Author Topic: Piano Improv -- Comments welcome  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Bipolarcat

Piano Improv -- Comments welcome
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:39:48 PM »
If this isn't the right place to post original work, please move it  :P

I made a little video of three songs. The 1st and 3rd are originals and the 2nd is an exerpt from Christofori's Dream by David Lanz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_ffPWHuMjE

It's nothing serious, just a short little jam.

Criticism is totally welcome.

Thanks, DTF!

-Bipolarcat

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
Re: Piano Improv -- Comments welcome
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 06:33:10 PM »
I liked it. The pads add a cool atmosphere.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »
It's pretty good, I definitely hear creativity in there.

I do have some remarks about your technique:

First, you're sitting way too low. Your elbows should be level with the white keys. This is also causing you to sit too close to the keyboard. When you sit with your hands on the keyboard, your elbows should be able to touch each other when you move them together. Sitting this far from the keyboard will seem akward at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Another important point: You should watch the curve of your fingers. Your fingers should be at the same angle as when they hang by your sides. In many parts of the video you're curling your fingers to get your thumb to the keyboard. For more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ydx84Sp1rc

This also leads to the next point, ulnar deviation. When you play the keyboard, your hands should be in line with your wrists as often as possible, like the middle hand:

Keeping the wrist straight is much better for your tendons and will help prevent tendonitis and carpal tunnel. It also makes your playing more relaxed. Try holding your wrist in a straight line and moving your fingers rapidly. Now try and bend your wrist to the side like the left and right hand and move your fingers rapidly. You'll notice that it's a lot easier when you hold your wrist in a straight line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H3O0AyvJm8

One more tip, to play octaves more legato (smoothly) you can play them alternating with your ring finger and pinky. Playing every octave with your pinky isn't wrong, but it sounds nicer when you use your ring finger too.

Improving on these points will not only improve your technique, it will also drastically reduce your chances of RSI-related injury. This may sounds like a lot of criticism, but you're doing a lot of stuff right. The creative energy is certainly there, you just need to work on your technique a bit to be able to let all of it out.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 09:35:24 AM by In The Name Of Rudess »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 04:11:02 PM »
Good job dude, 5-starred it for ya.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon