Author Topic: Led Zeppelin appreciation thread  (Read 13897 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Led Zeppelin appreciation thread
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2018, 10:37:55 PM »
I also like In Through the Out Door more than Presence, although I think it's obvious that that those two and III don't measure up to all of their other studio albums (not counting Coda).  And there is no shame in that.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2018, 01:59:04 AM »
Now let III out of this. Although it has the obscure Hats Off To Roy Harper, the rest of the songs is stellar and far above most of the songs from Presence and In Through The Out Door.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2018, 05:02:35 AM »
Those three are my favorite Zeppelin albums along with IV and Houses. But that's five out of eight albums.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2018, 05:10:42 AM »
Now let III out of this. Although it has the obscure Hats Off To Roy Harper, the rest of the songs is stellar and far above most of the songs from Presence and In Through The Out Door.

So. Much. This.

If Hats Off had been replaced with Hey Hey, it'd be my fave Zeppelin album.  That song alone (Hats Off) drops III to being tied with II as my 2nd fave Zeppelin album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2018, 05:22:40 AM »
Those three are my favorite Zeppelin albums along with IV and Houses. But that's five out of eight albums.  :lol

Sometimes I think the first six records are my favorites with the last two as close second. :biggrin:
Doesn't really make sense, but every time I try to rank them it turns out much different than before. Those records are just so good.  :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2018, 06:52:05 AM »
I don't get the butt-hurt over Hats Off! Then again, back when the album was young, we were experimenting with a tremendous amount of chemicals. You youngin's gotta channel your inner purple microdot and get with the trippy take on folk blues.

Seriously though, I don't know of anyone who ever said, "Yeah, let's listen to Hats Off from Led 3." but that album is all kinds of cool even with this song. Personally, when listened to as a whole, I kinda like it as a closer to this particular album.

Come at me, bro.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2018, 06:57:34 AM »
I can see it being a 'trippy' tune.  But, the slide guitar and mega-phone vocals just grate my entire body.  I cannot hit skip/stop fast enough.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2018, 07:01:05 AM »
You just need to take a big cougher from the bong, lean back in the bean bag, and let it wash over you. You'll get, it. I have faith in you.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2018, 07:35:55 AM »
I like III a lot, but I just can't put it on the level of I, II, IV, Houses or Physical.

Immigrant Song and Since I've Been Loving You are two of my favorite LZ songs, and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp has to be their best song that rarely gets talked about.  Love that one.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2018, 07:41:14 AM »
You just need to take a big cougher from the bong, lean back in the bean bag, and let it wash over you. You'll get, it. I have faith in you.

I just recently went through a bunch of Zeppelin while higher than a kite and let me tell you it did not make Hats Off any better.  :lol This is how I'd rank Zeppelin's albums personally, from favorite to least favorite (not 'best' or 'worst' because I like them all):

1. ZoSo
2. Physical Graffiti
3. Houses of the Holy
4. Led Zeppelin 1
5. Led Zeppelin 2
6. Led Zeppelin 3
7. Coda
8. In Through The Out Door
9. Presence

I like ITTOD and Presence just fine, but they're not quite as enjoyable as the rest, even Coda, imo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2018, 07:46:20 AM »
It is hard for me to rate IV.  I was already tired of Black Dog and Rock and Roll by the time I actually bought the CD, so neither have ever been favorites.  On the flip side, Going to California has really grown on me over time (I used to not like it), and it goes without saying that Stairway to Heaven and When the Levee Breaks are awesome.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2018, 08:08:22 AM »
It is hard for me to rate IV.  I was already tired of Black Dog and Rock and Roll by the time I actually bought the CD, so neither have ever been favorites. 

I hear ya.  Tired or not, they are still fantastic songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2018, 08:48:39 AM »
Late to the party, but...

1. Physical Graffiti (Ten Years Gone)
2. Houses of the Holy (Rain Song)
3. Untitled (Stairway To Heaven)
4. Led Zeppelin II (Bring It On Home)
5. Led Zeppelin (How Many More Times or Your Time Is Gonna Come)
6. Presence (Achilles Last Stand)
7. In Through The Out Door (I'm Gonna Crawl)
8. Led Zeppelin III (Hey Hey What Can I Do?)
9. Coda (Wearing And Tearing)

Live albums:
1. How The West Was Won
1. The Song Remains The Same
1. BBC Sessions

Hard to compare the live releases, since they are all very different and accomplish different things.  All are essential, and all are monumental.   I am always amazed, though that there isn't more officially released live stuff, since a) Page has it, b) it's out there already but in poor quality, and c) there were too many nights when they were just SO FUCKING GOOD.   

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2018, 11:46:13 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks In Through The Out Door should get way more love than it gets? With the exception of Hot Dog, I think every song is awesome on there. Even Carouselambra, which I do not think is too long.
It has Fool In The Rain with the awesome Bonham Halftime-Shuffle. The beautiful All Of My Love with that strings and nylon guitar interlude and a pretty cool synths solo. I'm Gonna Crawl is Zeppelin's swan song, just beautiful. I really don't mind the keyboards being all over the place.

In Through The Out Door is in the top 3 way tie for my favorite Zep album (along with Zeppelin I and IV)... and Fool In The Rain is probably my second favorite Zep song (2nd only to In The Light).
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2018, 12:59:21 PM »
Ooh, I want to play!

1. Houses of the holy (The Crunge, The Rain song, Dancin' days, No quarter)
2. In through the out door (I'm gonna crawl, All my love, Carouselambra, In the evening)
3. IV (Stairway to heaven, Misty mountain hop, Black dog, Rock and roll)
4. III (Since I've been loving you, Immigrant song, Celebration day, Hats-off to Roy Harper)
5. Presence (Achiles last stand, Nobody's fault but mine, Royal Orleans)
6. Physical graffiti (Kashmir, Trampled underfoot, In my time of dying, Sick again)
7. II (Heartbreaker, Ramble on, Whole lotta love)
8. I (Good times bad times)

I like all of them except for the debut, which is probably because I'm not a fan of their pure blues. II is solid but maybe slighty overrated, and Physical graffiti does have some of their masterpieces, but also some of my least favorite songs by the band.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2018, 02:15:20 PM »
Ooh, I want to play!

1. Houses of the holy (The Crunge, The Rain song, Dancin' days, No quarter)
2. In through the out door (I'm gonna crawl, All my love, Carouselambra, In the evening)
3. IV (Stairway to heaven, Misty mountain hop, Black dog, Rock and roll)
4. III (Since I've been loving you, Immigrant song, Celebration day, Hats-off to Roy Harper)
5. Presence (Achiles last stand, Nobody's fault but mine, Royal Orleans)
6. Physical graffiti (Kashmir, Trampled underfoot, In my time of dying, Sick again)
7. II (Heartbreaker, Ramble on, Whole lotta love)
8. I (Good times bad times)

I like all of them except for the debut, which is probably because I'm not a fan of their pure blues. II is solid but maybe slighty overrated, and Physical graffiti does have some of their masterpieces, but also some of my least favorite songs by the band.

Respect!

"I gave my baby, a twenty-dollar bill
If that don't get that girl
I know my shot-shot gun will
Yeah, yeah
Gave my baby
A twenty-doooollar bill"

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2018, 03:24:28 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks In Through The Out Door should get way more love than it gets? With the exception of Hot Dog, I think every song is awesome on there. Even Carouselambra, which I do not think is too long.
It has Fool In The Rain with the awesome Bonham Halftime-Shuffle. The beautiful All Of My Love with that strings and nylon guitar interlude and a pretty cool synths solo. I'm Gonna Crawl is Zeppelin's swan song, just beautiful. I really don't mind the keyboards being all over the place.

In Through The Out Door is in the top 3 way tie for my favorite Zep album (along with Zeppelin I and IV)... and Fool In The Rain is probably my second favorite Zep song (2nd only to In The Light).

THANK YOU pun intended

In The Light is one of their greatest songs for me. Very underrated.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2018, 06:39:20 PM »
   I am always amazed, though that there isn't more officially released live stuff, since a) Page has it, b) it's out there already but in poor quality, and c) there were too many nights when they were just SO FUCKING GOOD.

This x 100. We need Page to release another live package. I mean, DT has released how many live albums (not even counting YTSEJAM stuff)?  vs Zeppelin’s paltry three....?
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline jammindude

« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2018, 06:49:40 PM »
To be fair, Celebration Day makes 4.  (unless you're not counting the BBC Sessions)   But ya....

Speaking of which.  How about ranking the LZ Live albums?   I have not yet heard How the West Was Won, so I disqualify myself. (which sucks, because I've heard it's the best)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2018, 07:00:21 PM »

I LOVE this song!!!!!!!!!

Easily in my Zep Top 10, maybe Top 5.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2018, 09:06:43 PM »

I LOVE this song!!!!!!!!!

Easily in my Zep Top 10, maybe Top 5.

It is the only decent song from Coda, but I'm not sure I'd even put it Top 20 material.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2018, 12:51:32 AM »
Nothing from Coda would be in my top whatever list.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2018, 03:57:31 AM »
Same here. Poor Tom is an interesting cut, but the rest of it didn't particularly make me want to return to the album.

The hate towards Hats-off to Roy Harper is understandable. However, I get a kick out of the oddly produced guitars and distorted vocals. Sometimes I see it as a novelty song, it's humorous and just plain out fun. That's also the reason The Crunge is one of my favorites by the band.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2018, 05:32:49 AM »
I don't hate Hats Off, it's just an obscure song that doesn't really fit the album imo, especially as a closer.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2018, 05:40:39 AM »
Hat is too strong a word... actively dislike is where it fits for me.  Along with D'yer Mak'er.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2018, 06:48:44 AM »
C'mon D'yer Mak'er is not world class but it's kinda cute.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2018, 07:03:20 AM »
Don't worry too much about it Kwyjibo. jingle enjoys the look on little kid's faces when he boot-stomps the life out of puppies too.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2018, 07:42:50 AM »
Excluding Coda as an official album, In through the Out Door was my least favorite Zep album.   I attribute it to many factors.  The biggest being that it was primarily a Jones/Plant Keyboard influenced album, with Jimmy battling heroin at the time he had less input and obviously let Jonsey run with it.  I've always wondered what direction Zep would have took if John hadn't died and Page and Bonham cleaned up their act.

I think from everything I've read or heard Bonham wouldn't have lasted much longer.  He couldn't stand touring and being away from his family and farm

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2018, 08:15:21 AM »
Being that most of my LZ CD purchases were when I was around 19-20 and strapped for cash, and this was pre-internet, I bought most of them because, hey, that album has that song!

I bought IV because of Stairway to Heaven.

I bought II because of Whole Lotta Love.

I bought In Through the Out Door because of Fool in the Rain.

I bought bought Houses of the Holy because of D'yer Mak'er.

That that, jingle.boy. :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »
TASTES!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2018, 09:56:27 AM »
Or lack thereof...:P

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2018, 10:55:48 AM »
To aquire a taste as good as mine takes a lot of hard work  :angel:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2018, 12:36:56 PM »
Man, I like Coda... not their strongest album but I like it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2018, 08:08:39 AM »

Controversial statement:  Coda only gets hate because it's Zeppelin and it has to be compared to the monumental albums that came before.    It's an album of Zeppelin leftovers; most other bands release that, and it's an epic album.  Hell, in a very real way, "Tattoo You" by the Stones is essentially "Coda", with two differences:  it wasn't a posthumous release, and it wasn't the Stones' last release.   

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2018, 08:10:45 AM »

Controversial statement:  Coda only gets hate because it's Zeppelin and it has to be compared to the monumental albums that came before.    It's an album of Zeppelin leftovers; most other bands release that, and it's an epic album.  Hell, in a very real way, "Tattoo You" by the Stones is essentially "Coda", with two differences:  it wasn't a posthumous release, and it wasn't the Stones' last release.

Not very controversial.  It's not a bad album, but it certainly isn't "epic" - even by 1982 standards.