Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232737 times)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: Marillion
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2010, 09:41:15 AM »
Montreal is awesome! :tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »
Loving This Strange Engine (track)...Never really had as much of a connection with the Hogarth era as I do Fish but I think somethings about to change....just WOW!  :o ;D

And bleeds and bleeds
And dies for you
And lies
And is to blame
And is ashamed
And is not the same
And is true

This Strange Engine (album) is among my Hogarth favorites along with Seasons End and Marbles.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2010, 12:00:45 AM »
Take out Hope For The Future and TSE is a really good album. But unfortunately, it's there, so it gets pulled down quite a bit. The title track is one of my favourite Marillion songs, though. h goes full throttle on there, which is always good.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2010, 07:26:40 PM »
Yeah Hogarth should really start to blast it more, I can't enough! Even though I do love a lot of the softer songs.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2010, 09:25:32 AM »
I really like h's voice, but I get the feeling that he's been overdoing it with the falsetto on the last few releases, especially on the "Essence" part of HITR. I really enjoyed his singing on Anoraknophobia and Marbles, though.

Mentlegen.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2010, 09:23:41 PM »
I REALLY hope Fish brings this stateside in 2011.

I think it's been almost 25 years since he attempted this nugget of fruity goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6lyRYfu5Mg

I had butterflies the first 5 times I watched it. Just wow.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2010, 08:54:08 AM »
That's a great clip!  Except for all the fans singing over Fish! 
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2010, 09:53:56 PM »
That's a great clip!  Except for all the fans singing over Fish! 

But that's exactly what happens at a Fish/Marillion concert.

That's part of the attraction (at least it is for me provided everyone is not completely flat).

Being part of a moment like that is hard to desribe unless you've been there.

On the other side of the coin is this.... where you get the patented Hogarth faux pout routine... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHl4M2D6YUE

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2011, 02:02:39 PM »
I recently came across a DVD of Fish, and he performs Misplaced Childhood in its entirety.  Its not quite La Gazza Ladra, but its awesome!! 
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2011, 02:39:08 PM »
Ytserush is right.  I saw him do Sugarmice in SF many moons ago, and you couldn't even hear him, but the solidarity of the fans plus the emotional impact of the song on me brought tears to my eyes.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »
Saw Fish in 09 in Connecticut. Awesome show!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2011, 09:10:33 PM »
Ytserush is right.  I saw him do Sugarmice in SF many moons ago, and you couldn't even hear him, but the solidarity of the fans plus the emotional impact of the song on me brought tears to my eyes.

There's nothing like it. There are very few bands where I have experienced that.

Posted by: Beowulf 
I recently came across a DVD of Fish, and he performs Misplaced Childhood in its entirety.  Its not quite La Gazza Ladra, but its awesome!!

If that's the 20th Anniversary Return To Childhood DVD, you might enjoy that one more than I do.  It's not bad, but I've listened to the studio and a multitude of live versions from 1985-1988 and it just kills me sometimes to hear Fish do it with his band.

I don't usually get caught up in the nostalgia of the moment, but in this case I do. I have yet to hear a reinterptration of "Misplaced Childhood" that even comes close to the original performances

What's worse is the Fools Company DVD from Holland in 2002. I cry for a different reason when I put that on. Fish's solo work is the reason to have that DVD, but I really have to cringe when I hear Misplaced Childhood on this DVD. I think even Fish admits that this version is below standard due to not having enough time to rehearse it. But as I said, Fish's solo material is very redeeming in this case.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2011, 05:57:40 PM »
Just a head's up, in about 5-6 weeks time, I will begin a Marillion Survivor over in the Polls/Survivors forum here!

It'll be a HUGE undertaking, so I'm hoping I get plenty of frequent voters each round/album. I've plowed through Spock's Beard/Neal Morse Solo Survivors over the last year with anywhere from 3-12 voters each round/album, but I'm hoping to get a higher average than that with Marillion!

Some preliminary information: I'll do each of the band's 16 Studio Albums in order first, but for the two double-albums, Marbles and Happiness Is The Road, I plan on using 4 Finalists (instead of the normal Top 2), and using the 5th and 6th Place songs from Marbles to go into Consolation, and the 3rd Place of each Volume of HITR for Consolation (each Volume's Top 2 will move to Finals).
After that, I'll do two B-Sides Survivors; One for the Fish-Era, and one for the H-Era. From then on, it should just be Finals.

Anyways, I also wanted to bump this to say just how MUCH I loooooove Marbles, and I rank it as one of my Top 3 Marillion albums (if not number one), and definitely one of my Top 10 albums of all time. And anyone who has only heard the Single Disc version of the album is REALLY missing out on the treat that is the Double Disc version!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2011, 06:13:14 PM »
o rly?..I may have to chek dat one owt.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2011, 06:50:35 PM »
Yay, I am very excited about this survivor. And I also think Marbles is their best album--I love it so much I even named my cat Marbles.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2011, 12:22:52 AM »
I'll definitely participate.

Marbles is my second favourite Marillion album, two of the songs on it are in my top 4 Marillion songs. It could be my favourite if it wasn't for The Damage. What an awful song.

Mentlegen.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2011, 09:02:01 AM »

Marbles is my second favourite Marillion album, two of the songs on it are in my top 4 Marillion songs. It could be my favourite if it wasn't for The Damage. What an awful song.

The Damage is one of the highlights of the album together with Ocean Cloud and The Invisible Man for me especially the Genie reprise part at 3:03 - 3:33 it's so much awesome

Offline Pigeon

« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2011, 09:44:10 AM »
How is Fugazi compared to Marillion's other albums? Both Fish era and H era

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2011, 09:57:05 AM »
I like it a lot, but I'm pretty sure the opinions on it are pretty mixed.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2011, 10:03:34 AM »

especially the Genie reprise part at 3:03 - 3:33 it's so much awesome

I love this part.  The Damage is great.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2011, 11:19:02 AM »
Sorry, it just pales in comparison to genius songs like The Invisible Man, Neverland, The Only Unforgivable Thing, Ocean Cloud, You're Gone and Don't Hurt Yourself imo. Seems like I'm alone with this, though.

As for Fugazi, I quite like it. Fish's vocals are horribly over-dramatic at times, though.

Mentlegen.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »
Fugazi has it's moments, but it's always been my least favorite Fish-era record, and it's not even close.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2011, 03:00:13 PM »
Yeah, I would agree that Fugazi is the weakest of the Fish albums, but it's still quite good. In fact, I think it has the greatest song from the Fish era: Incubus.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2011, 05:40:43 PM »
Awesome I'll join in on that survivor poll!  ;D

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2011, 07:48:31 PM »
I like it a lot, but I'm pretty sure the opinions on it are pretty mixed.

Fugazi is my favorite Fish album if you don't count Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws. I love it, especially when those songs are performed live.

I'm sure I like a few Hogarth-era albums more but the longer I think about it I'm not really sure. Up there with Seasons End, This Strange Engine and Marbles for sure and probably better than the rest.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2011, 01:53:07 PM »
Bump!

Never heard of this band until a live version of Script for a Jester's Tear popped up on Pandora. Way cool song! Where should I start?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
Bump!

Never heard of this band until a live version of Script for a Jester's Tear popped up on Pandora. Way cool song! Where should I start?

Well if you liked that song, definitely check out the rest of their debut album, and the other 3 Fish-era albums. You can't really go wrong with either of them, and if you like them enough, you'll eventually get all four. Be sure to get the 2-disc remaster versions though, as the bonus discs contain some b-sides and other cool tracks!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2011, 01:58:33 PM »

Well if you liked that song, definitely check out the rest of their debut album, and the other 3 Fish-era albums. You can't really go wrong with either of them, and if you like them enough, you'll eventually get all four. Be sure to get the 2-disc remaster versions though, as the bonus discs contain some b-sides and other cool tracks!

-Marc.

Sweet! Just one of the many reasons I love Pandora.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2011, 02:07:46 PM »
Clutching at Straws and Misplaced Childhood are the best, but as long as you start in the Fish-era you'll be doing great.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2011, 06:29:51 PM »

What's your favorite Marillion album, out of curiosity?
Bump!

Yeah, Script is a good song.  Get Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws (I was never a fan of the debut album apart from the title track).  If you like those enough get the first two as well.  After that, listen to Marbles and prepare for a completely different (better) band.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2011, 03:24:08 AM »

What's your favorite Marillion album, out of curiosity?

Seasons End. Yours?

Mentlegen.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2011, 10:55:40 AM »
Marbles.  Season's End is definitely up there though with Brave and Anoraknophobia.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »
Since this thread has made its way back up to the top page, I figured now would be a good time to notify all you fellow Marillion fans that I will begin a Marillion Survivor next month, sometime in the first week of March.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20558.0

Check out this thread for more information in the coming weeks, and stay tuned to the P/S forum for the Survivor to begin, starting with Script For A Jester's Tear!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #173 on: March 02, 2011, 12:14:42 AM »
BUMP...just so I can pimp out my Marillion Survivor! Fish-Era fans, I'll be going in Chronological order, so if you love the first four albums, definitely come to the Polls/Survivors Forum and vote Vote VOTE! :tup

-Marc.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2011, 10:59:04 PM »
The Marillion survivor is up and running (currently on Fugazi, and Misplaced Childhood will be next), so come participate NOW! Not tomorrow, not after breakfast, NOW! :) Or else I will throw a handful of marbles at you.