Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232697 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marillion
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2010, 06:49:10 AM »
Alright, Happiness Is The Road concludes my Marillion journey. I now have all their albums, except for Somewhere Else, and I don't know whether I should bother with it.

It's a solid album. Essence takes forever until it gets good (It's decent, but the good stuff doesn't start before Woke Up). The title track is amazing, though.

The Hard Shoulder is so much better, and Real Tears For Sale is definitely up there with Marillion's best album closers.

Yeah, I always thought THS was a lot better too.  From what everyone says, don't bother with Somewhere Else, but I haven't heard it, so...

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2010, 04:53:07 AM »
I listened to "Hooks In You", and I was impressed.
Gotta love that guitar lick.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2010, 01:00:06 PM »
MARILLION WEEKEND - 2011 will be in Montreal and Holland again! :eek

I was hoping for Vegas, since it's closer to me here in California. But I hate Vegas to death and I love Montreal. So it's cool with me to go back a visit old friends... :hat

"It was enough to hold and be held." ~ Jake : The Dark Tower
4,000 soldiers died so we can keep our fellow Americans from being free.  :)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2010, 01:16:23 PM »
Hmmm... I'm considering it. I do hope that they roll around for Germany, or better, Austria for the next tour, though.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
I got my Rothery fix last night in New York as he and some other musicians jammed on some cool covers and a killer version of Sugar Mice. Very special evening which I won't soon forget. I'd thought about going earlier to his guitar clinic too, but that didn't work out as planned.

I think Nick was there too, but I think he left before I had the chance to corner him.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2010, 01:00:38 PM »
I got my Rothery fix last night in New York as he and some other musicians jammed on some cool covers and a killer version of Sugar Mice. Very special evening which I won't soon forget. I'd thought about going earlier to his guitar clinic too, but that didn't work out as planned.

I think Nick was there too, but I think he left before I had the chance to corner him.
Very jealous.  Sugar Mice is my favorite song, bar none.  Here's to you sir...(gives middle finger salute)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2010, 12:12:50 AM »
Montreal again?  :tdwn

then again..even if it were in Vegas, i'd have to start saving right now no matter. And that money really should be saved for a more practical use, like a down-payment on a car.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2010, 07:04:04 PM »

Very jealous.  Sugar Mice is my favorite song, bar none.  Here's to you sir...(gives middle finger salute)

Get your hands on the 1/26/88 version from Milan, Italy (From the Curtain Call Box)

Might be the best version I've ever heard, but it's been a while since I've listened a bunch of cassettes I haven't upgraded yet.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »
I had Holidays In Eden on yesterday and forgot that I like it almost as much as Seasons End.

I almost always choose Seasons End when it comes down to those two and I'm going to have to remember close the gap a little more when the time comes around again.

Sure, there's that riff in Dry Land that sound like it bad Journey, but I don't think there's a bad song on that album (even the bonus cuts).

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2010, 04:21:41 AM »
Would you guys be interested in a Marillion Survivor this year?
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has copies of Smoke & Mirrors, and/or Friends & Family that they'd like to sell? As well as Marbles By The Sea, and any of the Making Of albums they released (Another DAT at the Office, Caught in the Net, Fallout, The Making of Brave, ReFracted!, and Unzipped). Many of these releases are out of print on the RacketRecords website and I'd like to get the physical copies of them if possible...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2010, 08:28:17 PM »
Wait, where/what was this thing with Rothery? I had no clue about it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2010, 09:17:51 AM »
I just got Tumbling Down the Years double CD a few days ago and it's a pretty damn good compilation live cd. It's the live marillion weekend cd from last year.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2010, 08:37:04 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has copies of Smoke & Mirrors, and/or Friends & Family that they'd like to sell? As well as Marbles By The Sea, and any of the Making Of albums they released (Another DAT at the Office, Caught in the Net, Fallout, The Making of Brave, ReFracted!, and Unzipped). Many of these releases are out of print on the RacketRecords website and I'd like to get the physical copies of them if possible...

-Marc.

For what it's worth, I've got Tales From The Engine Room that I'm selling/trading in this thread:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=848.msg407441#msg407441

Nick:

Wait, where/what was this thing with Rothery? I had no clue about it.

It was on the lower west side in New York.  Steve Rothery flew over to pick up a new guitar and while he was there decided to have a low-key guitar clinic at a music store whose name escapes me. Later that evening he performed at a jam session with some local musicans for about an hour or so. It was VERY cool.

It was also a Jive Nation free event.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2010, 05:15:22 PM »
Does anyone here have the "Happiness Is The Road" campaign edition boxset? I was wondering if it would be worth the asking price on Marillion's website, which is about $48 USD after shipping... I googled for reviews with images but couldn't find any and would LOVE to see the boxset, up close and personal before I decide to buy it.

Can anyone help me out please?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2010, 07:01:06 PM »
If by "campaign edition box set" you meant the two discs and the book of artwork and all that, then sure, I guess?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2010, 07:53:43 PM »
If by "campaign edition box set" you meant the two discs and the book of artwork and all that, then sure, I guess?

Exactly that! I just wanna know if you think it's worth getting for what it is - with all the special packaging and artwork.

-Marc.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2010, 10:08:53 AM »
I remember paying like 70 to preorder it (I missed the deadline to get my name in the book :(), So I'd say 40 is more worth it.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2010, 12:23:32 PM »
i have my name on both albums they did it for. true story.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2010, 04:17:24 PM »
I remember paying like 70 to preorder it (I missed the deadline to get my name in the book :(), So I'd say 40 is more worth it.

Sweet. Well I'll have to wait til next week (or the week after) for my paycheck to come in, then to clear funds into my PayPal account to order it! HITR is the only Marillion studio album I don't own now! And I even just won (on eBay) the campaign edition of Anoraknophobia (for a hefty price, but totally worth it).

As a side note, I have REALLY been into Marillion lately, and it's clicked with me finally - all the latter-day H-era stuff - and I'm digging albums like Anoraknophobia, marillion.com and This Strange Engine. Even Radiation has some good tracks on it... and I've actually grown to enjoy most of Somewhere Else!

I've also come to view the band's discography in chunks/eras (kind of like Rush, and coincidentally, they're bookended with official live albums) - Fish-Era with The Thieving Magpie, H-Era I (the four H albums released with EMI) with Made Again Live, H-Era II (the 3 following albums released on Castle Records and Anoraknophobia) with Anorak In The UK, and H-Era III (Marbles through Less Is More)... which I hope means an official live album comes out this or next year.

It's just so chill and relaxing and most of the music is just amazing to me now that it's all clicked. A couple years ago, I bought Somewhere Else not long after it's release, at a local FYE, and was hoping I'd hear something like TA or Kino, but was wrong, and the album faded away and gathered dust. Then a year or so later, I bought Script For A Jester's Tear and was surprised at the Genesis-esque sound the band had developed in it's early days. I wasn't in the classic-prog mood at the time so that album fell to the wayside.

Then I heard Marbles and at that time, I was struck by the albums many moods and sounds, and it stuck to me immediately. Since then, I've sought out everything by Marillion (studio, live, even their Racket Records stuff), but mostly recently I've gone into overdrive getting their albums and have spent (quite a bit actually) to get what I want! The band's whole career makes sense to me now, and it's easy for me to move back and forth between eras and understand where the band was and would be going to.

That being the case, I am really excited to hear what the band does next time they hit the studio to record a new album!

-Marc.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2010, 04:17:06 AM »
I've got the HITR campaign boxset, and if you've already got the music then it probably isn't worth it just for some nice cardboard packaging and lots of shiny artwork. But if you want it for collection purposes, then it is what it is, but I doubt you'd be asking the question.

Somewhere Else is a great album, but Michael Hunter's mix makes it sound like a sonic turkey. Honestly, Marbles sounded great, and SE was such a disapointment. I just don't know why they continue to work with Hunter - everything he touches sounds like it's got thin layer of sh1t smeared over it. HITR is acoustically very dull, and some of the Racket releases are awful.  He must be using an iPod as a studio reference system.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2010, 07:53:55 AM »
Thanks again for your order from Racket Records - the following products from your Racket Records order number ------ have shipped on 21st May 2010:

----------------------------------------------------------
1 x 'Out Of Season' DVD Box Set (NTSC) (£25.53)

:caffeine:

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2010, 06:11:12 AM »
Don't know if this was posted yet, but Fish is going to be finally releasing a live DVD of his performance at NEARfest 2008 in December.

https://www.the-company.com/disco/dvdnearfest.htm

:D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2010, 09:09:24 AM »
You n00b, that's been out SINCE December.

I has it, and it is very nice. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2010, 09:13:52 AM »
Thanks again for your order from Racket Records - the following products from your Racket Records order number ------ have shipped on 21st May 2010:

1 x 'Out Of Season' DVD Box Set (NTSC) (£25.53)

:caffeine:

I'm thinking next time I order from Racket, I'm going to get this, along with Tumbling Down The Years. I already got Size Matters last time I ordered a couple weeks ago (along with several other CDs/DVDs). I really need to find time to watch it though as I ordered This Strange Convention (also a couple weeks ago), and still have NOT watched it yet! Stupid work...

Anyway, what are your thoughts on Out Of Season, Zep?

-Marc.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2010, 09:26:59 AM »
So far I've watching the first two discs (Friday & Saturday) and they're pretty amazing.  Such killer performances, and a ridiculously amazing set-list.  The performance of "Easter" is pretty wild... H barely sings a note!  Totally brought me right back to what it was like to be there (well... to be at the Montreal convention).  Dying to watch disc 3.  Probably will do that today.  When I was the show in Montreal, the 3rd night was the best of the 3, so I'm fully expecting disc 3 to be even better than discs 1 and 2.

Also, you definitely need to make time to watch This Strange Convention.  Disc 1 of that is fantastic.  Disc 2 is hit or miss, but there's some pretty great stuff on there (the covers of "Toxic" and "Hocus Pocus" are both phenomenal).  And Disc 3 is especially cool for some of the Fish-era stuff. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2010, 05:09:41 PM »
You n00b, that's been out SINCE December.

I has it, and it is very nice. :D

I still need to get this.

Rush always blows crater-sized holes through my music budget. I still haven't gotten that EP by Fish's (former?) rhythm section either.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2010, 10:02:49 PM »
So I just watched through the first disc of Wish You Were Here, the very hard to find, out of print, 4-disc video collection from Racket Records. Thanks to ebay, I was able to find a copy of this set, used but in great condition! The box shows some wear and tear, but the discs are practically immaculate! Popular Music is definitely one of their best sets, and it really shows the band playing really really well.

I'm slowly catching up on watching my Marillion DVDs. I have the following so far...
Recital Of The Script
Live From Loreley
From Stoke Row To Ipanema
A Piss-Up In A Brewery (thanks to the recent reprinting!)
Wish You Were Here
Bootleg Butlins
Something Else (companion DVD to Somewhere Else)
This Strange Convention
Somewhere In London

And so far, I've only gotten all the way through Somewhere In London!!! It's been a busy summer, or I just haven't been in the mood to watch DVDs, but I think I am going to slowly catch up on these DVDs. I've spent a good amount of time and money getting some of them, so I should be making time to watch them, after all! I really want to get Out Of Season, though... the sets on those are just amazing! I already own Size Matters on CD, and it's a great set and they played it so well!

What I *really* want to get are Brave Live 2002 and Before First Light, with full album-performances of Brave and Afraid Of Sunlight respectively. Those are two great albums and I'd love to see those DVD documentations of the Marillion Weekend performances of those albums! Unfortunately, those are really hard to find and are often really expensive on the secondary market :(

-Marc.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2010, 02:36:11 PM »
La Gazza Ladra (The Thieving Magpie) live double album is the greatest!  All of Childhood live!  All that's really missing is "Freaks" and "Lady Nina".

Needless to say, I've never really gotten into the H-era stuff.  But I am a HUGE fan of the Fish days.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2010, 02:46:37 PM »
La Gazza Ladra (The Thieving Magpie) live double album is the greatest!  All of Childhood live!  All that's really missing is "Freaks" and "Lady Nina".

Needless to say, I've never really gotten into the H-era stuff.  But I am a HUGE fan of the Fish days.
Agreed. One of my favorite live albums, right behind Kinks One for The Road and Yessongs.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2010, 03:29:07 AM »
I always preferred the Reel To Real live album although it was shorter!
I'm definately a Fish-era fan. I found the H era a bit too U2 and Simple Minds-y for me initially and lost track of them after Brave.
Listened to Brave yesterday and enjoyed it more than I remember but it's a bit depressing, rather like Porcupine Tree. I would have to be in the mood to listen to it, and I'm not often in that sort of mood.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »

"Freaks" IS on Magpie. One of my favorite versions.

I still like the 1/26/88 concert from Milan, Italy (From the Curtain Call Box) In addditon to the essential Clutching songs, you also get stellar versions of side two of Misplaced Childhood along with "Kayleigh," "Lavender,' and "Heart Of Lothian" from side 1.

It's probably my most listened to Marillion show.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2010, 11:26:38 AM »
Loving This Strange Engine (track)...Never really had as much of a connection with the Hogarth era as I do Fish but I think somethings about to change....just WOW!  :o ;D

And bleeds and bleeds
And dies for you
And lies
And is to blame
And is ashamed
And is not the same
And is true

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2010, 08:58:50 AM »
Montreal again?  :tdwn

I think it's to do with costs, taxes and entry visas. It's easier for US fans to get to Canada than it is for the band to get into the USA. Try telling your government to stop treating everyone from outside the US like they've got bubonic plague, leprosy, contagious homosexuality and terrorism.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2010, 09:33:34 AM »
I've tried, but then they put me in a padded room.