Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232728 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Marillion
« Reply #1540 on: September 22, 2021, 08:11:49 AM »
Songs on the new album:
1. Be Hard On Yourself 
2. Murder Machines
3. Reprogram the Gene
4. The Crow and the Nightingale
5. Sierra Leone
6. Care

Read more here - https://www.loudersound.com/news/marillion-reveal-song-titles-for-new-album-an-hour-before-its-dark

-Marc.

Just six songs, so expecting some more longer songs like on FEAR. Kind of hope they don’t split them up again like they did for that (technically FEAR was just 5/6 songs depending on how you categorize Tomorrow’s New Country).

I’m a little surprised they are going the epic route since they have talked a lot about how much more up tempo or energetic this album is. Was kind of expecting more shorter songs, but I suppose we don’t know which ones might be epic and which aren’t.

Also, they’ve been saying for about a month now that they are done recording and it is just needing to be mixed. I’m almost certain that is an old quote in the article since the hope was to be done mixing by the end of September so they could deliver it for manufacture by the end of the month. They’ve already confirmed a six month wait time for production, so if they don’t get it done this month, it won’t be out before April 2022 at the earliest.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1541 on: September 22, 2021, 09:59:01 AM »
Songs on the new album:
1. Be Hard On Yourself 
2. Murder Machines
3. Reprogram the Gene
5. Sierra Leone
6. Care

Read more here - https://www.loudersound.com/news/marillion-reveal-song-titles-for-new-album-an-hour-before-its-dark

-Marc.

Just six songs, so expecting some more longer songs like on FEAR. Kind of hope they don’t split them up again like they did for that (technically FEAR was just 5/6 songs depending on how you categorize Tomorrow’s New Country).

I’m a little surprised they are going the epic route since they have talked a lot about how much more up tempo or energetic this album is. Was kind of expecting more shorter songs, but I suppose we don’t know which ones might be epic and which aren’t.

Also, they’ve been saying for about a month now that they are done recording and it is just needing to be mixed. I’m almost certain that is an old quote in the article since the hope was to be done mixing by the end of September so they could deliver it for manufacture by the end of the month. They’ve already confirmed a six month wait time for production, so if they don’t get it done this month, it won’t be out before April 2022 at the earliest.

Has it been said how long the album will be? I assume it'll be a single disc based on the pre-orders, but it could be 45 minutes or it could be 75 minutes. Either way, I suspect at least one "epic-length" tune among those six, in the 15-20 minute range.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1542 on: September 22, 2021, 10:15:59 AM »
Songs on the new album:
1. Be Hard On Yourself 
2. Murder Machines
3. Reprogram the Gene
5. Sierra Leone
6. Care

-Marc.

Has it been said how long the album will be? I assume it'll be a single disc based on the pre-orders, but it could be 45 minutes or it could be 75 minutes. Either way, I suspect at least one "epic-length" tune among those six, in the 15-20 minute range.

-Marc.

Not that I can recall off the top of my head, though I believe they confirmed it was a single disc. I would be somewhat surprised if it’s a shorter length like 45 minutes, but you never know!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1543 on: September 22, 2021, 10:40:14 AM »
So Marillion, which is it?  Don't Hurt Yourself or Be Hard on Yourself?  Can you be hard on yourself without hurting yourself?  I hope they can answer that question!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1544 on: September 23, 2021, 03:09:57 AM »
So Marillion, which is it?  Don't Hurt Yourself or Be Hard on Yourself?  Can you be hard on yourself without hurting yourself?  I hope they can answer that question!

That was the first thing I thought of!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1545 on: September 23, 2021, 11:42:46 PM »
Can you be hard on yourself without hurting yourself?
Yes..... :zydarscouch:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline HOF

« Reply #1546 on: October 07, 2021, 09:13:23 AM »
So Marillion launched a crowdfunding campaign this morning to insure their European tour since no insurers will do it. Managed to get Forbes to write about it:

https://www.forbes.com/uk/advisor/personal-finance/2021/10/07/insurance-crisis-sees-rock-band-ask-fans-to-back-tour/?fbclid=IwAR2UuTRT4Xuv69BjYWtISY5osr4OFmU7OH4P3quEluCB2xKuDOldf9e8ORg

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1547 on: October 07, 2021, 09:20:54 AM »
So Marillion launched a crowdfunding campaign this morning to insure their European tour since no insurers will do it. Managed to get Forbes to write about it:

https://www.forbes.com/uk/advisor/personal-finance/2021/10/07/insurance-crisis-sees-rock-band-ask-fans-to-back-tour/?fbclid=IwAR2UuTRT4Xuv69BjYWtISY5osr4OFmU7OH4P3quEluCB2xKuDOldf9e8ORg

Saw that. Have mixed feelings about it. But I totally get it. I mean Metallica right now is suing their insurers because they don't want to cover the South American tour that was cancelled. So there are some problems with insurers not wanting to insure rock bands right now.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1548 on: October 07, 2021, 10:23:07 AM »

Saw that. Have mixed feelings about it. But I totally get it. I mean Metallica right now is suing their insurers because they don't want to cover the South American tour that was cancelled. So there are some problems with insurers not wanting to insure rock bands right now.

Just judging from feedback on Facebook and the Marillion forum, they seem to be getting a lot of support. I was worried when I saw it that it may be asking too much on the heels of the pre-order campaign. I think it helps to have an older fan base with disposable income. I personally decided against paying for any of the expensive pre-order items, and I’m not planning to help fund this either, but I’m glad they will have some financial security going into the tour as I certainly don’t want to see them bankrupted if something goes wrong on the tour.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1549 on: October 16, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »

Hope it works out for them , but I don't want to be a part of that.

I get it. Tours are not being insured and that puts bands and crews in a rough spot. I'd have been happy to pay for a live release or an album of covers or jams or something.

Fish has decided to risk it by going on tour with no insurance and record the first gig which he would later release if gigs if they have to cancel any gigs.

Makes you begin to wonder if bands could unite and form their own group insurance.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1550 on: October 29, 2021, 09:58:06 AM »
So the download of the first new track, Be Hard On Yourself, is now available for anyone who pre-ordered (I did not, so I can't say what it's like, but generally seeing positive reactions from the Marrillion online-o-sphere). Apparently just have to go to the pre-order site and there should be a link in your account to download it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1551 on: October 29, 2021, 10:29:14 AM »
So the download of the first new track, Be Hard On Yourself, is now available for anyone who pre-ordered (I did not, so I can't say what it's like, but generally seeing positive reactions from the Marrillion online-o-sphere). Apparently just have to go to the pre-order site and there should be a link in your account to download it.

Any way of hearing it without the pre-order? I'm on the fence on that part. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1552 on: October 29, 2021, 10:33:40 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, just downloaded the new song (which is split into 3 parts). At 9:27 long, it's a hefty piece and has a lot of signature modern Marillion elements bit as a whole it caught me off guard a bit. Definitely an exciting song and it has me curious/ready for the whole album, whenever it'll come out.

I believe the track is only available for download for those who preorder through the band's website.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1553 on: October 29, 2021, 10:36:41 AM »
I was going to preorder, and the cheapest to ship Vinyl = $32

$32 just to ship it?..I love these guys, but i am going to likely wait.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1554 on: October 29, 2021, 10:52:22 AM »
I was going to preorder, and the cheapest to ship Vinyl = $32

$32 just to ship it?..I love these guys, but i am going to likely wait.

Yeah, the shipping alone made pre-ordering in the US a non-starter. Just the CD alone was $10.00 shipping, and you only got your name in the credits for the big expensive bundles. I am curious about this song, but It's also a good chunk of the album, so maybe I'll just wait.

Thanks for the heads up, just downloaded the new song (which is split into 3 parts). At 9:27 long, it's a hefty piece and has a lot of signature modern Marillion elements bit as a whole it caught me off guard a bit. Definitely an exciting song and it has me curious/ready for the whole album, whenever it'll come out.

Not loving that they've split an epic into multiple tracks again. Are the parts more or less distinct pieces that you might want to listen to on their own at least?

The cynical part of me figures the song will make its way to YouTube eventually. It's not like I'm not going to buy the album, so I may check it out whenever it gets there.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1555 on: October 29, 2021, 11:06:30 AM »
I just don't do CDs anymore, don't even have a player plugged in. All my listening is streaming, so if it isn't signed or something, I'll just support the band through merch and wait for the stream of it. I have heard good things across the board about the new track though.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1556 on: October 29, 2021, 10:20:24 PM »

Saw where Lucy mentioned on Facebook that it is getting released to streaming services sometime in November. I think 11/18 but not sure if that's official.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1557 on: October 31, 2021, 06:10:16 PM »
I can't wait for those two live Rothery Band albums that should be shipping in about a week.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1558 on: November 03, 2021, 06:05:52 AM »
Anyone know why the Marillion forum has been down all week? Or is it just me and everyone else is fine?
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1559 on: November 03, 2021, 06:33:22 AM »
I pre-ordered the signed vinyl version, will my name be in the booklet?   ???
any rock can be made to roll

Offline HOF

« Reply #1560 on: November 03, 2021, 07:04:10 AM »
Anyone know why the Marillion forum has been down all week? Or is it just me and everyone else is fine?

The official word from Lucy on Facebook: “There seems to be a problem with it. We are looking into it.”

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1561 on: November 03, 2021, 07:27:48 AM »

Only if you ordered before the deadline (which I believe was Sept 30th, and only if you placed your order with the specific option to have your name displayed in the album credits.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1562 on: November 03, 2021, 07:29:23 AM »

Only if you ordered before the deadline (which I believe was Sept 30th, and only if you placed your order with the specific option to have your name displayed in the album credits.

-Marc.

I did order it before the deadline (actually ON 30/9), but I didn't see that "specific option". Did that cost any extra money?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1563 on: November 03, 2021, 07:30:52 AM »
Shit, forgot about the name thing. I just pre-ordered them a few minutes ago.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1564 on: November 03, 2021, 07:37:14 AM »

-Marc.

I did order it before the deadline (actually ON 30/9), but I didn't see that "specific option". Did that cost any extra money?

I believe it was only the people who ordered the deluxe package that got their name in the credits.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1565 on: November 03, 2021, 08:05:39 AM »

-Marc.

I believe it was only the people who ordered the deluxe package that got their name in the credits.

Looking back at my email from Sept 8 of my order, I did indeed order the CD/DVD Deluxe (Signed) with Personalization (name included in credits). If your order email doesn't list it as Deluxe or show your Personalization option, you didn't order it with that option (which did cost more of course).

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1566 on: November 04, 2021, 06:14:31 AM »
Super short teaser with what I assume to be the cover art:

https://twitter.com/marilliononline/status/1456227051007000581?s=21

I like the sound of that.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1567 on: November 04, 2021, 07:01:09 AM »
Yep, that sounds like modern Marillion. The groove reminds me a bit of The Man From The Planet Marzipan.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1568 on: November 19, 2021, 06:14:12 AM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/marillion-release-full-details-of-upbeat-new-album-an-hour-before-its-dark

Looks like the new album will be due out on March 4th, not long after my birthday!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1569 on: November 19, 2021, 06:24:55 AM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/marillion-release-full-details-of-upbeat-new-album-an-hour-before-its-dark

Looks like the new album will be due out on March 4th, not long after my birthday!

-Marc.

The track list includes one new track that wasn’t mentioned before. I think I heard somewhere there might be an additional track. I wonder if they just snipped a section from one of the longer songs or if it was some additional music they had that they decided to include during mixing.

Kind of glad this is in March so it won’t come out too close to Big Big Train’s new album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1570 on: November 19, 2021, 06:43:42 AM »

-Marc.

The track list includes one new track that wasn’t mentioned before. I think I heard somewhere there might be an additional track. I wonder if they just snipped a section from one of the longer songs or if it was some additional music they had that they decided to include during mixing.

Kind of glad this is in March so it won’t come out too close to Big Big Train’s new album.

But it'll also be coming out close to the new Flower Kings album. So much new music in the first three months of next year already between BBT, TFK, Marillion and Star One.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1571 on: November 19, 2021, 08:12:19 AM »
They’ve made the fist track Be Hard on Yourself available for streaming for everyone now:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v4VfrnTvm9Y&fbclid=IwAR3hzR9U8yzir3cg2fDfENmizxviTaK4lIjhsJiUbB8BH5SerNCi24QyC-c

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1572 on: November 19, 2021, 08:18:35 AM »
:)  :tup

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1573 on: November 19, 2021, 08:23:06 AM »
March 2022? That's a long wait.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1574 on: November 19, 2021, 08:25:12 AM »
Songs on the new album:
1. Be Hard On Yourself 
2. Murder Machines
3. Reprogram the Gene
5. Sierra Leone
6. Care

-Marc.

Here's the updated tracklist:

1. Be Hard On Yourself
     i. The Tear In The Big Picture
     ii. Lust For Luxury
     iii. You Can Learn
2. Reprogram The Gene
     i. Invincible
     ii. Trouble-Free Life
     iii. A Cure For Us
3. Only A Kiss (Instrumental)
4. Murder Machines
5. The Crow And The Nightingale
6. Sierra Leone
     i. Chance In A Million
     ii. The White Sand
     iii. The Diamond
     iv. The Blue Warm Air
     v. More Than A Treasure
7. Care
     i. Maintenance Drugs
     ii. An Hour Before It’s Dark
     iii. Every Call
     iv. Angels On Earth

Looks like they added an instrumental track and shuffled the running order a bit.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 08:40:51 AM by The Letter M »