. (which is better then the tiered $80 bucks a month)

Is this shared data plan just for family's or can I just go and do this just for myself?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3269 on: September 19, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »
I don't understand why people are making it to be a huge deal that the new iPhone isn't revolutionary. People act like it's an atrocity that the new iPhone isn't revolutionary. Not every release has to completely reinvent the product. Sure, Apple is playing it up to be like a revolutionary product, but doesn't everyone do that? It's called marketing.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

So few people actually understand what is going on behind the scenes in that thing they hold in their hand. Innovation doesn't always have to come in the form of a new look or blatantly new features. The amount of software modifications that Apple did for ios6 and the iPhone5 is truly amazing. The device may look similar, but it's a whole new beast (that goes for many new phones out there, not just Apple). #DroidUser

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3270 on: September 19, 2012, 12:56:57 PM »
I don't mean to downplay the hardware upgrades. But you're right.  It's amazing how much power they can cram into that small device. I hope heat isn't an issue.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3271 on: September 19, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »
How do I find the IOS 6 download on my Ipad and Ipod touch?

I went to the Software Update part of General and it says they're both up to date with 5.1 something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3272 on: September 19, 2012, 01:30:58 PM »
How do I find the IOS 6 download on my Ipad and Ipod touch?

I went to the Software Update part of General and it says they're both up to date with 5.1 something.

I'm pretty sure Apple is periodically opening access to different regions/deviecs. My buddy finsihed updating his iPhone and my iPad took over hour after that to even detect the update....

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3273 on: September 19, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »
One of the benefits of the iPhone 5 is the improved battery life.  Coming from an HTC Thunderbolt 4G that has abysmal battery life (both when using it and on standby), it'll be a huge difference. 

Looking at the spec sheet, 4G browsing battery life is better on the 5 than 3G browsing is on the 4S:

iPhone 5       iPhone 4S
3G              ---               6hrs
4G             8hrs               --- 

So while I understand that this phone isn't a huge step up for existing 4 and 4S owners, unless you own a new Galaxy S3 or equivalent Android phone, it's a big step up for current low to mid-range phone owners.

Offline Cable

« Reply #3274 on: September 19, 2012, 04:45:59 PM »
I don't mean to downplay the hardware upgrades. But you're right.  It's amazing how much power they can cram into that small device. I hope heat isn't an issue.

Which is on the reasons I am waiting for at least a few months to get one, as people will review it and bugs will be worked out. I bought the HTC EVO 3d on release day and this was one of the biggest problems with it. The battery would often de-charge slowly while plugged in and using an application.

---

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3275 on: September 19, 2012, 05:01:37 PM »
I feel like a heat issue is something Apple would never allow. With the amount of press their products get, and the sheer number of iPhones that get into users' hands on day one, something as simple as a heating issue would be way up there "test, test, test, and test again for this problem" list.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3276 on: September 19, 2012, 05:05:04 PM »
I think the reception problem is way more of an embarrassing miss than an overheating issue.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #3277 on: September 19, 2012, 05:11:26 PM »
Macbooks have had numerous heating issues over the years.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3278 on: September 19, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »
Macbooks have had numerous heating issues over the years.

I was speaking strictly iPhone. Their macbooks can have defects and go undetected by most of the public. If the iPhone5 ever had a serious flaw, the media would never shut up about it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3279 on: September 19, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »
So it's almost 7pm my time and the updates still aren't available.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #3280 on: September 19, 2012, 07:14:47 PM »

The installation was one of the fastest I've ever had. My download from itunes at home was 847 MB and finished in less than 5 mins. Installation was another 15 mins and it was all done then.

The OS does seem a bit snappier and the little things done here and there is pretty cool like the options now available when answering calls to reply with a text, etc..

My major gripe is the maps app. They are missing a buttload of information and I'm reading forums where people have posted hundreds if not thousands of instances of getting erroneous information. Things like showing year old closed shops, no re-routing when missing your street, map server access issues(though that could be expected today), search finding 0 fast food chains, etc..

I had trouble getting the dropped pin to work correctly, it wouldn't know the address of the street I would drop and didn't give any option to get to the address when it was the same street I live on. Sure there are going to be issues and it will only get better with time, but right now I wouldn't use it when going out of town.

Here's an article discussing the maps grievances.

https://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/09/19/the-verdict-on-apples-new-map-app-compared-with-google-maps-it-sucks/
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

« Reply #3281 on: September 19, 2012, 07:33:58 PM »
Downloading on my Ipad now. Still not available on my Ipod Touch.

Odd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3282 on: September 19, 2012, 07:39:09 PM »
There's definitely not enough space on my phone to upgrade. I'm just going to wait until I get the new one.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3283 on: September 19, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »
Just curious, are there any perks to updating for my Ipod touch? I only use it to listen to music. And if I remember correctly, the last time I upgraded the software, it deleted all my music.

So is it even worth downloading for the Ipod touch?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3284 on: September 19, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »
The fuck. No Siri for iPad second gen?

And what the fuck were they thinking with this App Store redesign. Is it not loading info for anyone else?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3285 on: September 19, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Does anyone here have an Apple device with Siri? How often do you use it? I don't see myself using it very often, but maybe that's just because I don't have it yet.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3286 on: September 19, 2012, 07:51:51 PM »
Does anyone really use Siri regularly though?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3287 on: September 19, 2012, 07:55:30 PM »
No. I disabled Siri.

Bf is getting an iphone 5. I'm jealous, I have the 4s. I've been teasing him for almost a year now about how much better my phone is than his 3g.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3288 on: September 19, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »

I'll ask her when I get my Iphone 5.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3289 on: September 19, 2012, 08:28:48 PM »
I hardly ever do. Maybe once or twice a month if I had to say so.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies