Author Topic: what song are you currently working on?  (Read 43594 times)

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
Re: what song are you currently working on?
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 12:10:56 PM »
Muse- Knights of Cydonia on the drums.

Me and my 2 other buddies are going to play some muse covers tomorrow at a party that im going to have. Sure Muse is simple at times but its fun to play and im not really a great musician i just like to play songs that i can and that i like. 

Offline Valdor

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 12:44:51 PM »
I'm planning on learning Clair de Lune by Debussy, for the piano of course.
Has anyone played this piece? How difficult is it to play?
Surely one day they'll work out it would be simpler and far more legal just to suckle on each others' teats in a kind of wonderful 69 of eternal calcium goodness.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 01:10:19 PM »
Working on the first half of The Count of Tuscany on bass.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Isolde

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 03:15:09 PM »
I'm currently working on Fur Elise on Piano. It's going well. Has anyone ever mastered this and performed it? If so, How did it go?

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2009, 12:02:08 PM »
I misinterpreted the thread title when I first read it but I'm posting based on that misinterpretation instead:

I'm currently working on a song to which I have assigned the working title 'Lightfire'. I write all of the music for my band, and Lightfire is the second-last track (7th of 8) to be written for the album we hope to record over the summer. While I write the majority of the lyrics, our bassist composed the lyrics for this song. Our drummer (setrataeso) has also contributed some lyrics.

writing your own stuff is where the true learning comes from  :tup

Especially when you're writing for a bunch of instruments you don't even play. :facepalm:

Yeah, but I usually look over the bass line.
And you never need to worry about drum lines for me. I fix them up in the end.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2009, 12:19:36 PM »
Yeah, I know. :tup
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2009, 08:20:19 PM »
Working on Metropolis Pt 1 on guitar.  Up to the first Guitar/Keys unison.  Trying to get it all alternate picking and up to speed so its taking me a while.  Love it.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2009, 09:28:01 PM »
I have several, all on bass:

Queen-Another One Bites the Dust.  Not too bad.  Just need to work on making it smoother.
Coheed and Cambria-Blood Red Summer.  Another easy one.
Coheed and Cambria-Devil in Jersey City.  Mostly easy with some difficult bits to work on.
Rush-Limelight.  Not too difficult, not too easy, some parts in the solo/near the end giving me trouble, but I'm having loads of fun with it.

Iron Maiden-Aces High.  Told I should learn this from one of my friends (who knows it on guitar and thinks we should combine talents).  Obviously, its hard, but not devilishly hard.  Hope to actually seriously try it in a month or so.
Rush-Cygnus X-1.  Just doing the instrumental intro for fun sometimes.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2009, 10:47:25 PM »
I'm working on both Erotomania and Scarred, on the guitar.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2009, 12:23:26 AM »
I'm working on both Erotomania and Scarred, on the guitar.

I tried Erotomania a few years back but I couldn't quite manage all of it. Perhaps when my band has finished recording I'll give it another go.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2009, 03:22:37 AM »
I'm fidgeting through Iced Earth's "Something Wicked This Way Comes" album. Just learning all the songs. It's not necessarily the most technically productive or difficult material to work on (not all easy either), but just sounds kick ass and fun to play along with. I also spent a good deal of time tweaking, and got a pretty nice crunchy Schaffer-ish tone.  :azn:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2009, 07:34:58 PM »
Working on Metropolis Pt 1 on guitar.  Up to the first Guitar/Keys unison.  Trying to get it all alternate picking and up to speed so its taking me a while.  Love it.
Do hammer-ons. It's 500 times easier than string skipping while alternate picking. Plus, if you're not playing along with the song it sounds a lot smoother, and it almost sounds like the keys are backing it up too.

Just wait until you get to the big final unison part. You'll wish you were never born.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2009, 07:38:23 PM »
Do hammer-ons. It's 500 times easier than string skipping while alternate picking. Plus, if you're not playing along with the song it sounds a lot smoother, and it almost sounds like the keys are backing it up too.

Just wait until you get to the big final unison part. You'll wish you were never born.

Yeah I noticed that you were playing it hammer-ons too.  I figure it'll be a nice challenge at some point to do it all alternate, but i might just do it hammer-ons for the sake of progressing through the song.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2009, 07:39:45 PM »
Working on Metropolis Pt 1 on guitar.  Up to the first Guitar/Keys unison.  Trying to get it all alternate picking and up to speed so its taking me a while.  Love it.

Yeah I noticed that you were playing it hammer-ons too.  I figure it'll be a nice challenge at some point to do it all alternate, but i might just do it hammer-ons for the sake of progressing through the song.
That's exactly what I did.  :-[

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2009, 07:40:59 PM »
Working on Metropolis Pt 1 on guitar.  Up to the first Guitar/Keys unison.  Trying to get it all alternate picking and up to speed so its taking me a while.  Love it.

Yeah I noticed that you were playing it hammer-ons too.  I figure it'll be a nice challenge at some point to do it all alternate, but i might just do it hammer-ons for the sake of progressing through the song.
That's exactly what I did.  :-[

Edit:  I meant that I was gonna take your advice :tup

:lol Have you tried going back and doing alternates?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2009, 07:43:49 PM »

Yeah I noticed that you were playing it hammer-ons too.  I figure it'll be a nice challenge at some point to do it all alternate, but i might just do it hammer-ons for the sake of progressing through the song.
That's exactly what I did.  :-[

:lol Have you tried going back and doing alternates?
I have, but I don't have much motivation to keep trying. If I can do it with hammer-ons then I don't see any reason to change the way I play it. Unfortunately with the final unison, there's no way around it. You have to either downpick it all extremely fast, (which I might have done. Haven't watched the video in ages.) or suck it up and put forth the extreme effort of learning how to do alternate picking with it.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2009, 08:16:09 PM »
are you guys talking about the part where they usually brake live. the last part of the instrumental. or right after the bass solo.

the last part of the instrumental is much easier for me(not perfect) compared to other spots in the song

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2009, 08:19:10 PM »
I'm stuck on the first guitar/keys unison but I think Ultimetalhead is referring to the part after the bass solo... not sure where the live break part is.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2009, 08:23:18 PM »
I'm stuck on the first guitar/keys unison but I think Ultimetalhead is referring to the part after the bass solo... not sure where the live break part is.
I was referring to the big finale of the instrumental break. It's right before the clean part and the "Before the leaves have fallen". The part after the bass solo is a bitch as well.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2009, 08:28:02 PM »
Ah yes I know which part you mean, the bu-du-lu-BEH-bu-du-lu-BEH-bu-du-lu-BEH-bu-du-lu-BEH bu-du-lu-BEWAAAAOOOH*pinch harmonic*

:neverusethis:

Offline Napster of Puppets

• Napster! Napster!
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2009, 08:32:08 PM »
I'm trying to figure out the instrumental section of King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man on the bass. I'm doing it slowly, though, as it is really easy to get lost when playing it and can also get frustrating when trying to figure it out.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2009, 08:53:30 PM »
Can a mod move this to the Musician's board?

Anyway, I finally perfected A Rite of Passage and Lines in the Sand. I'm looking to start working on The Count of Tuscany now

The count of tuscany is fairly easy on bass except for the unison part. And even then, once you learn it, it's just a matter of getting it up to speed.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2009, 10:16:44 PM »
I feel like learning Strange Deja Vu.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2009, 12:11:21 AM »
That song is easy as hell, especially if you're referring to guitar.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2009, 12:56:21 AM »

That's nice to know (not). I don't care how hard or easy something is. And yes, I am referring to guitar.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2009, 01:01:05 PM »

That's nice to know (not). I don't care how hard or easy something is. And yes, I am referring to guitar.
Geez, man. I'm not trying to attack you. Just because it's an easy song doesn't mean it's not worth learning. Hell, I learned Wedding Nails last night. Both fun, easy songs.  :tup

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2009, 01:23:32 PM »

Anyway, I finally perfected A Rite of Passage and Lines in the Sand. I'm looking to start working on The Count of Tuscany now

The count of tuscany is fairly easy on bass except for the unison part. And even then, once you learn it, it's just a matter of getting it up to speed.

Yea it is kinda easy. I've been practicing the unison, so hopefully it'll be up to speed soon. And I took a look at the music for The Shattered Fortress, and it looks hard as hell, given how fast it's supposed to be played.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2009, 02:10:42 PM »

Geez, man. I'm not trying to attack you. Just because it's an easy song doesn't mean it's not worth learning. Hell, I learned Wedding Nails last night. Both fun, easy songs.  :tup

Alright, cool. It's just you're the second person mentioning about a song being easy.

Someone in my "Count of Tuscany Cover" thread said something like "It's pretty easy for Dream Theater, so you won't get much praise..."

That's fail right there.  :facepalm:

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2009, 03:36:48 PM »

Yea it is kinda easy. I've been practicing the unison, so hopefully it'll be up to speed soon. And I took a look at the music for The Shattered Fortress, and it looks hard as hell, given how fast it's supposed to be played.

I had the upper hand learning TSF, only because I know all of the other 12 Step songs. I basically had to learn the intro, the outro, and the arrangement hah

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2009, 04:02:05 PM »

I had the upper hand learning TSF, only because I know all of the other 12 Step songs. I basically had to learn the intro, the outro, and the arrangement hah

Yea the only one I really know is The Root of All Evil. I know bits and pieces of the others though.

I'm looking at DT songs I haven't learned but want to, and Trial of Tears is at the top of the list, but I can't find any music for it. Strange. I also would like to learn Home, A Change of Seasons (I don't know why I haven't tried yet), New Millennium, The Ministry of Lost Souls, and  A Fortune in Lies

Oh, and I just learned Blind Faith also. I love playing that one

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2009, 05:21:28 PM »
So I looked at Wrathchild and started messing with that today.  Lot of fun on the bass.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2009, 07:05:06 PM »
So I looked at Wrathchild and started messing with that today.  Lot of fun on the bass.
That is one of the 5 or so things I know on bass. It's a ton of fun on guitar too with all those guitar fills.  :metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2009, 07:19:36 AM »
Right now, learning ITNOG solo, TTTSTA solo, TGP solos. Wicked fast those things.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MS394

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2009, 09:56:35 PM »
I tried learning Stevie Ray Vaughan´s ``Riviera Paradise´´ on guitar but I gave up. Too much complex chords for me  :lol.

So now I´m learning Rick Astley ``Never Gonna Give You Up´´ to motivate myself to don´t give up. And also for the lulz.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2009, 11:53:41 PM »
working on dance of eternity on drums.  and voices and space dye es ton keyboard.  also working my way around milliontown by frost, but not even close.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!