Author Topic: Official (Frank) Zappa Thread  (Read 10590 times)

Offline ShadowWalker

Re: Official (Frank) Zappa Thread
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2021, 08:12:28 AM »
About time we got something from the 88 band.

There are three releases from this band, IIRC...

Offline darkshade

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2021, 01:18:26 PM »

I think he meant posthumously by the ZFT.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2021, 06:15:20 AM »

I think he meant posthumously by the ZFT.

Yeas, that's what I meant. Also nice to see it without a fancy-dress kit in an oversized and overpriced box.

"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2021, 12:24:35 AM »
Saw the movie last weekend. Was v enjoyable.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2021, 08:27:14 PM »
The Alex Winter movie?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2021, 09:05:01 PM »
I bought it on Blu-ray at my last trip to the CD shop. I thought it was really informative and insightful to a point.

But the omissions I thought were very glaring. Ahmet produced The film, but not a single modern interview with any of the kids? None at all? Several of the original mothers have gone on record since Frank‘s passing, but so few of them appeared here. Not a single modern interview with Flo and Eddie?

But on the whole I considered it to be a good overview of the man and his career
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2021, 01:59:06 AM »
Me: "Think I'll spin Hot Rats on this lovely Sunday morning  :hat "

My wife: "God, this music is awful"

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2021, 02:00:39 AM »
Me: "Think I'll spin Hot Rats on this lovely Sunday morning  :hat "

My wife: "God, this music is awful"

:lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2021, 02:13:51 PM »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2021, 11:04:22 AM »
The sound is fantastic, just like the first three '88 Band albums. So great to have this release, the first Zappa album to solely feature this band in 30 years.
The first 3 are near perfect, as they were highly edited by Frank. This is a (mostly) uncut performance so we hear the occasional mistake from band members but generally they really are as tight as you hear on the older albums (and anyone who's ever checked out boots of this band already know)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2021, 08:29:15 AM »
Ahmet announced in a Dutch interview on Zappateers that 3 new releases are coming soon.

200 Motels box set
Bongo Fury box set

The Rage & The Fury (unreleased Frank album from 1993)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2021, 02:35:00 PM »
Not sure about Bongo Fury, but the other two are long overdo. The Rage and the Fury is Varese compositions right?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2021, 03:07:33 AM »
I enjoyed the 1988 show album, but I did feel it wasn't the bast show from the tour that they could have picked to release. The band did rather seem to run out of steam during the covers at the end - I'd have loved it if they'd have found a show with a bit more energy. But let's be honest, when the 88 band were on form, as they were for much of this, they were unstoppable. More please!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline darkshade

« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2021, 11:31:25 AM »
TR&TF is Varese, featuring the Ensemble Modern, (The Yellow Shark, CPIII, and EIHN) not sure if there is any Synclavier. It is the last publicly known album Zappa put together himself completely, that has not had an official release yet.

As far as I'm aware there are no live releases from the Bongo Fury lineup other than tracks that appeared on the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore albums.

I agree that the '88 live album that just came out could have been better if they picked a better show, this is a show I could see them releasing after putting out at least two other killer '88 show. Not to mention, the incomplete track list and the background behind it, is disconcerting. It's also censoring history, something that goes against everything Frank Zappa stands for. Glad to get an official release of a couple of songs not presented on the other 3 official '88 releases, like Pound For A Brown, and just happy we finally got a show released from this tour.

I'm still hoping there's plans to release more of Frank's unreleased music that he was working on in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. There's allegedly hundreds of unreleased compositions in the vault. I do recall that a "Lost Episodes 2" was made known from Travers or Ahmet some time in the past year, I think, as something that would be a release in the future, so hopefully it's twice as long as the first one, and features all kinds of "new" music from Frank. There are many pieces of music from Frank out there floating around on the internet, from various sources, but never officially released on an album. Stuff like, "The Fly": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBjDERuqs-Y

The Rage & The Fury is a good start, and while it is Edgard Varese's music, it's his music that is one of the main ingredients of what makes Zappa's music... Zappa, so to hear how this sounded is something many Zappa fans are eager to hear.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2021, 03:03:19 PM »
Here it comes!
Frank Zappa - 200 Motels 50th Anniversary Edition
https://www.zappa.com/news/200-motels-50th-anniversary-edition-available-november-19-zappa-recordsume

"MONSTROUS COLLECTION BRINGS TOGETHER NEWLY REMASTERED SOUNDTRACK WITH STAGGERING AMOUNT OF UNRELEASED AND RARE MATERIAL UNEARTHED FROM THE VAULT, INCLUDING ORIGINAL DEMOS, STUDIO OUTTAKES, WORK MIXES, INTERVIEWS AND EARLY AUDIO EDIT OF THE FILM.

SOUNDTRACK WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE ON 2LP AND 2CD, AND EVERYTHING WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR STREAMING IN STANDARD AND HI-RES AUDIO..."

200 Motels is one of my least favorite FZ albums, but this is a big deal.
This album's been out of print for a long time, so not only is this a new box set release,
this is also a long-awaited re-issue of the original album, as it appears to be its own release.
If you don't want the big box set, but don't have this album, the 2 CD set is the way to go.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2021, 03:32:10 PM »
I thought the movie was fun, and of course insanely entertaining in that Zappa way.  But I've tired a few times to listen to the soundtrack and found myself wanting to turn it off and just watch the movie.  Or maybe skip watching the movie and do something else.  It's definitely something I have to be in the mood for and, sadly, I'm finding that to be less and less often these days.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2021, 03:39:50 PM »
This is good news for any completionist who doesn't have this album.

I never listen to 200 Motels. If I do, it's because I'm doing a run-through of all his albums or something. I always preferred the alternate versions of the songs here that appear on later albums. The sound quality is also possibly Frank's worst. Apparently the album is remastered, but not sure how much could be done with whatever copy MGM had, which I don't believe was the master reels.

I'm not very much into the Flo n Eddie era either.

The movie was incredibly boring to me, I know it was on Netflix for a while. I'm not sure I've sat through the entire thing beginning to end.