Author Topic: Falling Into Infinity a re-listen  (Read 35869 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Falling Into Infinity a re-listen
« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2019, 09:55:23 AM »
Yeah, and the fact that it would've been an even more mediocre album.

To me, the most obvious flaw with FII is the running order.  New Millennium is a solid tune, but not a good opener, so the first 14 minutes of the album is a solid tune that I do not feel starts the album well and then a song most would agree is one of their worst ever.  It takes off from there with the killer Peruvian Skies, but the first two songs are a tough nut to crack. I still kick myself, as I talked the band up to a friend at the time for like a year, so he was like, "Okay, let me borrow a CD and I will check it out," and since FII was the new album and I was loving most of it, I gave him that one.  Big mistake.  He thought the first two songs sucked and that forever tainted his view.  I was like, "What about the 3rd song?"  And he was like, "That was better, but it sounded like a Metallica-wannabe song."  I am not sure he even listened to the rest of it before giving it back.  :censored >:( :facepalm:

I think a better way to put it is, Petrucci does not mind input from a producer and/or outside source if he thinks it can make the song better, while Portnoy generally doesn't like anyone who is not part of the band "butting in and telling me how to make my song better."

...Except, wasn't this how Flying Colors was created in the first place? A producer-created supergroup that helped shape their debut album? The one of their 2 albums that seems to be generally more well-liked than the other (which did not have an outside producer)?

That is why I said "generally," as there are almost always exceptions to every rule. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2019, 11:05:03 AM »
Well I first heard the Falling Into Infinity songs mainly from their 5 years in a Livetime dvd and Budakon. You can see how bummed I was to find out about the demo songs they played not being included in the studio.

That's only "Cover My Eyes" and "Speak to Me" (on 5YIAL -- none of the FII demos appear on the Budokan DVD).

And I loved those versions.  Which I thought were on the cd. Though when I could I bought the FII demos instantly.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2019, 11:26:00 AM »
Hey all, I want to apologize to anyone who took offense to what I posted about MP's opinion leading most people to dislike FII. In re-reading, it came off as abrasive, and I regret that. I just think what artists say, particularly ones that are as vocal and engaged as Portnoy, really can steer people. I happen to love FII, and while I can appreciate the frustration of the band about the making of the record, it has always just bothered me that it was slagged by MP, and that so many people then seemed to jump on that. I know it isn't the case for everyone. Much respect for the differing opinions.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2019, 12:05:02 PM »
I wouldn't discount that some may have jumped on that bandwagon.  Or maybe they liked it just fine, but felt that it simply wasn't quite up to the same level as the two proceeding albums and EP, and Mike's comments just emboldened some people to highlight the negatives.  But it's kind of interesting to look back on the history of the vocal fan base.  I know that by the time I started reading and posting on the forums around 2001 or 2002, there was already somewhat of a split between the DT forum and the MP.com forum, with a much bigger percentage of the MP.com fanbase following whatever MP said much more readily.  I think that same segment of the fan base might have been among those who much more readily slagged the album following his comments.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2019, 12:41:05 PM »
FII really showcases the potential that DT has/had in writing legitimately catchy and infectious songs of a more conventional nature. Hollow Years is a primo example of that. But it's clearly not something the band is interested in doing given their catalog of the last 20 years.
I don't know if I'd say that is true. Certainly the band has never hid nor denied the "pop" influences or side of the band, although it does take more of a back seat to their heavy and prog sides. But I'd say that there's typically at least a track or two on each of their albums that would fit in with that. So while it might not be their main priority, it is something that they have some interest in.

Yup.

WDADU:  "Status Seeker"
I&W:  "Another Day" and "Surrounded"
Awake:  "Innocence Faded" (blech!)
FII:  Lots
SFAM:  "The Spirit Carries On"
SDOIT and TOT:  Nothing (MAYBE "Vacant," but not really)
8VA:  "The Answer Lies Within" and "I Walk Beside You"
SC:  "Forsaken" (pretty iffy, but close)
BC&SL:  "Wither"
ADTOE:  I skip about half this album, so I'm not sure which of the songs I skip might qualify.  "Beneath the Surface" probably does.
DT12:  "The Looking Glass" (a little iffy) and "Along for the Ride"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Majesti

« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2019, 08:47:50 PM »
Since we’re on the topic can I just say... “Where Are You Now” is such an exceptional song! What a vibe!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2019, 11:54:59 PM »
FII really showcases the potential that DT has/had in writing legitimately catchy and infectious songs of a more conventional nature. Hollow Years is a primo example of that. But it's clearly not something the band is interested in doing given their catalog of the last 20 years.
I don't know if I'd say that is true. Certainly the band has never hid nor denied the "pop" influences or side of the band, although it does take more of a back seat to their heavy and prog sides. But I'd say that there's typically at least a track or two on each of their albums that would fit in with that. So while it might not be their main priority, it is something that they have some interest in.

Yup.

WDADU:  "Status Seeker"
I&W:  "Another Day" and "Surrounded"
Awake:  "Innocence Faded" (blech!)
FII:  Lots
SFAM:  "The Spirit Carries On"
SDOIT and TOT:  Nothing (MAYBE "Vacant," but not really)
8VA:  "The Answer Lies Within" and "I Walk Beside You"
SC:  "Forsaken" (pretty iffy, but close)
BC&SL:  "Wither"
ADTOE:  I skip about half this album, so I'm not sure which of the songs I skip might qualify.  "Beneath the Surface" probably does.
DT12:  "The Looking Glass" (a little iffy) and "Along for the Ride"

I would classify most of these songs as being more solemn and introspective ballads than having a more straightforward and upbeat pop tune, which FII is a bit more rife with to me.

Offline DTA

« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2019, 06:15:44 AM »
Since we’re on the topic can I just say... “Where Are You Now” is such an exceptional song! What a vibe!

I think most of the b-sides from that time are incredibly strong. The FII period was certainly a very creative time and they yielded lots of amazing songs. I only find Raise The Knife to be weaker than the rest and that's mainly because the vocal melody sounds unfinished/weak.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2019, 06:52:06 AM »
I'm actually listening to FII right now. It is definitely the most interesting DT album in the terms that it seems to be the most un-DT sounding album. To me the album is built up of really great songs and mediocre songs. Lines in the Sand is a top-10 DT song and I still think Hell's Kitchen is their best instrumental.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2019, 07:19:19 AM »
I’m always surprised by the backlash both Take Away My Pain and Anna Lee seem to get, while songs like TALW from 8V or Wither don’t appear to get similar scrutiny and are substantially inferior to the two FII ballads in my mind. I actually love those two ballads - the feel, lyrics and subject matter makes them quite beautiful and haunting at times, and I think they are often easily dismissed. Anna Lee in particular, was always a stunning track in my mind. It’s up there with Disappear and Wait for Sleep as one of my favourite very simple, yet memorable DT ballads.

Offline krands85

« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2019, 08:32:57 AM »
I’m always surprised by the backlash both Take Away My Pain and Anna Lee seem to get, while songs like TALW from 8V or Wither don’t appear to get similar scrutiny and are substantially inferior to the two FII ballads in my mind. I actually love those two ballads - the feel, lyrics and subject matter makes them quite beautiful and haunting at times, and I think they are often easily dismissed. Anna Lee in particular, was always a stunning track in my mind. It’s up there with Disappear and Wait for Sleep as one of my favourite very simple, yet memorable DT ballads.
I've never been much of a ballad man, but I also quite like these two.

As for the album as a whole, Trial of Tears and Lines in the sand are fantastic, plus Hells Kitchen is a great instrumental. Then you have a few average tracks which are decent enough, but then also the trio of You Not Me, Burning My Soul and Just Let Me Breathe which really drag the album down. They're 3 of my least favourite DT tracks and I'd rank the album higher if they were replaced by a couple of better songs.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2019, 08:36:03 AM »

I think most of the b-sides from that time are incredibly strong. The FII period was certainly a very creative time and they yielded lots of amazing songs. I only find Raise The Knife to be weaker than the rest and that's mainly because the vocal melody sounds unfinished/weak.

Despite the somewhat-petty lyrics, I find Raise the Knife to be a very strong song. 

Offline DTA

« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2019, 10:41:23 AM »

Despite the somewhat-petty lyrics, I find Raise the Knife to be a very strong song.

I think musically it's pretty cool, and the lyrics never bothered me too much. But the vocal melodies just sound a bit plain and not well-thought out. It could be because DT lyrics/vocals are always the last piece of the song to be worked on and they decided not to include RTK by that time so the vocal melodies were never fully completed but that's just me guessing. The rest of the songs have great vocals/vocal melodies but this one just sounds "meh" to me.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2019, 10:51:25 AM »
But the vocal melodies just sound a bit plain and not well-thought out.

Agreed on RTK. I felt the same way about it. I would like it a lot better had they done a better job with the vocal melodies. Maybe they tried and could never get it right, so that's why it never really made the record. Some b-sides will always be b-sides.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2019, 10:56:59 AM »

Vocal melodies on Raise the Knife never bothered me, they always felt pretty complete, especially the chorus.

Loved seeing this song live at Score. Had it made the album, it would have been my favorite track on it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2019, 11:06:06 AM »
Say what you will about KM, but his vocal melodies often had problems and often sound like he lacked understanding of what most singers can actually pull off successfully.  I know he didn't write the song.  But given that the lyrics for part of it were inspired by him, and the vocal melody is typical of what he had written for the band, I wonder if there was an intent to write it somewhat in his style.

Anyhow, I like the song.  I wish I knew what I did with those Die Hard parody lyrics I wrote for it back in the day.  :uny:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #191 on: January 19, 2019, 02:32:26 PM »

I've got nothing against Dream Theater ballads, but Anna Lee and Forsaken are bottom of the barrel for me.  A guess part of the reason is the lyrics do nothing for me.

Hollow Years is one of my favorite Dream Theater songs ever, The Spirit Carries On, Wither, Misunderstood......very enjoyable to me.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2019, 05:41:16 PM »

I've got nothing against Dream Theater ballads, but Anna Lee and Forsaken are bottom of the barrel for me.  A guess part of the reason is the lyrics do nothing for me.

Hollow Years is one of my favorite Dream Theater songs ever, The Spirit Carries On, Wither, Misunderstood......very enjoyable to me.

That’s what makes us all different my friend, and a good reason why I enjoy this band so much - they seem to have a bit of everything, for everyone’s different tastes. I do really enjoy many of the predominately piano-based ballads, which allow James’ voice to shine. Probably why I was a fan of TA, and even love little pieces like “the Answer” which is short but pretty. Different tastes are all good to me  :tup

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2023, 05:49:55 AM »
Listened to FII this week for the first time in a long time. Great record. I skip Hollow Years and Take Away My Pain but the rest rules.

Absolutely love the rest with the exception of BMS, which I do still enjoy.

The slightly chilled, slightly jazzy, rocky vibe was very cool on this album.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2023, 04:46:44 AM »
I like it. It was my first, so…

But BMS, AL, HY, JLMB are all in my least favourite bottom 10. Atrocious stuff.

The peaks (LITS, TOT, HK, and yes , NM, elevate this album for me. Top 5.
I really don’t mind YNM.

I’m going to immerse myself in the demos next week. I’m looking forward to that experience.

Is the ‘Making of…’ disc worth getting?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2023, 05:58:04 AM »

I really don’t mind YNM.

I’m going to immerse myself in the demos next week. I’m looking forward to that experience.

IMO, only, the making of isn't something I would be going back to often, but I think I ONLY listen to the "Director's Cut" at this point.   It has the extra songs (which I love; Cover My Eyes is a top ten DT song for me) and it doesn't have the annoying vocals on LITS, among other things.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2023, 10:35:21 AM »
FII is my least favorite album even though it's excellent but I am not DS fan. His ego has always rubbed me the wrong way but maybe that's on me.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2023, 11:37:17 AM »
Listened to FII this week for the first time in a long time. Great record. I skip Hollow Years and Take Away My Pain but the rest rules.

I don't go back to FII as often as I used to. But I love that record. As my wife pointed out about a week ago (after she listened to it again), it's the last album by DT that she really felt the band let the songs breathe. I absolutely agree. I love Trial of Tears, Anna Lee, Hell's Kitchen and Lines in the Sand a LOT. All of those are top-tier DT to me. I think I'm in the minority on "You Not Me" because I prefer it over the demo of "You Or Me" by a wide margin.

Like Stads, I also like "Cover My Eyes" but I feel it doesn't mesh with the album itself. Overall, I prefer the album as it was released.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2023, 01:00:49 PM »

I really don’t mind YNM.

IMO, only, the making of isn't something I would be going back to often, but I think I ONLY listen to the "Director's Cut" at this point.   It has the extra songs (which I love; Cover My Eyes is a top ten DT song for me) and it doesn't have the annoying vocals on LITS, among other things.

I, too, prefer the demos disc to the official release, but I need to figure out a better track order than the chronological one.  More like the album order with the new songs either mixed in or tacked onto the end.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #199 on: March 13, 2023, 01:28:40 PM »

I don't go back to FII as often as I used to. But I love that record. As my wife pointed out about a week ago (after she listened to it again), it's the last album by DT that she really felt the band let the songs breathe. I absolutely agree. I love Trial of Tears, Anna Lee, Hell's Kitchen and Lines in the Sand a LOT. All of those are top-tier DT to me. I think I'm in the minority on "You Not Me" because I prefer it over the demo of "You Or Me" by a wide margin.

Like Stads, I also like "Cover My Eyes" but I feel it doesn't mesh with the album itself. Overall, I prefer the album as it was released.

I'm not a huge fan of either You Not Me, or You Or Me (I think they're the same song more or less, and "Desmond Child" isn't the kiss of death for me) and ironically, it was the making of that sort of sealed the deal on that.  The isolated backing vocals - "Yeeewwwwwwwwwwww, not MEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!" are hard for me to unhear.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline nick_z

« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2023, 09:36:41 AM »

Very much agree with this. Not only do the songs breathe, but the album has a ton of cool songwriting ideas. Granted, not all of them successful, but despite all that was going on during that time, with the pressure and such, I do feel this is still a record from a "hungry" band. It was a time when you weren't quite sure what to expect from a DT record as you dropped the needle (figuratively) on it. Love the sound, love MP's performance on it.

I feel similarly to you about You Not Me vs. You Or Me, although I wish they had kept the melodic mid-section that was on the demo. Really like that one. But, yes, I like the chorus on the album version better. In terms of the excluded songs: I have said it before - I would have liked to hear Raise The Knife with the album production - I think it's a cool combo of DT's technical approach and the more stripped down sound of the FII era. And I have a soft spot for the U2/The Cure vibe of Speak To Me. Burning My Soul is easily my least favorite tune on the album, so I would have happily swapped it for one of those.

New Millennium, Peruvian Skies, and (especially) Hell's Kitchen, Lines in the Sand, Trial of Tears are top, top-shelf DT songs in my book.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: March 17, 2023, 12:13:12 PM »
I feel similarly to you about You Not Me vs. You Or Me, although I wish they had kept the melodic mid-section that was on the demo. Really like that one. But, yes, I like the chorus on the album version better.

I think the chorus of You Not Me is a little better, but everything else about You Or Me is superior IMO.  And the You Or Me chorus allows the overlapping vocals at the end that wouldn't work with the You Not Me chorus.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: March 17, 2023, 01:10:25 PM »

Very much agree with this. Not only do the songs breathe, but the album has a ton of cool songwriting ideas. Granted, not all of them successful, but despite all that was going on during that time, with the pressure and such, I do feel this is still a record from a "hungry" band. It was a time when you weren't quite sure what to expect from a DT record as you dropped the needle (figuratively) on it. Love the sound, love MP's performance on it.

I feel similarly to you about You Not Me vs. You Or Me, although I wish they had kept the melodic mid-section that was on the demo. Really like that one. But, yes, I like the chorus on the album version better. In terms of the excluded songs: I have said it before - I would have liked to hear Raise The Knife with the album production - I think it's a cool combo of DT's technical approach and the more stripped down sound of the FII era. And I have a soft spot for the U2/The Cure vibe of Speak To Me. Burning My Soul is easily my least favorite tune on the album, so I would have happily swapped it for one of those.

New Millennium, Peruvian Skies, and (especially) Hell's Kitchen, Lines in the Sand, Trial of Tears are top, top-shelf DT songs in my book.

Agreed on the bold. I think Raise the Knife needs a little work (it's...not sure how to phrase this right...it's a little choppy/clunky). But I dig the vibe and think it could have/should have made the record. Speak to Me, stupidly, I meant to say in my post. Love that tune. Totally should have been on FII.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline HOF

« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2023, 03:41:33 PM »
I love FII, both as is and with the unreleased tracks included in some way. I’d drop Burning My Soul, Just Let Me Breath, and Peruvian Skies for Raise the Knife, Speak to Me, and The Way It Used To Be. If we need more time, just boot You Not Me.

But I also think as a double album they could have maybe arranged it to have the heavier songs on one disc and the lighter songs on the other.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2023, 08:14:30 PM »
I’d drop Burning My Soul, Just Let Me Breath, and Peruvian Skies....

Keep going...  :laugh:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kram

« Reply #205 on: March 21, 2023, 12:35:59 PM »
I love FII, both as is and with the unreleased tracks included in some way. I’d drop Burning My Soul, Just Let Me Breath, and Peruvian Skies for Raise the Knife, Speak to Me, and The Way It Used To Be. If we need more time, just boot You Not Me.

But I also think as a double album they could have maybe arranged it to have the heavier songs on one disc and the lighter songs on the other.
I'd keep Peruvian Skies but like your other edits.  Of course a double album would've been cool!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2023, 03:36:26 PM »
I haven't given this one a spin lately, but when I do, I'll have no problem getting through it. :)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2023, 09:14:32 PM »
I'm a big fan of this album, but I can definitely see why so many fans, especially at the time of its release, disliked it. I only recently got into Dream Theater so from my perspective this album is a cool detour away from their usual style and showcases a side of the band that isn't present on any of their other albums. But if I were a fan back in 1997, itching for more stuff like Images and Words, Awake, and Change of Seasons I would definitely be pretty pissed to get this instead.

I've recently been experimenting with the demos and my ideal version is a 2-disc album constructed in a similar way to King Crimson's Three of a Perfect Pair. The first half of the album is the poppier, more accessible material while the second half contains the proggier, heavier stuff. I call it "Two Sides of Infinity". Every song is the demo version.

Disc One:
1. You or Me
2. Cover My Eyes
3. Where Are You Now?
4. Take Away My Pain
5. Anna Lee
6. Just Let Me Breathe
7. Hollow years
8. The Way It Used to Be
9. Speak to Me
Total length: 56 mins 43 sec

Disc Two:
1. Raise the Knife
2. New Millennium
3. Burning My Soul
4. Peruvian Skies
5. Lines in the Sand
6. Trial of Tears
Total length: 1 hr 2 mins

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2023, 09:17:45 AM »
That looks so cool! I'll definitely try it out

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2023, 04:12:45 PM »
I'm a big fan of this album, but I can definitely see why so many fans, especially at the time of its release, disliked it. I only recently got into Dream Theater so from my perspective this album is a cool detour away from their usual style and showcases a side of the band that isn't present on any of their other albums. But if I were a fan back in 1997, itching for more stuff like Images and Words, Awake, and Change of Seasons I would definitely be pretty pissed to get this instead.

While there might be some truth to what you're suggesting, I think a big part of the problem was the fact that some of the songs had been changed significantly between the original demo version and the final studio version. We knew this because we had been getting pretty much a play-by-play from the band in the Images and Words fanzine during the time period where they were doing the writing, even telling us the length of the songs. Plus they had premiered an instrumental excerpt of RtK at two shows in 1995 which whet the fans' appetite for a song that never appeared on the album, and they premiered 5 songs at the Fix for '96 shows - two of which were changed significantly (BMS and TAMP) and one was more streamlined (LitS). So at least for the diehards "in the know" such as in the fan clubs and/or on the Ytsejam Mailing List, getting FII (complete with a cover not using the band's font and barely showing the Majesty symbol) was a huge shock. Those feelings were reinforced by those that had the Japanese version of FII and the HY single which featured 2 demos each - one heavily changed, and one that didn't make the cut. Prior to that, I don't remember reading any comments by fans in the fanzine or the mailing list that expressed concern or disappointment over the new songs that DT was preparing for FII.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.