Author Topic: Surrounded...  (Read 13728 times)

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
Surrounded...
« on: January 24, 2010, 08:13:13 AM »
I just listen again, this time carefully, to the probably the most under-rated song in I&W.
It's just WOW. As in, it's probably one of the most prog song from DT. Gotta love the lyrics, though I don't really get it. XD
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Surrounded...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 08:15:20 AM »
Definitely a good song, although the reason it seems underrated is because the rest of the album is even more incredible, rather than Surrounded not being liked :tup

Also, I'm interested in hearing why you think it's one of their most prog songs.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 08:18:22 AM »
Definitely a good song, although the reason it seems underrated is because the rest of the album is even more incredible, rather than Surrounded not being liked :tup
You could almost say that it's SURROUNDED by much better songs, right? :neverusethis:

Also, I prefer the piano intro on Live at the Marquee.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 08:18:57 AM »
This is my second favorite song from I&W. I love it

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 08:24:51 AM »
You could almost say that it's SURROUNDED by much better songs, right? :neverusethis:

Also, I prefer the piano intro on Live at the Marquee.

:lolpalm: Terrible.
Personally I prefer the studio version intro to the piano one. I like 80s sounding synths :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:28:17 AM »
Easily in my Top 3 DT songs, along with Learning To Live and Another Day (yes I'm an I&W fanboy).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 08:52:52 AM »
One of my favorite DT songs.

Offline LTE

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 08:58:06 AM »
It's a shame now that DT can't write a short, great song like Surrounded, without having a huge Petrucci/Rudess solo fest.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 09:00:48 AM »
It's a shame now that DT can't write a short, great song like Surrounded, without having a huge Petrucci/Rudess solo fest.

Wither.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 09:01:17 AM »
I also prefer the piano intro on Live in Tokyo, but that's also because it's beautifully setup with the lighting and spotlight on just KM and JLB.  It gives me chills.  But I think the songs really incredible overall.  It has a great build up.  It starts off delicate and beautiful, then has an intense guitar solo and climax, and finishes delicate and beautiful again.  It's a great formula.  The lyrics are really well-done and descriptive too.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 09:15:46 AM »

Wither.
padam-tsj

Offline xeper

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 10:43:38 AM »
Damn fine song. Great solo. One of my favorites on I&W.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 11:15:20 AM »
Probably the catchiest solo Petrucci's ever written, other than maybe One Last Time. Am I the only one that LOVES the Chaos in Motion version, even though I miss the studio solo?

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 11:58:21 AM »

Prophets Of Wahahahahahahahahaha

I can't even fake it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 12:02:22 PM »
It's just WOW. As in, it's probably one of the most prog song from DT. Gotta love the lyrics, though I don't really get it. XD
How is it one of the "most prog" songs from DT?  Also, if you don't get the lyrics, why do you "gotta love" them?

Wither.
This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 12:04:47 PM »
Probably the catchiest solo Petrucci's ever written, other than maybe One Last Time. Am I the only one that LOVES the Chaos in Motion version, even though I miss the studio solo?

you're not alone!

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 12:10:41 PM »
I like 80s sounding synths :lol

Yeah, same here.

I'm kind of on the fence about Surrounded, though; it's a good song, but I find that it lacks some kind of hook that would propel it upwards from the bottom-third of my favourite Dream Theater songs.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 12:12:54 PM »
JLB owns the part before the intro reprise.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »

Wither.
Definitely this.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »
You really think a safe, average ballad like Wither compares to one of the most unique and interesting songs in the DT catalogue?

Offline LTE

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 03:03:12 PM »
You really think a safe, average ballad like Wither compares to one of the most unique and interesting songs in the DT catalogue?

thank you.

I don't hate wither, but it's just kind of a meh ballad with a nice lyrical concept.
Whereas Surrounded has both great lyrics and really inventive instrumental parts.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 03:44:26 PM »

Wither.

As much an advocate I am for 'old DT', I gotta tip my hat to Wither. I think it's a really tasteful and enjoyable song. :hat I'll find myself scanning through iTunes for an album to put on, and I'll just listen to Wither. I don't think it's even close to Surrounded, though.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 04:10:40 PM »
Great song, love the CiM version.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »
Under the means of comparison listed, yes.  I mean, obviously Surrounded is the better song.  But Wither is a great short song without the normal JP/JR histrionics.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 04:26:51 PM »
Under the means of comparison listed, yes.  I mean, obviously Surrounded is the better song.  But Wither is a great short song without the normal JP/JR histrionics.

Well, yeah, they are both short songs without both guitar and key solos, but that is where the comparison end.  "Wither" is a by-the-numbers power ballad (in melody AND in structure), while "Surrounded" has a somewhat unusual structure, given what kind of song it is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 04:30:01 PM »

Well, yeah, they are both short songs without both guitar and key solos, but that is where the comparison end.  "Wither" is a by-the-numbers power ballad (in melody AND in structure), while "Surrounded" has a somewhat unusual structure, given what kind of song it is.
It's "by the numbers" for most other bands, but for DT, it's a stretch.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 07:02:33 PM »
I find Wither a very boring song, actually :-\. At least Surrounded has a lot if intensity to it

Offline LTE

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 07:04:25 PM »
Wither is pretty average by DT standards (not a bad thing), I like the lyrics, but I hate that stereotypical acoustic break with the chorus reprise before the guitar solo, its so mainstream it seems.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 07:17:03 PM »
Surrounded is so strange.  It's like Christmas morning, and then your favorite TV show comes on.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 08:56:07 PM »

Exactly. I wasn't saying it's necessarily better, just that they're capable of writing good short songs and aren't always using long instrumental breaks like some people think. But I didn't mean to start a Wither vs Surrounded debate. Surrounded is a great song, and unique among DT's discography.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Wither is pretty average by DT standards (not a bad thing), I like the lyrics, but I hate that stereotypical acoustic break with the chorus reprise before the guitar solo, its so mainstream it seems.

Yeah, but for a band like Dream Theater, an occasional dapple into the mainstream isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think Wither could've been a good radio hit.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 06:52:43 AM »
Well my point of view of "prog" is something that transcends the original genre. And I think Surrounded is probably one of the most unique and original song from DT. It has various verses, and very complex/unique song structure. Sorry if my definition of prog. :p

About the lyrics, I'll rephrase it to "I love the lyrics" instead of "gotta". Even if I don't get it that much, there's this deep feeling when I read the lyrics, I don't know how to express it though.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline wasp2020

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 02:19:16 PM »
One of the first DT songs I really got into, and still probably my favorite DT songs of all. Very emotional, energetic, uplifting, rocking, and soulful, all in one, it explores so much emotions in such a short song. I love the lyrics, descriptive yet ambiguous and poetic (I posted my interpretation in some old thread I can't find, but basically to me it's about a depressed man who breaks out of his shell when he finds love). The whole 3:35-4:30 section is especially amazing, everything works together for a big climax.
It's also just so damn uplifting, which is my favorite aspect. I&W's sort of brighter sound helped with that. I don't think Surrounded could've been on any other album.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 06:56:51 PM »
One of the first DT songs I really got into, and still probably my favorite DT songs of all. Very emotional, energetic, uplifting, rocking, and soulful, all in one, it explores so much emotions in such a short song. I love the lyrics, descriptive yet ambiguous and poetic (I posted my interpretation in some old thread I can't find, but basically to me it's about a depressed man who breaks out of his shell when he finds love). The whole 3:35-4:30 section is especially amazing, everything works together for a big climax.
It's also just so damn uplifting, which is my favorite aspect. I&W's sort of brighter sound helped with that. I don't think Surrounded could've been on any other album.

I thought Surrounded was about AIDS...

Offline LTE

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 07:23:29 PM »

I thought Surrounded was about AIDS...

me too.