Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 256498 times)

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The "Apple Will Not Surprise Me Today" Thread
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2010, 05:21:03 PM »
I went to the Apple store today and held one and fell in love with it. It's fucking outstanding.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2010, 05:27:31 PM »
I still see no reason to get this over a laptop or netbook, especially since Chrome OS is on it's way and Ubuntu already has a netbook-specific distribution. Oh yeah, and it won't cost you 700 bucks.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »
I was hanging around the airport today after practicing some landings, and someone there had one.  He had an app for aeronautical charts.  When you realize that it replaces volumes of bound charts and figures, it's certainly worth it just for that purpose.  Especially considering that aviation related functions are only a small part of what it can do.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2010, 05:41:44 PM »
I was hanging around the airport today after practicing some landings, and someone there had one.  He had an app for aeronautical charts.  When you realize that it replaces volumes of bound charts and figures, it's certainly worth it just for that purpose.  Especially considering that aviation related functions are only a small part of what it can do.
You can get that same app for the iPod Touch, which won't cost you $700.

A lot of people don't realize that if you're gonna get the iPhone for just the apps... why the fuck don't you get the iPod Touch?!?! Same goes for the iPad.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2010, 05:49:46 PM »
I still see no reason to get this over a laptop or netbook, especially since Chrome OS is on it's way and Ubuntu already has a netbook-specific distribution. Oh yeah, and it won't cost you 700 bucks.

the cheapest model is $499 bro. Also, this is an outstanding secondary device. It won't replace a laptop (unless you do nothing but browsing and email)

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2010, 05:57:25 PM »

the cheapest model is $499 bro. Also, this is an outstanding secondary device. It won't replace a laptop (unless you do nothing but browsing and email)

What does 'secondary device' even mean? Something you take on a train so you can browse facebook?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2010, 06:14:57 PM »

But why bother with a secondary device when you could just have a Laptop that does everything.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2010, 06:15:41 PM »

What does 'secondary device' even mean? Something you take on a train so you can browse facebook?
A net book can do that...
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2010, 06:21:21 PM »

But why bother with a secondary device when you could just have a Laptop that does everything.

Because someone doesn't want a laptop that does everything? Because they already have something like that but they find the iPad favorable for portable browsing and similar tasks? Why don't people buy MP3 players with more capacity than an iPod? Apple knows how to cater to certain audiences, and the iPad is tailored towards more of an older, affluent market.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2010, 06:27:37 PM »

Because someone doesn't want a laptop that does everything? Because they already have something like that but they find the iPad favorable for portable browsing and similar tasks? Why don't people buy MP3 players with more capacity than an iPod? Apple knows how to cater to certain audiences, and the iPad is tailored towards more of an older, affluent market.

1. Spending 600+ (yes the cheapest is 500 but it has no 3G thus 'portable browsing' is pretty useless) just to browse the internet and play peggle on the train is ridiculous.

2. Apple knowing how to cater to a market doesn't make their products any better.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Apple knowing how to cater to a market doesn't make their products any better.
While that's true, it's not about good products it's about money and Apple is raking it in.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2010, 07:59:37 PM »
Everytime I see this thread title, I think about waking up one morning and seeing that theres an apple sitting on my dresser, just watching me.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2010, 08:07:14 PM »
iPad=glorified iPod touch

Apple Lemmings are hysterical

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2010, 08:17:06 PM »
Everytime I see this thread title, I think about waking up one morning and seeing that theres an apple sitting on my dresser, just watching me.
Apple is watching you.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2010, 08:20:13 PM »
I haven't read a bad iPad review from somebody who has one, or a good review from anyone that doesn't.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2010, 09:34:49 PM »

1. Spending 600+ (yes the cheapest is 500 but it has no 3G thus 'portable browsing' is pretty useless) just to browse the internet and play peggle on the train is ridiculous.

2. Apple knowing how to cater to a market doesn't make their products any better.

Brilliant argument. I can see that logic is your strong point. I will now consult you when I need to know what the world wants.

Offline LTE

« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2010, 09:44:55 PM »
I have friends that use Macs, even they hate pro-Mac people.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2010, 09:45:54 PM »
iPad=glorified iPod touch

Apple Lemmings are hysterical

You guys can hate all you want..it's not surprising when it comes to Apple.

For the record: I don't own an iPad, and I don't see myself buying one. I am not an Apple fanboy, I just see the logic in releasing this product...and know full well it's not for everyone.

With that out of the way, a lot of people are ignorant about the product. Glorified iPod touch? Excellent research, I can definitely tell from your post that you've put a lot of time and thought into your opinion.

The iPad has the potential to change a lot of the things we do. Imagine the possibilities of students having all their school books on one device. Imagine being a business owner and having a nice, elegant and professional way to present your product line to customers. I think anyone telling you that the iPad is the best thing that ever happened and is better than a computer is probably delusional -- but that's besides the point. Most of the people who ignorantly bash the device don't take into consideration what its potential is. Most tablet computers are just that -- a laptop that sliced off the keyboard and barely thought of a way to improve or change the OS besides the touch input. Have you ever used a tablet that wasn't sluggish and/or poorly implemented? It just feels like a computer without a keyboard or mouse. Where's the innovation?

Whereas Apple has done the same things -- dropped they keyboard and mouse, but where they differ is they have crafted an entirely different OS made for its purpose alone. Sure, it's an extension of the iPhone OS -- nevertheless it performs its functions much more efficiently than a normal tablet PC will. Whether the functionality of the iPad is something you will use is the question. Is it worth 499.99 for you to have a device like this? For a lot of people it is. The people buying this thing (besides apple fags) want something simple, streamlined, elegant, and well built. How many netbooks are as well built as the iPad? Most netbooks use older, lower quality hardware to meet lower costs -- a netbook is more of a compromise than an innovation. The iPad is not the most innovative thing ever released, but it's certainly unique for a tablet/whatever and definitely has carved a niche for itself that I can see being very successful. Let's face it -- Apple moves hardware, they must be doing something right.

They are constantly at the forefront of the computer industry -- they basically created or popularized a lot of the media devices we use every day, like laptops, mp3 players, the iPhone, and now a tablet/portable media device. It's not a full fledged computer, but it's not trying to be -- it's supposed to be the in-between. Personally I think they nailed it.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2010, 09:57:15 PM »
Most tablet computers are just that -- a laptop that sliced off the keyboard and barely thought of a way to improve or change the OS besides the touch input. Have you ever used a tablet that wasn't sluggish and/or poorly implemented? It just feels like a computer without a keyboard or mouse. Where's the innovation?

You're right. Making a bigger model of something you already have is as innovative as it gets.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2010, 10:08:10 PM »
Why is it such a big deal if it's the same OS on a bigger screen? Are people really that ignorant? What is your opinion on companies charging more money for a laptop with a bigger screen, but the same specs? Developers can use the extra screen landscape to create more sophisticated apps. You can drop the word innovation if you want. How about refining? What is with the confusion? Steve Jobs didn't step out onto the stage and say "this will replace your current laptop." AFAIK they are still manufacturing Macbooks.

This is really just a simple case of people hating someone because it's Apple doing it -- like people getting pissed off when the Yankees win the world series because they've won it more times than anyone else. Try to think of something inside of a vacuum for once, it's not that hard.

A computer is not just hardware. If you want to view things in the simplest terms, fine.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2010, 10:16:15 PM »
It becomes a big deal when the company parades it around as being innovative. Tablets have been around for a long time, and any company could have made them that size or shape. Tablets just are not practical though, and this  device is no exception.

I actually admire some apple products, and the Mac OS software is great for someone in music and film such as myself. Trust me, if this product was worth defending I'd be on your side.

On the other hand, there are more useful looking devices such as this: (watch first video)

I'll admit that I would have little use for having one. But if I were to get a tablet, I would rather get something like the Courier which actually seems to be innovative.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2010, 10:20:26 PM »
Why do you care what the company parades it as? It's their fucking job to overhype a product and make you think you want it more than you actually do and Apple is fucking incredible at doing that. But LIKE I SAID -- look at the device as if it exists in a vacuum. Take it on its own merits. I think it's kind of silly that you let media fluff sour your opinion of something so much.

The MASSIVE built in audience of iPhone and iPod touch users is a pretty big plus for the device, too. Lots of people hold back on buying fancy new gadgets because it looks too complicated, but there have been what, 50-60 million of those devices shipped? They aimed for simplicity and fortunately for them, Apple has almost unparalleled brand trust.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2010, 10:21:04 PM »
I think that if more people say "refine" instead of "innovate" there wouldn't be so much dispute. The tablets have existed for a long time, Apple just made it more appealing in an aesthetic way; which is their strong since the launch of the iPod: refine.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2010, 10:22:28 PM »
I think the size is something that was seriously underestimated. Sure it's only a few more inches, but what you can do with that space is pretty impressive. Check this out, that's live video that you can take anywhere you want to, and it's got real time customizable stats. Think about that, especially if you're a sports fan. You can't do that on any kind of phone or iPod. Say you're out at dinner, you probably won't be carrying a laptop around with you, but you get a text there's a close game nearing the end, something epic is about to happen. You whip out the iPad and enjoy it along with everyone else who will undoubtedly gather around.

No it's not perfect, it doesn't have a camera, but guess what? It will. You have to think in potentials and not what it has right this second. This, the tablet not just the iPad, is going to be friking huge.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2010, 10:25:05 PM »
As much as I hate bacong and everything he stands for, he's right.

The Ipod might not be innovative in the slightest bit. But they marketed it well, and enough people will buy it. Thus their profits will go up. What else is a company supposed to do? It's not like they haven't made great stuff and will stop making good stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2010, 10:27:56 PM »
I think that if more people say "refine" instead of "innovate" there wouldn't be so much dispute. The tablets have existed for a long time, Apple just made it more appealing in an aesthetic way; which is their strong since the launch of the iPod: refine.

innovate |ˈinəˌvāt|
verb [ intrans. ]
make changes in something established, esp. by introducing new methods, ideas, or products : the company's failure to diversify and innovate competitively.

:P

Anyway, yeah, that's what they did -- but like I said tablets were largely the same computer, just with no keyboard and mouse. The iPad is completely different from that.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2010, 10:28:16 PM »
Also, thanks adami, I hope you don't actually hate me though  :sad:

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2010, 10:28:34 PM »
No it's not perfect, it doesn't have a camera, but guess what? It will. You have to think in potentials and not what it has right this second. This, the tablet not just the iPad, is going to be freaking huge.
Don't forget that the anger many people have as well is because of the lack of features. "It will..." Sure it will, then why buy it now if it seems like a Beta release?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2010, 10:28:43 PM »
I think the size is something that was seriously underestimated. Sure it's only a few more inches, but what you can do with that space is pretty impressive. Check this out, that's live video that you can take anywhere you want to, and it's got real time customizable stats. Think about that, especially if you're a sports fan. You can't do that on any kind of phone or iPod. Say you're out at dinner, you probably won't be carrying a laptop around with you, but you get a text there's a close game nearing the end, something epic is about to happen. You whip out the iPad and enjoy it along with everyone else who will undoubtedly gather around.
Yes, but the only way for you to that is to also pay the $200 MLB.tv package. So there goes $700.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2010, 10:30:46 PM »
Yes, but the only way for you to that is to also pay the $200 MLB.tv package. So there goes $700.
I thought it was only $120. The at-bat app looks pretty cool and it's only $15.

I generally talk in terms of the concept, because I can't afford any of it. :lol

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2010, 10:31:08 PM »
You can pay 15.99 and still get a few live games a day, and free audio for every game. That app is insanely awesome.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2010, 10:31:31 PM »
I thought it was only $120. The at-bat app looks pretty cool and it's only $15.

I generally talk in terms of the concept, because I can't afford any of it. :lol
That app is very cool indeed! I'm seriously thinking about buying it on my Android phone.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2010, 10:33:13 PM »
I understand that totally. I wasn't saying anything about marketing it. I was talking about the product in the world we live in.

But LIKE I SAID -- look at the device as if it exists in a vacuum. Take it on its own merits.

And pretend nothing else exists to compare it to? That right there is a weak argument.

And bacong, this is coming from a person who gets along with everyone else on this forum: you're kind of a dick when debating.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2010, 10:36:32 PM »
You're the one hurling insults bro. I'm not trying to come off as a dick.

Anyway, the "exist in a vacuum" quip isn't quite that literal -- I just meant you know, throw out all your preconceived notions about the product and just judge it on what it does, not on what it doesn't do, especially when it's not particularly trying to do the things people are saying it doesn't do.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2010, 10:37:11 PM »
Protip at DTF: Avoid Ad-hominems.

Make it a protip in life.