Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232802 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: Marillion
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2009, 12:15:58 PM »
I bought a used copy of Misplaced Childhood yesterday. Looking forward to popping my Marillion cherry.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2009, 12:37:17 PM »
I bought a used copy of Misplaced Childhood yesterday. Looking forward to popping my Marillion cherry.

This is your first Marillion listen ever?

:omg:

Prepare to be amazed.  After this go find yourself the 2-disc version of Marbles or Clutching at Straws.

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2009, 12:42:57 PM »

You've been on these boards this long and you haven't hear MC yet? :o

I wish I could go back in time to when I first heard that album. I can actually remember ever detail of that day.... :hat

"It was enough to hold and be held." ~ Jake : The Dark Tower
4,000 soldiers died so we can keep our fellow Americans from being free.  :)

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2009, 12:49:51 PM »
to be fair, MC is just cheesy prog and not many people like that stuff, including myself.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2009, 02:39:05 PM »
to be fair, MC is just cheesy prog and not many people like that stuff, including myself.

*coughs*

"A morning mare rides, in the starless shutters of my eyes "

"And a ring of violet bruises
They were pinned upon her arm.
Two hundred francs for sanctuary and she led me by the hand
To a room of dancing shadows where all the heartache disappears
And from glowing tongues of candles I heard her whisper in my ear
"'J'entend ton coeur"
I can hear your heart "

"Spray their pheromones on this perfume uniform "

"I saw a war widow in a launderette
Washing the memories from her husband's clothes
She had medals pinned to a threadbare greatcoat
A lump in her throat with cemetery eyes"

"I see black flags on factories
Soup ladies poised on the lips of the poor
I see children with vacant stares, destined for rape in the alleyways
Does anybody care, I can't take any more! "

I wouldn't call the entire album just "cheesy prog", but a lot of it is cheesy, because it's about love and childhood. Cheesy isn't always a bad thing if done well, and with honesty from your heart. :hat

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2009, 06:55:11 PM »
God ProgMonster, posting those Fish lyrics make me remember what an awesome lyricist he is.  I played "Kayleigh/Lavender" for my parents once and the first thing they commented on was that they liked the "dancing in stilettos in the snow" line.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2009, 07:25:18 PM »
Agreed.  Nobody has that poetic touch in their lyrics like Fish.

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2009, 11:34:49 PM »
 :hat

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2009, 07:18:42 AM »
god dammit i can't stop listening to l=m, i wish we could see them in usa, i guess that's what it must be like to be deprived of good music in third world countries like australia.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2009, 07:41:40 AM »
god dammit i can't stop listening to l=m, i wish we could see them in usa, i guess that's what it must be like to be deprived of good music in third world countries like australia.

Where?  I don't see an "Australia" on my map.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2009, 08:05:36 AM »
God ProgMonster, posting those Fish lyrics make me remember what an awesome lyricist he is.  I played "Kayleigh/Lavender" for my parents once and the first thing they commented on was that they liked the "dancing in stilettos in the snow" line.

In my opinion, Fish didn't turn into a very good lyricist until MC. Before, he just tried to stuff in as many complex/unusual words and metaphors as he possibly could, but MC really has great lyrics. However, I think that he reached his peak on CAS. Same goes for his singing style. It's at times unbearable at times on SFAJT (He Knows You Know verses, for example), a bit better, but still all over the place on Fugazi, but on MC and CAS, it really seems like he started to settle down (and also wanting to do that), thus complimenting the music much better.

PS: Anoraknophobia, Marbles (2CD) and Happiness Is The Road should hopefully all arrive here by the end of the year.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2009, 08:19:42 AM »
I am a huge Marillion and solo Fish fan. I feel the first few albums are very good but the bands maturity shows brilliantly in H albums such as Brave, Anoraknophobia, and Marbles. I prefer the listen to the most recent albums. They have more depth imo.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2009, 12:01:30 PM »

Where?  I don't see an "Australia" on my map.

you're supposed to acquire a middle earth map, that's your first mistake.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2009, 12:02:44 PM »
Fish was always a brilliant lyricist, but peaked during CAS.  That album shakes the core of my being.

(tick, if you enjoy Fish solo, try to find the Fortunes of War bit, it's all acoustic takes on Fish and Marillion songs)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2009, 08:41:55 PM »

You've been on these boards this long and you haven't hear MC yet? :o

I wish I could go back in time to when I first heard that album. I can actually remember ever detail of that day.... :hat

You wouldn't be the only one. That entire album is a time capsule for me.  

Misplaced Childhood is my favorite album by any band - ever. I was fortunate enough to hear it played twice live when Marillion opened for Rush March 31 and April 1 1986.

Childhood's End/White Feather were the last two songs played at my wedding.

I'm sorry I passed on the opportunity to own Fish's jacket from the Lavender video about 10 years or so ago when Fish had his estate sale. I just couldn't pull the trigger then. I wanted to get married in a jacket like that , but couldn't find something suitable.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Marillion-Misplaced-Childhood-Fishs-Red-Drummer-Jacket_W0QQitemZ190357864628QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c523680b4

I hope it went to a good home.

Progmonster:

As for getting him on TV, that was JustJen's idea. She knew that I was working at NBC at the time, and suggested that I get him on the show. So I asked my producer, and she was happy to have a guest on the show who wasn't a local cook for the millionth time! Also, the director was a big music fan, and had heard of Marillion from back in the day. (He was always wearing his King Crimson "beat" shirt) It was definitely a miracle....

Great story. I doubt anything like that will happen in the US ever again.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:05:25 PM by ytserush »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2009, 08:56:16 PM »
God ProgMonster, posting those Fish lyrics make me remember what an awesome lyricist he is.  I played "Kayleigh/Lavender" for my parents once and the first thing they commented on was that they liked the "dancing in stilettos in the snow" line.

In my opinion, Fish didn't turn into a very good lyricist until MC. Before, he just tried to stuff in as many complex/unusual words and metaphors as he possibly could, but MC really has great lyrics. However, I think that he reached his peak on CAS. Same goes for his singing style. It's at times unbearable at times on SFAJT (He Knows You Know verses, for example), a bit better, but still all over the place on Fugazi, but on MC and CAS, it really seems like he started to settle down (and also wanting to do that), thus complimenting the music much better.

Even Fish admits that he was singing beyond his means on those early albums.  That and the lifestyle he led pretty much explains why he sounds like he sounds today.
It's not pretty, but he does a great job at making it work.

I'd rather hear him do solo stuff these days rather than anything with Marillion (unless he keeps quiet and lets us sing it instead)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »
Fish was always a brilliant lyricist, but peaked during CAS.  That album shakes the core of my being.

(tick, if you enjoy Fish solo, try to find the Fortunes of War bit, it's all acoustic takes on Fish and Marillion songs)
I'll try and check it out. The more recent Fish album "13th Star" was a brilliant album imo.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2009, 11:30:44 AM »
Anybody else seen this yet?  Cover of Britney Spears' "Toxic" from the 2007 Marillion Convention.  Pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7BjF2rceTw

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2009, 02:51:36 PM »
Anybody else seen this yet?  Cover of Britney Spears' "Toxic" from the 2007 Marillion Convention.  Pretty awesome.

I've heard it. I've got no desire to see it.

I've been dying to get into some kind of Marillion (probably live) marathon for a few weeks now, but I haven't gotten there yet.

It's been about six weeks since I've listened to Misplaced Childhood and I'm still breathing......

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2009, 03:12:18 PM »
I've been dying to get into some kind of Marillion (probably live) marathon for a few weeks now, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Just pop in the Wish You Were Here set, then interlude that with Naked in the Chapel, and finish with Somewhere in London! Or, if you really want a marathon, then start with a few Fish-era DVD's. Unless you're after a listening session rather than visual....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2009, 04:09:18 PM »

Just pop in the Wish You Were Here set, then interlude that with Naked in the Chapel, and finish with Somewhere in London! Or, if you really want a marathon, then start with a few Fish-era DVD's. Unless you're after a listening session rather than visual....

Four out of five music marathons are usually are all auditory rather than visual in my case. I'll probably decide how to handle it whenever I get to do it.

Since you're here, what's the most stunning (performance wise) Clutching At Straws show that's out there? Milan '88 (Curtain Call box) is my favorite followed closely by Billy's Olde Mill, but I was hoping there might be something better as I've not investigated this in eons. While we're at it, what about your Misplaced Childhood show?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 04:25:05 PM by ytserush »

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2010, 07:31:46 AM »

now the damn thing is stuck in my head for the past week. it's actually really nice, much more sinister and well done than the original.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2010, 07:44:08 AM »

now the damn thing is stuck in my head for the past week. it's actually really nice, much more sinister and well done than the original.
That was bizzaro ! I loved one of the you tube comments that said Brittany should now cover "Cannibal surf Babes" :biggrin:

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2010, 08:23:03 AM »
I strongly recommend picking up the DVDs.  The whole show is fantastic.  They also do an AMAZING cover of "Hocus Pocus" by Focus.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2010, 10:01:59 AM »
I strongly recommend picking up the DVDs.  The whole show is fantastic.  They also do an AMAZING cover of "Hocus Pocus" by Focus.
That I must see ! That song was the first record (45rpm) I ever bought as a kid.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2010, 02:49:14 PM »

Damn, now I really want to hear that, especially h's delivery.

Mentlegen.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2010, 02:06:26 PM »
Wow. Between You And Me, Quartz and This Is The 21st Century are amazing. Hell, Anoraknophobia per se is great.

Tomorrow, I'm going to listen to Marbles. Regarding the fact that I already know Neverland, I'll be in for a nice ending. :)

Mentlegen.

leadvapor

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2010, 03:56:01 PM »
Marillion at their best (Fish-era) is a strong contender for Best Band Ever.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2010, 05:15:18 PM »
Wow. Between You And Me, Quartz and This Is The 21st Century are amazing.

This is definitely in my top 5 Marillion songs, h-era or both combined.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2010, 06:20:48 AM »
Marillion at their best (Fish-era) is a strong contender for cheesiest Band Ever.

I agree, but Marillion with H is the best pop-rock band ever.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »
Marbles = win.

The Invisible Man is one of the best progressive-style songs by Marillion imo, Neverland is pure awesome, and the whole album is really enjoyable.

Mentlegen.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »
Don't forget about Ocean Cloud!

But yeah, Neverland is my favorite Marillion song, and probably one of my top 10 favorite songs ever.  Fish-era can't touch that piece of genius.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2010, 03:30:46 PM »
Don't forget about Ocean Cloud!

I'm listening to it right now. It's like This Strange Engine, Out Of This World and parts of Goodbye To All That thrown together with the atmosphere of the album. Great song, and I feel that it's definitely a grower.

Mentlegen.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2010, 07:43:28 PM »
Marillion at their best (Fish-era) is a strong contender for Best Band Ever.

Difficult for me to argue against that although there have been plenty of amazing moments since then.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2010, 01:02:32 AM »
Alright, Happiness Is The Road concludes my Marillion journey. I now have all their albums, except for Somewhere Else, and I don't know whether I should bother with it.

It's a solid album. Essence takes forever until it gets good (It's decent, but the good stuff doesn't start before Woke Up). The title track is amazing, though.

The Hard Shoulder is so much better, and Real Tears For Sale is definitely up there with Marillion's best album closers.

Mentlegen.