Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 256894 times)

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
Re: The "Apple Thread": Steve Jobs is Dead. R.I.P. (1955-2011)
« Reply #2240 on: October 07, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »
LOL. These are so funny, yet heart warming.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2241 on: October 07, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2242 on: October 07, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2246 on: October 08, 2011, 01:50:26 AM »
"Also, GLaDOS may try to kill you."  :lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2247 on: October 08, 2011, 02:18:27 AM »
Damn, Colbert. Just... Damn.

https://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/399182/october-06-2011/tribute-to-steve-jobs?xrs=synd_facebook

I didn't even care for Jobs all that much (didn't dislike him either), but the last ten seconds... talk about an emotion inducing delivery.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Kosmo

« Reply #2248 on: October 09, 2011, 02:57:43 AM »
Some of you maybe saw this already but I'll post it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42BjJ7jLgK8&feature=feedu

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2249 on: October 10, 2011, 08:29:20 AM »
An article explaining why the iPhone will always have a 3.5" screen: https://www.redmondpie.com/ever-wondered-why-the-iphone-has-a-3.5-inch-screen-this-might-be-an-appropriate-answer/

This Is The Reason Why The iPhone Will Always Have A 3.5-inch Screen
By Oliver Haslam | October 9th, 2011

Here’s a little tidbit that we just discovered, and it’s all about the size of the iPhone’s screen. More specifically, it’s all about why the iPhone’s screen is still 3.5-inches across its diagonal, while most Android, and even Windows Phone 7 (ultimate special super duper series edition 7) handsets are sporting ever increasing screen dimensions.

The revelation comes from Dustin Curtis, a designer who has been spending a little time with a Samsung Galaxy S II Android phone, complete with its huge 4.21-inch screen. Apparently, the reason Apple’s iPhones are smaller is all down to how you use the device with one hand, and more to the point, where your thumb reaches.

"When you first see a phone with a 4-inch or larger screen, it seems like a much better experience. I thought it was a technical decision, and it could be, but since switching to an Android phone — a Samsung Galaxy S II, the “best Android phone you can buy, anywhere” — 15 days ago, I have realized another huge downside of larger screens: when holding the phone with one hand, I can’t reach the other side of the screen with my thumb."

By contrast, Curtis notes that when using an iPhone, he has no trouble reaching across its screen, and can happily tap away on the far side to where his palm lays. This does actually make perfect sense, and gels well with my own personal experience with smartphones.

Over the last few months I’ve been lucky enough to get my hands on a few different handsets to have a play with, and two of those sported considerably larger screens than my iPhone 4. The two smartphones I’m thinking of are the Samsung Nexus S, and the HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7).

Both screens are pretty expansive – the Nexus S comes with a 4-inch display, while the HD7 is even larger at a whopping 4.3-inches.

In the case of both handsets, I struggled to use their massive screens properly. Simply reaching up to the notification drawer on the Nexus S proved hard work for me, though I must confess, I do have rather small hands considering I’m a 29-year old male. Still, the point still stands.

The HD7, well, that just felt too big in general. The creaky case construction didn’t really help here, either.

But I digress. Did Apple choose to go with a 3.5-inch screen because of ergonomics, instead of following the lead of the competition who clearly believe that big is better?

It’s possible, and if true, don’t expect to see a larger screen coming to the iPhone any time soon.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:49:19 PM by emindead »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2250 on: October 10, 2011, 08:36:10 AM »
Well that's not so much explaining, as just guessing.
I find the iPod/iPhone screen just small enough to reach across entirely with my thumb, and it's a bit of a stretch, so I'd imagine it would be hard on a larger screen (never used any of the devices mentioned).
But that said, I find it's actually really goofy using the thumb for anything but the most basic tasks anyway. Typing like that is a pain, and I always have to use my index finger.
So while it may be a factor, I don't see it as a an important factor to holding back the screen size, although I also can't say it really needs to be any bigger for its purpose either.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #2251 on: October 10, 2011, 10:15:16 AM »
My wife decided to get an Android after waiting for the iPhone 5 all this time.  She really doesn't like the look of the iPhone 4.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2252 on: October 10, 2011, 11:06:14 AM »
I think that the first iPhone that really sold me the idea of how good the overall design is was the iPhone 4. I like its design, its look is really slick, factor that I really consider when making a big purchase (I usually only spent huge amount of money on concerts and trips, but when it comes to gadgets it REALLY has to make me want it. The iPhone 4 was that phone, and I didn't buy it immediately because I had recently acquired the BlackBerry Curve. I have now exceeded the use of that phone and I'm ready to making my first big (phone) purchase).

Talking about sold, the iPhone 4s has broken its own record and as the pre-orders exceed the one million in first 24 hours: https://www.engadget.com/2011/10/10/apple-iphone-4s-pre-orders-exceed-one-million-in-first-24-hours/

Offline Millais

« Reply #2253 on: October 10, 2011, 11:39:27 AM »
well I've got a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I can quite comfortably reach the top with my thumb. My hands are average size as well so I'm not sure what that guy is on about.

Such a coincidence though - my friends were saying today how big my screen was compared to theres. and I have to say, I absolutely love it :)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2254 on: October 10, 2011, 12:49:18 PM »
I prefer ppi over screen size, and the iPhone wins at that.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2255 on: October 10, 2011, 12:53:14 PM »
I've never understood why a person would want a giant phone. It feels funny against your face when you're talking (though admittedly most people don't seem to actually talk on their phones anymore) and it doesn't fit terribly well in your pocket. it's funny that we went through a "smaller is better" phase with cell phones and now that we're onto so-called smart phones, bigger is better.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #2256 on: October 10, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
You'll notice most of the bigger trend is associated with phones where the entire face is the screen.  If you're going to push video capable and game capable devices it makes sense to market options with bigger screens.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2257 on: October 10, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »
I want the largest screen that can fit in my pocket.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2258 on: October 10, 2011, 03:58:21 PM »
If you're going to push video capable and game capable devices it makes sense to market options with bigger screens.
This would be true if those devices would have the Retina Display Apple does have; bigger in this case is not better.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #2259 on: October 10, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/10/ipad-surpasses-iphone-in-u-s-internet-traffic-nabs-97-share-of-tablet-traffic/

iPad Surpasses iPhone in U.S. Internet Traffic, Nabs 97% Share of Tablet Traffic
Monday October 10, 2011 12:08 pm PDT by Eric Slivka
Research firm comScore today announced the results of its latest study of digital media consumption in the United States, perhaps unsurprisingly finding that the iPad has continued to dominate the tablet industry and has even quickly overcome the iPhone's headstart to lead it in total traffic. Among iOS devices, the iPad is now responsible for more U.S. Internet traffic than the iPhone, taking the title by a margin of 46.8% to 42.6%.

Perhaps most notably, the iPad continues to dominate the U.S. tablet industry even as numerous high-profile competitors have introduced (and in some cases already discontinued) their own tablet products to take on the iPad. According to comScore, the iPad accounted for 97.2% of U.S. Internet traffic, as measured by browser-basd page views, from tablet devices over the June-August period.

Looking at the broader tablet and smartphone market, iOS as a whole represented 43.1% of the installed user base for connected devices in the United States over the study period, with Android placing second at 34.1%. But in looking at traffic from those devices as a gauge for how much they are being used, iOS takes a commanding 58.5% of the market while Android dips to 31.9%.

Apple fans have frequently pointed to the company's strong performance with the iPad and iPod touch as data that should be included when comparing the relative adoption of iOS versus Android. And given that Android has yet to take off in the tablet and non-phone connected device markets, iOS continues to hold a sizable lead in overall platform comparisons despite Android's rapid ascent in the smartphone portion of the market.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2260 on: October 10, 2011, 05:11:32 PM »
Damn. It's popular; it must be so good.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2261 on: October 10, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »
The iPad is amazing. I'm on it right now.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #2262 on: October 10, 2011, 07:40:06 PM »
The iPad is amazing. I'm on it right now.

If this were facebook I'd like this comment. I definitely agree with this
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2263 on: October 10, 2011, 07:43:56 PM »
On the day jobs died, my status was "posted from an iPad2" I got 1 like

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #2264 on: October 11, 2011, 07:45:01 AM »
If you're going to push video capable and game capable devices it makes sense to market options with bigger screens.
This would be true if those devices would have the Retina Display Apple does have; bigger in this case is not better.
Quality of display never stopped people getting massive SD projection units,

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2265 on: October 11, 2011, 08:19:41 AM »
On the day jobs died, my status was "posted from an iPad2" I got 1 like

But that's because FB is stupid, not the iPad.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #2266 on: October 11, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »
Got a big smile from reading this. Morons on the net were calling the 4s under powered and weak compared to android phones. ROFLCOPTER.

iPhone 4S CPU slower than iPad 2, still faster than all Android phones
October 11, 2011 | Devindra Hardawar1 Comment

inShare

Apple’s upcoming iPhone 4S will be a reminder that CPU clock speed isn’t everything.

Even though the iPhone 4S runs the same dual-core A5 CPU as the iPad 2, Apple has apparently reduced the chip’s speed from 1 gigahertz to around 800MHz, reports Anandtech. But that doesn’t stop the iPhone 4S from blazing past all other phones — many of which have CPUs well over 1GHz — in benchmark tests.

In the SunSpider Javascript benchmark, the iPhone 4S is almost twice as fast as the iPhone 4, achieving a score of 2222ms vs 3921ms (lower is better). It’s only bested by the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. The iPhone 4S trounces all others in the Rightware BrowserMark test, achieving a score of 89,567, while the Samsung Galaxy S II only hits 55,144. Compared to the iPhone 4, the Geekbench test found that the iPhone 4S is just about twice as fast.

Just as it did with the iPhone 4, which runs a slower A4 processor than the original iPad, Apple likely reduced the CPU’s speed to conserve battery life.

And as Anandtech writes, there are plenty of other benefits:

A lower clock not only means higher yields from the factory, but likely a lower operating voltage as well. Dropping a CPU’s core voltage, yields a greater-than-linear decrease in power consumption, making the marginal loss in clock speed a good choice. At a lower operating frequency than its Android competitors, Apple does have to exploit its strengths in software to avoid any tangible performance penalties. Apple has traditionally done this very well in the past, so I don’t expect the loss of frequency to be a huge deal to the few who do cross-shop iOS and Android.

When it comes to gaming, the iPhone 4S is no slouch either, achieving FPS speeds twice as fast as Samsung’s Galaxy S II.

Overall, while the iPhone 4S may appear to be just a slight upgrade over the iPhone 4, its new A5 chip makes it a different beast entirely.

https://venturebeat.com/2011/10/11/iphone-4s-cpu-slower-than-ipad-2-still-faster-than-all-android-phones/

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2267 on: October 11, 2011, 11:40:29 AM »

The Galaxy tab barely edges it out there but your point still stands.

What can you expect though? iOS has tight hardware integration where as Android is built to work on pretty much anything.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #2268 on: October 11, 2011, 11:56:21 AM »
Exactly. That's why I was saying who cares how much ram it has. Its well optimized and can take up less battery.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2269 on: October 11, 2011, 11:58:26 AM »
I would say Android's main loss in battery (compared to iOS) is down to its full multitasking capabilities.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2270 on: October 11, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »
I would say Android's main loss in battery (compared to iOS) is down to its full multitasking capabilities.

I find mine constantly downloading/updating/uploading shit all the time... even though I have dissabled all that stuff. The widgets eat battery life. I have to turn all of them off if I want to make it through the school day. I love my DroidX, but the battery life really makes me limit its use. If I'm on campus 12 hours, and only use it to send say 30 text messages and nothing else. I still only have 60% or so by the time I get back to my car. If I use the net for a few things here and there, that number drops to 30% or lower by the end of the day. It can be 100% before I go to bed. When my alarm goes off 8 hours later, it's down to 80% already. It's pretty shitty.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2271 on: October 11, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »
All my droids have lasted me about a day on a full charge which is pretty average for smart phones

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2272 on: October 11, 2011, 12:52:47 PM »
The battery on my droid is great. It lasts all day unless I'm using it constantly.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2273 on: October 11, 2011, 12:54:13 PM »
All my droids have lasted me about a day on a full charge which is pretty average for smart phones

I demand more.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2274 on: October 11, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »
Get a dumb phone then because iPhones aren't much better.