Author Topic: [Movie] The End of Evangelion  (Read 3275 times)

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

[Movie] The End of Evangelion
« on: January 09, 2010, 05:19:20 PM »
The End of Evangelion
   Hideaki Anno, Kazuya Tsurumaki
Anime, Post Apocalyptic, Existentialism 

Neon Genesis Evangelion is often hailed as one of the most well crafted, and entertaining animes of all time. It sits on the triple seated throne with Gundam, and Robotech as the head honchos of the mecha genre. But to call Evangelion just a mecha anime is misleading, in fact the show rarely focused on the fighting and action, but rather on characters and setting. The universe of Evangelion is a deep and rich world, and if you don't pay careful attention, you may not get the full impact. There are many references to the fields of psychology, religion, philosophy, and science fiction. All the characters are unique, have their own traits and flaws, and all have their own problems.

The setting of Evangelion is in Earth beginning at the year 2000. A event called "Second Impact" has devastated the planet, destroying half of Earth's population, causing climate change, and war. In the year 2015, Tokyo (which in the series is called Tokyo 3, after being destroyed 2 times) is being attacked by an unknown forced dubbed as "Angels". Children born after the second impact are the ones who must pilot giant mechs called "Evas" in order to battle Angels. During the show you follow the actions and events that follow Ikari Shinji, one of the kids chosen to pilot an Eva. You learn about the various factions such as Seele, Nerv, and Gehirn. I will not take to long to talk about all the story in the show, but it deals heavily in conspiracy, conquest for power, and ultimately humanity's existence.

Fast-forward to the end of episode 24, and that is when The End of Evangelion begins. The movie was created in response to the poorly received episodes 25 and 26, which fell victim to budget and censorship issues. End of Evangelion follows the original script laid out for those two episodes. They even go as far as to split the movie in half, and call it episodes 25 and 26.

The first half of the movie contains more action than the entire series. It shows the violent collision of Nerv and Seele battling for their own version of Third Impact to happen. The invasion of the Nerv headquarters shows the violent nature of each side, and their determination to follow through with Instrumentality. Gendo wants to reunite with his wife, Seele wants to merge all of humanity into one single entity, but they both in the end want ultimate hapiness. Part 1 also contains one of the most brilliant scenes in any anime, Auska fighting the mass produced Evas. The ultra violent brutality of the fighting, combined with the soft and relaxing tune of Johann Sebastian Bach's Air on the G String works extremely well, which leads me to another point..

The soundtrack is extremely well done. You have 2 of the works of J.S. Bach that work very well, the song Komm, süsser Tod which is almost funny when you put it into context. You get a cool jazz pop version of Thanatos during the credits for episdoe 25, and some neat original works too.

Anyway, the first half serves as a great action packed introduction to the movie, and it sets up the events to come well. But you're probably thinking "all this action is great and all, but there is the famous Evangelion mind fuck", well Jimmy, part 2 is littered with so much mind fucking that you will probably be considered a patient of a lobotomy.

When part 2 begins, it never stops making you go "what the fuck is this shit" until you reach the very end. But when you actually think about it, it all makes sense. There really isn't a scene that is put in there solely for the purpose of confusing you. The art direction and all that may seem very abstract, and unnecessary, but it is all a part of the pain Shinji is dealing with. Put yourself in his shoes, you just had 2 people that you care about, you have been dealing with extreme mental distress and depression, and now you are taking part of an act that will destroy all of humanity. All the scenes where Shinji is going through Instrumentality is supposed to reflect all that he is going through, all the anger, confusion, and depression.

And after all of this chaos, all of this sad and angry and depressive shit the series has been building up, all the sense of hopelessness, featuring one of the most emo main characters ever, it ends on an extremely optimistic note. The film ends on the message that everything is alright. That even though we go through periods of depression, anger, and sadness, that all those things only make us better in the end. The message is that we can't experience joy without first experiencing pain. And that our identity is more important than trying to be perfect.

So if you are a fan of anime, or someone who wants to watch a good and interesting series, with a ton of complexity and depth to it, then I highly reccomend this. You are almost certianly going to want to watch the show first, and I suggest watching the move before you watch episodes 25 and 26 of the show. The colsest thing I can compare this to is the Half Life series. They both feature a immersive world, all with realistic characters, in a post apocolyptic setting, but while Half Life focuses on action and adventure, Evangelion focuses on story and philosophy.

10/10

https://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-End/dp/B000068OJ1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1263082505&sr=8-1

Offline JoeBob

• I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
Re: [Movie] The End of Evangelion
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 08:23:26 PM »
Excellent review of one of my favorite anime movies.  Anno concluded the series perfectly with this.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 10:39:01 PM »
I saw Eva awhile ago and I still don't know whether I love it or hate it, which I suppose is a tribute to its greatness.  But anyway, EoE is probably the reason why.

Yes, the first half was decent, but the second half was pretty lame once you figured out what was going on.  I mean, they just threw all sense of likelihood and the sci-fi elements aside and replaced it with this far-out allegory that sends a message but doesn't really leave me satisfied in terms of story.  And the scary thing is, EoE is supposed to be the GOOD ending.   :yeahright

Glad to see there's som other anime fans here, though.  I haven't seen the reboot of Eva yet, I'd be curious as to whether it's any better.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:39:33 AM »
I saw Eva awhile ago and I still don't know whether I love it or hate it, which I suppose is a tribute to its greatness.  But anyway, EoE is probably the reason why.

Yes, the first half was decent, but the second half was pretty lame once you figured out what was going on.  I mean, they just threw all sense of likelihood and the sci-fi elements aside and replaced it with this far-out allegory that sends a message but doesn't really leave me satisfied in terms of story.  And the scary thing is, EoE is supposed to be the GOOD ending.   :yeahright

Glad to see there's som other anime fans here, though.  I haven't seen the reboot of Eva yet, I'd be curious as to whether it's any better.
I understand where you are coming from, the series has caused more love and hate than any other. But personally, I thought part 2 was what made the movie into something amazing. It ties up all the loose ends while providing a great message to end it. I love watching it and seeing Shinji reflect back on all the shit he went through, and then make the ultimate choice to reject Instrumentality.

Oh, and the rebuild of Eva is alright, I have only seen the first one. But from what I can tell the rebuild takes a totally different direction than the show.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:06:33 AM »
What's weird, though, is they seem to through out the story in the process.  Like, sure it's nice to have Shinji come out of instrumentality.  But the way the whole 2nd half works, it's weird.  It's like anything can happen, and there's no explanation, no reason to ask "why" the plot and what Shinji can do seems to be determined by what he wants emotionally rather than any kind of realistic likelihood.

I'm really interested in seeing the new ending, though.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 02:26:42 PM »
Here was my theory about why Shinji was the ultimate deciding factor in what was happening:

In order for third impact to happen you need to meet a certain criteria. You need to merge a Adam based lifeform (Adam, S2 engine, Mass Produces Evas, Angels) with a Lilith based life form (Unit 01, Lilith). What Gendo and Seele were fighting for was the way to control the outcome for their own purposes. Gendo merged Adam into his hand so could try to initiate Third Impact and return to his wife. Seele wanted instrumentality, so they sent Tabris into Nerv HQ to try to initiate it, because they knew what Gendo was trying to do. This is why in the beginning of the film there is the invasion of Nerv HQ in order to try to stop Gendo.

Now what ends up happening is that Rei (which carries Lilith's soul) rejects Gendo, and instead unites with Shinji. Why this is all able to happen is because Unit 01 is cloned from Lilith (while the other Evas are from Adam). So since Shinji is attuned with Unit 01 he is the one who decides what happens. Shinji unwillingly assumes the position that Gendo and Seele wanted.

Part of why I love the series so much is that it generates so much discussion. When I played WoW I was in a guild with a bunch of Evangelion nerds and we would talk on vent for hours about the show. I hope I helped you understand what was going on a little bit more.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »
Yeah, you did, but I've been here before.  Unfortunately, watching the series itself doesn't do much to help viewers understand what the hell was going on.  Every time I find myself in these discussions, I'm at some point or another aimed towards checking out some Eva source outside the series- interviews, the booklet of an Eva console game, etc. While it's all very interesting, the series itself didn't really do a good job of explaining much, especially towards the end.  That's it's big shortcoming.  I don't like watching something where I have to do extra homework just to understand.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 02:53:55 PM »
I see where you are coming from, but in a way that is why I love the series. Every time I watch the series again it's like you pick up on something more and more. I remember watching the movie for the first time and being completely bewildered by it, so much that I actually just stopped watching it. But after watching it again you sort of begin to piece it all together. I only ever check out those websites and side shit to see if i am getting the right idea or not. It's like why I love 2001: A Space Odyssey, you just get so much out of it.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 04:10:07 PM »
Yeah, it's not that I didn't enjoy the series.  I did, very much so.  But keeping up with everything is annoying, especially since you have to keep up with so many other sources.

I found another similar series, RahXephon, to be pretty good.  Have you watched it?

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 04:15:10 PM »
Nah, i have never seen that show. When it comes to anime I am pretty much a noob, I only have seen Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, FLCL, Elfen Lied, and Ghost in the Shell season 1 in their entirety. I have been meaning to check out more, but the site where I usually get anime shows had to clear them all out. I plan on renewing my Netflix account soon so I have been gathering up anime series' to watch when that day comes, i'll make sure to add RahXephon to that list.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »
Well, there's plenty of Eva similarities.  In fact, the Eva fanbase is pretty divided on it-- some of it like to think of it as a "what if it happened this way, instead?" version of Eva, while others consider it a blatant rip-off.  Personally, I feel that it's neither, but I can see how Eva really paved the way for a show like RahXephon to exist.  It's definitely one of the better giant robo animes I've watched.

Offline jezstyle

• Rafiki from Stradley Hall
  • Rafiki from Stradley Hall
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 06:03:22 PM »
Congratulations on the great review. I love me some EoE!