Author Topic: Having fun at a bar, DT style  (Read 15874 times)

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Having fun at a bar, DT style
« on: January 03, 2010, 10:13:40 PM »
Do you go to bars, only to be annoyed by dance music or whatever crap people decide to play?  Well, I took revenge for all of you.  I went to a bar with some friends over holiday break, and the bar had one of those internet jukeboxes.  For $5, I created the following setlist (songs chosen for their length only):

Octavarium
Learning To Live
In The Name of God
The Glass Prison
The Count of Tuscany

The procession of sluts leaving was legendary, I wish I would have thought to take a video.  The great part was that I got to catch up with old friends I haven't seen in 10+ years while enjoying great music, and I didn't have to shout to have a conversation.

The great part is that since DT songs tend to be longer, you get more bang for your buck than most people  :biggrin:

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: Having fun at a bar, DT style
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »
PICS

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 10:18:09 PM »
I've never heard of/seen an Internet jukebox before, but that's pretty sick!
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline j

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:32:34 PM »
The procession of sluts leaving was legendary, I wish I would have thought to take a video.

:rollin

-J

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:41:45 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal            :metal

:metal

Offline Valdor

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:22:02 AM »
^
I approve of this wall of metal.
Seriously, internet jukeboxes are a great idea!
Surely one day they'll work out it would be simpler and far more legal just to suckle on each others' teats in a kind of wonderful 69 of eternal calcium goodness.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 04:36:44 AM »
Enjoy the fail that is my local:

If songs like that are put on, the people behind the bar mute the jukebox and put CDs on.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 04:59:05 AM »
The guy who does karaoke at the bar I usually go to is a DT fan. Every week he plays at least one song for him and I to enjoy.  

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 05:11:11 AM »
DTVT IS THE MAN

Offline Pierced Brosnan

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 06:25:28 AM »
This is awesome. I wish I had been there. There should be some sort of communal bar where DT fans can go meet every week and just rock out to awesome music. :D
The band describing John Myung:
JLB: "He's deep. He's deep in thought"
JP: "We have a deep understanding musically"
JR: "John Myung is a very deep kind of person"
MP: "John Myung is an enigma... N he's deep as fuck yo'"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 06:35:26 AM »
I once played home at a bar.  I forgot how awkward the middle section is.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 08:47:11 AM »
:tup well played sir
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »
I do this occasionally at our Thursday Happy Hour place.  I've routinely played their cover of Love Lies Bleeding, but have been known to play Under a Glass Moon and Metropolis as well.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 08:56:11 AM »
Flawless victory  :metal
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 09:00:32 AM »
The procession of sluts leaving was legendary
Something tells me you're doing this whole "bar" thing wrong.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »
My SU bar used to have Wither and Hollow Years on the jukebox. I was dead impressed. Used to mix it with a bit of Muse and APC for a good twenty minutes of music.

Then they changed it to a shitty one which only has R&B and epileptic visuals of girls shooting each other. Apparently it was a better deal. Gutted. :(

They also got smaller pool tables. Booo!

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 10:05:02 AM »

They also got smaller pool tables.

I thought they were standard size?

Offline bmc

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 11:14:09 AM »
Do you go to bars, only to be annoyed by dance music or whatever crap people decide to play?  Well, I took revenge for all of you.  I went to a bar with some friends over holiday break, and the bar had one of those internet jukeboxes.  For $5, I created the following setlist (songs chosen for their length only):

Octavarium
Learning To Live
In The Name of God
The Glass Prison
The Count of Tuscany

The procession of sluts leaving was legendary, I wish I would have thought to take a video.  The great part was that I got to catch up with old friends I haven't seen in 10+ years while enjoying great music, and I didn't have to shout to have a conversation.

The great part is that since DT songs tend to be longer, you get more bang for your buck than most people  :biggrin:

ive done this as well, thankfully it was at a bar that people mainly listened to rock at, and they didnt shut off the jukebox.  i went to a local show at a bar here and was amazed to hear 6:00 being played between bands tearing down and setting up.
Quote from: SinisterMinisterX
Both "feel" longer than they are (in a good way).

Offline robwebster

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 11:21:09 AM »

They also got smaller pool tables.

I thought they were standard size?
Not these ones. Tiny little buggers.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 04:58:15 PM »
You wanted to chase away the sluts? :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 05:08:40 PM »
Excellent.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 05:30:53 PM »
:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal            :metal

:metal

this and you have just won 20,000 internets!!!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 05:39:26 PM »

Jeeze, thank you. Even as someone who doesn't like bar sluts, I mean, let's consider this for a moment.

I like to request music, but I like to be sure it's appropriate for the atmosphere. Fortunately, that means I can get some Rush and Metallica in there, but I've never felt the need to request something flat out ridiculous like Master of Puppets. Why? Because then I'm that guy who's just killing the atmosphere. Why are you proud of bring that guy???
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 05:45:46 PM »
that's a pretty cool idea.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »
Justice!! Well done :P

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »
You wanted to chase away the sluts? :lol

I was sort of thinking the same thing.  Sure those girls aren't my type at all, but at least a good amount of them are pretty to look at (please do not kill me awesome female members of DTF).  Whenever I try to sneak some prog in, I try and make sure its something softer (like Hollow Years or Wither), a song everyone seems to know (A Favor House Atlantic, Roundabout, Tom Sawyer), or awesome and commercially accessible, even if its little-known (Kayleigh, Trains), that way everybody sorta wins.  Putting on ludicrously long songs just seems very snobbish and to lots of people there, you are now a dick in their minds for ruining their nice time, even though they probably just went to the other bar across the street and got smashed while you seemed to have a nice time.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:32:40 PM by skydivingninja »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 10:34:35 PM »
I've never heard of/seen an Internet jukebox before, but that's pretty sick!
Need to get out more.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 11:48:19 PM »
Dick move.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 02:43:17 AM »
Tbf, if those bars are anything like the bars I go to - and I'd assume they are, given that they have a jukebox - everyone just puts on their own stuff anyway. That's kind of the whole point. It'll go from Toploader to Pantera to Tupac to Alice Cooper to Slayer in the blink of an eye, there is no unified atmosphere. People might sing along if they're drunk enough when a song they know (or requested!) comes on, and then resume drinking and enjoying their time.

Heck, what's wrong with Dream Theater anyway? Put on the Residents if you want to clear the room, but DT play pretty palatable rock music for the most part. I very much doubt that the string of girls leaving had anything to do with the music that was on. Sure, Octavarium's a bit slow for eight minutes or so, but if you put on A Change of Seasons I doubt anyone's gonna be listening intently enough to realise that it's been the same song playing for the last twenty minutes. They're just going to hear "some rock song that they don't know" five times over - wow, you've sure ruined their pub atmosphere!

Seriously it's not like he put on some kind of avant-garde drone symphony. He felt like a bit of DT so he put it on. Bit abusive inasmuch as he got an hour's worth of music for the same price as what would usually constitute about 20 minutes' worth, but other than that I don't get why everyone's being so dicky about it. It's a bit of a laugh and he put some rockin' songs on. Fair play I say.

I mean don't get me wrong, the "URRRR get rid of the HATEFUL SINFUL PEEPLES" attitude to social interaction is completely baffling and a little bit Gollum if he's being serious (which I very much doubt), but it's not like he set off a chemical weapon. Give the guy a break.

I'm aware that that was inordinately long, but then I'm an inordinately long kinda guy. If you catch my drift.

...ladies? :hat

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 06:02:36 AM »
One of the bars in Stornoway has Hocus Pocus by Focus on the jukebox :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 10:01:16 AM »
If some asshole can play that reggaeton crap for an hour that has the same beat in ever song, I don't see what's wrong with this.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 10:01:31 AM »

:lol

+1

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love internet jukeboxes and I very often use them to play less known songs or more obscure bands or whatever, but generally I try to at least pick out stuff that other people wouldn't mind listening to.  I think it gets pretty obnoxious when people put on stuff that clearly does not fit in with the bar setting.  I mean, if I wanna listen to that, I can just go home and do it myself.

But then again, I did once find an internet jukebox that had everything from "Score" available on it, and I couldn't resist playing Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, since the entire song was on there as a single track :).  But generally speaking I do try to steer clear of being "that guy".

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 09:39:36 PM »
Awesome :lol
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 07:18:10 AM »
Do you go to bars, only to be annoyed by dance music or whatever crap people decide to play?  Well, I took revenge for all of you.  I went to a bar with some friends over holiday break, and the bar had one of those internet jukeboxes.  For $5, I created the following setlist (songs chosen for their length only):

Octavarium
Learning To Live
In The Name of God
The Glass Prison
The Count of Tuscany

The procession of sluts leaving was legendary, I wish I would have thought to take a video.  The great part was that I got to catch up with old friends I haven't seen in 10+ years while enjoying great music, and I didn't have to shout to have a conversation.

The great part is that since DT songs tend to be longer, you get more bang for your buck than most people  :biggrin:

You are godly. Last time I played songs on an internet jukebox they skipped it... [Rule 5'ed].
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:27:15 AM by ZeppelinDT »

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 07:29:01 AM »
I know you've only been here for 3 months, but I think that should be a sufficient amount of time to read the rules at least once.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=7.0

Quote from: Rule 5
No posts that use slang terms for any race, sexual preference, or religious background.