Author Topic: Official (Frank) Zappa Thread  (Read 10589 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Official (Frank) Zappa Thread
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 05:08:26 PM »
Valley Girl has one of the catchiest basslines in the history of music. I don't really care for Hot Rats, but I'm really thinking about Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch. Is the rest of the album as good as Valley Girl?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2010, 06:16:13 PM »
I don't really care for Hot Rats

[size=9]WHAT[/size]

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »
I don't really care for Hot Rats

[size=9]WHAT[/size]

Neither man.  I like Envelopes on SATLTSADW (lol) but haven't given the album a proper listen in a long time.  I'd recommend Zoot Allures, its got a similar feel to ...Witch, IMO.  Black Napkins ftw.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 09:46:32 PM »
Listening to Drowning Witch right now. This may be the greatest song I have ever heard.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2010, 06:41:53 AM »
Frank Zappa is my god. Currently my clan tag on both Modern Warfare's is [FZ4L]. While as a whole, I like His work with The Mothers more than his later material without them, my very favourite albums of His come from that era (i.e Joe's Garage, Apostrophe).

If I ever got a tattoo I would choose the one like on MP's leg.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »
I saw Zappa plays Zappa last night and it was fantastic. The venue was a bit poor, and I really struggled making out some of the higher parts cos it was just so reverby and boomy, but the band was immense and the music was great.
The band started out really good, but kinda got into a rut where they were just playing the songs in the middle. Then a big group of people started dancing down the front and the band got really into it and were given a new lease of life! For the first song in the encore they got all the dancin folk up on stage which was hilarious, particularly the fat guy that kept shakin his booty at everyone!
Really good gig. And a good intro to Zappa's music!
I also saw them on their current tour. Amazing show! I got my ticket stub signed by Dweezil and while he was handing it back to me he slipped in a pick too, which was cool.

can one of you recommend me some Zappa?
I started with One Size Fits All.

Frank Zappa is my god. Currently my clan tag on both Modern Warfare's is [FZ4L]. While as a whole, I like His work with The Mothers more than his later material without them, my very favourite albums of His come from that era (i.e Joe's Garage, Apostrophe).

If I ever got a tattoo I would choose the one like on MP's leg.
I see what you did there :laugh:

And I'd also get one like Mike Portnoy's if I ever got a Zappa tattoo (only one I'm seriously thinking of getting is John Bonhams's trinity symbol on my right shoulder/bicep).

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2010, 05:24:05 PM »
Do a search for "zappa" and this is the first result: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=884.35

:P

Anyway, a huge Zappa lover here but don't have a huge collection. My most recent is Fillmore East 1971 and my friend got me this on vinyl for my birthday: https://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/m-o-p.html#usvinyl
 :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2010, 05:47:36 PM »
Fillmore East 1971 is one of my favorite Zappa/Mothers albums.  I love the whole "storyline" with the guys in the band trying to pick up the groupies.  It's actually based on a true story, too.

Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan, a.k.a. "The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie" a.k.a. "Flo & Eddie" were the lead singers of the 60's band The Turtles, who were known for such hits as "Happy Together".  They joined The Mothers after The Turtles broke up.  After a Mothers show one time, Flo and Eddie were trying to pick up these girls who had been at the show, but they weren't impressed, as it wasn't really their kind of music.  They were more into songs like you'd hear on the radio.  Flo and Eddie said "Hey, we were in The Turtles.  You know the song Happy Together?  We sang that."  But the girls wouldn't believe them unless they actually sang the song for them.  So they did, and everyone got laid that night.  True story.  I love rock and roll.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
Been feeling like Im catching the Zappa bug, as listened to the Yellow Snow suite on Apostrophe(), and listened to the entire Joe's Garage album today. Thought I'd bump this thread to get more pages on this thread. I am about to purge my Zappa collection  :yarr

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 06:45:13 PM »
Purge?  Why?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 07:06:31 PM »
hahaha  :blush i didnt mean purge (does that even make sense, unless i was getting rid of albums i hate?)

i cant recall the word i meant, but i just started to attempt to listen to his discography.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2011, 09:37:20 PM »
Ah, that's a relief.  Maybe you were thinking "plunge" as in "plunge into"

Offline darkshade

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2011, 03:15:38 AM »
Ah, that's a relief.  Maybe you were thinking "plunge" as in "plunge into"

lol yea i think so  :facepalm:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2020, 10:47:31 AM »
This doesn't really have anything to do with Frank Zappa, but I couldn't find a better place to post it.

I just realized that one of the remaining contestants on the current season of American Idol, Sophia Wackerman James, is the daughter of Chad Wackerman, who played drums with Zappa in the 80s and also played with Allan Holdsworth and others of that ilk (she's also the niece of current Avenged Sevenfold drummer Brooks Wackerman).

No, I don't watch AI, but I have been inundated with updates because she graduated from my daughter's high school a few years ago.  Her grandfather was the band director a bunch of years ago, and my daughter tells me that they have a "shrine" to Sophia in the choir room.  I knew the name sounded familiar and finally figured out why.

I watched a couple videos and don't really care for her voice, but it's kinda cool anyway.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline tofee35

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2020, 04:36:06 AM »
Hi all I haven't posted in awhile to DTF, but I've been on a Zappa kick and I have some things I'd like to discuss to those interested:

1. Does anybody know when, where, or how the "ZAPPA" movie by Alex Winter may be consumed? The movie was claimed by COVID early-on, and the internet has swallowed up any updates.

2. Upon discovering all of his discography on Apple Music this year, I can't help but be amazed at all I was missing for the past 17 years since I started listening to him. I've had "Strictly Commercial" and "Joe's Garage" on repeat for most of those years not knowing what I was missing. My favorites in recent years from most to least:

-"Halloween Live at Palladium in 77" : Bozzio is on fire here. I'm a huge metal and rock fan in general. This seems to be the hardest rocking band of his career. There's no better way to end a show than "camarillo Brillo" with that halftime breakdown into Muffin Man.

-You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore Vol. 6": I love this version of the band (78-81?) It has such a different version of the two songs mentioned above with less rock and more humor & reggae.

-"Sheik Yerbouti", "Apostrophe" & "Over-Nite Sensation": I just love them all. There's nothing I can say about them that hasn't already been said in previous Zappa Threads. I'll just leave it at how much I love them. As a drummer, I can really appreciate the compositions and complexity of these albums. So good.

-Tof
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 04:44:59 AM by tofee35 »

Offline Posaune

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2020, 09:31:18 PM »
Any Jazz From Hell fans in this thread? G-Spot Tornado is somewhere in my top 10 songs of all time.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2020, 07:36:53 AM »
The version of G Spot Tornado on The Yellow Shark is truly unbelievable - music that was designed to be unplayable by humans being played by humans. Check out the video on Youtube with the dancers. That YS footage really needs a quality DVD release.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2020, 10:54:59 AM »
Jazz From Hell was the first Zappa CD I ever bought.  I was all vinyl until that point.  I still love it.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2020, 01:50:27 PM »
Jazz From Hell was the first Zappa CD I ever bought.  I was all vinyl until that point.  I still love it.
it's great. So many notes, so complex. Lovely.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline tofee35

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2020, 07:47:40 PM »
It looks like the Frank Zappa movie by Alex Winter will be out on VOD and select Theaters on November 27. Finally! See below from Alex Winter's page. I can't wait.
http://alexwinter.com/film-projects/zappa-movie-to-be-released-by-magnolia-films/

-Tof

Offline darkshade

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2020, 09:02:55 PM »
Any Jazz From Hell fans in this thread? G-Spot Tornado is somewhere in my top 10 songs of all time.

I get down on JFH. I like Dance Me This a lot as well.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2020, 10:27:12 PM »
It looks like the Frank Zappa movie by Alex Winter will be out on VOD and select Theaters on November 27. Finally! See below from Alex Winter's page. I can't wait.
http://alexwinter.com/film-projects/zappa-movie-to-be-released-by-magnolia-films/

-Tof

FINALLY!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2020, 09:22:00 AM »
A Frank Zappa documentary by Bill S. Preston?  Interesting.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2020, 05:57:19 AM »

-Tof

:tup

Offline darkshade

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2020, 04:58:39 PM »
The new Halloween 81 box set is out. I've not been keeping up with all these box sets they keep releasing. That's all they've released since 2016. I applaud the ZFT releasing all this music, more live Zappa is never bad, but where are the unreleased compositions??? There are allegedly hundreds of Zappa tunes that have not been released. I thought they were starting to release more of Frank's unreleased works when they released "Frank Zappa For President" in 2016, which had 3 unreleased "new" tunes, and Dance Me This, which was an album completed in 1992 and released in 2015. There's also an album of Varese compositions recorded at FZ's home studio in the early 90s, called "The Rage and The Fury", which has still yet to be released.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2020, 03:47:52 AM »
The new Halloween 81 box set is out. I've not been keeping up with all these box sets they keep releasing. That's all they've released since 2016. I applaud the ZFT releasing all this music, more live Zappa is never bad, but where are the unreleased compositions??? There are allegedly hundreds of Zappa tunes that have not been released. I thought they were starting to release more of Frank's unreleased works when they released "Frank Zappa For President" in 2016, which had 3 unreleased "new" tunes, and Dance Me This, which was an album completed in 1992 and released in 2015. There's also an album of Varese compositions recorded at FZ's home studio in the early 90s, called "The Rage and The Fury", which has still yet to be released.

I listened to Halloween '81 this weekend (admittedly only about 1/3 of it). The sound quality is great and the band is spot on. This is probably my least favorite version of his band. I think they're better with Ike. The reason I feel that way is that this band is going more vocal and those two improve the band from this version. It doesn't rock as much as Halloween '77, but the playing is more precise (good or bad depending on your preference). It was obvious that he was getting to be more of the band's boss instead of one of the guys. The players were getting younger and he was getting older so it makes sense. I think this was the last Halloween year. IMO, this version of the band only gets better from here in terms of live performances. The playing was very on. I'm especially impressed with Chad on the drums here. I think at this point he had only been in the band for a few months and his playing is reminiscent of what Vinnie was putting out (lots of ghosting and off-beat playing). Perhaps, not as fluid, but who is more fluid than Vinnie? I'm sure this release will grow on me like the other did. It just didn't hit right away.

I didn't know about the unreleased "new" songs. That would be amazing to hear. His family hasn't been shy about releasing archived music. I'm not sure he, himself, would have released the halloweens, for example, in their unedited and raw glory. He seemed to relish in overdubbing, producing and really creating a piece of art from the live material. I'm a big fan of both takes on his live music.

I noticed some tracks from the Dub Room Special soundtrack too. The more I listen, the better it gets. I think each show improves more.

::edited::

-Tof
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 08:02:02 AM by tofee35 »

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2020, 05:04:47 AM »
These Halloween boxsets are over-packaged (I've got nowhere to store them!) and I don't like the way they release a single disc highlights rather than an entire show like they did for the Halloween 77 set. I also agree that if we're going to get later Frank, we'd be better off with stuff from the 84 or 88 tours - I'd love a Roxy-style boxset from the 88 tour.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2020, 12:37:25 PM »

I listened to Halloween '81 this weekend (admittedly only about 1/3 of it). The sound quality is great and the band is spot on. This is probably my least favorite version of his band. I think they're better with Ike. The reason I feel that way is that this band is going more vocal and those two improve the band from this version. It doesn't rock as much as Halloween '77, but the playing is more precise (good or bad depending on your preference). It was obvious that he was getting to be more of the band's boss instead of one of the guys. The players were getting younger and he was getting older so it makes sense. I think this was the last Halloween year. IMO, this version of the band only gets better from here in terms of live performances. The playing was very on. I'm especially impressed with Chad on the drums here. I think at this point he had only been in the band for a few months and his playing is reminiscent of what Vinnie was putting out (lots of ghosting and off-beat playing). Perhaps, not as fluid, but who is more fluid than Vinnie? I'm sure this release will grow on me like the other did. It just didn't hit right away.

I didn't know about the unreleased "new" songs. That would be amazing to hear. His family hasn't been shy about releasing archived music. I'm not sure he, himself, would have released the halloweens, for example, in their unedited and raw glory. He seemed to relish in overdubbing, producing and really creating a piece of art from the live material. I'm a big fan of both takes on his live music.

I noticed some tracks from the Dub Room Special soundtrack too. The more I listen, the better it gets. I think each show improves more.

::edited::

-Tof

There's only been a few releases that feature some of his previously unreleased new music in the last decade. Congress Shall Make No Law (2010), Feeding the Monkies At Maison (2011), Dance Me This (2015), and Frank Zappa For President (2016). Supposedly there's at least a couple hundred unreleased works still in the vault. I would think this would be a priority to release this parallel to the big live releases, and I'm not sure we've gotten a whole lot of info as to why there's not been much released so far.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2020, 01:53:27 PM »
The movie "ZAPPA" by Alex Winter is officially streaming, to rent. It is fantastic. It's definitely produced along the lines of a found footage zappa-directed movie than an album by album, band by band account of the man. There's definitely a character study type of theme to it. I'm happy about that even if they didn't focus on the parts of his bands that I enjoy the most. By the end, I felt extremely sad that he's gone and left wondering what he would have been doing all these years. President Zappa anyone? I'll definitely be re-watching. Anybody see it and have thoughts?

-Tof

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2020, 03:58:22 PM »
Can't find it to rent in the UK yet...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2020, 09:22:17 AM »
I need to watch, I've been on a serious Zappa kick lately, in serious lather, serious chains.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2020, 04:02:03 PM »
Shrink tubing with a hair dryer
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2020, 02:09:46 PM »
It's become somewhat of a tradition to put some FZ on during the Christmas season, particularly during Christmas Eve/Day.
Putting this on, Vinny on drums is always excellent.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2021, 07:44:35 AM »
New ZAPPA release. 88 Band.

https://www.zappa.com/news/frank-zappas-final-american-show-be-released-first-time

About time.

Of course, it isn't the 'complete' show, due to unfortunate in-family politics..

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2021, 05:37:45 AM »
About time we got something from the 88 band.