Author Topic: Dream Theater's Stage Performance?  (Read 14112 times)

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
Re: Dream Theater's Stage Performance?
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2010, 04:20:41 PM »
I think Portnoy, LaBrie, and Rudess have a pretty good stage presence.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline zmazar

• "Ride the wings of dreams."
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2010, 08:26:02 PM »
I've always thought that they put on an amazing show.  I don't think there's anything plain or boring about them at all.  They put a lot of effort in every night, and if the crowd responds they feed off of it even more.  I'm never worried about being disappointed when going to see them live.

If there was a villain who could only be defeated through the sheer awesomeness of music, then rest assured that LTL would be on batman's MP3 utility belt player.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2010, 06:17:48 PM »
Jordan moves around more than any other keyboardist I can think of, Labrie has great stage presence, and Portnoy is always playing around. It is Myung and Petrucci who move around the least, and I can almost forgive that of Myung considering how he generally acts the rest of the time. So in short, the only member I feel should be more active and performing on stage is John Petrucci. Every so often I come across a live video of Myung and Petrucci riffing side by side and I wonder why they don't do that more often.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2010, 07:44:20 PM »
I'm okay with JP's performance as long as he keeps making those funny faces during his leads.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »
I don't know if it's been said yet but I know that MP doesn't throw sticks anymore because someone fell off a tier trying to catch one once and got hurt.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2010, 12:03:08 AM »
I don't know if it's been said yet but I know that MP doesn't throw sticks anymore because someone fell off a tier trying to catch one once and got hurt.

If you're talking about the St. Louis show, which I almost went to, I think it was a drum head.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chagny

« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »
I'm seeing DT in June with Maiden, so it'll be the most black-and-white thing visually.
We'll have DT just standing there, blowing minds.
Then after that we'll have Maiden running the fuck around and blowing minds.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2010, 05:55:05 PM »
I think DT are keeping a very good balance between being spectacular and just focusing on the music. They don't just stand there, they move, James is a very good frontman, JP is mostly focused on playing but he also seems rather energetic, moves around and seems to be in a sort of telepathic contact with the audience :D, JM is rather quiet and focused but that's the way he usually is, Jordan is DEFINITELY someone who really manages to create a little show with what he does, and Mike is also a very energetic drummer and it's really fun to look at him playing.

It's not Rammstein, they don't have fireworks and stuff, but for a band on this level of instrumental complexity, they're doing really well that way. Just like musically, live they are also kind of balanced between prog (the "meditative" approach and focus on music) and metal (energy). Seen them three times, and that's the impression I've always had.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2010, 09:11:44 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2010, 12:08:09 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2010, 06:36:02 AM »
I thought of this old thread while watching DT Saturday night.
I decided to go back and reread my original post..

I've seen a lot of concerts in my life and without question the 2 best live bands I've ever seen are Iron Maiden and Dream Theater.
Dream Theater is a "band" first and foremost. They are not "rock stars" in the Motley Crue sense. They come out and play, and do it better than anyone else.
You go to Dream Theater shows expecting to hear music performed, not to bounce a f##king beachball through the crowd.

While I sat out 2000-2004, I've been seeing DT since 1992 and they have ALWAYS delivered. Only once I had the impression that they were "somewhere else" (Boston 3/30/06), but even the boot of that show still proves that it was an amazing performance.

All things already said are true..MP seems like he's having a party all by himself, JM is very reserved but precise but also very enjoyable to watch, JR is very cool (DT had no greater statue than Kevin Moore).
JLB and JP both really seem to feed off the audience, and I think you can say that about the whole band in general. JLB is NOT Bruce Dickinson..never will be, but I've never had a problem with him on stage. I'm sure it's not easy being the vocalist for this band. I thought it was a tough proposition back in 92.

Dream Theater's Evening With shows are Zepplinesque and the fact that they basically play their entire catalog is quite impressive. I believe the fine art of playing and performing, and holding (my) attention throughout IS the very definition of Stage Presence.

While I still believe everything I wrote, there surely was a fun factor present in Worcester that has been missing from most DT shows. Not that the others weren't fun..I mean, I've maintained that they are a great live band, but this past show felt like a party instead of a concert.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2010, 10:04:11 AM »
The only thing I would say is missing in DT's stage presence is "personability". I always feel there is somewhat of an invisible wall between us and them.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TL

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2010, 11:41:04 AM »
The only thing I would say is missing in DT's stage presence is "personability". I always feel there is somewhat of an invisible wall between us and them.

rumborak

They need that invisible wall to protect the fans when JP goes into killzone mode.

I will say, it really feels like they've improved their stage presence in the past couple years. They were always a great live band, but it really seems like they've kicked it up a notch lately. The show I was at in Montreal back in August last year had a really fun vibe to it.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2010, 11:43:32 AM »
You go to Dream Theater shows expecting to hear music performed, not to bounce a f##king beachball through the crowd.

Hahaha that definitely happened at the Ottawa show. Not that that was the reason I went there (obviously), but we definitely had a couple floating around. And, as someone else already started a thread about, John Myung even got into it.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2010, 12:32:03 PM »
I dunno, bouncing a beachball during a concert sounds pretty kickass to me!  :tup
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline LTE

« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2010, 12:37:30 PM »
I saw them on Prog Nation last year in Boston, and they were perfect playing-wise but they pretty much kept to themselves. I saw them the 10th in Worcester at the Palladium, and you could tell in the small club setting, they loved it! Great energy, looser playing in a good way, they had a ton of fun.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2010, 12:39:26 PM »
I saw them on Prog Nation last year in Boston, and they were perfect playing-wise but they pretty much kept to themselves. I saw them the 10th in Worcester at the Palladium, and you could tell in the small club setting, they loved it! Great energy, looser playing in a good way, they had a ton of fun.

Last year in Boston, I'm not sure JP even looked up at the crowd.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2010, 01:21:09 PM »

Wow, really? He couldn't stop looking at us in Ottawa, making manly/bearly faces all the while. I'm pretty sure I made eye contact with him a couple of times, to be honest.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2010, 01:39:02 PM »
- LaBrie has shown lots of energy on stage.  He's always been a great frontman for DT and an outstanding talent.

- I've always admired Petrucci for his composure.  He doesn't jump around all over the place and why would he?  It's the one's who can't play who jump all over the place.  JP doesn't need to because his playing is all the "show" he needs.  He connects with the audience just fine with his facial expressions and outstanding musical ability.

- Myung is…well you know.  He is the way he is and people except that about him.  He’s a man of few words and a great bass guitar player.  What else is there to say?

- Rudess is a great showman without overdoing it.  He spins his keyboard around, uses body English and facial expressions to interact with the crowd while being an amazing musician.

- Portnoy is one of a kind.  Aside from being one of the best drummers in the world; he gives the most back to his fans than any other musician I’ve ever known.  He is also a great showman and the backbone of DT.

Overall, DT delivers and the fan’s reactions are proof of that.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2010, 01:55:44 PM »
Um... Portnoy is one of the greatest showmen I've ever seen. Seriously, he stands up, he sits down, he throws his sticks around, he spits, he makes faces and shouts stuff at the audience, he's freakin' amazing and all that from behind the tether of a drumkit. Every single time I've seen DT live, his passion and enthusiasm and talent has been so visible it's given me spine tingles. He's incredible.

LaBrie doesn't seem particularly natural but he puts the effort in, as for the other guys I don't expect anything from Myung, Rudess always seems awesome and like he does the best he can while being stuck to a keyboard (and is good with the keytar) and I'm too busy watching Petrucci's hands to really notice what else he's doing. They're not the greatest band for putting on an amazing 'show' but I love watching them more than any other band out there.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2010, 04:52:18 PM »
- I've always admired Petrucci for his composure.  He doesn't jump around all over the place and why would he?  It's the one's who can't play who jump all over the place.  JP doesn't need to because his playing is all the "show" he needs.  He connects with the audience just fine with his facial expressions and outstanding musical ability.
Comments like these are why people bash prog fans. There's nothing wrong with jumping up and down on stage. Every note does not need to be played perfectly for it to be enjoyable. Its nice to see the band into it, that's all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2010, 05:13:19 PM »
He never said there was anything wrong with jumping up and down on stage.  People bash prog fans because people is ignorant.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2010, 05:19:20 PM »
He never said there was anything wrong with jumping up and down on stage.  People bash prog fans because people is ignorant.
He said the ones that jump all over the place can't play.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »
No, he said the ones who can't play are the ones who jump around.  Although those two points sound similar, they mean quite different things.  And besides, it's called hyperbole.  He was making a generalization, not making a blanket assertion of fact.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »

Of the 115 pictures I took at that show, JP is looking up in one of them. One.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2010, 06:34:28 PM »

Of the 115 pictures I took at that show, JP is looking up in one of them. One.
Yeah, I wasn't complaining. At the '07 show at The Pavillion, he was much more animated to the crowd. Last year, he was really focused on his instrument and gear. We were front row dead center and he just didn't look happy..perhaps with his sound or something.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2010, 06:52:06 PM »
At Bluesfest, they were pretty animated. The 4 four guys were working hard to entertain the Maiden fans, and JM just did his thing.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »
Comments like these are why people bash prog fans. There's nothing wrong with jumping up and down on stage. Every note does not need to be played perfectly for it to be enjoyable. Its nice to see the band into it, that's all.
DT's music lends itself to a bit of precision.  If Petrucci started to jump around all over the place, he would screw up a LOT.  It would also be fake as hell, since it obviously isn't in his nature to do it.

If I want to see a sloppy-ass metal band jumping around all over the place, I would go see one - I I wouldn't go see DT.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2010, 02:52:42 AM »
JP used to jump a lot when he was young, and there was no mistake in his playing. Well of course age is a factor, but I don't think JP can't manage to move around while playing songs like, Root of All Evil or The Mirror (relatively easy).

So I think it's more of a personality factor.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2010, 04:50:47 AM »
He's bulkier now.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2010, 07:23:57 AM »
Anyone else notice that when JR isn't playing for a minute or so he stands there and snaps his fingers to the beat?

I always lol at that. Imagine if any other member of any other metal band stood there and snapped their fingers to the beat anytime they had a minute.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2010, 08:23:07 AM »
Now that JMX (What does the X stand for?! :S) has kicked a beach ball, they all got great stage presence.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2010, 08:27:47 AM »
The X stands for everything and nothing. Remember that.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2010, 08:29:31 AM »
hmm, interesting...John Myung XTREME!!!  :metal