Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 256761 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini
« Reply #3395 on: January 13, 2013, 02:00:33 PM »
Hey there Apple freaks. Question:

How big a difference does the Retina display make on the iPad and MacBook Pro? Also, will it be available for the MacBook Air soon?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #3396 on: January 13, 2013, 02:16:34 PM »
On the iPad it makes a huge difference. A non-retina iPad just looks a little crappy. On the macbook it's less IN YOUR FACE but you definitely see a big difference.
I think it won't be long for the macbook Air.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline adameastment

« Reply #3397 on: January 14, 2013, 01:08:49 PM »
On the iPad it makes a huge difference. A non-retina iPad just looks a little crappy. On the macbook it's less IN YOUR FACE but you definitely see a big difference.
I think it won't be long for the macbook Air.

This, I recently upgraded from an iPad 2 to a 4th Gen and it's such a massive difference!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3398 on: January 29, 2013, 06:47:59 PM »
Don't mind me guys... Just over here typing on my new wireless keyboard! :)
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3399 on: January 29, 2013, 07:55:21 PM »
Been doing that since '05, wireless mouse too.

Sup
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3400 on: January 29, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »
I bought the Apple wireless keyboard when I bought my iPad. I used it twice in the last two years.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #3401 on: January 29, 2013, 11:05:22 PM »
Not sure If anyone has heard, but Apple Announced a 128gb iPad today!
May The Force Be With You.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3402 on: January 30, 2013, 05:25:09 AM »

I wish it was a wireless game controller instead.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #3403 on: January 30, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »

I just tweeted about this, now I worked for Apple for seasonal work. I don't understand why on Earth anyone would need a 128gb iPad the 64gb ones sold slower than a... I can't think of a metaphor right now, but it was really slow!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3404 on: January 30, 2013, 04:20:58 PM »

I just tweeted about this, now I worked for Apple for seasonal work. I don't understand why on Earth anyone would need a 128gb iPad the 64gb ones sold slower than a... I can't think of a metaphor right now, but it was really slow!

Possible indication of the 16GB phase out?? Maybe the 128GB will get a price drop to the current 64GB price, and the 32GB will be dropped to the price of the 16GB

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3405 on: January 30, 2013, 06:07:05 PM »
I'm fine with my 16 gig one lol. It does the job.

Offline smorris

« Reply #3406 on: January 31, 2013, 01:15:52 AM »

I would imagine the people at Microsoft are the ones tearing their hair out right now. The 128GB (83GB actual storage) Surface Pro priced at $100 more than this one. lol.  :metal

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3407 on: January 31, 2013, 02:53:36 AM »

I would imagine the people at Microsoft are the ones tearing their hair out right now. The 128GB (83GB actual storage) Surface Pro priced at $100 more than this one. lol.  :metal

Nah, the iPad doesn't run OSX. $100 extra to be able to run a full operating system with a lot more potential will be well worth it for a bunch of people.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3408 on: January 31, 2013, 05:21:56 AM »

Nah, the iPad doesn't run OSX. $100 extra to be able to run a full operating system with a lot more potential will be well worth it for a bunch of people.

The added flash drive and mouse support are well worth that extra hundred bucks.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #3409 on: January 31, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »

Possible indication of the 16GB phase out?? Maybe the 128GB will get a price drop to the current 64GB price, and the 32GB will be dropped to the price of the 16GB
Possible I suppose, apps do seem to be getting more content based and therefore bigger. But then again, since when have Apple ever reduced prices apart from when it is for the most part discontinued (the 16gb iPad 2 for instance)...

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3410 on: January 31, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »

Possible I suppose, apps do seem to be getting more content based and therefore bigger. But then again, since when have Apple ever reduced prices apart from when it is for the most part discontinued (the 16gb iPad 2 for instance)...

Since when has Apple just ever randomly dropped a new product on the market without warning? They never used to do that. I think Apple is adapting their business strategy.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3411 on: January 31, 2013, 07:03:14 PM »
Apple regularly comes out with new models with higher storage, phases out the low end storage of the previous version, and don't increase the price.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3412 on: February 15, 2013, 05:44:18 AM »
Android continues to completely dominate the Smartphone market:
https://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/tech/mobile/smartphone-sales-apple-android/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3413 on: February 15, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3414 on: February 16, 2013, 06:35:52 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/tech/mobile/smartphone-sales-apple-android/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
I always hear this, but I probably see 3 iPhones for any other phone in my area. I have an Android phone though.

Offline Cable

« Reply #3415 on: February 17, 2013, 08:11:16 AM »
I always hear this, but I probably see 3 iPhones for any other phone in my area. I have an Android phone though.

I believe globally it's different. And different areas probably will have different makeups. I do think Apple attracts a higher SES because of their stuff being so expensive in comparison.
---

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3416 on: February 17, 2013, 08:16:29 AM »
Of course there are going to be more android devices out there, do you know how many devices android is actually on? It's ridiculous. Who cares. The iPhone is still the number 1 selling smartphone, but guess what.. Who really cares about that either. Just use what you use and enjoy it.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3417 on: February 17, 2013, 08:18:35 AM »
On another note. Mike Mangini just posted this cool pic!

"Putting this iPad up high and in front has been a great move with lots of applications. I wish I had it way back when I had to perform tunes without really learning them by taping tons of small song outlines all over my kit ! There's got to be a lot of you that did that ?? And I can't imagine all the hockey games that I could've watched on stage in my 80's cover band years :)"

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/tjanuranus/ScreenShot2013-02-17at101739AM_zps7063a1cb.png

Offline TL

« Reply #3418 on: February 18, 2013, 11:25:48 PM »
Anecdotal; Around here, you see some iPhones, but Android (especially HTC and Samsung) seems to be the overwhelming majority. You actually see quite a few Blackberry phones around here too (more or less on par with iPhone).

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3419 on: February 19, 2013, 10:31:20 AM »
Anecdotal; Around here, you see some iPhones, but Android (especially HTC and Samsung) seems to be the overwhelming majority. You actually see quite a few Blackberry phones around here too (more or less on par with iPhone).

I was with a group of people last night. 7 android devices and 0 iphones.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3420 on: February 19, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »
What is the purpose of this discussion?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3421 on: February 19, 2013, 12:15:54 PM »

Dat obvious flame bait

Right, the guy who owns two iPhones, three iPads and a $4000 studio Mac is flame baiting the apple thread  :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3422 on: February 19, 2013, 12:21:05 PM »

The iPhone is very popular in some places, but facts are facts.  From the article:

Android continues to dominate in the battle to be the top smartphone system in the world, thanks in part to Samsung, which reigned as the top phone manufacturer for 2012.

Android grew its already significant chunk of the smartphone market to 68.8% last year, while Apple's iOS operating system stayed comfortably in second place with 18.8% of smartphone shipments, according to new stats from research firm IDC. Together, the two operating systems accounted for 87.6% of all new smartphones in 2012, leaving struggling competitors BlackBerry and Windows far behind.

Now, I've owned both and I prefer the iPhone by quite a wide a margin.   Mostly because I think the App market is better.  But there are things that annoy me about the iPhone that I think hold it back.  The biggest one is the fact that I have use that steaming pile of shit, iTunes, to move any data to/from it.    The lack of USB connectivity doesn't help either.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3423 on: February 19, 2013, 04:34:20 PM »
So what does everyone think about the rumored iWatch? Has it been discussed yet?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3424 on: February 19, 2013, 05:12:38 PM »
So what does everyone think about the rumored iWatch? Has it been discussed yet?

I love the idea. I bought a Sony smart watch not too long ago for my Android phone. It's really cool, but it seems really underdeveloped and not of the best quality. For $120 bucks though, I can't really complain. It has a lot of cool elements and could be really cool if it evolves a bit down the road. If I had an iPhone, I'd be all over the iWatch when/if it comes out. I really hope someone comes out with a high quality Android one soon.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3425 on: February 19, 2013, 09:20:36 PM »
I've had an ipod nano watch for a while now. A real one would be cool though lol

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3426 on: March 08, 2013, 09:56:09 PM »
So my iPod Classic lasted a total of 1 month before the headphone jack became screwed up and only played sound out of the left speaker. Then another few weeks before it now switches, pauses, and plays songs at random no matter if it's locked, on a screen where it's literally impossible to interact with the song, or whatever else. Wonderful.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #3427 on: April 11, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »
I ended up buying a Macbook Air to complement my iPad.  That iPad is cool, but sometimes I felt too confined by a mobile OS and wanted OS X.  I wonder if I am the only one who basically made the iPad take a backseat to a laptop...

The Macbook Air is a spectacular machine.  I don't need an optical drive on it as long as I have my iMac.  Of course, I could buy a USB optical drive if I needed one...

I have no problem with the screen on the Air.  Looks really nice and sharp to me.   :tup

Offline Cable

« Reply #3428 on: April 11, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »
So my iPod Classic lasted a total of 1 month before the headphone jack became screwed up and only played sound out of the left speaker. Then another few weeks before it now switches, pauses, and plays songs at random no matter if it's locked, on a screen where it's literally impossible to interact with the song, or whatever else. Wonderful.

Send it back or take it to the sheep colony, should have a 90 day warranty.

Some people will say "see, HDs suck, flash/SSD!" But iPod classics have sucked and been the forgotten child since at the earliest iPod Mini/Nano, and obviously then iPhone/IPTouch. I'm convinced Apple does nothing with them besides selling them. No improvements really besides minor upgrades a few years. If there wasn't the hardcore music fan base that demands space, they'd be gone.

Mine since day one (6/2009) rebooted at random. Which makes listening to things a challenge if it is long (songs, podcasts and at worst, audiobooks). No problem like that with my wives Nano or my ayephone.

---

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3429 on: April 12, 2013, 09:26:36 AM »
Gotta be honest, I've enjoyed the iPad, but the lack of compatibility with Microsoft Office is a HUGE bummer.

My company is about to purchase about 120 of these Dell Latitude 10 tablets (running Windows 8) and they're actually pretty sweet because I can run Microsoft Office right on them and they can pretty much do anything the iPad can do and WAY more, because they have USB ports and SD card slots!

Probably going to be selling my iPad pretty soon.