Author Topic: [Movie] Daybreakers  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
[Movie] Daybreakers
« on: January 14, 2010, 04:45:51 PM »
I think it’s pretty safe to say that vampires have become the butt end of a lot of jokes lately, all thanks to one word: Twilight. So, you can’t blame me for being a little excited for Daybreakers, a movie that takes vampires and removes them from the teenage, angst filled, puffed up and sparkly modern shell and dumps them back into the dark, blood-filled place they occupied twenty years ago. And, not surprisingly, this causes Daybreakers to be a sharp, crisp, action-and-gore-filled thrill ride that is probably the first really good movie to come out this year.

Taking place in a dystopian future, Daybreakers kicks off with a bang. In about 2011, a viral outbreak sweeps across the globe, transforming about 90% of the human race into vampires. As you might imagine, the lack of humans causes a problem when it comes to blood. After ten years of feasting on us mortals, the vampires are finding out that the blood supply is low and resort to capturing and farming humans for sustenance. Even with these measures in place, however, there is not enough blood in the world to support all the vampires. This is a problem because if a vampire becomes blood-deprived, they morph into crazy, violent and hideous bat monsters.

Enter Edward (Ethan Hawke), a vampire haematologist in search of a blood substitute. Problem is, his research is going nowhere, and his big bad corporate bosses want results. Desperate for a solution, Edward falls in with a bunch of human resistance fighters, led by “Elvis” (Willem Dafoe), who fight against vampires using muscle cars and crossbows and who are incidentally searching for a cure to vampirism.

What follows is one of the most action-packed 90 minutes of cinema I have seen since District 9. The best part of all this, as you might have already guessed, is that it makes vampires FUCKING COOL AGAIN! I mean come on, it has every awesome vampire cliché ramped up to 100. Not only do the vampires feast in a blood filled embrace of death, but they burn in the sun and a stake to the heart causes them to explode. How cool is that?

Despite its very modest budget, Daybreakers looks fantastic, painting a gracefully dark vision of what a city would look like if almost everyone moved under the cover of darkness. Not to mention all the explosions, fire, and blood. And when I say blood, I mean gallons of blood poured lovingly into every single frame. To top all of this off, the story is compelling, a smart and sassy social commentary in the pants of a thriller flick. Decent performances all around make this a winner, and a movie that should definitely be checked out by everyone.

Alright, alright. That’s enough praise. The plot has a few holes, and some vampire details are missed. I mean, they can’t even see in the frickin’ dark, which is kind of a let down seeing as a desperate night-time chase scene through the darkened streets of a vampire infested city would have been the new pinnacle of awesome. Also, the plot twists are shockingly predictable, and some of the subplots are just pointless.  But overall, the movie delivers a fun as hell hour and a half of cinema. 

Closing Thought:   Not only does Daybreakers deliver as a kick-ass thriller, but it has the balls to make vampires awesome again and look good while doing it. I mean, the main vampire is called Edward. You want to tell me that’s a coincidence? I won’t say it’s for everyone, and the sheer amount of blood might be off-putting for some, but I thought it was incredibly enjoyable, and its minute flaws are hardly noticeable.
4.5/5
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Re: [Movie] Daybreakers
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
I've been meaning to see this, thanks for convincing me to :)

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:37:56 PM »
Yea, I've gotta go see this.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 08:56:26 PM »

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 09:08:44 PM »
Saw it, was badass. Kinda wonder if they'll have a sequel.
gone