Author Topic: what song are you currently working on?  (Read 43595 times)

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
what song are you currently working on?
« on: May 16, 2009, 06:04:49 PM »
this is a thread for you to post what songs and on what instrument you are currently working on.  Just to share  your progress, and even ask for tips if there is a part you don't get
post the band and song you are playing, and on what instrument, then write whatever you want after.

I am currently working on in the name of god [dream theater of course] on the drums.  I have all of it done up until 5:30 pretty good [only been playing this song for one day]  I am just a fast learner I guess, lol.
Anyways, does anyone know how to play the part on the toms after that?  I am having trouble, and I ca't hear what he is playing on that part.  And i can't even see what he is playing in his video because he is blocking the view.  So, tell me if you have any suggestions for the song after  5:30.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
Re: what song are you currently working on?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 06:14:36 PM »
right now i've spent a couple hours on Funeral for a Friend by Elton John on piano. I love it. other than that for bass in school i just have to get down Satisfaction by the Stones and Long Tall Sally by Little Richard for Tuesday.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 06:20:15 PM »
@icysk8r: I bet there are videos on YouTube where MP plays ITNOG entirely with a high camer so you can watch what he's doing. Or you could also buy his drumming DVD's :biggrin:

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 07:24:29 PM »
@icysk8r: I bet there are videos on YouTube where MP plays ITNOG entirely with a high camer so you can watch what he's doing. Or you could also buy his drumming DVD's :biggrin:

the only one of him playing was on the side, and it was from his dvd.  :-[  so, I am out of luck.  The only other person I culd look to would be gspot27, but he doesn't have itnog recorded.  :tdwn
www.bedeceived.com

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 07:43:57 PM »
I'm currently working on Erotomania (Dream Theater) on bass since my band is working on a cover of that song. I love it and i don't necessarily have any problems with playing it.

Anyways, does anyone know how to play the part on the toms after that?  I am having trouble, and I ca't hear what he is playing on that part.  And i can't even see what he is playing in his video because he is blocking the view.  So, tell me if you have any suggestions for the song after  5:30.

Right at the beginning of that section of the Budokan DVD, you really see what he's playing with the camera at his left side and a little bit behind him since he has the part of his set in the way.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline bob

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 07:44:32 PM »
I'm working on a rhapsody in the key of G on my banjo/guitar. I feel as if I'm about half way through it. In terms of other peoples music I'm currently trying to record a version of Blend by Sandy Bull
I bet in hell all the toilet rolls are down the wall....... AND YOU CAN"T CHANGE IT.

BCSL is secretly a concept album about indefinite articles.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »
I figured out what I can do.  I am going to use his drums only video of this.  It is just so hard because his hand move so fast

EDIT: damn, shouldn't have said the last part.  acidrain is going to post next...
www.bedeceived.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 08:15:06 PM »
Almost done perfecting Quotes by dredg, it's not hard but some parts are a little tricky, and it's hard to get it sounding right.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 08:29:38 PM »
Behind Blue Eyes by The Who. I have it down perfectly on guitar, I'm just learning how to sing while playing it now.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 10:27:01 PM »
Starting today, working my way through the "The Spirit Carries On" solo. Fucking HELL. I'm not a very proficient guitarist when it comes to speed picking, so it's been taking me a while to get to speeds remotely close to the actual tempo. I don't know why I'm working on something that's so far above my skill level, because I always give up when I do! :P

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 10:46:33 PM »
Starting today, working my way through the "The Spirit Carries On" solo. Fucking HELL. I'm not a very proficient guitarist when it comes to speed picking, so it's been taking me a while to get to speeds remotely close to the actual tempo. I don't know why I'm working on something that's so far above my skill level, because I always give up when I do! :P

i find doing that really helps, you have to challenge yourself to get further.

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 10:48:54 PM »
This is true, but there are easier things out there that would still be far above my skill level.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »
I misinterpreted the thread title when I first read it but I'm posting based on that misinterpretation instead:

I'm currently working on a song to which I have assigned the working title 'Lightfire'. I write all of the music for my band, and Lightfire is the second-last track (7th of 8) to be written for the album we hope to record over the summer. While I write the majority of the lyrics, our bassist composed the lyrics for this song. Our drummer (setrataeso) has also contributed some lyrics.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 11:44:17 PM »
I misinterpreted the thread title when I first read it but I'm posting based on that misinterpretation instead:

I'm currently working on a song to which I have assigned the working title 'Lightfire'. I write all of the music for my band, and Lightfire is the second-last track (7th of 8) to be written for the album we hope to record over the summer. While I write the majority of the lyrics, our bassist composed the lyrics for this song. Our drummer (setrataeso) has also contributed some lyrics.

writing your own stuff is where the true learning comes from  :tup

Offline Silent Voice

• DT.net Member
  • Evil Scotsman
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 04:19:15 AM »
Tom Sawyer on bass at the moment ... progress is pretty slow cos I'm not very talented :P
Living twice at once you learn, you're safe from pain in the dream domain ... a soul set free to fly

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 04:45:43 AM »
Tom Sawyer on bass at the moment ... progress is pretty slow cos I'm not very talented :P

i for one do not believe in talent, just a great disposition to learning things quicker. give it time, and make sure you play it right, and you play it like you own it.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 09:50:38 AM »

Especially when you're writing for a bunch of instruments you don't even play. :facepalm:
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 11:00:02 AM »

Especially when you're writing for a bunch of instruments you don't even play. :facepalm:
I write my own stuff too.  I have 4/7 tracks done for an album title "serenity of a dream".  I played all the demo instruments with a keyboard and electronic drumset.  When i re-record the actual songs, I am using all real instruments.  Too bad the only guitarist I have is mediocre...  But, I guess my stuff isn't too had, and he can record in parts....
www.bedeceived.com

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
I'm a guitarist and I'm going through a DT phase (for obvious reasons) and have been playing Voices for a while, though I obviously cant nail the solo.
I'm pretty close to getting Erotomania though.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 01:33:05 PM »
Just going through the Alestorm discography in sequence. Only just started, so I only have Over the Seas and Captain Morgan's Revenge down at the moment. :yarr
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »
Currently learning Lines in the Sand on bass.

I can't find music that has the harmonics though

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 02:01:46 PM »
Currently learning Lines in the Sand on bass.

I can't find music that has the harmonics though

if i knew them i'd tell ya, never learned that part.  :facepalm:

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »
I was working on in the name of god.  I was just about to learn the part I have been dreading.  and what happens? My snare won't turn off completely. and it sounded like the snares were snagged on something.  I turn my snare over and what do I find?  A huge hold in my snare head, and it was snagged on the snares and thats why they weren't turning off. So I am not left with a broken bottom SNARE head,  and It is sunday.  no stores open.   >:( :censored >:(
www.bedeceived.com

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
I'm also learning Blind Faith. It's really fun to play so far

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 02:45:48 PM »
It is just so hard because his hand move so fast
That's
what
she
said.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »
I have been learning Stream of Consciousness (by DT). I am mainly just hung up on parts of the solos. And I just put higher gauge strings on my guitar, so it's taking a bit longer to adapt.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 03:45:30 PM »
I am going to re-learn the entire Maiden catologue on guitar and include the solos this time.  For fun.  Maybe just doing Adrians guitar.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 10:23:50 PM »
I am going to re-learn the entire Maiden catologue on guitar and include the solos this time.  For fun.  Maybe just doing Adrians guitar.

That's a huge task to take on but I commend you for being so bold. Keep us posted on how that goes.

Offline Piolo

• Suffering the SDV Syndrome
  • The Piolo Strikes Back
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 10:27:34 PM »
In Tears by Rush, in guitar, i play bass but this is a beatiful guitar song, chords make my hand hurt
"If you make me look bad, I will never ever talk to you again. Ever."

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 10:27:50 PM »

That's a huge task to take on but I commend you for being so bold. Keep us posted on how that goes.

Ha yeah, well its pretty much just learning solo's etc, I learnt guitar playing along to my brother's Maiden collection so they're pretty much all ingrained.  And tbh they're not all that complicated (sans solos) :lol

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 10:59:35 PM »

Ha yeah, well its pretty much just learning solo's etc, I learnt guitar playing along to my brother's Maiden collection so they're pretty much all ingrained.  And tbh they're not all that complicated (sans solos) :lol

Oh so you're already relatively far along? Cool.

Offline perfectcircle58

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 07:08:53 AM »
I'm working on the guitar part in Glasgow Kiss all the way up to before the solo. I think it's a bit out of my league but I've been practicing a lot. I have an evaluation tonight where I play it in front of a few people who will just watch and take notes on my performance. The only thing I'm worried about is that I don't have nearly enough experience playing in front of people, and I know that I get extremely shaky. That's not good, especially since the song is hard enough to play as it is. I've also noticed that I'm sloppy on some parts recently that I thought I could do better before. An example is when the main/beginning theme is repeated but transposed up. I always mess up when I get to the higher strings- possibly because of how I hold the pick or the guitar. I'm really not sure.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 11:58:30 AM »
I played Beyond This Life properly for the first time today, and was surprise how difficult it is. I really enjoyed it, I love challenged on guitar.

Offline TheCor

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 03:09:52 AM »
a bunch of random easy modern rock/metal for a cover band that i'm involved in, we're also doing bat country by avenged sevenfold and it seems i underestimated the difficulty of that song. it's gonna take a while before that one's fit to be played out.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2009, 12:09:05 PM »
Can a mod move this to the Musician's board?

Anyway, I finally perfected A Rite of Passage and Lines in the Sand. I'm looking to start working on The Count of Tuscany now