Author Topic: Dream Theater's Stage Performance?  (Read 14116 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Dream Theater's Stage Performance?
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 09:31:08 AM »
Mike looks like he's in his bedroom playing drums.
:lol Very True

For the most part, I agree with Samsara and rumby.  But, interestingly, Mike and Jordan are far more animated than your average drummer and keyboard player.  It's just that the more "up front" players aren't as animated as their typical rock/metal counterparts.

Also very true.

And there's no beating Iron Maiden.  Ever.

No question.

I've seen a lot of concerts in my life and without question the 2 best live bands I've ever seen are Iron Maiden and Dream Theater.
Dream Theater is a "band" first and foremost. They are not "rock stars" in the Motley Crue sense. They come out and play, and do it better than anyone else.
You go to Dream Theater shows expecting to hear music performed, not to bounce a f##king beachball through the crowd.

While I sat out 2000-2004, I've been seeing DT since 1992 and they have ALWAYS delivered. Only once I had the impression that they were "somewhere else" (Boston 3/30/06), but even the boot of that show still proves that it was an amazing performance.

All things already said are true..MP seems like he's having a party all by himself, JM is very reserved but precise but also very enjoyable to watch, JR is very cool (DT had no greater statue than Kevin Moore).
JLB and JP both really seem to feed off the audience, and I think you can say that about the whole band in general. JLB is NOT Bruce Dickinson..never will be, but I've never had a problem with him on stage. I'm sure it's not easy being the vocalist for this band. I thought it was a tough proposition back in 92.

Dream Theater's Evening With shows are Zepplinesque and the fact that they basically play their entire catalog is quite impressive. I believe the fine art of playing and performing, and holding (my) attention throughout IS the very definition of Stage Presence.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 09:33:59 AM »
well said, TAC

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »
I think there's something wrong with your showmanship if the drummer of your band has the best stage presence.

That says a lot more about now animated the drummer is, rather than making a comment on the rest of the band.

I agree, it does.  MP has by far the best stage presence of any drummer I've seen.  But the fact remains that if your most energetic member on stage is the one stuck behind the walls of drums, that doesn't reflect well on the energy of the rest of the band.  Also, considering that JR is the next most, and he's usually stuck behind keyboards isn't a great reflection either.  Actually, the reason I like his use of the Zen Riffer has less to do with the actual sound of it than it's just good to see JR get out on stage and interact with the crowd.

Maiden easily take the cake in terms of stage presence for me.  It doesn't even need explaining.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 09:42:35 AM »
I think DT's stage presence is fine considering what they hell they are playing every night.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 10:19:57 AM »
I think DT's stage presence is fine considering what they hell they are playing every night.

I definitely side with hef on this one. I think Petrucci could sometimes act a bit more inspired, but otherwise, they're fine. I'd rather see a solid performance musically than watch a band make a bunch of mistakes because the guitarist is playing a riff behind his back.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »
(DT had no greater statue than Kevin Moore)

This thread is now about Kevin Moore

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 11:24:42 AM »

Nah c'mon..I wasn't saying that..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 11:43:12 AM »

Nah c'mon..I wasn't saying that..

Too late :biggrin:

Kevin Moore's lack of performance onstage annoyed John Petrucci so much that he had to work out to keep from strangling him.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 06:09:46 PM »
Well, you may be right in one part. Petrucci isn't very passionate when palying guitar, he's actually very distant. Mike is always the most passionate on the band and has always been this way (At least since I saw Live in Tokyo). John Myung has always been John Myung, so we can't complain nor flatter.... You know, because he's John Myung. But seriously, how can you say Jordan isn't emotive when...
(DT had no greater statue than Kevin Moore).
Right! Kevin Moore was like Petruccix10000 in terms of connecting with the public (Goddamit, it seems that all roads always end up leading to Kevin Moore). Jordan always tries to get closer to them, and as I suppose you may know, he films ALL the concert endings, even the mid-times in some cases. As for James... Well, I miss the times like in LiT 93 or 5YiaL when he wailed around the stage ("There's a Court Jester Dancing Across the Stage!!!! :rollin ") instead of just going backstage and Dissappear. On the other hand he still cheers up the crowd and even though he's not as... "active" as he used to be, he still tries to get closer to the public.

But anyway, I can't complain. They kick ass live, even though I haven't gone to a live show (And that reminds me they're not going to be this year here in Colombia, which sucks a lot  >:( :censored >:( :censored :angry: :sad:) And even though they may seem distant, the music they play just seems to make that fact... Irrelevant, at least for me.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 06:47:15 PM »
But anyway, I can't complain. They kick ass live, even though I haven't gone to a live show (And that reminds me they're not going to be this year here in Colombia, which sucks a lot  >:( :censored >:( :censored :angry: :sad:) And even though they may seem distant, the music they play just seems to make that fact... Irrelevant, at least for me.
Llevo aquí dos años y ud es el tercer colombiano en aparecer por acá.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2010, 07:00:21 PM »
But anyway, I can't complain. They kick ass live, even though I haven't gone to a live show (And that reminds me they're not going to be this year here in Colombia, which sucks a lot  >:( :censored >:( :censored :angry: :sad:) And even though they may seem distant, the music they play just seems to make that fact... Irrelevant, at least for me.
Llevo aquí dos años y ud es el tercer colombiano en aparecer por acá.
Vea pues, emindead colombiano??? Al parecer es cierto el dicho aquél que estamos en todas partes del mundo...  :rollin

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2010, 07:15:14 PM »
Somos una semillita bien esparcida.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2010, 08:07:24 PM »
The DT members are old as fuck playing some of the hardest music in the world. I cut them a little slack.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2010, 08:23:31 PM »
The DT members are old as fuck playing some of the hardest music in the world. I cut them a little slack.

Ok.  A couple issues here.  First off, Petrucci doesn't age.  Secondly, Ruddess... Jewish?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2010, 09:55:53 PM »
Rudess is bald.
Being bald means being wise.
Buddha is wise.
Rudess is Budha.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2010, 11:30:16 PM »
Rudess is bald.
Buddha is wise.
Rudess is Budha.

I think Socrates might disagree with that.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2010, 11:34:48 PM »
Rudess is bald.
Buddha is wise.
Rudess is Budha.

Socrates never wore a wizard hat, so he's clearly wrong.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2010, 11:42:07 PM »
Rudess is bald.
Buddha is wise.
Rudess is Budha.

How do you know?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2010, 11:46:02 PM »
Rudess is bald.
Buddha is wise.
Rudess is Budha.

How do you know?

Well I suppose a wizard hat is a bit more difficult to sculpt because of the thin protruding sections, so representations we have of him may not be entirely accurate. Criticism noted.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2010, 11:47:53 PM »
Rudess is bald.
Buddha is wise.
Rudess is Budha.

How do you know?

Well I suppose a wizard hat is a bit more difficult to sculpt because of the thin protruding sections, so representations we have of him may not be entirely accurate. Criticism noted.

Plus, with a sculpture, I think the focus would be more on his face than his headly garments.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2010, 06:49:11 AM »
Rudess is bald.
Buddha is wise.
Rudess is Budha.
Does that mean I am Buddha?

Well, maybe.  Can't find the pic right now, but I'm pretty sure that veronica made it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2010, 06:05:23 PM »
For the most part, I love the way they carry themselves on the stage. I've watched every behind the scenes clip and all the dvd extras a million times, so I feel like I personally know them, and just to see them up close doing what they do is a real treat for me. The only complaint I had this last time at the Tower Theater was JP, but in some ways his behavior was justifiable. I know he never sees his family, and they must have been on the side of the stage. It was like he was playing to THEM all night, and the audience got next to no attention from him. Sort of bummed me out, but at the same time, I was in a successful band before and I know what it's like to be away from your family most of the time.
But yeah, I'm happy with what they do. If I was going to a Poison concert or something like that, I would want more of a 'show', but that's not really what I go to a DT show for.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2010, 10:09:59 PM »
For the most part, I love the way they carry themselves on the stage. I've watched every behind the scenes clip and all the dvd extras a million times, so I feel like I personally know them, and just to see them up close doing what they do is a real treat for me. The only complaint I had this last time at the Tower Theater was JP, but in some ways his behavior was justifiable. I know he never sees his family, and they must have been on the side of the stage. It was like he was playing to THEM all night, and the audience got next to no attention from him. Sort of bummed me out, but at the same time, I was in a successful band before and I know what it's like to be away from your family most of the time.
But yeah, I'm happy with what they do. If I was going to a Poison concert or something like that, I would want more of a 'show', but that's not really what I go to a DT show for.

That's pretty immature, but SWEET.  :)
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2010, 06:42:41 AM »
What do you mean, noob?
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2010, 09:59:06 AM »

Ok.  A couple issues here.  First off, Petrucci doesn't age.  Secondly, Ruddess... Jewish?

Not gonna lie, this is hysterical.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2010, 10:49:42 AM »
I can't believe people are saying that JM has always been this unanimated on stage. Haven't you guys seen (at least videos of) him from the older days? He was totally into it and you could just feel that he wanted to be up there. Not saying that he doesn't like performing anymore, but it's nice to actually KNOW that the performers like being there.

JP does play hard shit, but there are other guitarists like Vai that play challenging guitar stuff yet look very interesting on stage. I guess it's just unfortunate that the foreground members of DT (JM and JP) aren't really all that interesting to watch compared to the backgrounders (MP and JR). Pain of Salvation's keyboardist and drummer look pretty non-existent on stage, but the three guys at the front just look like they are having so much fun. Their fill-in bassist interacts with the audience more in 45 minutes than JLB does in 2 hours!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2010, 08:19:03 PM »
Even in the old says though, JM was never running around. He still stood there, but he got into it a lot more with his head and body movement. But he stopped doing that fairly early on, so it's mostly true to say he's always been like this. But the last tour he looked like he was trying to be more animated on stage and was headbanging a bit, and really seemed like he'd taken notice of what people had said about his stage presence and trying to let loose a bit more (in relative terms of course). But he's always been introverted, so I've never taken his lack of movement to mean that he's lost interest.

As for JP, I sometimes wonder if he can move at all with those damn muscles. :lol
But even a fat Yngwie always managed a scissor kick in leather pants, so there's no excuse.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2010, 11:53:07 PM »
But he's always been introverted, so I've never taken his lack of movement to mean that he's lost interest.

Oh, I know he's still interested, but I'm saying that many people that are not familiar with DT might feel like he's totally not into it at all.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2010, 01:59:35 AM »
But he's always been introverted, so I've never taken his lack of movement to mean that he's lost interest.

Oh, I know he's still interested, but I'm saying that many people that are not familiar with DT might feel like he's totally not into it at all.

Well that I can certainly understand. You wouldn't expect someone who spends so much time on stage to be so shy.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2010, 12:41:45 PM »
I have no issues with their stage performance.  JLB sings his heart out.  JP and JM are too busy shredding for anything alse.  MP, can't see him behind the drums.  And who the hell watches a keyboard player at live shows anyway. :biggrin:

Seriously, though.  Every time I have seen them, my eyes are closed and my heads-a-banging, and my souls being lifted to ecstasy, and in that respect, they do it as good as any.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2010, 01:39:56 PM »
I have no issues with their stage performance.  JLB sings his heart out.  JP and JM are too busy shredding for anything alse.  MP, can't see him behind the drums.  And who the hell watches a keyboard player at live shows anyway. :biggrin:

It's weird to think about a bassist shredding.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2010, 01:55:18 PM »

Well, his fingers are shredding, at least. :\

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2010, 02:46:16 PM »

Well, his fingers are shredding, at least. :\

:lolpalm:

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2010, 02:28:01 PM »
*Reviving the thread*
I've been watching DT's last leg shows in South America and I see JLB is a lot colder nowadays in his stage performance. I know it would be ridiculous to expect a 47-year old man to dance across the stage like he did back in 1992-93, but at least he seemed to be very happy and animated in LFSNY without dancing or sime kind of that stuff, same with Score. Now we see him only in the singing part of the songs, unlike the other live shows where he at least played tambourines. Why do you think this is happening with him?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2010, 04:01:12 PM »
He only does percussion stuff (shakers, tambourines) if his non-singing time is relatively short.  He has always exited the stage for extended instrumental breaks.