Author Topic: Camel  (Read 23110 times)

Offline Mr. Mustard

Re: Camel
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2012, 06:30:52 PM »
Great band. I originally dismissed them because they were too "soft" and "Canterbury." They're now easily one of my favorites. Moonmadness and Mirage are amazing.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2012, 07:43:51 PM »
I love Moonmadness. Nude isn't bad either. They had a great career back then as well.

Too "Canterbury" as in Caravan?"
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mr. Mustard

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2012, 08:00:47 PM »
Yeah, that's what I initially thought of them. Now I obviously love Camel. Caravan is pretty good too though I only have 'In a Land of Grey and Pink.'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2012, 10:00:33 AM »
Did you check out Harbour of Tears yet, Kev?

Finally doing so now.  Sounds good so far (of the tracks I have, most of which I have, given to me by a friend).  The CD is not easy to find.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2012, 11:56:53 AM »
Moonmadness is one of my favorite albums. I still need to get more of their albums, especially the debut, but I love everything I've heard (Moonmadness, Snow Goose, Mirage, Nude).

Also, an update was just posted on their website. Looks like a new album for 2013.
https://www.camelproductions.com/

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2012, 04:02:21 AM »
Ah, I knew there was a Camel thread somewhere (I remembered posting in it).

I think one of my favourite of their albums is Nude. It's just so...

...different. Well, that and how epic all of the instrumentals are on it, which is about 80% of it.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Ghost

« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2012, 05:01:48 AM »
Can anyone direct me to an album/song I've been meaning to look for? I don't remember it well but it was slow and kind of ambient (I think) and it had some flute-y clean guitar playing. I know it was Camel but I forgot the name of the song. So what should I check out?

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2012, 06:11:37 AM »
It could have been Supertwister, although if there's guitar and flute, it's likely to be something from either Rain Dances or Breathless.

I can't offhand think of what it would be, but check those out, it may be one of those. Or check out A Song Within A Song.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2012, 11:47:39 AM »
I listened to Mirage the other day. It was very nice.  :tup
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2012, 02:37:23 PM »
About the Canterbury thing, they never struck me as Canterbury for some reason. Don't know why. Well maybe on a couple later works.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2012, 04:55:34 AM »
I think it's that their early days weren't Canterbury (certainly to my mind, but then there wasn't a Guildford scene, but that's not really even in Kent to my knowledge). But yes, later when they had the Sinclairs and other members of Caravan, yeah, that's definitely Canterbury.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
Can anyone direct me to an album/song I've been meaning to look for? I don't remember it well but it was slow and kind of ambient (I think) and it had some flute-y clean guitar playing. I know it was Camel but I forgot the name of the song. So what should I check out?

Well, Camel has a lot of mellow-ish songs with flute and clean guitar playing..:lol

My suggestion is to just check out their best albums (reading this thread will give you a good indication of where to start), and once you become a fan, you'll want more of their stuff.  It's then inevitable that you'll stumble across that song you are looking for. :)

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2012, 05:51:27 PM »
I love love love this band. I listened to Camel for the first time a few months ago and I was immediately hooked. Out of the four albums I've already purchased, Moonmadness is my favorite--that album would make a brilliant laser light show soundtrack! Mirage and The Snow Goose are also incredible! I was a little disappointed with I Can See Your House from Here but it certainly has its moments. What should my next Camel album be? Probably Rajaz, right?

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2012, 06:01:42 PM »
Rajaz is high quality but I would go with the self-titled debut. It's kind of more jazzy and rocking than their later material. I love it. :heart
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »
Song Within a Song :heart :heart

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2013, 03:10:20 AM »
Earlier I went to the best CD store in St. Louis and purchased the Camel album Breathless. I've only listened to it once but I can tell I'm going to like this one quite a bit--it's definitely progressive rock, but with lots of dance and disco elements too so it's a lot of fun. "Summer Lightning" is INCREDIBLE!!! This band is so underrated it seriously hurts.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
Finally doing so now.  Sounds good so far (of the tracks I have, most of which I have, given to me by a friend).  The CD is not easy to find.
Sweet!

Yeah, definitely not easy to find at all. I ordered it from their site and it took 3 months to get to me. I love it though. The story is cool and easy to follow and it's got some great instrumental moments. Andy's guitar playing is excellent.

The live album for it is great too. "Coming of Age: Live"
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2013, 11:45:25 AM »
I love love love this band. I listened to Camel for the first time a few months ago and I was immediately hooked. Out of the four albums I've already purchased, Moonmadness is my favorite--that album would make a brilliant laser light show soundtrack! Mirage and The Snow Goose are also incredible! I was a little disappointed with I Can See Your House from Here but it certainly has its moments. What should my next Camel album be? Probably Rajaz, right?

Get the debut or A Nod and a Wink next.  I am still digging into some of the other newer stuff, like Rajaz and Harbour of Tears, so I can't recommend them as early starter albums yet, but time will tell.

Sweet!

Yeah, definitely not easy to find at all. I ordered it from their site and it took 3 months to get to me. I love it though. The story is cool and easy to follow and it's got some great instrumental moments. Andy's guitar playing is excellent.

Well, that kind of goes without saying, right? ;) I mean, when is Latimer's playing not awesome?  :coolio

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2013, 11:48:56 AM »
Harbour of Tears was my first Camel CD and I loved it. A Nod and a Wink's self titled song is amazing
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »
A Nod and a Wink (the song) is good, but I'll take A Boy's Life and For Today from that album as the true standouts.  Fox Hill is stellar musically, but the vocal delivery in that song is cringeworthy.  I get what they were going for, but it doesn't make it not annoying.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
I haven't listened to ANAW fully in awhile so I can't remember too much about it. Just that the self-titled was one of my favorites. Hopefully Andy feels better soon and gets stronger and puts out new Camel material.

Dave Stewart played drums on Rajaz and Coming of Age live. I hope they work with him again. He's just a tiny Irish guy but plays with such force
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2013, 09:01:43 PM »
You guys were right about Harbour of Tears--what a stunning piece of work that is. I've only listened to it three times so far but I can tell it will be one of my favorite Camel albums. I wonder how many people in the world have ridden a camel while listening to Camel while smoking a Camel. That might be one for the bucket list.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2013, 01:22:01 AM »
 :tup

Such a great album. I honestly can never get enough of it. It's even better on the live CD. The instrumental part of Send Home the Slates is sped up a bit
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2013, 02:27:55 PM »

Online Mladen

« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »
Lucky London bastards...  :biggrin:

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »
Too bad Dave Stewart isn't drumming for them anymore. He was a little pint-sized Irish drumming powerhouse.

I'm just happy that Andy is doing better. I haven't seen a picture of him recently
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2013, 07:43:35 PM »
Sounds like a great show. The Snow Goose is their best album.

On another note, The Hour Candle from Harbour of Tears is awesome. Camel writes melodies that really resonate with me.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2013, 12:57:30 AM »
My Camel obsession inspired me to make another one of my dorky Top 20 Songs videos on Youtube. Please don't yell at me if I neglected your favorite Camel tunes--there were just too many incredible songs to choose from! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiSvwj_ZhZo

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2013, 01:12:33 PM »
Saw Camel last night. Andy Latimer looked like he was really enjoying getting to play live again. He strolled on, put the flute down, picked up the guitar and just looked so happy, it was lovely to see.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2013, 01:14:01 PM »
Did they play anything from Harbour of Tears?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2013, 01:53:35 PM »
Yes, it was an instrumental Andy Latimer wrote for his father.

I think they played something from every album, including the song "Tell Me", which is one I massively love.

Online Mladen

« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »
Great to see them performing the entire The Snow goose, and Tell me really is a pleasant surprise, probably my favorite song from Rain dances.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »
Long time ago, Mirage made Symphonic Prog "click" for me.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2018, 01:55:39 PM »
Since Camel ist going to play at the Night Of The Prog Festival this year, I decided to listen to my Snow Goose vinyl that I have sitting in my collection for about 5 years now. I knew it before and liked it but never listened to it as closely as I should have.

Listening to it carefully, I realized how good it actually is and how little recognition this band gets next to the giants Genesis, Yes etc.! So I bought their debut from 1973 and live album from 1978 in Amsterdam a couple weeks ago and ordered Moonmadness on discogs (bc they will play this one in its entirety at the NotP). I am falling in love with this band more and more! Their music is a lot more introverted than most 70s prog. Closest band of the bigger prog bands musically speaking would be Genesis. But I love Camels instrumental approach and the introverted vocals. The latter could actually be a big reason that they never gained as much popularity as other bands of their time who had charismatic singers (Greg Lake, Jon Anderson, Gabriel).

I will continue with the 70s albums Rain Dances, Breathless and I Can See Your House From Here and save Mirage up for last. I heard it's their best. I also haven't listened to the first LP of their live album since there are some Mirage songs on there. I heard their 80s stuff is not thaaat good, but I'm sure I will listen to those albums too at some point.

My favorite songs are until now:
Never Let Go
Arubaluba
Air Born
First side of The Snow Goose (I don't know where one track ends and the next one starts, this is just one big piece for me in the vein of Thick As A Brick, Hergest Ridge etc.)
Lunar Sea
any rock can be made to roll

Online Mladen

« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2018, 01:59:24 PM »
Interesting choice to leave Mirage for last. I'd agree it's their best one, although I love The Snow goose and Moonmadness as well.

Also, do NOT ignore the album Nude. It's brilliant.  :hefdaddy