Author Topic: Led Zeppelin appreciation thread  (Read 13898 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Led Zeppelin appreciation thread
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2018, 08:13:58 AM »
Anyone here pick up the vinyl of How the West Was Won? I was thinking about it, but was curious about the sound. Jimmy usually does a stellar job, but was hoping some of the Zepp Heads here could give their opinions.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2018, 08:25:46 AM »
I don't hate Coda but I don't like it either. The songs are (imo) definitely leftovers for a reason, they are not good enough. I only bought it because it had Led Zeppelin on the sleeve. If it were by any other band I wouldn't have even bothered. So it's not because it's LZ that I "hate" it, it's because of LZ that I gave it a chance.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2018, 08:52:00 AM »
I don't hate Coda but I don't like it either. The songs are (imo) definitely leftovers for a reason, they are not good enough. I only bought it because it had Led Zeppelin on the sleeve. If it were by any other band I wouldn't have even bothered. So it's not because it's LZ that I "hate" it, it's because of LZ that I gave it a chance.

Couldn't have typed it better myself.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2018, 09:12:43 AM »
Huh, your avatar is wrong, instead of Kim-Jong Il I see Rainbow Dash.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2018, 09:26:59 AM »
Man, I like Coda... not their strongest album but I like it.

Controversial statement:  Coda only gets hate because it's Zeppelin and it has to be compared to the monumental albums that came before.    It's an album of Zeppelin leftovers; most other bands release that, and it's an epic album.  Hell, in a very real way, "Tattoo You" by the Stones is essentially "Coda", with two differences:  it wasn't a posthumous release, and it wasn't the Stones' last release.

Not very controversial.  It's not a bad album, but it certainly isn't "epic" - even by 1982 standards.

No, but what I'm saying is that the songs only suck when compared to "Stairway" and "Kashmir".   Most other bands would kill to have those songs relegated to 'outtake' status.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »
Huh, your avatar is wrong, instead of Kim-Jong Il I see Rainbow Dash.  ;D

jingle lost a bet and that is his punishment  :lol

I do think Coda gets a bad rap just by virtue of being 'leftovers' but I'll take Zep's leftovers over many other bands' best.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2020, 05:57:11 PM »
Don't know if this has been covered elsewhere....

I haven't been following this closely, but, apparently, in 2014, the successor in interest to a guy named Randy Wolfe sued members of Led Zeppelin and various Warner Music entities.  The plaintiff claimed that Stairway to Heaven infringed a song called Taurus, which was performed by a band called Spirit.  More specifically, the plaintiff claimed that the opening passage of Stairway infringed the eight measure passage at the beginning of the deposit copy of Taurus (written sheet music).**

After granting a motion for partial summary judgment by the defendants, the court held a five-day jury trial, which resulted in a defense verdict.  The jury determined that the songs were not substantially similar (which is the standard for copyright infringement).  In 2018, a panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the judgment and remanded the case for a new trial.  Last week, the Ninth Circuit, en banc (i.e., all of the judges on the court as opposed to the normal three judge panel) reinstated the jury verdict.  https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2020/03/09/16-56057.pdf

One of the more significant aspects of this ruling is that it gets rid of a rule used in the Ninth Circuit (and I believe one other circuit) called the "inverse ratio rule."  That rule essentially made it easier to prove substantial similarity for works to which the defendant had a "high degree of access."  In other words, where a work is fairly well-known, it set the similarity bar lower than it might be for an obscure or unknown work.

** - Under the 1909 Copyright Act, which was in effect at the time both Taurus and Stairway were created (and which, as of 1/1/1978, was replaced by the 1976 Copyright Act), registration was a prerequisite to copyright, so the court held that only the deposited sheet music was relevant.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2021, 08:21:18 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2021, 04:49:05 AM »
:caffeine:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2021, 08:04:25 PM »
was Mary Tyler Moore a fan? (or 1 of the MTM show producers i imagine).

https://twitter.com/JoshF618/status/1425262467979124736/photo/1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2021, 11:04:39 AM »
That took me a minute...  :) :)