Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 233096 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: Marillion
« Reply #1575 on: November 19, 2021, 08:28:02 AM »
Just listened to “Be Hard on Yourself”.

I get Hogarth writes his lyrics a certain way, but the flow just doesn’t work for me on this track. They are also kind of too obvious for H as well.

The music is great though.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online HOF

« Reply #1576 on: November 19, 2021, 08:34:23 AM »
Man, I hate that the tracks are broken up on Amazon/Spotify (and I assume will be on the CD as well). The break points are not good and it really messes with the flow of the song. Trying the youtube version now instead.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1577 on: November 19, 2021, 08:40:39 AM »
Man, I hate that the tracks are broken up on Amazon/Spotify (and I assume will be on the CD as well). The break points are not good and it really messes with the flow of the song. Trying the youtube version now instead.

When the song was first available to download for those who pre-ordered, it was broken up into 3 tracks, but I later saw that they updated the download so the song was in one track and not three, so I wonder how it'll be presented on the CD album. I assume with the 7 songs will be presented as 18 tracks, which is a bit annoying, but given that's how FEAR was released, I don't expect anything different this time.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 09:54:58 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #1578 on: November 19, 2021, 08:47:52 AM »
I think there are a lot of good things going on in the track, but it will probably take a few more listens to set in. I knew all about the lyrics already, and they are a bit stiff and clunky but I think that's something that will be helped by familiarity. H sounds weathered, but it works on a track like this I think. The overall sound is nice. Similar to recent releases, but a bit warmer and almost analog-like if that makes sense.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1579 on: November 19, 2021, 11:18:08 AM »

When the song was first available to download for those who pre-ordered, it was broken up into 3 tracks, but I later saw that they updated the download so the song was in one track and not three, so I wonder how it'll be presented on the CD album. I assume with the 7 songs will be presented as 18 tracks, which is a bit annoying, but given that's how FEAR was released, I don't expect anything different this time.

-Marc.

A big reason that I don’t revisit FEAR more often is because I listen to music at work and I have gravitated more towards the shuffle feature. The tracks being split up the way they are just doesn’t work for my listening habits lately. I really hate that they split the album tracks up that way
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online HOF

« Reply #1580 on: November 19, 2021, 11:22:50 AM »

-Marc.

A big reason that I don’t revisit FEAR more often is because I listen to music at work and I have gravitated more towards the shuffle feature. The tracks being split up the way they are just doesn’t work for my listening habits lately. I really hate that they split the album tracks up that way

I was able to join the tracks when I ripped them back then because I had iTunes. My current computer does not and I really don’t want to add it just so I can do that again (not even sure if it still has that function). Anyone know of another free program that will join tracks?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1581 on: November 19, 2021, 07:27:43 PM »

-Marc.

I just took the FLAC files I ripped from the CD and merged them together in Audacity. I can't stand how they are breaking up the longer songs either. Wish they would stop doing that, they never used to...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online HOF

« Reply #1582 on: November 22, 2021, 09:36:53 PM »
Marillion are live streaming their 11/27 concert. A bit on the pricey side but some here might be interested.

https://fb.watch/9saaqrGXzm/

(Link plays the new song if you're trying to avoid hearing stuff until the album comes out)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1583 on: November 23, 2021, 02:29:38 AM »
I'm trying to get there early to get to the front - if anyone's live-streaming it, look out for the overweight bald guy - that's me! You won't miss me, I'll be in a sea of overweight bald guys...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online HOF

« Reply #1584 on: November 23, 2021, 07:12:26 AM »
I'm trying to get there early to get to the front - if anyone's live-streaming it, look out for the overweight bald guy - that's me! You won't miss me, I'll be in a sea of overweight bald guys...

Ha! A Marillion concert sounds like a good place for bald guys to blend in!

Online HOF

« Reply #1585 on: November 30, 2021, 10:33:56 PM »
Clip from the live streamed concert the other night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU8i-NU0gCk

Can still purchase and stream the full concert through December 3rd:

http://marillionvod.uscreen.io/

Online HOF

« Reply #1586 on: December 03, 2021, 08:06:35 AM »
Some people might be interested in this new track from Rick Armstrong (son of Neil Armstrong, big Marillion fan, played on the last two Edison’s Children albums) which opens with a nice atmospheric guitar solo by Steve Rothery:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BC6dHqvP7S8&fbclid=IwAR05GjgBp2bQ4Q6qSSV0lmuN36DOSbqoAZWzIsdgbCyKBL80feaGcVyrkxw

Wanders off a bit into space noodling after that, but still an interesting track.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1587 on: December 18, 2021, 08:41:21 PM »
Marillion are live streaming their 11/27 concert. A bit on the pricey side but some here might be interested.

https://fb.watch/9saaqrGXzm/

(Link plays the new song if you're trying to avoid hearing stuff until the album comes out)

Great show. Watched it about four or five times that week. 
And the Rothery live set is freaking brilliant. Can't get enough of it. Really wish he'd bring it to the US one day.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1588 on: December 18, 2021, 08:44:25 PM »
Some people might be interested in this new track from Rick Armstrong (son of Neil Armstrong, big Marillion fan, played on the last two Edison’s Children albums) which opens with a nice atmospheric guitar solo by Steve Rothery:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BC6dHqvP7S8&fbclid=IwAR05GjgBp2bQ4Q6qSSV0lmuN36DOSbqoAZWzIsdgbCyKBL80feaGcVyrkxw

Wanders off a bit into space noodling after that, but still an interesting track.

I may be getting this one. Been thinking about it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1589 on: December 18, 2021, 08:46:06 PM »

You must have had a blast. That was a great show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1590 on: December 22, 2021, 12:25:41 PM »
So.........  I've purchased all the (Fish era) recent deluxe sets, the "book" form with 3, 4 disks and a blu-ray, but I haven't had a chance to listen to all of them.  I hadn't really paid attention; I know that (generally) there is a remix to stereo prior to the 5.1 remix, and usually they get tacked on on the blu-ray, or something like that.  I had listened to the Script one, and the remix was nothing "new".  The most recent I purchased was the Fugazi one, and I just received that about a week ago, so I listened to that, and the remix was nothing new (though the ending to Fugazi seemed to be something I hadn't recognized before).    Misplaced, famously, doesn't have the new mix, because I guess Steven Wilson refused to let his out since he thought the original mix was so perfect (or something).

But I finally got around to listening to the Clutching At Straws version.  Now, this is by far my favorite Marillion album, and one of my very favorite albums of all time.  It's literally the perfect record for me. I skip NOTHING on this record, and honestly, the ONLY criticism I have is that the guy that says "My advice to you is, ..." sounds like he's reading the lines off a card where the printing is too small.  Other than that, the playing, the writing, the singing, the lyrics, the SOUND, are all incredible.   LOVE it.

So the remix was done by longtime colleague Avril MacIntosh (who worked on the original and still works with Fish) and.. someone else I can't remember.   And I hate it.  I rarely care about remixes or remasters, except when they change something.  And here, they changed something.  The music is largely the same but Fish is mixed differently, and his vocals are more... dry than the original, and that sucks.  Marillion, to me, is not the Rolling Stones.  They aren't gritty, dirty, dry sounding rock.  They are lush, they are bountiful, and they are full.  The Chris Kimsey production is PERFECT for that band, and I love that music so much.  The remix ruins that for me.  It's not like every song is totally different, but I know that record top to bottom, side to side, and the difference is enough to make me want to go to the original and listen to that.  Not the end of the world, since I have the original, but it was a bummer to hear that.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1591 on: December 22, 2021, 01:08:21 PM »
It's funny that you mentioned the Stones, because Chris Kimsey was their producer around that time.  Marillion tried getting him for Holidays in Eden, but he couldn't because he was working with the Stones at the time.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online HOF

« Reply #1592 on: December 22, 2021, 01:11:56 PM »
I like the Clutching re-mix, though I never thought there was anything wrong with the original. The biggest difference for me is the drums, which they mixed more dryly than the original. That did take some getting used to. I thought the guitar maybe had a bit more edge in the remix, which I like. The only time I thought Fish sounded different is on the outro to Incommunicado. Some fans swore that must be someone other than Fish it sounds so different.

I haven’t gone back to the original since I got the remix actually. But maybe I should just to compare. I haven’t heard either of the Script or Fugazi remixes, but those were supposed to be the most different from what I’ve read.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1593 on: December 22, 2021, 01:14:20 PM »
I noticed quite a bit that was different as well. And even though it’s my favorite Marillion album, I don’t think I have the long history with it that you do, Stadler. So I’m still up in the air about what to think of it.

I think there’s even an extra guitar solo in Going Under that wasn’t there before. And the ending of The Last Straw sounded like a different vocal take completely.

I have to go back and listen to it again to make sure that I’m remembering where the changes were.

Online HOF

« Reply #1594 on: December 22, 2021, 01:18:48 PM »
I noticed quite a bit that was different as well. And even though it’s my favorite Marillion album, I don’t think I have the long history with it that you do, Stadler. So I’m still up in the air about what to think of it.

I think there’s even an extra guitar solo in Going Under that wasn’t there before. And the ending of The Last Straw sounded like a different vocal take completely.

I have to go back and listen to it again to make sure that I’m remembering where the changes were.

Yes, there is an added guitar solo in Going Under (which I love BTW). No idea why that was dropped on the original record, but there was a version of Going Under with the guitar solo on the previous remaster bonus disc, so it was something that was around already but just wasn't on the original album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: December 23, 2021, 07:56:44 AM »

I was in the car, so I couldn't make notes, but there are a couple places where I was (am) convinced that the vocal is an entirely different take as well.   I will say this; if that's the case, then kudos to Fish, because while his voice has given him problems over the years (and I doubt he could sing the Marillion catalogue as he did in the '80s) he was remarkably consistent back in the day, even WITH all the extracurriculars.

Romdrums, you're right!  Kimsey did work with the Stones (he did that Emotional Rescue --> Undercover run, if memory serves, and I LOVE those records).   I'd really have liked him to be on Holidays; again, I'm not one to usually critique "production", but that's one of the few albums that I think really could benefit from a re-recording.  The songs sound so much better live, at least some of them do (some of the songs are unsalvagable; that record is Hogarth at his navel-gazing worst, IMO). 

Online HOF

« Reply #1596 on: December 23, 2021, 08:33:04 AM »

I was in the car, so I couldn't make notes, but there are a couple places where I was (am) convinced that the vocal is an entirely different take as well.   I will say this; if that's the case, then kudos to Fish, because while his voice has given him problems over the years (and I doubt he could sing the Marillion catalogue as he did in the '80s) he was remarkably consistent back in the day, even WITH all the extracurriculars.

Romdrums, you're right!  Kimsey did work with the Stones (he did that Emotional Rescue --> Undercover run, if memory serves, and I LOVE those records).   I'd really have liked him to be on Holidays; again, I'm not one to usually critique "production", but that's one of the few albums that I think really could benefit from a re-recording.  The songs sound so much better live, at least some of them do (some of the songs are unsalvagable; that record is Hogarth at his navel-gazing worst, IMO).

Holidays in Eden is the next one set to be re-issued with a remix, and supposedly the mix is a bit rockier (I’d have to go back to the podcast where H talked about it, but I’ve seen that repeated on the Marillion forum).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1597 on: January 30, 2022, 08:28:02 PM »
Songs on the new album:
1. Be Hard On Yourself 
2. Murder Machines
3. Reprogram the Gene
4. The Crow and the Nightingale
5. Sierra Leone
6. Care

Read more here - https://www.loudersound.com/news/marillion-reveal-song-titles-for-new-album-an-hour-before-its-dark

-Marc.

Here's the updated tracklist:

1. Be Hard On Yourself (9:27)
     i. The Tear In The Big Picture (3:52)
     ii. Lust For Luxury (2:07)
     iii. You Can Learn (3:28)
2. Reprogram The Gene (7:02)
     i. Invincible (3:32)
     ii. Trouble-Free Life (2:01)
     iii. A Cure For Us (1:29)
3. Only A Kiss (Instrumental) (0:39)
4. Murder Machines (4:21)
5. The Crow And The Nightingale (6:35)
6. Sierra Leone (10:55)
     i. Chance In A Million (1:33)
     ii. The White Sand (0:53)
     iii. The Diamond (3:30)
     iv. The Blue Warm Air (2:24)
     v. More Than A Treasure (2:35)
7. Care (15:20)
     i. Maintenance Drugs (4:37)
     ii. An Hour Before It’s Dark (2:28)
     iii. Every Call (3:19)
     iv. Angels On Earth (4:56)

Looks like they added an instrumental track and shuffled the running order a bit.

-Marc.

I never saw the track lengths posted in here so I've updated the above post with the track times and total song lengths. The album is roughly 54:19 long, so not even an hour long, and their shortest album since 2008's Happiness Is The Road, Volume 2: The Hard Shoulder (which was 52 minutes long). For as long as Marillion works on an album, I was kind of hoping for at least 60-65 minutes of new music, especially since it has been over 5 years since FEAR, but ah well. I'm excited to hear what they've got since I was never fully wowed by FEAR.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1598 on: January 30, 2022, 08:31:46 PM »
If they split all those parts into individual tracks like they did with FEAR, I’m gonna be ticked!

Online HOF

« Reply #1599 on: January 30, 2022, 08:40:32 PM »
Not super excited about the prospect of the long tracks being split up again. Will have to find a way to combine them. Anyone have any ideas for programs other than iTunes that will do this?

Next single, Murder Machines, drops on Friday. It’s supposed to be an edited version, which is odd if the album version is only 4:21 long.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1600 on: January 30, 2022, 08:49:57 PM »
I use iTunes to merge tracks from a CD, but for digital tracks that I need to merge I use this:

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut

It's free. Takes a little learning, but I absolutely love it. I have merged audio files and video files with it and never had an issue.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1601 on: January 30, 2022, 09:05:07 PM »
Not super excited about the prospect of the long tracks being split up again. Will have to find a way to combine them. Anyone have any ideas for programs other than iTunes that will do this?

Next single, Murder Machines, drops on Friday. It’s supposed to be an edited version, which is odd if the album version is only 4:21 long.

I think it might have an edited ending since "Murder Machines" and "The Crow And The Nightingale" are both on Side B of the double vinyl, so it's possible they segue into each other. The "edit" might just be removing the segue from the end of the song. It's interesting that Side A closes with 39 second instrumental, though. Sides C and D are the two multi-part songs respectively, but the vinyl's Side D also has the 12" Remix of "Murder Machines" tacked on at the end as well (though I do not see it as part of the CD tracklist).

-Marc.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1602 on: January 30, 2022, 09:33:34 PM »

I always use Audacity to edit audio files.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1603 on: January 30, 2022, 09:47:48 PM »

I used to until I learned it re-encodes after editing. That's a no-go for me. That's why I always seek out a program that will edit without a re-encode.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1604 on: January 30, 2022, 10:16:31 PM »

I used to until I learned it re-encodes after editing. That's a no-go for me. That's why I always seek out a program that will edit without a re-encode.
I've never had a problem with it. I'm always editing FLAC files and just export any edited files as 24bit FLAC.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online HOF

« Reply #1605 on: January 31, 2022, 08:14:54 AM »
Mark Kelly was on the Between You and Me podcast, and he went into a little bit about the new album (lots of focus on his new autobiography as well of course, and a bit about his solo album). He confirmed that the longer tracks are split up to maximize income from streaming. He also explained that the short little instrumental “only a kiss” is just a piano intro to Murder Machines. Sounds like the song Care is the one that has the band and everyone who’s heard the album jazzed up, though Kelly said The Crow and the Nightengale is his favorite (saw an interview where Rothery said the same actually).

It’s a fun interview with some insight on relationships in the band, their working process, etc.

https://shows.acast.com/between-you-and-me/episodes/marillions-mark-kelly-interviewed

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1606 on: January 31, 2022, 08:43:44 AM »
Mark Kelly was on the Between You and Me podcast, and he went into a little bit about the new album (lots of focus on his new autobiography as well of course, and a bit about his solo album). He confirmed that the longer tracks are split up to maximize income from streaming. He also explained that the short little instrumental “only a kiss” is just a piano intro to Murder Machines. Sounds like the song Care is the one that has the band and everyone who’s heard the album jazzed up, though Kelly said The Crow and the Nightengale is his favorite (saw an interview where Rothery said the same actually).

It’s a fun interview with some insight on relationships in the band, their working process, etc.

https://shows.acast.com/between-you-and-me/episodes/marillions-mark-kelly-interviewed

I did think "Only A Kiss" could be an intro piece for "Murder Machines" but the site I saw with a vinyl tracklisting had it at the end of Side A, though that might be incorrect. It definitely makes more sense to be on Side B with MM and TCATN for 11:35 of music total.

-Marc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1607 on: January 31, 2022, 09:26:28 AM »

What does that mean, precisely?

I use Garageband to edit and then export lossless.  Does that "re-encode" too? Is that bad?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: January 31, 2022, 09:29:37 AM »

And the more things change, the more they stay the same.   Black Sabbath used to do something similar with their albums.

War Pigs is actually "War Pigs/Luke's Wall". 
After Forever is actually "The Elegy/After Forever"

There are a ton more (about half of both Master Of Reality and Paranoid, for example).  I remember Geezer saying it was about the publishing.

Online HOF

« Reply #1609 on: January 31, 2022, 09:41:08 AM »

And the more things change, the more they stay the same.   Black Sabbath used to do something similar with their albums.

War Pigs is actually "War Pigs/Luke's Wall". 
After Forever is actually "The Elegy/After Forever"

There are a ton more (about half of both Master Of Reality and Paranoid, for example).  I remember Geezer saying it was about the publishing.

Yeah, Genesis did that with Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers/In That Quiet Earth to get Hackett another individual writing credit on the album.