Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232791 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: Marillion
« Reply #1750 on: September 19, 2022, 11:47:54 AM »
On all things HiE related:

I think the electronic drums were only used on the singles, as I've noticed a difference between the three singles (Cover My Eyes, No One Can, Dry Land) and the rest of the album in terms of the drum sound.  Everything else was Ian's acoustic kit.

Speaking of the desire for hit singles, I know H likes to play it off like it's not a big deal, but I really do think he wanted a greater degree of fame than he got. Maybe it's me, but I've always sensed a hint of envy in songs like Deserve, 3-Minute Boy, etc, or even in interviews where he mentions people like Sting.  He tries to play it off, but there's always a little bit of jealousy in his musings on fame.

I was so used to the American track listing that hearing the remaster with the original order threw me off for a long time.  I ended up making a playlist from the late 90's remaster series that had the US running order.  I like the flow with Cover My Eyes and No One Can kicking off the album and then the drastic feel change with Splintering Heart.  Feels kinda similar to the feel change from Jigsaw into Emerald Lies on Fugazi.

Stads mentioned Tony Banks, and I think Steve Rothery is very much the Tony Banks of Marillion, as in, the band doesn't do what Steve doesn't want to do. 

As far as Mark being the main prog guy in the band, I think that was most evident in the live versions of the This Town trilogy.  They usually stretched out The Rakes Progress live (they did when I saw them on the TourFund tour), and that's when Mark got to get in some of the more "widdly bits" as he calls them.  Otherwise, he's pretty low key on HiE. Hogarth, I think he's into the proggy, experimental stuff as well, but I think he comes from a different approach than Mark.  I think that's why he and Richard Barbieri work well together outside of the band. 

Beyond that, I love the parallels between the 4 Fish albums and the first 4 Hogarth albums.

Script and Seasons: First album for each singer.  Lots of material written prior to member(s) joining.  A few 8 minute epics.
Fugazi and Holidays: Difficult second album, kinda short on material for both, pressure to live up to the prior album.
Misplaced and Brave: Concept albums with children as part of the theme.  Band is unified in terms of the direction. 
Clutching and AOS: Thematically linked albums concerned mainly with the darker side of fame.  Big changes lurking around the corner for the band.   

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1751 on: September 19, 2022, 12:25:27 PM »
I definitely think H wanted to be a rock star/pop star, and that you can hear that play out in his music. He talks about it somewhat frequently on his podcast. At this stage in life, I think he appreciates that not becoming big and famous actually contributed to his and the band’s longevity, and their ability to make music on their own terms without having to consider popular appeal and record company demands, etc. But there is still a hint of Uncle Rico when he talks about it. I think generally Afraid of Sunlight was sort of his coping mechanism, and you still hear him talk about avoiding the perils of fame today. It’s an “I may not be famous, but I’m not in jail, playing in a sandbox, or dead!” sort of thing. I also think he got a lot of personal satisfaction out of the band playing the Royal Albert Hall, which might have been the closest thing to “arriving” in his career.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1752 on: September 19, 2022, 01:22:37 PM »
@HOF.  Great observations!  Also, because of that longevity, one could argue that their current profile is as high as it's been since the Fish years.  Seeing a band like them still producing valid work is its own selling point.  Regardless of what I think of their last few albums, I also feel the fact that they haven't succumbed to being a nostalgia act is one of the driving forces behind their higher profile now.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1753 on: September 19, 2022, 01:43:40 PM »
Speaking of the desire for hit singles, I know H likes to play it off like it's not a big deal, but I really do think he wanted a greater degree of fame than he got. Maybe it's me, but I've always sensed a hint of envy in songs like Deserve, 3-Minute Boy, etc, or even in interviews where he mentions people like Sting.  He tries to play it off, but there's always a little bit of jealousy in his musings on fame.

I TOTALLY agree with this.   

Script and Seasons: First album for each singer.  Lots of material written prior to member(s) joining.  A few 8 minute epics.
Fugazi and Holidays: Difficult second album, kinda short on material for both, pressure to live up to the prior album.
Misplaced and Brave: Concept albums with children as part of the theme.  Band is unified in terms of the direction. 
Clutching and AOS: Thematically linked albums concerned mainly with the darker side of fame.  Big changes lurking around the corner for the band.

And this too!!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1754 on: September 25, 2022, 05:47:51 PM »
Got the HiE package this weekend, and I watched the documentary this morning, and then played the album and the live set this afternoon. The documentary was pretty cool.  Nothing too surprising, but it was cool to hear that Ian had the most sympathy for H during the early writing stages because he had worked in a similar fashion prior to joining Marillion during the Fugazi sessions.  It was also interesting to hear Rothery’s comments on things, as it seems he’s not really happy with how the album turned out aside from his solos.  The remix of the album is refreshing though, as I feel it adds the edge to the material developed in a live setting, as well as some added punch in the drums.  And the live set included is really solid as well.  My only complaint being that H’s voice and style doesn’t really play well with the melodies Fish sang on Blind Curve and Lords of the Backstage.  Otherwise, it’s great to hear H in his prime vocally.  He was my favorite singer for so many years, and is still, in my opinion, one of the greatest frontmen of all time.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1755 on: October 01, 2022, 08:37:38 PM »
Ghosts of Pripyat is pretty good. Not sure it’s anything that would blow you away but it has a certain moodiness and atmosphere to it. I personally like the two The Wishing Tree albums a lot, but your interest level would probably depend on what you think about Hannah Stobart’s voice.

Mark Kelly’s Marathon was interesting to me, but I can’t say it’s my favorite thing ever. There is one really good track (Puppets) that features some nice Steve Rothery solos though, which is pretty much worth the price of admission

I like Ghost of Pripyat (and less so the Wishing Tree albums)but I really love Rothery's Live releases from that album....Live in Rome and Live in London. Also love the Edison's Children releases and Postmankind. I can't wait for the next one and would really love his band to play some gigs in the US.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1756 on: October 01, 2022, 08:48:41 PM »
On all things HiE related:

That was the one thing that never sat well with me with Hogarth live, at least the early years live. He didn't seem to me to be on the same wavelength as the rest of the band. As time went on I think he seemed to make peace with it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1757 on: October 01, 2022, 08:58:38 PM »
As far as the reissue itself goes, I changed things up a bit with this one. Instead of diving straight into the live material like I usually do I listened to the remix a bunch of times first and I while there's a few things that we changed that I didn't like, I think the remix is mostly and improvement of the original. It sounds less dated and more organic. The doc was OK but I kind of get annoyed that they take a lot of the liner notes straight from the doc which to me comes off as a bit lazy. it's going to be great to dig into the live material which I know is going to be great.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1758 on: October 01, 2022, 09:07:56 PM »
For someone that grew up in the Fish era - I bought Misplaced Childhood upon release, more or less - and was thrilled with both Season's End and Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors, I can't tell you how disappointing the one-two punch of Internal Exile and Holidays In Eden were.  What happened to my heroes, that so effortlessly put out powerful, deep material like Slainte Mhath, and King Of Sunset Town and View From The Hill?   Internal Exile showed just how badly Fish needed the "base" of Marillion, and Holidays showed just how badly Marillion wanted to have hit singles (maybe, just maybe, Fish was right in that whole blowup that led to his leaving!)

I experienced this exact same thing, but for me it happened an album later with Brave and Songs From The Mirror. Those albums are what stopped me from being the collector I had been. The subsequent albums (Afraid Of Sunlight and Suits) were marginal improvements Fortunately both Fish and the band seemed to get back on the rails with Sunsets On Empire and This Strange Engine which I think are both top albums.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1759 on: October 19, 2022, 02:27:47 PM »
just got the Deluxe Holidays in Eden in the mail today. Can’t wait to dig into it later. The live
stuff has been my favourite bits of these reissues as well. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1760 on: November 12, 2022, 05:15:50 PM »
just got the Deluxe Holidays in Eden in the mail today. Can’t wait to dig into it later. The live
stuff has been my favourite bits of these reissues as well.

The live material is great. Steven W. Taylor did a great job with the studio album too. In most cases, I didn't like much of the remixes, but in this case I do.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1761 on: December 16, 2022, 10:01:42 PM »
Some folks may be interested in H's annual live-streamed H Natural Christmas concert. Tomorrow afternoon in the states, but you can stream it for up to a week afterwards. Costs about $20 USD. Kind of a cool setting and he always pulls out some interesting songs (some Marillion, some songs from his solo album or previous bands, some covers, some Christmas songs, etc.)

https://marillionvod.uscreen.io/programs/hnatural2022?fbclid=IwAR2HSVBK3EtCTiAKvdttjPOETGXAkkwAJjXgbNo_7y52GmkqInyFZPmwV70

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1762 on: December 17, 2022, 04:30:45 PM »
Some folks may be interested in H's annual live-streamed H Natural Christmas concert. Tomorrow afternoon in the states, but you can stream it for up to a week afterwards. Costs about $20 USD. Kind of a cool setting and he always pulls out some interesting songs (some Marillion, some songs from his solo album or previous bands, some covers, some Christmas songs, etc.)

https://marillionvod.uscreen.io/programs/hnatural2022?fbclid=IwAR2HSVBK3EtCTiAKvdttjPOETGXAkkwAJjXgbNo_7y52GmkqInyFZPmwV70

Go the email.  I'd consider it if it were free.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1763 on: December 17, 2022, 06:13:20 PM »

I get enough free entertainment out of H’s podcast that I don’t mind dropping a $20 for this. It was a really nice concert, with a special appearance by Mark Kelly and some fun covers (Rocket Man, Karma Police, Cloudbusting, and a rousing sing along rendition of All You Need Is Love). I believe you can watch it for up to another week, but not sure if you had to buy the ticket before the show or not.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1764 on: January 06, 2023, 09:57:15 PM »

I get enough free entertainment out of H’s podcast that I don’t mind dropping a $20 for this. It was a really nice concert, with a special appearance by Mark Kelly and some fun covers (Rocket Man, Karma Police, Cloudbusting, and a rousing sing along rendition of All You Need Is Love). I believe you can watch it for up to another week, but not sure if you had to buy the ticket before the show or not.

I did drop about $20 on the Marillion live stream in 2021 and enjoyed that. Did the Fish one too that year and I just got a notification that the CD/DVD package of that show just shipped.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1765 on: January 15, 2023, 07:47:43 PM »
Not really Marillion news, but Fish announced he isn't coming to North America in '24 for his farewell tour. Not surprised, but still kinda bummed about it. Have to figure the show will be recorded at least.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1766 on: January 15, 2023, 09:04:00 PM »
yeah not surprised.

I have never seen him live and likely never will. But I've come to grips with that. My likely only good chance would have been that tour he did in 2008? I believe when he played in Milwaukee, but I couldn't afford 2 trips in such a short window of time as I recall the Liquid Tension Experiment show in Chicago was like 8 days before it, and I had bought a ticket for that show before Fish even announced his tour.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1767 on: March 21, 2023, 07:17:35 AM »
Seasons End deluxe re-issue preorder is now live:

https://marillion.com/shop/albums/remast63.htm

Disc One features a brand new stereo remix of the album by Michael Hunter.

Discs Two and Three feature the full Sunday night concert from the Marillion Weekend 2022 in Leicester which included the album performed in it's entirety.

The blu-ray contains 48/24 stereo and LPCM 5.1 mixes and a DTS-HD Master 5.1 audio of the album. B-Sides and Bonus tracks are also included. Also included is a "Bootleg Mix" of the 1990 concerts in Montreal.

Video content consists of "Seasons Change" - an 85 minute documentary covering the making of the album.

Also included is the full "From Stoke Row To Ipanema" documentary, the full Rock Steady live performance and the promotional videos for Hooks In You, Easter, and The Uninvited Guest.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1768 on: March 21, 2023, 08:06:01 AM »
The deluxe additions that have come out so far always contained a full concert from the era in question. So this one containing the album performed in full from a much later show is a bit unusual. Maybe they didn’t have anything from H’s first tour that they thought was viable?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1769 on: March 21, 2023, 08:14:15 AM »
The deluxe additions that have come out so far always contained a full concert from the era in question. So this one containing the album performed in full from a much later show is a bit unusual. Maybe they didn’t have anything from H’s first tour that they thought was viable?

There's a fair amount out there from the Front Row series, though.  I'm wondering if the full package of "Stoke Row" is there, because there's a full concert on the bonus disk of that DVD set. 

This is the one I was looking forward to the most, honestly.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1770 on: March 21, 2023, 10:03:57 AM »

There's a fair amount out there from the Front Row series, though.  I'm wondering if the full package of "Stoke Row" is there, because there's a full concert on the bonus disk of that DVD set. 

Yeah, the full Stoke Row DVD was almost 2 and a half hours long. Can you fit that much on a Blue Ray (along with another 83 minute documentary, the Rock Steady concert, and the all the demos, music videos, etc.)?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1771 on: March 21, 2023, 10:07:01 AM »

Yeah, the full Stoke Row DVD was almost 2 and a half hours long. Can you fit that much on a Blue Ray (along with another 83 minute documentary, the Rock Steady concert, and the all the demos, music videos, etc.)?

According to a quick Google search - "On average, a 25GB Blu-ray disc can hold 135 minutes of HD video using MPEG-2 compression format plus 2 hours of bonus material in standard definition quality or 10 hours of standard definition video."

Assuming the new set uses standard BD discs, and that the Stoke Row show is standard definition video quality, they could easily put that all on there if it doesn't all exceed 10 hours and is all SD footage.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1772 on: March 24, 2023, 10:00:04 PM »

That is a bit of a departure, but maybe it's a great performance. (Have not heard it myself.)  There's plenty out there from the first tour. Have some of it already. I was hoping Stephen W. Taylor would have worked on this one since he did such a great job with Holidays in Eden, but I guess that's not the case.

For me I'm most looking forward to the "Bootleg Mix" of the Montreal show. I may have the video of that though, I'd have to check. Might be Quebec City. Other than than that there doesn't seem to be two many surprises.

Somewhat related, The last two Fish on Fridays have featured the original notebooks of Fish's lyrics from Script and Clutching At Straws respectively.

Also the deluxe editions of Vigil and Internal Exile are due out this year. Fish is claiming that postage rates to the US through negotiations have been reduced  by 37 to 50 percent.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1773 on: March 24, 2023, 10:11:53 PM »
Lucy did confirm on Facebook that they couldn’t find a high enough audio quality recording from the era to include in the set, so they chose to go with the recent convention performance (which it appears will not be getting a full release otherwise).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1774 on: April 07, 2023, 12:23:54 PM »
Lucy did confirm on Facebook that they couldn’t find a high enough audio quality recording from the era to include in the set, so they chose to go with the recent convention performance (which it appears will not be getting a full release otherwise).

Better than nothing I suppose. But I'd have preferred something more in context. Not a deal breaker though.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #1775 on: April 21, 2023, 10:28:57 AM »
Thinking about how much I hope Marillion returns to the US before they retire... I'd love to see them

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1776 on: April 21, 2023, 10:55:45 AM »
I think they will given how they have periodically over the last 25 years. They just need to find ways to do it without losing money.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1777 on: April 21, 2023, 11:02:18 AM »
Thinking about how much I hope Marillion returns to the US before they retire... I'd love to see them

It's been almost 26 years since I last saw them live.  I regret not going to see them on the Marbles tour, because I really should have.  I did see them 3 times in 5 days on the TSE Tour Fund tour in the US, and that was awesome.  For me, I'd want a set of primarily songs from Brave, AOS and Marbles, and a smattering of selections from other albums, but I don't think that's where they are at right now. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1778 on: April 21, 2023, 01:34:37 PM »
I think they will given how they have periodically over the last 25 years. They just need to find ways to do it without losing money.

I was always confused on how they lost money. So many other foreign bands do so and do fairly well, especially based on the fact that they keep returning, even though they're in smaller venues. Marillion played solid places, and sold well afaik. The SF show from the FEAR tour was in a 1.5k capacity place and sold out. (granted it was the first show of the album and tour)

Offline HOF

« Reply #1779 on: April 21, 2023, 03:22:33 PM »

I was always confused on how they lost money. So many other foreign bands do so and do fairly well, especially based on the fact that they keep returning, even though they're in smaller venues. Marillion played solid places, and sold well afaik. The SF show from the FEAR tour was in a 1.5k capacity place and sold out. (granted it was the first show of the album and tour)

Yeah, I think they probably were financially able to do it for the first time in a long time when FEAR came out. I'm sure lots of foreign bands who do tour the US do so at a loss playing tiny venues (unless they are a massive band). Marillion at a certain point in their career were probably not going to do a small club gig of the US, and it just took them a while to be in a place where they could afford the financial risk of a bigger US tour. Even now I'd guess a tour like that might be more break even than a money maker. And visa rules have recently gotten even more restrictive/expensive for foreign artists, so they may or may not be back again. The best bet for US fans to see Marillion is when they come to Montreal probably.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1780 on: April 21, 2023, 03:26:52 PM »

Yeah me too.  I think part of it is just they don't want to take the risk.   

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1781 on: April 21, 2023, 04:30:01 PM »

Yeah, I think they probably were financially able to do it for the first time in a long time when FEAR came out. I'm sure lots of foreign bands who do tour the US do so at a loss playing tiny venues (unless they are a massive band). Marillion at a certain point in their career were probably not going to do a small club gig of the US, and it just took them a while to be in a place where they could afford the financial risk of a bigger US tour. Even now I'd guess a tour like that might be more break even than a money maker. And visa rules have recently gotten even more restrictive/expensive for foreign artists, so they may or may not be back again. The best bet for US fans to see Marillion is when they come to Montreal probably.

I figured the Montreal weekend is my best shot...and being a west coast dude, that'll probably be a minimum 2k trip with flight and hotel. I love the band, but that's pushing the limit for me for a band I've already seen 4 times.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1782 on: April 21, 2023, 04:38:39 PM »

I figured the Montreal weekend is my best shot...and being a west coast dude, that'll probably be a minimum 2k trip with flight and hotel. I love the band, but that's pushing the limit for me for a band I've already seen 4 times.

yep, very easily $2,000 between airfare, hotel, the tickets for the weekend, merch, food and transportation.

I was considering it for awhile until they came here on the Marbles tour. I saw them on in 2012 twice and then once in 2016 again. All shows in Chicago.

I dunno, they may crowd fund it like they did with the COVID insurance last year to avoid losing money. I just think their pattern is to make it over to the North America beyond a Fan Weekend, every 5-10 years this century. i know the Visa issues for musicians coming here have become more stringey, but that is why I wonder if they'll try to crowd fund something again.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1783 on: April 26, 2023, 03:10:32 PM »
I'm really late to the Marillion party...  It wasn't until last year that I listened to "Misplaced Childhood" and wondered where it has been my whole life.  From there naturally I also got into "Clutching at Straws". 

Finally today randomly put on a post-Fish album, "Seasons End".  Holy crap.  Amazing album.  I'm pretty sure "King of Sunset Town" is my current temporary favorite song lol.  Looking forward to diving into more of the catalog.  Maybe I just needed to find an album I like to get into the singer (like it's an acquired taste or something).  Can't believe how many albums they have haha.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1784 on: April 26, 2023, 03:11:49 PM »
I'm really late to the Marillion party...  It wasn't until last year that I listened to "Misplaced Childhood" and wondered where it has been my whole life.  From there naturally I also got into "Clutching at Straws". 

Finally today randomly put on a post-Fish album, "Seasons End".  Holy crap.  Amazing album.  I'm pretty sure "King of Sunset Town" is my current temporary favorite song lol.  Looking forward to diving into more of the catalog.  Maybe I just needed to find an album I like to get into the singer (like it's an acquired taste or something).  Can't believe how many albums they have haha.

Brave next. In a dark room with headphones on. Trust me.