Author Topic: Camel  (Read 23270 times)

Online HOF

Re: Camel
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2021, 06:04:01 AM »
Today is apparently the 47th anniversary of the release of Mirage.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2021, 05:49:47 PM »

That whole record is killer, but Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider in particular is all kinds of awesome.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online HOF

« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2021, 06:32:23 PM »

That whole record is killer, but Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider in particular is all kinds of awesome.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Yep, love that one. I think Earthrise is my favorite track on it though. Listening to it now actually. Such a great instrumental piece. Andy Ward was a power house behind the kit.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2021, 07:10:20 PM »

Yep, love that one. I think Earthrise is my favorite track on it though. Listening to it now actually. Such a great instrumental piece. Andy Ward was a power house behind the kit.

They have always done a good job at getting new members, but they will never equal or top that original lineup. There was a magic to those first four albums that is impossible to recapture.

Online HOF

« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2021, 08:57:21 PM »

They have always done a good job at getting new members, but they will never equal or top that original lineup. There was a magic to those first four albums that is impossible to recapture.

Andrew Latimer has continued to make some really good albums under the name Camel, but he really hasn’t had nearly as strong as a band since that original lineup. The post Ward albums have been more a Latimer solo outlet.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2021, 01:08:56 AM »

Andrew Latimer has continued to make some really good albums under the name Camel, but he really hasn’t had nearly as strong as a band since that original lineup. The post Ward albums have been more a Latimer solo outlet.

His current band is very good! Colin Bass is a great bass player (duh, with that name) and a good singer too. And they have Pete Jones on keys, he is a perfect fit. I was so amazed to see the band in such good shape at the Night Of The Prog Festival and Pete Jones absolutely killed it. He knows tasteful sounds, he's a great singer and at some point, he just threw an awesome sax solo at us.
any rock can be made to roll

Online HOF

« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2021, 06:21:55 AM »

His current band is very good! Colin Bass is a great bass player (duh, with that name) and a good singer too. And they have Pete Jones on keys, he is a perfect fit. I was so amazed to see the band in such good shape at the Night Of The Prog Festival and Pete Jones absolutely killed it. He knows tasteful sounds, he's a great singer and at some point, he just threw an awesome sax solo at us.

Pete Jones is an incredible musician for sure and that lineup is really good. They just haven’t made an album together (would be fun!). The last album, A Wink and a Nod, does sound a bit more like a full band effort. I really like that one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2023, 10:25:57 AM »
Looks like Camel had to cancel their European/UK tour this year (50th anniversary) due to Andrew Latimer needing back surgery.  That is unfortunate.  Hope he recovers well!

In the meantime, the awesomeness of their first four records is still on par with the first four by just about any band ever.  I stand by that.  :coolio :coolio

Offline jammindude

« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2023, 10:36:56 AM »
I don’t have the first album, and Snow Goose gets a bit weird when you’re in “shuffle mode”, but I just reloaded my music player this last weekend, and part of the new additions were Mirage, Moonmadness, and Breathless. I’ve only spun them once or twice, but I’m looking forward to getting more familiar with the material.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online HOF

« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2023, 01:06:47 PM »
I don’t have the first album, and Snow Goose gets a bit weird when you’re in “shuffle mode”, but I just reloaded my music player this last weekend, and part of the new additions were Mirage, Moonmadness, and Breathless. I’ve only spun them once or twice, but I’m looking forward to getting more familiar with the material.

All great albums (though I’m less keen on The Snow Goose than most people). The debut is really good. A bit heavier with some really in your face drumming. “Never Let Go” is one of their best songs, so it’s worth having for that. There’s a lot of other great stuff in their catalog. I really enjoy all eras.

I posted this in this thread a while back but that video got pulled. This one is better quality anyway. Just a great song:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JPEUfUCKHVQ

I’m surprised Latimer hasn’t retired yet, because he’s had numerous health issues that have made it hard to tour in the past. I guess maybe he needs to keep going for financial reasons, or maybe he just loves it. Hope he can recover well enough to keep going if he needs to.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2023, 06:21:10 PM »
I was listening on shuffle just now and Dunkirk came on and that really surprised me because (as stated before) I thought I had left Snow Goose off because I thought it would be to weird on a shuffle format.

That’s almost an album that needs to be retracked as “side 1” and “side 2”.  But I’m enjoying Dunkirk at the moment.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2023, 06:53:38 PM »
jammindude, more than any of their other albums, The Snow Goose is not meant for the shuffle.  It is meant for listening to from start to finish.  Even though it is all instrumental, outside of a few wordless vocal moments, think of it like a concept album where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts (even with some of those parts being great standalone songs).

Online HOF

« Reply #152 on: April 21, 2023, 04:42:50 PM »
Well this is nutty but cool I guess. 32 discs! Kind of a steal at just $165 actually.

Air Born : The MCA and Decca Years 1973-1984 (27CD/5BR Box Set Preorder)

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/air-born-mca-and-decca-years-1973-1984-27cd5br-box-set-preorder?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=April%2021%202023%20Lasers%20Edge%20Update&utm_content=April%2021%202023%20Lasers%20Edge%20Update+CID_e7eccef9c5b43548825524b99165d53f&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software

"In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the release of their self-titled debut album, this 32-disc super deluxe boxed set is the definitive tribute to the legendary band Camel. The boxed features newly remastered versions of every Camel album and single issued between 1973 and 1984, but also includes new stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound versions of the albums “Camel”, “Mirage”, “Music Inspired by The Snow Goose”, “Moonmadness” and “Nude”, as well as new mixes of three concerts; The Marquee Club, London 1974, Hammersmith Odeon 1976 and Hammersmith Odeon 1977 The set also features previously unreleased out-takes from album recording sessions and BBC Radio “In Concert” appearances from 1974, 1975, 1977 and 1981. Additionally included is a Blu ray video disc of promotional videos and BBC TV appearances on “The Old Grey Whistle Test” and “Sight and Sound In Concert” and a Blu ray video disc of the 1984 concert film “Pressure Points”

The boxed set includes a lavishly illustrated book with essay and a poster."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #153 on: April 21, 2023, 05:04:43 PM »
I read about that the other day.  Great price considering everything included, but I know I'd never listen to most of it with any regularity, so I likely won't take the plunge.