Author Topic: Looking for a Good Double Bass Pedal  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
Looking for a Good Double Bass Pedal
« on: January 18, 2010, 09:54:54 AM »
For $200 or less (preferably less).

I was looking at these but wasnt sure if they were good or not (I know, I gotta go try them out) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gibraltar+-+Prowler+Double+Bass+Drum+Pedal/9041681.p?id=1218011773608&skuId=9041681&st=double bass&cp=1&lp=13

But if you have recommendations that are within this price range, I'd appreciate it.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Looking for a Good Double Bass Pedal
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
Just get another bass drum. Problem solved.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 10:06:39 AM »
If you want a good double kick pedal, chances are, you'll pay well over 200$. Go for an Iron Cobra.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 11:29:08 AM »

That only works if he has two double bass drums.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:53:13 AM »

That only works if he has two double bass drums.

wat
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 06:26:41 PM »
Volk, I can't personally vouch for either of these, but I've been looking at the following two because they're cheap and have gotten good reviews from what I have seen:

https://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sound-Percussion-Double-Bass-Drum-Pedal-with-Drop-Clutch?sku=500569

https://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DW-7002PT-Double-Bass-Drum-Pedal?sku=443464
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LTE

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 08:30:08 PM »
I'd recommend what I use, but I think it's last years model that they discontinued.

I got them for like 75% off of musicians friend. Saved atleast 150 dollars.

They are great, direct drive pedals are SO fast and easy to play. The response is so quick, the saying is true, "when you think of it, you play it"
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 09:12:32 PM »
I'd recommend what I use, but I think it's last years model that they discontinued.

They are great, direct drive pedals are SO fast and easy to play. The response is so quick, the saying is true, "when you think of it, you play it"

So..what do you use, lol

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline LTE

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 09:39:37 PM »

So..what do you use, lol

Aren't they in my sig?

Yamaha DFP something or other.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 09:40:59 PM »

So..what do you use, lol

Aren't they in my sig?

Yamaha DFP something or other.

Oh, ok. I didnt see them there, lol.

Btw, which would you all recommend: Bass pedals with the round head, or the flat?

EDIT: I looked on Musicians friend, an these are in my price range: https://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/pedals-drum-percussion-accessories?N=100001+337072+8

Are any of those good? Which would you recommend?

Offline LTE

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »
I've heard nothing but good things about the Iron Cobra Jrs.

I was actually going to get those when i was buying one, but I guess it wasn't out yet.

As far as the type of beater, Idk, I only play at an electronic set in my house, so as far as tonal differences between different heads, i couldn't tell you.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »
I been really looking at the Gibraltor Avenger II. Any thoughts on that one?

Offline timddrums

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 11:11:55 PM »
honestly i've had my pacific 900 pedals for quite a few years (cost 180 dollars for me) and i think that it doesn't really matter what pedals you use, you'll get used to that pedal and can go just as fast no matter which one you use.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 11:20:44 PM »
honestly i've had my pacific 900 pedals for quite a few years (cost 180 dollars for me) and i think that it doesn't really matter what pedals you use, you'll get used to that pedal and can go just as fast no matter which one you use.

Go play an Axis pedal at a music store and see if you still think the same way.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline timddrums

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 10:34:14 AM »

Go play an Axis pedal at a music store and see if you still think the same way.

I know a LOT of people that have expensive pedals and i can go faster on my cheap ones....MOST of it is about technique, i know axis pedals are better than my pacific 900's, but i refuse to pay over 300 for a double pedal that shit is just rediculous.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 11:57:29 AM »
Ok, im about to make my decision, but I've wittled it down to two competitors, so please help me decide between these two.

Gibraltor Avenger II: https://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-Avenger-II-Double-Pedal/dp/B000B6DU2S

Vs.

Iron Cobra Jr.: https://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tama-Iron-Cobra-Jr.-Twin-Bass-Drum-Pedal?sku=583128

What do you think? Im starting to side with the Avenger...

Offline Volk9

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 10:41:33 PM »
Ok, so I ordered the Avenger tonight. Whenever its get here and I try it out, I'll report back here :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 11:22:34 AM »
So, what's your review?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Volk9

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 03:52:57 PM »
I literally just got it last night, put it together, and just finished trying them out a few minutes ago.

Definately a wise choice :metal Very sturdy and nice looking. The pedals are very synchronized, allowing for great patterns. The speed on them is really good, and their very easy to do fast double bass rolls and stuff on them. Really easy to adjust to your own personal standards.  Pretty much no complaints from them. Only thing that I may change in the future are the actual heads, which arent really great quality. Besides that, it's definately a great pedal for beginners and more advanced players. And for a very affordable price too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 04:32:38 PM »
Cool.  It's a great price.  And I just noticed Musiciansfriend has free shipping....   *tempted*

Offline Volk9

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 04:34:03 PM »
Cool.  It's a great price.  And I just noticed Musiciansfriend has free shipping....   *tempted*

Yeah, thats where I got it. It doesnt come witht he pedal heads that are shown, but besides that, its definately a great buy, especially for the price

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 04:46:01 PM »
I bought it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 04:17:17 PM »
IT CAME TODAY!!!

Offline Volk9

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »
Awesome! :metal Tell me if you like it after you get it set up and everything

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 10:21:53 PM »
Pretty sure this is perfect for you based on the OP: https://www.birdlandmusic.net/product.php?productid=3746&src=froogle
I have 'em and I LOVE them. Only pedals I've ever played on that heel-toe technique is seamless!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 02:19:35 PM »

Got it set up last night, and played on it just a little today.  So far, I LOVE IT!  I didn't realize how cheap my single pedal was until I started playing on this.  MUCH different feel, whether I'm playing single or double.  Interesting how these beaters really sound different on my bass drum as well.  I haven't messed with the springs yet to try different tension settings.  So far, I like how it feels out of hte box.  I'm going to play around with it a little bit and get used to it before I experiment much.  But I was wailing away this morning and busted a stick, so you know I'm enjoying it.  :)

Offline Volk9

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »

Got it set up last night, and played on it just a little today.  So far, I LOVE IT!  I didn't realize how cheap my single pedal was until I started playing on this.  MUCH different feel, whether I'm playing single or double.  Interesting how these beaters really sound different on my bass drum as well.  I haven't messed with the springs yet to try different tension settings.  So far, I like how it feels out of hte box.  I'm going to play around with it a little bit and get used to it before I experiment much.  But I was wailing away this morning and busted a stick, so you know I'm enjoying it.  :)

Haha, sweet! Glad you like them :D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 08:46:35 AM »
Not sure if it is the settings on the pedal or if it my style, but something needs a bit of tweaking, I think.  I'm noticing that on my right foot only, I'm getting a lot of bouceback (if that's the right term), meaning when I stomp the pedal, after the intentional hit, the beater bounces back and gives an unintentional secondary hit.  Any insight?  Being pretty new to drumming, I don't know whether this is a common problem or not.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 08:48:43 AM »
Not sure if it is the settings on the pedal or if it my style, but something needs a bit of tweaking, I think.  I'm noticing that on my right foot only, I'm getting a lot of bouceback (if that's the right term), meaning when I stomp the pedal, after the intentional hit, the beater bounces back and gives an unintentional secondary hit.  Any insight?  Being pretty new to drumming, I don't know whether this is a common problem or not.

(Im still new to drumming too; only been doing it a year)

Mine doesnt do that, but the old kind I use to have did. Im not sure how to fix that though

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 10:45:30 AM »
Problem fixed.  I added a bit of spring tension, which helped a little bit.  But the major fix I noticed came from just sliding my foot up closer to the chain.  I was initiall playing with my foot further back, which allowed for a lighter touch and greater speed.  But it also allowed for more bounce, which seems to have been the problem. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 11:56:36 AM »
I bought it.

Dude, if you can afford music toys, you can afford to buy me Chick Fil A for being a nice guy and good friend. Just sayin'...

Oh wait, this a music forum. My bad. Carry on.   :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2010, 12:14:25 PM »
The Avengers are good for now, but what you should get in the long run are the Tama Iron Cobra.

Best pedals I've ever used!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.